EC sings "I Surrender Dear" on Boardwalk Empire soundtrack

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

EC sings "I Surrender Dear" on Boardwalk Empire soundtrack

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Not to be confused with EC's contribution to the last Boardwalk Empire soundtrack...

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/el ... alk-empire

Exclusive: Listen to Elvis Costello's 'I Surrender Dear' from Boardwalk Empire
The rocker covers a Bing Crosby song for the show's new soundtrack

By Peter Gerstenzang on October 22, 2014

They've both worn bow ties and straw boaters, and betrayed a weakness for ballads. Especially the sort in which the singer acknowledges how overmatched he is by a woman. So it makes perfect sense that for HBO's Prohibition-era drama Boardwalk Empire, music supervisor Randall Poster grabbed the eclectic Elvis Costello to croon Bing Crosby's 1931 hit "I Surrender Dear."

We're happy to debut this deceptively sad little ditty from the show's fifth and final season and third soundtrack, out on October 27 on ABKCO Records, which also features David Johansen, Loudon Wainwright, Norah Jones, Regina Spektor, and more. (Costello previously contributed to Boardwalk's second-volume soundtrack.) Following the show's tradition of scrupulous period detail, this tune utilizes the transcription of original arranger Jimmy Greer, from Bing's rendition with Gus Arnheim's orchestra. You'll find yourself pleasantly startled, after that victrola sound (so authentic, you expect to hear scratches), to hear the former New Waver as he sings, "Little mean things we were doing/Must have been part of the game/Lending a spice to the wooing/Oh, but I don't care who's to blame."

Elvis Costello weighed in briefly on "Surrender":

"What more is there to say?" says the man who once affected skinny ties and earth-scorching sardonicism. "I wish I'd written that. I'm lucky to sing it. What a band."

The October 27 release date seems to refer to a download-only release. Amazon says a CD version will be out January 13.
FAVEHOUR

Re: EC sings "I Surrender Dear" on Boardwalk Empire soundtra

Post by FAVEHOUR »

This must be planned for the credits for the last episode....it airs Sunday, and I haven't heard Elvis so far this season, unless I got up too quickly...

Dave
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Thanks for the heads up. I missed the previous soundtrack contribution, so now I have to nab both.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Very nice vocal.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Killer tune. Bing rules!
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks for the HUp/link. Nice song.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
johnfoyle

Re: EC sings "I Surrender Dear" on Boardwalk Empire soundtrack

Post by johnfoyle »