What will bring 2014?

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

What will bring 2014?

Post by sweetest punch »

At the beginning of 2014, we can wonder what 2014 will bring for us, EC fans?

These things we know:

"My Festival" in Rome (march - april 2014): 8 days of music and film (with Metropole Orchestra, Alan Toussaint and others...).

An Australian tour with the Imposters (april 2014).

A solo tour in the UK (perhaps Europe) in july 2014.

A memoir ( "disgressions from his memorable song lyrics") - fall 2014.

One or two musicals with Burt Bacharach on Broadway? (The "Painted From Memory" musical and / or the Austin Powers musical).

In august it will be 60 years ago that Elvis was born. Hopefully this will be celebrated with some kind of anniversary concert or with the release of a carreer spanning "Best of".
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Re: What will bring 2014?

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sweetest punch wrote:In august it will be 60 years ago that Elvis was born. Hopefully this will be celebrated with some kind of anniversary concert or with the release of a carreer spanning "Best of".
Bruce Thomas awaits by his phone...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

at least one U.S. IMPOSTERS show in March. how about one surprise and quickly made WITH THE IMPOSTERS new rocking lp too? :wink: :wink:
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:In august it will be 60 years ago that Elvis was born. Hopefully this will be celebrated with some kind of anniversary concert or with the release of a carreer spanning "Best of".
Bruce Thomas awaits by his phone...
"...we're sorry the number you have dialed is no longer in service. Please check your phone directory...."
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

bronxapostle wrote:at least one U.S. IMPOSTERS show in March. how about one surprise and quickly made WITH THE IMPOSTERS new rocking lp too? :wink: :wink:
Sorry, forgot about that one.
Hopefully it will turn out to be a full tour.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
krm

Post by krm »

a couple of reissues wouldn´t be wrong either......
cwr

Post by cwr »

Hopes/wishes for 2014:

• continued work with The Roots, even something as minor as another appearance on Fallon
• more Mobile Fidelity LP reissues (including the mysterious gaps such as Trust and Goodbye Cruel World)
• the first vinyl editions of Kojak Variety and Painted From Memory

In past years, I would have wished for a new album or even two, or for something like an official release of all the Wendy James Demos, but now I've reached a point where I don't get my hopes too high and am pleasantly surprised when something awesome happens like WUG. I think the above three "wishes" are actually pretty realistic. He's bound to keep teaming up with The Roots, even if it's not for a full album, just because they are friends and it is fun for them. I feel pretty confident that Costello will make some kind of Tonight Show appearance with them before 2015. And those vinyl reissues have a kind of momentum of their own, although maybe they could come to a halt just like those live CD editions suddenly stopped a few years back...
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I have high hopes for the Broadway shows, and hope they'll be great. But I'll be surprised if both or any of them surface - Broadway shows are a nightmare to put together, with loads of producers wanting to stick their oars in etc. Will Elvis have the patience to kow-tow to so many different people?

I'm more interested in the PFM one - I think Austin Powers might be something of a tired character. Who knows?!
Jack of All Parades

Having just watched Sarah Polley's masterful take on narrative recollection, I would most welcome this year the publication of his memoirs- I have a feeling his take on personal narrative would make for a compeling and psychologically complex read. I am curious to read how time has treated his memories of a life so richly lived.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I not asking for much other than a few west coast shows. Tempted to book something for that March show in AC. Could do a little east coast hang time with family and could also work remote. Hmm... sorry for the ramble. Debating it... I need a miracle ticket to make it happen. Who has one? :)
Jack of All Parades

Well if this old geezer has seen the light:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20140117

perhaps another slightly younger geezer will, as well. :roll:
krm

Post by krm »

well, the old geezer needs some "fine-tuning" to the offer according to this article
http://stayhardstayhungry.wordpress.com ... ive-shows/
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

krm wrote:well, the old geezer needs some "fine-tuning" to the offer according to this article
http://stayhardstayhungry.wordpress.com ... ive-shows/
The Springsteen fan site backstreets.com/btx is exploding with outrage over this issue. And I agree. It's a horrible model that Bruce has chosen.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hey doc...you know ba; KING OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY and all...but, i am imagining that whatever medium this is, an astute computer guy (like you, perhaps) would indeed be able to transfer these shows from whatever this contraption is to cd, no???
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Way to go, Bruce! Every artist should be doing this. Where is the Elvis band? Bring it! I'm buying in on this Bruce download action. Hope a large portion of the money goes directly to the artist/musicians. Screw big label middle agents! Up with direct cash-to-artist transactions!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:hey doc...you know ba; KING OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY and all...but, i am imagining that whatever medium this is, an astute computer guy (like you, perhaps) would indeed be able to transfer these shows from whatever this contraption is to cd, no???
Yes. Of course. But Bruce is charging $48 per show for mp3 format, which is way above market value. Plus you have to order an mp3 bracelet by mail (or buy it at the show), then insert into your computer in order to download.

It's an archaic delivery system, plus too expensive.

Thus the overwhelming backlash over at BTX.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

surprised BRUCE arrived at this, clearly a NEIL YOUNG, pricing system. SHEESH! i'll stick to the bootlegs. i don't even want more than the shows i attend of Bruce anymore what with being able to see virtually ANY one-off song at youtube nowadays. it is NOT like the good old days where you NEEDED a show! :|
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Maybe his management learned a little bit about his fan base and determined they are part of the elite - a group of people making loads and loads of money. So, yeah, I would charge them double/triple... Screw them. Might as well take their money since no one else below the elite has seen a pay raise in awhile. I'm sure there will be more stuff made available over the wristband, too. Discounts, free music, whatever you want. I'd buy one just to support this new model. Need to check this wristband out. Who is the manufacturer/provider? Yeah, I'll shut up now. Carry on and ignore post (as you do).
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

But this sort of pricing structure combined with a cumbersome apparatus is just another example of getting "new" technology wrong. Sure, a chunk of the audience will always rip you off. But I think another, significant chunk will not do that IF they feel they're being treated fairly and not being bilked. It's a tiny bit like the extra CDs on the Dylan Bootleg Series releases, priced at, like, $90 for an extra disc - it creates a positive incentive to bootleg. Hell, you're a sucker not to bootleg, at those prices.

But hey, if Bruce's audience is willing to pay (the way Dylan's is), then I guess you can't fault the plan...supply and demand, right?
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones