Elvis & The Imposters, Auckland (New Zealand), Apr 27, 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis & The Imposters, Auckland (New Zealand), Apr 27, 2014

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/mu ... ew-Zealand

Elvis Costello to return to New Zealand

Acclaimed singer-songwriter Elvis Costello has confirmed a return to New Zealand in 2014.

Along with The Imposters, Costello will play just one show in Auckland on April 27 at The Civic after his already announced festival appearances at Deni Blues & Roots and Byron Bay's Bluesfest in Austrlia.

Costello has toured in New Zealand around a dozen times since the late 70s.

He is best known for his performances with The Attractions, the Imposters and his solo shows with pianist Steve Neive.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Auckland (New Zealand), Apr 27, 2

Post by bronxapostle »

love seeing dates, dates and more dates. the man and the band are machines....thank God.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Preview here: http://13thfloor.co.nz/artist-features/ ... w-zealand/

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS RETURN TO NEW ZEALAND

EC & Imposters

"New Zealand continues its lengthy love affair when Elvis Costello, the acclaimed singer-songwriter, returns to New Zealand in April 2014 bringing with him The Imposters. For a long time Costello has been a favoured son of New Zealand, having toured here around a dozen times since the late 70’s.

Costello will play just one show in Auckland on Sunday 27th April at the The Civic after his already announced festival appearances at Deni Blues & Roots in Deniliquin and Byron Bay’s Bluesfest in Australia.

ELVIS COSTELLO has followed his musical curiosity in a career spanning almost four decades with a back catalogue of over 40 albums covering nearly every genre of music. He is probably best known for his performances with The Attractions, The Imposters and his solo shows with pianist Steve Nieve.

A swag of nominations and awards litter his historic trail (including Grammy Awards, ASCAP’s prestigious Founders Award, an Oscar Nomination and being inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame) evidence of the respect and awe this performer commands from his peers. Such diversity and credibility over the decades tells its own story of legend.

Fans will know the wide range of Elvis Costello songs delivered by artists as varied as Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield, George Jones, Robert Wyatt, and the gospel vocal group The Fairfield Four. His has also collaborated with Burt Bacharach, Paul McCartney, The Brodsky Quartet, Swedish mezzo-soprano Sofie Von Otter and record producer/songwriter T Bone Burnett. More recently he gate crashed his own horizons by ‘collaborating’ with The Roots, producing Wise Up Ghost, one of this years finest musical offerings.

Elvis and The Imposters (Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher) will present an incredible night of entertainment taking audiences through the Costello musical encyclopedia refresher course with a selection of songs from the past, present and future.

TICKETS GO ON SALE THURSDAY 28TH NOVEMBER, 9am

Sunday 27th April The Civic, Auckland (ALL AGES)

http://www.ticketmaster.co.nz 09 970 9700 / 0800 111 999"

"He gate crashed his own horizons"??

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going etc?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Any news?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From a photo gallery by Michael Flynn at below link

http://13thfloor.co.nz/reviews/concert- ... l-27-2014/

Elvis Costello & The Imposters – Civic Theatre April 27, 2014

Marty Duda

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/presenters/marty-duda

With over 30 albums to his credit in a career that stretches back to 1977, Elvis Costello has a substantial catalogue of songs to draw from. Last night, at Auckland’s Civic Theatre, he put that catalogue to good use, delivering gems from a dozen albums that all seemed to form a cohesive two-hour show.

Costello and his Imposters had just performed at the same venue in January of 2013, so it would be interesting to see if he could avoid repeating the same show.

Not a problem.

In the interim, he has released Wise Up Ghost, collaboration with The Roots, from which he played four songs. The rest came from that impressive catalogue…although, by no means what it a “greatest hits” set.

He and the band got down to business right away…stringing three rockers together, letting the audience know that although most of them had been playing together for over 35 years, they still had plenty of energy and enthusiasm.

“It’s good to be back”, the dapper looking Costello announced as the band vamped before launching into Everyday I Write The Book. The crowd, most of whom looked like they had ben fans since 1977, clapped and sang along. Keyboard player Steve Nieve added a few new flourishes to keep the song fresh.

Davey Faragher’s loping bass line propelled the next number…Watch Your Step…an overlooked gem from 1981’s Trust.

Then next came one of my favourites, Brilliant Mistake, from 86’s King Of America.

It was like listening to all of Costello’s albums on random shuffle…each song was an unexpected delight.

Elvis slowed things down with his version of Good Year For The Roses and then Jimmie Standing In The Rain, a song that echoes the music of the 1930s. He finished the song with a brief, but emotional few lines of Brother, Can You Spare A Dime, sung away from the microphone. The crowd loved it.

Costello has grown immeasurably from the angry, spewing performer I first witnessed back in 1978. Nowadays, he jokes amiable with the crowd and tells wonderful stories, such as his days as a 17-year-old playing with his father’s dance band in Blackpool.

He also paid tribute to fellow singer-songwriter Jesse Winchester, who recently died, with a moving version of Winchester’s Quiet About It.

Following that, he played a rather solemn I Hope…finishing the song with “So long, bye bye, I forget you bye and bye, I hope”.

Then he and the band left the stage.

Although they had been playing for over an hour, it seemed too early.

Apparently Costello thought so too. They returned to play for an additional 45 minutes beginning with a re-vamped Watching The Detectives, featuring a thrilling, discordant guitar solo by Costello and a bull horn.

After Walk Us Uptown, from Wise Up Ghost, it was back to the 70s with a batch of old favourites.

Earlier in the evening, someone in the crowd called out for Costello to turn up his guitar.
He must have heard him, because, aside from the ballad Alison, Elvis used the last part of the show to let loose on the guitar, playing blistering solos during (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea.

By the time he got to Clubland and Sugar Won’t Work, he was in Hendrix territory, working his wah wah like a 1960’s guitar God. Come to think of it, he even threw in a few nice licks during Alison.

The evening ending with a thundering version of (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding. At this point it felt like they didn’t want to stop playing…with drummer Pete Thomas driving the beat hard til the very end.

“That’s how we roll”, quipped Costello as he and the band took their bows.

A fantastic display of songwriting and musicianship, and more impressive, a fresh, enthusiastic, and at times, quite emotional performance. Please come around every year Elvis!

Elvis Costello set list:

Monkey To Man (The Delivery Man 2004)
You Belong To Me (This Year’s Model 1978)
Beaten To The Punch (Get Happy!! 1980)
Everyday I Write The Book (Punch The clock 1983)
Watch Your Step (Trust 1981)
Brilliant Mistake (King Of America 1986)
Viceroy’s Row (Wise Up Ghost 2013)
Ascension Day (The River In Reverse 2006)
Good Year For The Roses (Almost Blue 1981)
Jimmie Standing In The Rain (National Ransom 2010)
Blame It On Cain (My Aim Is True (1977)
Motel Matches (Get Happy!! 1980)
Come The Meantimes (Wise Up Ghost 2013)
Bedlam (The Delivery Man 2004)
Quiet About It (Jesse Winchester cover)
I Hope (National Ransom 2010)
Watching The Detectives (My Aim Is True 1977)
Walk Us Uptown (Wise Up Ghost 2013)
(I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea (This Year’s Model 1978)
Oliver’s Army (Armed Forces 1978)
Pump It Up (This Year’s Model 1978)
Alison (My Aim Is True 1977)
Clubland (Trust 1980)
Sugar Won’t Work (Wise Up Ghost 2013)
(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding (Armed Forces 1978)
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Man out of Time

Apparently there was a support act - Tom Lark, a Christchurch lad. No mention of him in the preceding review, but perhaps the reviewer missed him. Read all about it here:

http://libel.co.nz/blog_posts/6461-tom_ ... his_sunday

"Tom Lark to open for Elvis Costello's Auckland show this Sunday

Acclaimed singer-songwriter Elvis Costello will play just one show in Auckland on Sunday 27th April with his band The Imposters at The Civic, following performances at Deni Blues & Roots in Deniliquin and Byron Bay's Bluesfest in Australia and the inaugural Queenstown Blues and Roots Festival.

Elvis and The Imposters (Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher) will present an incredible night of entertainment, taking their audience through the Costello musical encyclopedia refresher course with a selection of songs from the past, present and future.

Opening for Elvis in Auckland is young Christchurch singer Tom Lark, who has an ear for a melody and a penchant for transforming noise into revolutionary tunes. With a sound described as "a million school kids singing" Tom Lark's unconventional - yet timeless - pop tunes are sweet candy to the ears of an alternative audience bored of feel good folk music. His songs marry ricocheting samples with folk guitar work, a plaintive voice and a deft sense of storytelling, revealing the ingenuity of unconventional sounds blended with unadulterated pop melodies.

Over the last few months, Tom has been writing and recording in his Auckland based studio, completing work on his highly anticipated debut album and taking on a production role for fellow NZ artists.

Being asked to support an artist of Elvis Costello's calibre is a great reflection on Tom's talent, and the perfect opportunity to showcase tracks off his soon to be released debut album.

Elvis Costello with special guest Tom LarkElvis Costello & The Imposters

April 27th: The Civic, Auckland"

MOOT
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Sounds like a set list for the ages. Good for the kiwis.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:Sounds like a set list for the ages. Good for the kiwis.
I agree. Any setlist with "I Hope" AND "Come the Meantimes"? Killer. And "Monkey to Man" is certainly an interesting way to kick off a show,
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=11245594

Concert Review: Elvis Costello and the Imposters, Civic

Elvis Costello and the Imposters may have played at the Civic just over a year ago but any possibility of deja vu soon evaporated a few songs in.

This was a show to remind that veteran Brit Costello has made more than 30 albums since 1977's My Aim Is True.

And it was also to remind that last year he delivered one of his more invigorating collections of recent times with Wise Up Ghost, a collaboration with hip-hop band The Roots, four songs of which featured among the two dozen or so played on Sunday night.

But for the main set, this was largely an alternative take on Costello's vast back catalogue.

Sure, there were some familiar touches like the soul-shaped 1983 hit Everyday I Write the Book and the Almost Blue country hit Good Year for the Roses a few songs later.

But for the first hour-plus this was a sometimes confounding wander off the beaten track, a kind of fanclub-friendly B-side rummage.

Though if it wasn't big on easy familiarity, it didn't lack for initial energy - right from the opening blast of Monkey to Man, You Belong to Me and Beaten to the Punch.

But after that, it took a while to regain that opening momentum as it wandered across the years.

Still, it all came delivered with the bracing punchy grooviness of Costello's band - two-thirds of his original Attractions - with keyboardist Steve Nieve a flurry of ivory ticking activity in almost every song.

And it had stories too. A chatty engaging Costello offered anecdotes about his musician grandfather and father ahead of Jimmie Standing in the Rain.

That segued into an off-microphone Brother Can you Spare a Dime, a song originally sung by, amongst others, Al Jolson whose talkie movies Costello said his grandma blamed for the demise of hers husband's silent cinema gig: "And that woman could hold a grudge."

Also getting the personal touch was Quiet About It, a song from by singer-songwriter Jesse Winchester who died earlier this month and who Costello said he had covered while attempting to be a coffee-house folkie as a youngster.

That main set certainly had its insightful intriguing moments. But it was the nine-song encore which had the fun.

Especially when it neatly married Wise Up Ghost tracks like Walk Us Uptown and Sugar Won't Work to old reliables like Watching the Detectives and (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea, with Costello letting loose on guitar.

A storming (What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding offered a resounding ending just as it did last year.

This time it was the capper on a show that might not have quite equalled the spark of 2013's long-awaited return but those gathered will now be wishing for a trilogy in the Costello-Civic annual fixtures.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
tinbrooklyn

Post by tinbrooklyn »

Beaten to the punch!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes, VERY impressive as i was at the LAST two times it was played. a staggering over 25 years between them and nearly seven since the last!

1981-02-02 New York, NY US Palladium (New York) English Mugs Tour The Attractions, Martin Belmont, Glenn Tilbrook
2007-12-31 Atlantic City, NJ US House Of Blues (Atlantic City) The Imposters
2014-04-27 Auckland
Man out of Time

Another review here:
http://www.elsewhere.co.nz/livereviews/ ... l-27-2014/

"Elvis Costello & the Imposters; Civic Hall, Auckland

Elsewhere: Graham Reid: 28th April, 2014

Most artists understand their audience's requirement and expectation so include at least a smattering of their most famous or best loved songs. And so it was that Elvis Costello and his gifted Imposters fired off in quick succession I Don't Wanna Go To Chelsea, Pump It Up, My Aim is True, Oliver's Army, What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding . . .

But in this exceptional show (the setlist of which didn't replicate their appearance in the same venue a year previous) those crowd-pleasers were reserved for the encore.

Before that Costello had roamed far and wide through his extraordinarily large songbook touching on his angry young man period (You Belong to Me), love of country (a delightful cover of Good Year for the Roses) and nods to soul (Everyday I Write the Book with a clever punctuating rhythm and him taking the portable mike to the front of the stage).

More than that though, there were some fascinating choices which were real diehard fans-only stuff (Watch Your Step, King of America).

And he came right up to last year's Wise Up Ghost album with the Roots for Walk Us Uptown and Viceroy's Row (although on the latter his sometimes mannered vocals rendered it something less than engaging).

He also included Ascension Day (from the album River in Reverse with Allen Toussaint), told a funny story about playing in his father's danceband at age 17 and another about staying in the famous Tropicana Motel in LA (before playing Motel Matches) . . . and generally behaved as the "beloved entertainer" he once, almost cynically, described himself.

There are few artists with this length of career behind them (he first played Pump It Up in Auckland in 1985, almost 30 years ago, striding up the aisle of the long-since demolished His Majesty's Theatre) who can still sound relevant and exciting.

Throughout there were reminders of just how classy a songwriter Costello is, and how Steve Nieve's piano part on My Aim is True really makes that song. And Costello played some furiously flailing guitar to the point that it might not have been surprising if he'd dropped in something by Hendrix.

Costello and band, who once again often didn't pause for breath between songs, delivered a memorable performance which never once felt like he was playing a game, even with those crowd-pleasing closers.

At the end he shouted, "See you again" and on the strength of this and last year's shows you can only hope that he, like Bob Dylan, becomes one of those regulars who will always have the capacity to surprise for the sheer depth and breadth of the songs they have at their fingertips.

A blinder. Another."

Thanks to EC.com for the link.

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I saw The Imposters a few times after gigs on 2013 in the UK and badgered them, especially Pete and Steve about doing BTTPunch and in the end I said, it's in 7ths you know and Pete rolled his eyes and Steve smirked - think this was possibly after the great meet and great at Sheffield :roll:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »