New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Re: New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Post by And No Coffee Table »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:http://wuky.org/post/rock-roots-feature ... wise-ghost
Rock & Roots Featured Album of the Week (Aug 26-30): Elvis Costello & The Roots "Wise Up Ghost"

Listen Monday - Friday at 10:50, 12:50 and 2:50 for songs from the CD and your chance to WIN A COPY.
It may be worth listening to see if they play songs which haven't already been linked here. The times should be Eastern.
The 10:50 song was "Sugar Won't Work."
The 12:50 song was "Refuse To Be Saved."
And No Coffee Table

And the 2:50 song was the "Wise Up Ghost" title track. So that's three new-to-me songs in one day!

Did anyone else listen?
jardine

Post by jardine »

I only heard the last song and again, really enjoying what i've heard. This whole album reminds me of hearing Pills and Soap for the first time--a very slow, insistent mood, dark, troublesome lyrics (far as I can hear anyway). Really insists that you slow down and listen and, well, "drift"

so any idea the origin of that riff in the title song?

what we're the first two like?
And No Coffee Table

jardine wrote:so any idea the origin of that riff in the title song?
I believe it's from this. (Those avoiding spoilers shouldn't click on the link.)
what we're the first two like?
I liked what I heard, but I don't think I can really describe them at this point beyond playing "spot the reference." (And actually I didn't spot any in "Sugar Won't Work.")
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mojo and Uncut have reviews - the texts should be up on wiki soon. In Uncut Graeme Thomson ( E.C. bio. writer) has issues with The Roots - ' hip hop you can happily take home to mother' - yikes!

No review in Q but Elvis tops their playlist
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:http://wuky.org/post/rock-roots-feature ... wise-ghost

Listen Monday - Friday at 10:50, 12:50 and 2:50 for songs from the CD
Today's 10:50 song was "If I Could Believe." Easily the least Roots-y song I've heard so far, but really nice. I bet EC will play it on the upcoming solo tour.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mojo and Uncut have reviews - the texts should be up on wiki soon.
Wiki is holding off posting the text until the mags have a chance to sell.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Today's 10:50 song was "If I Could Believe." Easily the least Roots-y song I've heard so far, but really nice. I bet EC will play it on the upcoming solo tour.
12:50 - Walk Us Uptown

2:50 - Sugar Won't Work
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Uncut - Graeme Thomson

ELVIS COSTELLO HAS seldom played it safe in his choice of collaborators. From Billy Sherrill to the Brodksy Quartet, Anne Sofie von Otter to Wendy James, Bill Frisell to Burt Bacharach, eclectic and promiscuous just about covers it.

His latest unlikely partnership is with The Roots, the jazzy neo-hip-hoppers who moonlight as the house band on NBC's Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, which is where this union first sparked into life. Having been given carte blanche to deconstruct the likes of "High Fidelity" when backing Costello on the show, talk then turned to The Roots retooling a Costello classic for Record Store Day. That grew into a mooted EP, before both parties realised that they were already in the throes of making an album.

The plan to re-record material from Costello's past was dropped, but the outline of that idea remains visible. Wise Up Ghost is a metatextual affair: on one level its sights are set on new frontiers; on another it's hugely self-referential, constantly recycling words and musical motifs from his back catalogue.

Half of this curious but at times compelling collaboration sets lyrics from old songs to new tracks - though not always to their benefit. "Refuse To Be Saved" marries the words from Mighty Like A Rose's "Invasion Hit Parade" to one of those strident non-melodies that Costello tends to throw at his music when inspiration isn't returning his calls. The skeletal "(She Might Be A) Grenade" reconfigures "She's Pulling Out The Pin" to similarly slight reward. At other times the past is resurrected more effectively. The tender "Trip Wire" revisits the circular doo-wop of "Satellite", while "Wake Me Up" creates a convincing new home for the bloodied words to "Bedlam", from The Delivery Man, setting them to the kind of sparse New Orleans funk which invokes the Dirty Dozen Brass Band's contributions on Spike. There's nothing random about any of it. These are some of Costello's most acerbic, even apocalyptic words, and amount to a full-bore indictment of personal, corporate and political mendacity. The spectral dub of "Walk Us Uptown" sets the tone, Costello crowing: "Keep a red flag flying, keep a blue flag as well/And a white flag in case it all goes to hell." Elsewhere there are swipes at "boom to bust"culture and those who insist that "two and two is five". Musically, Wise Up Ghost is equally stark. A brooding rhythm record most closely resembling the claustrophobic beat-music of When I Was Cruel, it's sweetened only slightly by Brent Fischer's inventive string arrangements and Mexican-American singer La Marisoul, who duets on "Cinco Minutos Con Vos". When the combination works it conjures a sense of foreboding. "Viceroy's Row" - "where all of the nightmares go" - is malevolent and hypnotic, its dragnet groove filled with dubby bass, trippy flute and fluttering layers of backing vocals.

"Sugar Won't Work" welds a sharp guitar lick to one of the record's few really persuasive melodies, while the title track is an ominous meditation intoned over feed backing guitar and a string figure sampled from yet another corner of Costello's past. It has drama, poise and -- unlike many other tracks here - evolves, rather than staying locked in its rhythmic straitjacket.

Such moments justify this collaboration, yet when Wise Up Ghost goes wrong it goes really wrong. The Roots are tight but a tad slow-footed- hip-hop you can happily take home to mother. "Come The Meantime" is like G Love & Special Sauce tackling Portishead's "Sour Times", with Isleys guitar tacked to the end. "Stick Out Your Tongue" does unseemly things to "Pills And Soap", laying out one of EC's greatest lyrics like a corpse over a lacklustre jam. For all its purposeful intent, the prevalence of these and other misfires prevent Wise Up Ghost fulfilling its intriguing promise. It's still better than that Anne Sofie von Otter album, though.

---------------
Q&A
Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson

How did the idea for the album start to take shape?

On the Fallon show, Elvis gave us the liberty to flip his songs, he trusted us so much, and after the last time he was on we thought, 'Why don't we do this for real instead of every six months?' At first it was going to be to remix Elvis' favourites, but I objected to that pretty quickly. I didn't want to get the blame for messing with his classic stuff!

How were the songs written?

Elvis might come to us with a ghost of an idea and we would flesh it out, or sometimes the ghost of the idea was enough. We approached it like a hobby. It wasn't until we had 13 songs we thought were great that we knew we had a record on our hands. He is the most open-minded artist I've ever encountered. We recorded this entire record in our dressing room [on Fallon], not even in the studio. The whole room can barely hold eight people.

Any shows planned?

Are you kidding? I can't wait to put my spin on a 20-minute version of "I Want You"! I've got four separate song lists, and I guess by October or November we'll start doing heavy rehearsals for our dream show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mojo

Friction Romance

Costello's Roots-assisted sampling of his own catalogue.

By Danny Eccleston.

Elvis Costello And The Roots
Wise Up Ghost
BLUE NOTE/DECCA C0/DL/LP

EVER SINCE 1979's notorious Ray Charles Incident (good job they didn't have Twitter back then, eh?) there's been a thread in Elvis Costello's work that's almost a quest for redemption. Regular subsequent re-engagements with black American music have proven where his heart really lies, and his understanding of its forms, combined with an
inbuilt flair for pain, have birthed the febrile R&B of Get Happy!!, the Langstanleyised '80s soul of Punch The Clock and heartworn N'awlins shrug'n'sigh of his 2006 Allen Toussaint alliance, The River in Reverse.

That last album's title track showed how intuitively Costello can fall into a rolling rhythm, stuffing a line with wordplay, daring it to scan, and finding unexpected verbal escape routes - in other words, like a rapper. And here are instrumental hip hop group The Roots -empathetic Costello backers on past episodes of NBC's super-happening
Late Night With Jimmy Fallon - to help him draw deeper from that well.

Just as hip hop disinters the past and reassembles it in surprising ways, so this is Costello "sampling" his back catalogue, juxtaposing lyrical fragments and finding new ways to sing them. Stick Out Your Tongue is the exemplar: a sort-of mashup of 1983 single Pills & Soap (itself, in its day, a kind of cubist collage pop) with the recent
National Ransom, while a woman "who sleeps with the shirt of a late great country singer" flies in from Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over) off 1991's Mighty Like A Rose. Lurking in the shadows, Questlove & Co groove hard and low, updating Pills & Soap's atmosphere of nauseated threat.

Why the approach feels refreshing rather than retrogressive isn't easy to explain. Wake Me Up melds The River In Reverse with The Delivery Man album's apocalyptic Bedlam ("Then my thoughts returned to vengeance, but I put up no resistance"), while in a subtly reined-in vocal performance that's typical of the album in toto, Costello sounds slightly drugged. In fact, nowhere on this record is to be found the hectoring quality that non-Costello fans sometimes balk at, and the flickering, time-shifted images substitute disorientating impressions in place of dogmatic narratives. Could it be that Costello sounds better the less 'sense' he makes? Revisit 1982's baffling, brilliant Beyond Belief for an answer to that one.

Costello recently expressed dissatisfaction with the idea of record making. Why waste so much time and effort in this day and age, he says, preaching to the unconverted? But hang on. What's Elvis Costello without the friction -- the sound of his ornery aesthetic scraping against the shiny surface of public life? Isn't this, partly, the point of him? Thanks to The Roots, Costello has new access -- and Wise Up Ghost should bring new listeners to mess with. Long may he confront, confuse and confound them.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Doesn't Graeme Thomson slag off The Beat in Comp Shads? I think it was that one. Enough to make me mistrust his judgement. There were several other odd responses to songs in there too.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
docinwestchester

10:50 - Wise Up Ghost - cool as hell!!

(Unfortunately I can't record this on my computer at work)
And No Coffee Table

docinwestchester wrote:10:50 - Wise Up Ghost - cool as hell!!
12:50 was "Sugar Won't Work" for the third day in a row.

It appears there won't be a 2:50 song today because they're covering the March on Washington anniversary.
docinwestchester

Any shows planned?

Are you kidding? I can't wait to put my spin on a 20-minute version of "I Want You"! I've got four separate song lists, and I guess by October or November we'll start doing heavy rehearsals for our dream show.

This is gonna be good...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:Any shows planned?

This is gonna be good...
out of the loop on the whereabouts of these songs etc...where is this blurb from that you wrote here doc? AND WHO SAID IT???
jardine

Post by jardine »

q and a from uncut review about four messages back
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:Any shows planned?

This is gonna be good...
out of the loop on the whereabouts of these songs etc...where is this blurb from that you wrote here doc? AND WHO SAID IT???
Clear out your schedule for November, ba. And check your e-mail.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

NOVEMBER??? we already got the SOLO tour!!!
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:NOVEMBER??? we already got the SOLO tour!!!
Rehearsal shows...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Italian interview: http://www.rockol.it/news-528710/elvis- ... intervista

Elvis Costello e 'Wise up GHOST' con i Roots: l'intervista

Tutto su Elvis Costello

E’ uno dei dischi più attesi di questa nuova stagione di musica: Elvis Costello e i Roots sono di generazioni diverse, hanno una credibilità enorme e il loro è un “marriage made in heaven”, come direbbero gli americani. Si sono incontrati allo show TV di Jimmy Fallon, dove i Roots sono “resident band” e interagiscono con gli ospiti musicali del programma. Si sono trovati, hanno iniziato a suonare - ed è nato “Wise up GHOST”, in uscita per la Blue Note il 17 settembre. Qualche settimana fa abbiamo incontrato Elvis Costello a Londra, nel bar del Sanctum Soho Hotel, assieme alla stampa europea.

Quando avete iniziato a suonare assieme avevate idea di fare un album intero?

No: ero contento dell’ultimo disco - non avevo idea. Abbiamo iniziato a registrare in questa piccola stanza dove i Roots fanno tutto e hanno tutti il loro equipaggiamento. Ci eravamo incrociati in Tv, al “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon”, dove i Roots avevano preparato un loro grande arrangiamento della mia “High Fidelity”, poi ci siamo ritrovati altre volte sempre da Fallon, una con John McLaughlin, e una a suonare brani di Bruce Springsteen. Mi sono sorpreso da come le performance da Jimmy Fallon si sono diffuse su YouTube, con la gente che ne parlava a distanza di settimane - è bello che siano arrivata a molta più gente del pubblico del programma TV.
Dopo questa terza volta, è venuta fuori l’idea di fare un disco assieme, e ho iniziato a mettere assieme appunti, collage, testi e mi sono enusiasmato all’idea.

I Roots erano già tuoi fan, giusto?

Si: mi hanno fatto paura mostrandomi un iPod che conteneva tutto il mio catalogo, b-side comprese. Nel disco ci sono molto campioni dai miei dischi, ma non solo: abbiamo campionato senza limiti. E sopra ci sono citazioni strumental e non dalle mie canzoni. La citazione è una cosa naturale, nella musica.

Come ti sei trovato con Questlove, il leader dei Roots?

Beh, prima vedi tutte le differenze, poi vedi le somiglianze. Siamo cresciuti in famiglie di musicisti, quindi entrambi pensiamo alla musica come a qualcosa di magico e quotidiano allo stesso tempo. Ci sono molte band che suonano bene, ma è raro trovare qualcuno che lo fa con così tanta intelligenza e autoironia.
Abbiamo iniziato con voce e batteria, poi abbiamo costruito le altre parti: è stato tutto un work in progress, una sorta di tuffo alla cieca. Il fatto che abbiamo inciso un disco senza dirlo a nessuno è stato fondamentale: non c’erano aspettative e, ad essere onesti, neanche noi eravamo sicuri di quello che stavamo facendo....

L’immaginario del disco è violento, policizzato, trasmette un forte senso di disagio...

Ho voluto incorporare nel disco versi e idee provenienti da altre canzoni, così ho usato la tecnica del collage. Alcuni significati delle mie vecchie canzoni oggi sono diventati realtà, e nel contesto attuale sono ancora più disturbanti. Oggi vengono fatti gli stessi errori. Ma c’è anche molto humor, e la speranza che le cose non saranno così terribili come in passato.

Farete un tour assieme?

Ci sono molti fattori, tra cui soprattutto i piani della NBC per lo show di Jimmy Fallon. Quando il disco uscirà, ci sarà gente che vorrà sentirlo dal vivo, ma non deve sucedere subito. Non siamo più ai vecchi tempi in cui il disco andava promosso dal vivo la settimana dell’uscita.

Prossimi progetti, oltre a questo disco?

Beh, non sono mai a corto di idee. Ho solo preso una pausa dall’incidere dischi mentre andavo in tour nei teatri. Il fatto è che non ho più un contratto discografico a lungo termine e non ne ho più voglia. Anche questo disco è un “one-off”, e se funziona potremmo fare nuovamente così in futuro. Ma d’ora in poi a voglio lavorare senza la pressione di consegnare un disco a scadenze precise.
-------------------------------

Elvis Costello and 'Wise up GHOST' with Roots: the interview

All about Elvis Costello

And 'one of the most anticipated records of this new season of music: Elvis Costello and the Roots are of different generations, they have a huge credibility and theirs is a "marriage made ​​in heaven," as the Americans would say. They met at the TV show Jimmy Fallon, where Roots are "resident band" and interact with the musical guest of the program. They are found, they started playing - and was born "Wise up GHOST" for release for Blue Note on September 17. A few weeks ago we met Elvis Costello in London, in the bar of the Sanctum Soho Hotel, together with the European press.

When did you start playing together had no idea of doing an entire album?

No: I was happy with the last album - I had no idea. We started recording in this small room where the Roots do everything and have all their equipment. We had crossed on TV, at the "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," where the Roots had prepared them a great arrangement of my "High Fidelity", then other times we found ourselves always from Fallon, one with John McLaughlin, and to play a songs of Bruce Springsteen. I was surprised by how the performance by Jimmy Fallon have spread on YouTube, with people talking about it weeks later - it's nice that they come to a lot more people in the audience of the TV program.
After this third time, she came up with the idea to make a record together, and I started putting together notes, collage, text and I enusiasmato idea.

The Roots were already your fans, right?

Yes: I have been afraid of showing an iPod containing my entire catalog, including b-side. On the record there are a lot samples from my discs, but not only that: we sampled without limits. And over there are quotes strumental and not by my songs. The quotation is a matter of course, music.

How have you found with Questlove, the leader of the Roots?

Well, first see all the differences, then you see the similarities. We grew up in musical families, so we both think of music as something magical and everyday at the same time. There are many bands that sound good, but it is rare to find someone who does it with so much intelligence and self-irony.
We started with vocals and drums, then we built the other parts: it was all a work in progress, a kind of dive blindly. The fact that we made a record without telling anyone was critical: there were no expectations and, to be honest, we were not even sure what they were doing ....

The imagery of the disc is violent, policizzato, conveys a strong sense of unease ...

I wanted to incorporate the hard lines and ideas from other songs, so I used the collage technique. Some meanings of my old songs today have become reality, and in the present context are even more disturbing. Today they are made the same mistakes. But there is also much humor, and hope that things will not be as bad as in the past.

You will do a tour together?

There are many factors, including especially the plans of NBC for Jimmy Fallon's show. When the disc comes out, there will be people who will want to hear it live, but it should not sucedere immediately. We are no longer in the old days when the disk was promoted live the week of the output.

Upcoming projects in addition to this disc?

Well, I'm never short of ideas. I just took a break dall'incidere discs while I was on tour in theaters. The fact is that I do not have a record deal in the long term and I no longer want. Although this album is a "one-off", and if it works we could do so again in the future. But from now on I want to work without the pressure to deliver a disc on a timely basis.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Mojo feature from Sept. '13 ( now replaced in shops by the Oct. issue) is now on wiki -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ember_2013
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hot Press (Dublin)

And No Coffee Table

All repeats today: "Walk Us Uptown" at 10:50, "Wise Up Ghost" at 12:50, and "If I Could Believe" at 2:50.
docinwestchester

All repeats today: "Walk Us Uptown" at 10:50, "Wise Up Ghost" at 12:50, and "If I Could Believe" at 2:50.
All repeats?! That's an outrage! We've only heard 8 of the 12 songs on the album. WUKY will have to play the remaining four tomorrow.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.2 ... ongs-list/

The Roots & Elvis Costello's "Walk Us Uptown" Crack Pepsi's "Top Backyard Party Songs" List

by Justin Hunte

August 29, 2013

With Labor Day on the horizon, Pepsi.com released its list of Top Backyard Party Songs.

One of the songs included in the list is “Walk Us Uptown” by Elvis Costello and The Roots. “A London new-waver rocking since the ‘70s and a North Philadelphia Jazz/Hip Hop group might seem like a strange mix, but for ‘Walk Us Uptown,’ the two go together as well as ribs and barbecue sauce,” Pepsi said about the snare-heavy jam.

“Walk Us Uptown” appears on Wise Up Ghost, the upcoming collaborative album between The Roots and Elvis Costello, which will be available for purchase September 17 through Blue Note Records. In a statement reported by OkayPlayer, The Roots’ front man, Questlove describes the LP as a “moody, brooding affair full of cathartic rhythms and dissonant lullabies.”

To view the full list of Backyard Party Songs, visit Pepsi.com.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.2 ... ongs-list/

The Roots & Elvis Costello's "Walk Us Uptown" Crack Pepsi's "Top Backyard Party Songs" List

by Justin Hunte

August 29, 2013

With Labor Day on the horizon, Pepsi.com released its list of Top Backyard Party Songs.

One of the songs included in the list is “Walk Us Uptown” by Elvis Costello and The Roots. “A London new-waver rocking since the ‘70s and a North Philadelphia Jazz/Hip Hop group might seem like a strange mix, but for ‘Walk Us Uptown,’ the two go together as well as ribs and barbecue sauce,” Pepsi said about the snare-heavy jam.

“Walk Us Uptown” appears on Wise Up Ghost, the upcoming collaborative album between The Roots and Elvis Costello, which will be available for purchase September 17 through Blue Note Records. In a statement reported by OkayPlayer, The Roots’ front man, Questlove describes the LP as a “moody, brooding affair full of cathartic rhythms and dissonant lullabies.”

To view the full list of Backyard Party Songs, visit Pepsi.com.

World domination must surely follow!