World Cup Fantasy League (Spoilers Ahoy!)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Arg and Braz will go through, I am sure. Braz without question. No way are they going to let france get the better of them. If arg are a bit off, I can see Germany's considerable strike force delivering, and of course there's the home advantage, but I still don't see it.

Semis of It v Arg & Braz v Port. All South American final. Bring it on!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

If you're right this would be the first time a South American team wins World Cup on European soil.
Quite possible, though somehow I have a feeling we're going to see the repeat of 2002 final, Brazil - Germany.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

What a defeatist unpatriotic lot.

I'm expecting an Argentina - England final with Italy and France the losing semi-finalists.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

invisible Pole wrote:If you're right this would be the first time a South American team wins World Cup on European soil.
Wrong - Brazil won in Sweden in '58.
signed with love and vicious kisses
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

so lacklustre wrote:
invisible Pole wrote:If you're right this would be the first time a South American team wins World Cup on European soil.
Wrong - Brazil won in Sweden in '58.
I stand corrected. This one escaped my mind.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

FF question from a Yank Chick (also in possession of cheek and tongue, btw 8) ). What happens if your keeper doesn't play, and your designated sub isn't needed? Simple zeros for both, right?

I may be doing crap but I want to understand what I'm doing! :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mechanical Grace wrote:FF question from a Yank Chick (also in possession of cheek and tongue, btw 8) ). What happens if your keeper doesn't play, and your designated sub isn't needed? Simple zeros for both, right?

I may be doing crap but I want to understand what I'm doing! :lol:
Right you are. No points for either player.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Thanks! It's important that I get my strategy right if I'm to maintain my chokehold on 9th place...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Cupcakes in da house. Don't hate them because they're beautiful. I should've put more effort into the process, but I was pressed for time. I did notice that one Portugese player looked an awful (and I mean awful) lot like Gilbert Gottfried. I passed on him.

I'm told my two favorite refs will be doing the semi-finals. Maybe that will give me some perspective. Maybe not. Too bad I'm not there to throw orange slices!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

If you played for Brazil what would your name be:

I'm Davosa

http://www.minimalsworld.net/BrazilName/brazilian.shtml
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I have a sizeable bet on England and I still wouldn't sell it. I fancy Brazil to beat France. Germany to beat Argentina on penalties. Italy to beat ukraine (just) and England to beat Portugal.

England V Germany final.

England Win and I get my new Bose stereo system with the winnings. :D
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Fishfinger king wrote:What a defeatist unpatriotic lot.

I'm expecting an Argentina - England final with Italy and France the losing semi-finalists.
It's nothing to do with patriotism, England are generally third rate and unless they turn it on bigf time, Portugal will piss all over them. I have faith in Rooney to deliver, but they need to work as a team. Where are Brazil in your predictions? I just don't believe France will come near to it.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

It's everything to do with patriotism - winning hearts and minds and selling them lots of stuff. :lol:

go argentina! go ukraine!

That's it, then. they're sunk.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Jackson Monk wrote:England Win and I get my new Bose stereo system with the winnings. :D
:shock:

Just HOW big is that bet Jackson?

I'm thinking about an England v Germany final as well. I think it will happen.

Sorry to jinx it Jackson!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Sorry to jinx it Jackson!
Jinx away verbal! Sam needs spending money for his trip to LA!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I've chosen the risky way : no players from France or Italy, just one from Argentina. If I lose, I lose big time.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My squad is loaded with Argentinians and Italians. I suppose I can safely assume we won't finish tied at the top of the table!

Looks like our friend oldhamer has cashed in his chips and gone home. :(
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I think oldhamer's in transit.

Dammit, will I ever figure this sub shit out? :x

I'm going to miss this when it's over.

No, I can get this kind of humiliation just about anywhere these days.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well that was entertaining. What was Peckerhead thinking about with those substitutions? He decided to shut up shop too early and paid for it. Now for the Italians to put in a decent performance.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Pretty decent, I must admit.
WSS has now got a safe, 26-point lead !!
My only hope is Brazil thrashing France tomorrow with Lucio scoring hat-trick. (if he plays at all, that is) :D
Otis Westinghouse

Very disappointed. Come on Pekerbloodyman. You are quite right there, Sam. Messi had an electric effect when he came on in the last game c. 80 mins. I couldn't believe it when he brought Julio Cruz on, Arg so needed the threat of Messi there to hold it together and maybe get a second. Oh the hideous inevitability when Germany get into a penalty shoot-out. Can I just say without incurring a thousand death wishes from upstate NY that watching Bollock today confirmed to me that he is the player I loathe most after Oliver Khan. I just look at him and want to puke. He looks like an overly confident 8 year old who has always had everything he ever wanted and been constantly told by his vile parents that he is the smartest and most important kid in the class. Chelsea are welcome to him, thank fuck he isn't going near Old Trafford other than, one would hope, to have his ass whupped, and I don't think he's going to be that much of a great addition to their line-up. Shevvy is a better piece of business. Next move should be to sell Cech to MU and get Khan in as goalie. What is it about these man? They exude arrogance from their every pore.

I really enjoyed seeing Italy play a pretty solid game against generally quite feeble opposition, and despite the occasional theatrical tumble or unwarranted foul, play a pretty damn clean game in good temper. Defence was cracking, Buffon (my boy) too. Shame Pirlo didn't deliver for me as captain, but I was happy with my decision to field four of them. Cannavaro is great. Camoranesi and Zambrotta had good games, great to see golden Roma boy Toni finally getting there. I hope they shit voluminously on the Deutschlanders (though please note I ain't anti-German, and particularly like the 'Polish Germans' like Klose and Podolski, good, honest unarrogant players).

Part terrified about watching us get crushed by Port, part thrilled to think this might be our time. You just don't know with England. Everyone I know had the same reaction to me on hearing of Lampard's injury: 'At last, only Gerrard can play! Start with Lennon', but he's gone and recovered. Another unwanted Chelsea prssence at the WC! (Come on WSS, goad us Brits back a bit!)

10/10 to the BBC (and someone please shoot David Pleatitude on ITV). Not only did we have the class grouping of Hansen, Martin (PLEASE let him come to Old Trafford, PLEASE) O'Neill and gorgeous boy Leonardo, they also had end footage to get us in the mood for England that featured no less than John Cale's splendid rendition of Hallelujah, then an unfamiliar woman, then edited excerpts from Joy Div's Atmosphere. A knighthood for whoever decided to end it with Beckham's magisterial free-kick coinciding with the equally magisterial gliassando and tambourine moment. Almost too much excitement for me to take in in one second.
Otis Westinghouse

Damn, WSS had Zambrotta! (and a colleague had him as effing captain!) Why didn't Pirlo score? Why did Klose score not Podolski? Grrrr
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Can I just say without incurring a thousand death wishes from upstate NY that watching Bollock today confirmed to me that he is the player I loathe most after Oliver Khan. I just look at him and want to puke. He looks like an overly confident 8 year old who has always had everything he ever wanted and been constantly told by his vile parents that he is the smartest and most important kid in the class.
You are dead to me. ;-) You have a "German" problem and should seek help immediately.

Seriously, I thought Ballack had another very good game and I can't wait to see him in blue. As the token "Ossi" in the German national team Ballack has always been a target of criticism for German fans and media. From what I understand his background is anything but glamorous. I could do without the clutching of the face (Henry was guilty of this as well), but he is a class player.

And fire away on Lamps. He seems to be this World Cup's designated England whipping boy, with some justification (though I would argue that Sven is mostly to blame for the team's inability to put it together).

I can't lose tomorrow. If Lamps, Cole and Terry play their hearts out and England go through and I am pleased. If they succumb miserably to Portugal (again) I pocket some cash.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Lampard hasn't done that badly, just needs a goal.
Lennon is better kept on bench for late game spurts.
Ballack had a good game and is top class at times, and he will fit in with the Bridge Divers. He is easy to hate it is true.
England 1 Portugal 0 - Gerrard to score.
Don't know who I want out of cheating Italians or gloating hosts.
Brazil to beat France in ET.
4 Englanders in my ff team - optimistic or patriotic or stupid?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Lampard has been half the player he is in a Chelsea shirt. We all know and have known for 2+ years that the two Prem midfield titans just don't work as a combo, so give it up, Sven. Gerrard is by faer the more convincing.

We haven't seen Lennon do a full game in an england shirt, so how to judge. He's shown such promise. I don't get why managers stick to tried and tested and fading warhorses when they could get some youthful thrust and vigour. Players with a lot to prove. I still think Pekerman should be banished to the Malvinas for not using Messi, almost as idiotic as Domenech not bringing Giuly. Two players who have shone at the world-s best club for 05-06. Absurd. Try out Walcott for the late spurt, though of course the Swedish prick didn't put that one to the test when he could and should against Paraguay. I'm predicting 1-1 after 90 mins, and either 2-1 at 120 or Port on penalties. No England players in my team, though I would like to have continued with Roon as he is our best hope. Best to expect the worst... I've always respected Sven, up to a point, but I think he's blown it with this WC and am glad he's going, to be replaced by potentially a worse manager.

Good defence of Ballack, WSS. So his background isn't the one written on his face, and it takes make you feel more sympathetic when you hear of harder backgrounds, though Ballack's DDR one won't compare with Adriano and Rivaldo, hardcore favela boys.

Italians weren't cheating at all in German game. I love them on a good day.

Brazil 2 or 3-1 in 90 mins will be my pred.