Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Re: Wake up you footy fans!!!

Post by Boy With A Problem »

mood swung wrote: and this was nice to see.
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1703925/
not that I got to see it. Mr. Clint Dempsey, please find another team. Preferably on this side of the Atlantic. :D
at least he should be playing for Fulham - I don't think he's had a start this year.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:Well, we don't have to lose to DC again this year.

We get to lose to Houston! :lol:
Not so fast my friend. Houston doesn't like the turf. We could surprise them on Saturday, then who knows?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'd love to be surprised! And if we can get past Houston, I see:

RB's first hardware: Western Conference Champeens. 8)
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

cough
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fantastic day of football. Chelsea beat Blackburn 2-0 and the Red Bulls knock off defending champions Houston 3-0 down in Texas to advance in the playoffs. What a performance! :D :D
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't get Telefutura and MSG was blacked out, so I had Ives up on one window and MLS up on another, while I squished a gallon of persimmons thru a colander.

I will be happy to do this again next Saturday, if it makes the right mojo.

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Woly's "Thriller" goal celebration was awesome! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Watched it on MSG with my boy.

If they make it to MLS Cup, I'm considering flying out to LA.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

moody, we're on our way to LA! I'm booking my ticket this weekend! :D :D
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! This is why I love playoffs - sometimes it just comes down to dumb luck and who the soccer gods favor that day. I ALMOST felt sorry for the RSL fans.

invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

OMG, he's banned chips and ketchup. :lol:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/468/interna ... heir-chips

Capello: England Players Have Had Their Chips

In his quest to turn England into a force on the world football stage, coach Fabio Capello has banned chips and tomato ketchup from his squad’s diet…

Fabio Capello is determined that the England players should be in the best of health and at peak fitness as he attempts to guide them to the finals of the 2010 World Cup.

And that means impressing upon them the importance of a healthy diet. So traditional British favourites likes chips [known in some other parts of the world, strangely, as ‘fries‘] and tomato sauce [aka ketchup] have been taken off the menu for Capello‘s squad.

The Italian tactician, in an interview in the current edition of Fifa Magazine, revealed some of the radical changes he has introduced since he succeeded Steve McClaren as England manager last December.

Capello said: "I have, for example, impressed upon [the players] the advantages of a Mediterranean diet over ketchup and chips.

"I have also put some rules of conduct in place for when the national team meets up, from eating breakfast together to the use of mobile phones, which must be switched off from time to time."

His more disciplined regime is in sharp contrast to the way things were under McClaren. Then, players used nicknames for one another in what was an altogether more laid back - and ultimately unsuccessful - regime.

Capello calls players by their surnames, but his strict approach has yielded four wins out of four in England‘s Worlds Cup qualifying campaign - no doubt the most persuasive argument for the players to accept his rules.

England are the top of their World Cup qualifying group at the moment with maximum points, and performances have improved sharply too.

Capello confirmed that the England squad had not baulked at the new rules he’s imposed.

"The players have been very co-operative, and that is a clear indication of the high level of professionalism at their clubs.

"Arsenal's academy, for example, is the perfect example of how young players should be brought along at all European clubs."

However, reports BBC Sport, not all Premier League managers follow Capello's line on diet.

Harry Redknapp, basking in the glow of an unbeaten six-match run since taking over at Tottenham, was asked whether a change in diet had played a part in the sensational Spurs revival.

He replied: "If you can't pass the ball properly, a bowl of pasta's not going to make that much difference!"

Mark Hinton, Goal.com
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Can't wait to get out to El-Lay! Ticket just arrived today. Come on you Red Bulls!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Ketchup is the devil.

Have a fabulous time, Sam and cheer for me & Austin.

Dale Metro!

But...

If I had bet real $ on this, instead of just quarters with A, then I might have been out there with you.

pay no attention to the 7 goals part! I just (obviously) pulled that out of my ass. :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow! Great prognostication.

Looks like I'll be sitting right behind the C-bus bench. Can't wait to get out there!

Dale Metro! Dale Campeón!! (Fingers crossed)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Well we lost, but I had a blast in LA and we brought the noise! Hopefully we can get back next year and win it this time!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Tevez photographed with his mom yesterday.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Two men who know what it's like to be out in the wilderness.

Great football weekend: we get revenge for last season, Chelsea lose at home to Arse (hee hee), Liv can only draw 0-0 at home to Hammers, and the mighty Histon (whose coach Steve Fallon used to do the Saturday morning footie my lad went to) ditch the once mighty Leeds in the FA. Brilliant!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I could watch this over and over again...

Otis Westinghouse

Beautiful!

I think Tevez made his point tonight! Criminal that he's not getting more action.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

It's so quiet in here.

Go, Mostest! I'd like to be home, in the comfy chair, with the cold beverage of my choice in hand, watching this, but here I am at work with a crazy man "watching" the ESPN gamecast.
Otis Westinghouse

Lovely to see Villa getting a deserved point today. Shame Liv and Chels got a predictable 3. Relief that the World Club Champions ground out a 1-0.

Middlesborough losing 0-1 at home to a depleted Everton bodes well for Monday. It's my, ahem, second visit to Old Trafford, and I need a goal orgy to set me up for 2000. First time seeing Cristiano (don't think he was even on the bench last time 4 years ago). Hope that he, Berb, Tev and Roon get one each.

I have the season ticket cards that I've borrowed for the event here nearby. If I lose them, it's £75 to replace each one! I'm so jealous of their owner!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I was out bargain hunting at the mall with my sister yesterday - good news! Booksamillion has ALL the calendars on sale already!! - and completely missed this.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1909259/

I miss all the good stuff.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:I was out bargain hunting at the mall with my sister yesterday - good news! Booksamillion has ALL the calendars on sale already!! - and completely missed this.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1909259/

I miss all the good stuff.
Nice finish there. He actually scored twice, the bastard! :wink:
Otis Westinghouse

Inexplicably, I haven't commented on Monday's visit to the most beautiful place in the world. My friend's season tickets turned out to be right in the corner between the Stretford End and the north stand. Front row. Pretty hopeless for seeing what was happening at the far end, but fabulous for action at the Stretford End. Boro were pretty spirited, defended solidly enough, though Man Utd maintained their recent lack of finishing with Cristiano missing stuff he would have bagged last season, and Park Ji-Sung missing a sitter. Relief that Berbie scored. He was getting stiuck from some of the faithful for his work rate, but I thought he was pretty good. Involved in a lot of stuff, set up some things, good pace, and he scored. Ronaldo's pace was phenomenal, and in fact although he didn't score nor assist, and most annoyingly was taken off in the second half after c. 65 mins, so I was deprived of valuable chances to see him fly down the right, it was amazing to see the best player in the world (although admittedly not playing at the level of last season) so close up in action. Rooney was fabulous too, and was almost in touching distance with the second half corners.

Tevez was in Argentina and Evra suspended. Rio injured and Neville on bench, so Evans played from the start. Joined substitution of Scholes and a very impressive Neville made a big difference to the shape of the game.

I don't get to nearly enough games, and am still wishing I could just hang on to my friend's season tickets for ever, lucky soul. He makes the 3+ hour drive every two weeks, and often does midweek games too. I can understand it, it's a different high to a good gig, but comparable in many ways, on a good night.

I could do without the Park eats dog chant, but others were quite good.

It's odd going to a game when you're so used to TV football. The pace of it is disarming. 45 mins passes in a blink, and where the hell are the replays and the commentary?

Nearly fell asleep several times over on the way home, with my son asleep beside me. Horrible. Finally got home gone 3, wrecked but exultant.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Me taking 10 year daughter to Emirates for the first time next Sat (10th) against Bolton. £46 bleeding quid each! I had a season ticket around 1980 that cost £52!
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Me taking 10 year daughter to Emirates for the first time next Sat (10th) against Bolton. £46 bleeding quid each! I had a season ticket around 1980 that cost £52!
Insane. My season ticket here cost just $375 (likely to go up significantly of course when the new stadium opens). Big step down in quality from the PL to MLS, but I'm OK with it and don't have much choice in any case. I don't see how people in England can even afford to go to see football. I remember the Wigan and Sheff Wed tickets being much more reasonable, but still... Highway robbery. It's much the same in the States for leagues like the NFL and NBA. You basically have to take out a second mortgage and sell a kid or two into slavery in order to attend.