Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

On a whim I bought Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's BRMC the other day, cause I wanted to see what the fuss was about. So far I am liking it-- I especially love the first tune LOVE BURNS.

Whaddyou guys think of them? I need new music and am using the subscription to MAGNET (Christmas gift from my sweet Sis) as a guide. Do any of youz read it?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

The Mountain Goats - We Shall All Be Healed

Alice Cooper - Definitive (felt like a bit o' Coop!)

The Rumour - Not so much a Rumour, more a way of life (THE definitve collection for the detective watching band pre-Parker)
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I went to a CD fair and got the EC 'imports' Nashville and more and Plugging the gaps voume 2.

PTG is great quality, and it has The End of the Rainbow on it, a brilliant R & L Thopmpson song that sums up exactly how I feel at the moment
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Crow-- PTG II is my favorite such import. So many great covers-- Paul Simon's CONGRATULATIONS; my fave H. Carmichael MY RESISTANCE IS LOW; and a handful more, plus that great version of PUT YOUR BIG TOE IN THE MILK OF HUMAN KINDNESS.

I am so sorry you feel like that R&L Thompson song (which is beautiful). And I thought I was feeling low!
uselessbeauty?

Post by uselessbeauty? »

bluechair--live from the women's club is an "official bootleg" that the sold in a limited quantity around here.
i knew they were going to fire me after i stole the eighteen wheeler. so i quit first.
true story
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

The Plugging The Gaps compilations are early bootleg cdr compilations of EC b-sides, guest appearances etc. With all due respect to the compilers, technically they are not great. Much better, and more comprehensive, are the Sticks & Stones and Great Unknown sets. These are easily available in trading circles. No one should have to pay for them. EC, and any of the other artists, involved are not getting a penny out of whatever your handing over to these sharks.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I don't know really what a trading circle is Martin.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

laughingcrow wrote:I don't know really what a trading circle is Martin.
Crow-- it's a bit like a crop circle. You show up on the back forty of a farm in the Boerderlands in the dead of night with your favorite bootlegs, and...

actually, the part I never understood was how one traded when what one had was already very old hat. But I do love those songs on PTG. I have a good number of the singles and so on they came from, but before the days of MP3s and CD burning it was awful nice to have those on one disc...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

exactically! I checked out this trading lark...and it seems to me that anyone that has anything to swap that you'd like, is unlikely to want to swap with someone who didn't have something ultra-rare. It's like a war of attrition. How does someone with no bootlegs become a trader?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just picked up the remastered One From The Heart soundtrack, with original music by Tom Waits.

While not so much the quirky Tom Waits I usually lean more towards, it contains some beautiful songs, including "Broken Bicycles". Excellent stuff overall.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

How's this for love? Or stupidity? I haven't bought anything for myself since xmas but this week I bought 'my girl' Robbie Williams live at Knebworth as a valentines gift!

I will be getting the Franz Ferdinand after listening to it in the record store, and I think I may have to get the new Sid Vicious comp.
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Surely nothing would say I Love You more than the Sid Vicious compilation! Hmm, thanks for solving the problem of what to buy for Mrs VG!

Who said romance was dead?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've changed my mind about the One From The Heart soundtrack. It is among Tom Waits' finest, and Crystal Gayle adds a lot to the duets with her voice.

I didn't even notice that it's an enhanced CD, and has a neat little video of Tom.

Now, if they could please start remastering the rest of Tom's catalogue, I can proceed to buy the rest of his albums :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

SL...good choice!!!!!! Franz are one of the best bands in Glasgow at the mo :wink: :D :D :D :D :D
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Yeah, 'My Valentine' reciprocated and I got the above two cds as a valentines gift. Had listened to 2 or 3 FF tracks in the record store and seen them do one track on telly, but having played the cd twice through yesterday it is already one of my favourite releases for while. I also have the bonus disc of some live tracks which I haven't played yet.

For anyone who hasn't heard them yet they remind me a bit of Talking Heads. This album is highly recommended.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I couldn't agree more about Franz Ferdinand. I haven't been so excited by a new group since, oh, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions in 1984.

'One of the best bands in Glasgow at the mo' is an absurd understatement. One of the best Scottish bands ever is more like it. It's great that for once the hype is fully lived up to. What I love absolutely about them is that they seem to have swallowed most of the favourite areas of my entire record collection, and yet they manage to sound utterly fresh and original with it. It's the same with the singer's voice, it reminds me so much of someone else (can't think who, maybe it's just that if it hadn't come along it would have had to have been invented), or various others, and yet it's also totally unique and original.

Influences that leap out are certainly (early) Talking Heads, and any other angular white boy funk bands, and they simply have to be fans of Magazine's Shot By Both Sides. And Gang of Four, New Order (without the synths). And of course the other 'pride of Scotland' bands Orange Juice and even moreso the almightily divine if now thoroughly obscure Josef K (I can't tell you how excited I get just seeing people refer to them as an influence in reviews). And loads more.

They're witty ('Ich heisse "Super-fantastisch", Ich trinke champers mit lachsfisch' anybody?), they write brilliant tunes, they're full of vim and vigour, they make the age old two guitars + bass + drums formula sing again, they look interesting, their words are interesting (e.g. 'Michael', a love song to a man).

How come you got the bonus, SLL? I think it's incredibly limited, isn't it? I saw it referred to on various sites pre-release, but even a week before its release, play.com et al were saying it was unavailable. I tried all the shops in Cambridge, and none had it. I bet they sound good live. I have to see them in May on their tour. My sweetheart bought it for Valentine's, just like yours. I'd been dropping hints, but was hugely thrilled to get it.

If you haven't already, buy it. If you've heard the singles, what more recommendation do you need? 'Take Me Out' starts off sounding like a Strokes imitation, but then they slow it down and get into their usual disco four-squre stomp and make it entirely their own. It's a metaphor for how they blow away every other band from recent years - how could anyone defend the limited Strokes against the genius of this band?

Do believe the hype.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Nice post Otis, and some good references. It seems that my girl (and me) got lucky with the bonus disc, she went into HMV in Reading and they only had that version, and it was the same rip off price as usual in HMV (£12.99). I haven't yet played the bonus disc as I wanted to get to know the main album first, but having had 7 or 8 plays now I will probably give the live tracks a spin tomorrow.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

so lacklustre wrote:It seems that my girl (and me) got lucky
So lack - shouldn't this be in a different thread? :wink:
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Today's (thursday) acquisitions:

Punch The Clock (the newest reissue)

The Trinity Sessions - Cowboy Junkies
Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd

- i've put on some of the pink floyd. playing all the stuff w/ syd barrett first. i'm hoping the rest lives up to my joy at having something by syd barrett in my collection.

punch the clock is new. the other two are used. used cds are great stuff.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

Bill Frisell and Elvis Costello
Deep Dead Blue
produced by Lee Townsend
http://www.songtone.com/artists/Frisell ... elvis.html

Chet Baker - Live at Ronnie Scott's (1986) w/ ELvis COstello
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... d&n=507846
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

in yesterday's mail, Labour of Lust. It's helping me thru the post-concert letdown. Heaven is here but only skin deep!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:D :D :D

great album Mood................!!!!
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I would love to see EC and the Imposters cover Switchboard Susan.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think my favourite track on Labour Of Lust is "Crackin' Up." Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers actually did a cover of that track as a B-Side. It's pretty funny.. at the end the phone rings, and Tom is like "Hello? Hello? Nick? Hello!"
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I love Big Kick. And You Make Me. And Love So Fine. There's just not a bad song on it.
Like me, the "g" is silent.