Drinking to Absent Friends

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Ooops..opinion...stinky!
Ahh, but you see Rope's opinions are special. More authentic and thus dangerous. Ours, well they're all just conformist pabulum, barely opinions at all, really. 8) :roll:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Pabulum! Brilliant. Is that the Latin for 'pap'?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mechanical Grace

Er, sure... :)
A rope leash

That special aroma...

Post by A rope leash »

"Outside they're painting tar on somebody
It's the closest to a work of art
That they will ever be..."

What is Elvis talking about here? Something he loves?

Misanthropy is a waste of time? Look, I've worked hard at this...it's almost perfected!

I could be like a lot of other people, and just not care. Thousands of innocents killed and starving, la la la. It's just the way it is and mankind can do no better, fiddle-dee.

Elvis has been saying the human race is fucked since day one. The fact that this fact is denied by his own fans is simply bizarre to me. Yes, he does add love, because he cares. He wants to be proud of his species, like I do...but I'm not.

It's very true that my farts don't really smell as gaggingly bad to me as they do to others. I'm sure it's true for everyone. While I don't care to smell the farts of others, it does seem to me that the farts I smell around here lack a certain edge that my farts almost always contain...a certain flavor, if you will, that makes y'all's farts seem bland and tasteless by comparison.

We analyzed you
We despise you...

Such wonderous love Elvis has for all others!

(Not)
Mechanical Grace

Re: That special aroma...

A rope leash wrote: Thousands of innocents killed and starving, la la la. It's just the way it is and mankind can do no better, fiddle-dee.
Yup, that pretty much sums up my philosophy. Oh, if only I were a true individual, with a backbone and unique fart-smell. If only I had the courage, the gumption and the willingness to be an asshole in the name of voicing my own opinion... Oh, wait...

As Mike B's Socratic quote suggests, people who feel a constant need to point out how fucked up the world is are often the people who care the most for mankind, and believe in its potential for good. That is not misanthropy.
A rope leash

Yep

Post by A rope leash »

If one never complains about the food, the food never gets any better.

Quick definitions (misanthropy)

noun: a disposition to dislike and mistrust other people
noun: hatred of mankind

I have misanthropic tendencies, and so does Elvis. I haven't always been like this...it has been a long road that has taken me here. It isn't everybody's cup of tea, but it fits me fine.

Quick definitions (pabulum)

noun: insipid intellectual nourishment
noun: any substance that can be used as food

There is no substitute for intellectual honesty. Be thyself, know thyself, protect thyself from the townsfolk.

I wouldn't cry for lost souls, you might drown...

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it..." - William Munny out of Missouri

The fact remains that the human race has a long way to go before justice and freedom are realities for all. I'm supposed to smile and be happy about that? Sorry, nope...I'm gonna call 'em as I see 'em...we're fuckin up big time, and Elvis wrote a song or two about it...not because he loves us, but because he's pissed at us. Remember? It was called Punk, and some of it rubbed off on him.

La de da. How many more died today when we could have been diving for pearls?

While I don't see life itself as a joke, I do see mankind as a very good example of how life can go awfully awry, and how a species can outlast its relevance upon a planet. For Earth, we do no good whatsoever, and for ourselves we take more than we need whenever we can, and hoard it from others.

What's to love? The way we are?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm going to slink in and deposit two cents that no one asked for.....

I realize and acknowledge that much of humanity leaves a lot to be desired. There is evil and bigotry all over the place. And yet....

.... in my hour of need in the fall of '05, people from all over this country that I barely knew helped to take care of me and make a hard situation a little more bearable. Many of those folks were from this very board, as a matter of fact. Call me naive, Rope, but it made me realize that there is a lot of basic decency all over the place. The stinkers just make the most news. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. And yes, I realize that the worst aspects of human society put me in the situation I found myself in last fall. I prefer to focus on the wave of human excellence that held me up in the aftermath.
Mechanical Grace

Re: Yep

A rope leash wrote:If one never complains about the food, the food never gets any better.

There is no substitute for intellectual honesty. Be thyself, know thyself, protect thyself from the townsfolk.

The fact remains that the human race has a long way to go before justice and freedom are realities for all. I'm supposed to smile and be happy about that? Sorry, nope...I'm gonna call 'em as I see 'em...
Boy you really do like to argue for no reason, don't you? Nothing you've written refutes anything I've written. It's all well and good to spout platitudes that make one seem enlightened and superior, but, well, actually, no it's not.

Being pissed off at the state of things [plus]
Being vocal about said pissed-offedness [does NOT equal]
Being a misanthrope

Signed,

Ignorant, smiley, happy, intellectual-honesty-devoid, Koolaid-drinking, unable-to-call-'em-like-I-see-'em M(u)G

PS, as PH2K's experience shows, if no one notices when the food is good, there's no point in improving it (to use a corollary of your quip). To put it another way, what's the point of wanting good for humanity if you don't appreciate what good is already there?

The line between misanthropy and nihilism is very, very thin.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mechanical Grace

Oh yeah, that's me all over. 8)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Rope should have applied to be the new wiggle.. hmmpphhff!!

Or maybe he would have more fun here: http://www.backstreets.com/btx/viewforum.php?f=4
A rope leash

Where's the device for altering space and time?

Post by A rope leash »

Yeah, that site's okay.

I wasn't arguing with anyone. I was simply farting.

Did you think I was attempting to refute you, Mech? Poking me with a stick kind of hurts.

Good or bad, there's no shame in being human. It takes all kinds. They all want love. Of course they care, small groups and individuals. The larger picture is something else.

Anyone else here to talk to besides these secret agents?

(*hangs head, tucks tail between legs, rolls over...pees...*)
migdd

Post by migdd »

So. . .whatever became of norman brain?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

MIGDD : Those haemorrhoids sure do look painful on your avtar!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I dunno, that guy was cool though. And what about zebrasnake?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

And Shabbydoll.......and Sulkygirl........
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

costellopunk
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

How about Taz?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Gillibeanz wrote:
MIGDD : Those haemorrhoids sure do look painful on your avtar!!
Gilli, it's a . . .ahem. . .pillow. :wink:
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I know she still posts once in awhile, but I miss So Like Candy....
migdd

Post by migdd »

Bluechair wrote:
I dunno, that guy was cool though. And what about zebrasnake?
Be careful of what you asked for, Blue!! Remember when some of us throught WHAR might be Zebrasnake? :lol:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That was funny. Actually, I think zebrasnake was likely Wesley Willis. Notice how she disappeared around the time that he died?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mechanical Grace

I wasn't arguing with anyone. I was simply farting.
Well done then Rope, and I apologize for the stick.

Although some people are best left in the past (*continues to bite tongue*) I do miss a lot of folks who have 'passed on' from this forum-- notably HungupStrungup, and Bobster and Norman Brain, as mentioned, and hope I didn't contribute to their having left. I especially worry about our Patron, Narbalz. I was one of the only people to meet him; he was an utter loon, and I dearly hope he's still alive and well and spreading that looniness.
alexv

Post by alexv »

I miss Bob and Charlotte. I can't quite remember why, but I use to get a kick out of their/his/her posts.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the P's: Poppet, Plaything and Pip
Like me, the "g" is silent.