What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Did not know that. More originals on the upcoming record? What covers? etc
What this world needs is more silly men.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

1. Help Me (Larry Gatlin)
2. God's Gonna Cut You Down (Traditional)
3. Like the 309 (Johnny Cash)
4. If You Could Read My Mind (Gordon Lightfoot)
5. Further on up the Road (Bruce Springsteen)
6. The Evening Train (Hank Williams)
7. I Came to Believe (Johnny Cash)
8. Love's Been Good to Me (Rod McKuen)
9. A Legend in My Time (Don Gibson)
10. Rose of My Heart (Hugh Moffat)
11. Four Strong Winds (Ian Tyson)
12. I'm Free From the Chain Gang Now (Klein Herscher)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Some great Elliott Smith bootlegs. Martinfoyle's already mentioned the Warren Zevon boots at http://www.archive.org , that's where I found them. There's all sorts of audio stuff at that site, presidential speeches, etc. I even downloaded the earliest known recording of any human voice, Thomas Edison's voice. Here's a direct link to the ES, he's amazing: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query ... 20Smith%22
He does the best Beatles covers I think I've heard from anyone. Had 'For No-One' stuck in my mind for days after hearing it covered by him.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

don't care who knows it.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hey moody, I love that album - a great band with Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn. That was one of the first records I ever owned!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Giving The Dresden Dolls' latest another listen. Really terrific. A lot of Morrissey in there in the clever, daring, literate lyrics, but a unique sound with the piano and percussion and absence of guitars. Really growing on me in a big way.

BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Johnsburg, Illinois" has got to be one of the most beautiful songs ever written.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

don't like it as well as Thus Always To Tyrants, but it has its moments.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Hard to imagine anything bettering this in 2006 for me.
The Belle and Sebastian, Beth Orton and Candi Staton records are all superb, but this will just clinch it, I suspect.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Two great albums on one CD:

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Listening and watching: tonight's Later show was just cracking. I'm no huge Strokes fan, but loved the sound of them. They seem to be maturing nicely. Straightforward songs that felt very memorable. Flaming Lips typically silly and fun. Cat Power very lovely. Great sound, great band, strong songs. Divine Comedy good. Two solo revlations: Raul Midon - have you ever heard anyone play the guitar like that before? And sing like that and doing a trumpet solo with their lips at the same time before? Amazing. Plan B: getting good reviews, and not hard to see why. London white boy affecting Bronx rapper accent with acoustic guitar, shifting seamlessly from rap verse to gorgeous soul chorus, with a quote from 'I can't go for that, no can do' for good measure. And to top it all off Factory legends Anthony Wilson and Peter Saville talking about the new factory graphics book, though it would have been better to only have Saville there as Wilson can't help dominating, witha snip of the peak of Joy Dov's Transmission from Something Else from Sept '79. Made me think how Neil Hannon would be appreciating it as a serious JD lover, and then a nicce connection in that his song Mother Dear quotes direct from Ian Curtis from Isolation: 'I'm doing the best that I can'. Given that it's addressed to a mother and Closer is pretty much his favourite LP ever (me too Neil!), this seems a direct act of homage. Very affecting.

More details here, and they do have a watch again facility, I think for a week like the radio, so wait for this to load up if you want to see the best live music TV show going with a better than ever line-up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/show/index_20060623.shtml
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

Very, very good.
Otis Westinghouse

Agree - great record.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

This is the good stuff.

1. "Blue Train" - 10:43
2. "Moment's Notice" - 9:10
3. "Locomotion" - 7:14
4. "I'm Old Fashioned" - 7:58
5. "Lazy Bird" - 7:00

Recorded on September 15, 1957.

John Coltrane - Tenor saxophone
Lee Morgan - Trumpet
Curtis Fuller - Trombone
Paul Chambers - Bass
Kenny Drew - Piano
Philly Joe Jones - Drums
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

The Cat Power discussion made me want to revisit this, because the first time I heard CP I thought it was Beth Orton. Listening now, I can hear the obvious vocal difference but also the similarities.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Rickie Lee Jones' Pop Pop.

It's hot and steamy and occasionally stormy here, and it's a perfect accompaniment for not moving around too fast.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The year may only be halfway through, but I have a strong feeling this will end up on my Best of 2006 list. Norah Jones and a bunch of other New York musicians (most of them relative unknowns) playing country music... originals as well as great covers of songs like "Roly Poly", "Streets of Baltimore", "I Gotta Get Drunk" and "Tennessee Stud."

Apparently the original intent was for the group to be a Willie Nelson tribute band but only two Nelson songs ended up on the album.

Anyone who has criticized Norah Jones of being boring ought to check this out... a far cry from her own ballad, singer-songwriter oriented stuff. She only sings lead on about half of the album's tracks, though. The others are sung beautifully by guitarist Richard Julian.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

it really speaks to the anger I feel as a marginalized, 40-something soccer mom.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It's baffling to me that excellent music like this fails to get a North American release while a pile of other cack somehow makes it overseas. The ultimate underappreciated band - a hell of an album.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The Best of Morrissey - in anticipation of seeing him at the V Festival in August.

It seemed like a good place to start.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Important information! (I know what to omit - I ain't forgotten, honest!)
Otis Westinghouse

My son got this, heard it before it disappeared upstairs and liked it, but loved their Later performance and checked it out, and now I can't stop playing it. Several tracks are outstanding, in particular the total rock thrills of You Only Live Once, which has to be the best guitarry rocker I've heard in a long time. Lovely guitar chords and sounds. The singing is good, if obviously Iggy-influenced at times, particularly on Heart in a Cage, which is The Passenger revisited. the next song, Razorblade, has a chorus heavily indebted to Barry Mannilow's Mandy, but at least the vocals aren't influenced there. The amazon.com review here is pretty spot on, and also here from Mr ADJ McCulloch, who points out that 11 songs would have made it perfect, and instead they put on 3 b-sides as filler. Couldn't agree more. The curse of the CD age.

I don't really know their first two, so can't compare, but I would recommend this to anyone who likes a bit of guitar and 80sish new wave thrills. I guess they're deeply unfashionable now, and it seems if you're a NY band, you have to be painfully fashionabel until people have heard of you, then you're over, but to me this sounds like a band beginning to find their feet and mature a little.