Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verena

Post by verena »

I am with you, WWS and Crash. My mother had cancer surgery twice, so I know.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Great news, WSS.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Best of luck, WSS and Crash.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

Hopefully she'll be able to speak with us tomorrow.

Now I'm off to brine a turkey.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bobster

Post by bobster »

mood swung wrote:oh, sorry bobster! apparently my original post had a little red x where the (as decided by People magazine, not me)SMA-without-indoor-plumbing should have been. I guess it looked a lot like you. lol
No problem. And, rather than being abashed, from here on I shall now accept all cryptic remarks as confirmation that my Internet presence is sexier than certain occasionally talented pot smoking, not-really-movie-stars!

And good news, Crash8...and I'll try to at least leave a few nickels in the tip jar!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

from here on I shall now accept all cryptic remarks as confirmation that my Internet presence is sexier than certain occasionally talented pot smoking, not-really-movie-stars!
indeed it is, bobster. indeed it is.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

WSS glad to hear things went as well as they could. And thanks again to everyone for the support. All the good thoughts that go the way of these people always help.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

boatloads of happy thoughts her way, crash. two years ago, my mother was having a biopsy her doctor didn't want to put off until after the holidays (which was what she wanted to do). she made a good recovery. early detection, people! get those mammograms and do the prostate screenings, goddam it.

on a much different note, I made a pumpkin pie. ALL BY MYSELF!!!!
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I just learned that another one of my 17 year old cousins is pregnant. Third under 20 in the same family. This makes me so sad.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Red, my 15 y.o. daughter bought a baby gift for one of her school friends. :shock: And one of her soccer teammates is having twins. :shock: :shock:
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

It's sad, isn't it? Hell, I can't imagine having a baby NOW - and I'm 24!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

My sister is going to have a baby! And she is very age-appropriate! I am very excited to be Auntie Miss Buenos Aires!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:My sister is going to have a baby! And she is very age-appropriate! I am very excited to be Auntie Miss Buenos Aires!
Congrats to you - and your sister. Being an aunt or uncle must be fun (none of my siblings have had kids yet) - you get to spoil the little ones rotten while avoiding all of the parental duties.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

miss buenos aires wrote:My sister is going to have a baby! And she is very age-appropriate! I am very excited to be Auntie Miss Buenos Aires!
Yes, Congrats!!! Age-appropriate mothers-to-be are great! :D
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Congrats to you and your sister, MBA. You will make a fantastic aunt.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

does this call for a toast?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

You will rock as an aunt, MBA, and I'm sure your sister and brother-in-law are gonna make great, great parents. Congratulations!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

It's just past 8:00 am, but I'll toast! :) Congrats!

I'm so done having babies. :)
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I realize that I stand with the terrorists on this one but I would love it if for one month, just one teensy eensy little month, I could go online, walk through a Barnes & Noble or what have you and not get smacked in the face with something Beatles related. Yes, they are the most important rock group of the 20th century by leaps and bounds, yes they are the DNA of contemporary pop music (the good kind at least) and yes I went through a phase myself where I would eat, sleep and breath Abbey Road but I'm so f'n tired of not being able to avoid them for even four measly weeks. There's always a tribute album or magazine cover or book or something and I just want the infernal machine that won't let me eat a sandwich in my living room without hearing about what Paul McCartney is up to ease up and give me a break. Just one month. That's all I ask. We can go right back to them being the most popular and beloved band of all time for the next one hundred years (which is what will happen anyway) but just for that one meager month we substitute everything Beatles-related with, say, a flood of mainstream media coverage on the likes of Steve Forbert, Robbie Fulks, Rickie Lee Jones, Nick Lowe, John Hiatt, The Flaming Lips and, oh what the hell, Johnny Dowd. Seriously, one month of mass media saturation would put these artists, some of whom can't even get by on what they make as musicians, on Easy Street or at least Much Less Bumpy Street.

Sorry, I'm grumpy because I can't go anywhere and not hear something about the Beatles or one of their solo careers for a single, solitary day. Seriously, not *one* day and it's driving me crazy.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Thanks, everyone! My sister is going to make a phenomenal parent, and so will my brother-in-law. I'm planning to stay with them for a few months this summer to be their nanny, which should be an interesting change, as they live kind of in the middle of nowhere, in Vermont. It's a better middle of nowhere than, say, Gary, Indiana, though.

Crash: Yay for starting your own business!

Crash and WSS: Boo for cancer!

Vez: You are teetering on the brink of blasphemy there. I love talking to my dad about the Beatles, because he remains resolutely unimpressed with them. "Psychedelia would have happened anyway," he says. "Look at the Grateful Dead." I feel as though I'm an altar boy swigging Communion wine.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone know an easy way to get wax off of a tablecloth? We had some friends over yesterday for a late lunch and the cheapo candles I bought at Hannaford dripped all over the place.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I know I've dealt with this before when I've catered weddings, but I don't remember exactly what I did. I did find this though. Maybe it will help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_113031_wax-tablecloth.html

How to Get Wax Off a Tablecloth

If the warm glow of dinner candles has left you with a cold, hardened tablecloth stain the next morning, don't let it spoil the mood. Here's an easy way to remove caked-on wax and have that tablecloth ready for another romantic meal by tonight.

Steps:
1. Scoop up excess wax with a spatula or a spoon.

2. Lay the tablecloth on an ironing board, and place a plain paper sack over the wax stain. Apply a warm (not hot) iron to the paper. Replace the wax-saturated paper bag as needed. Continue until wax is no longer transferring to the paper.

3. Treat colored candle stains with a prewash stain remover, or apply detergent directly on the spot prior to washing. (Remember to pretest spot removers and stain removers in an inconspicuous area prior to treating stains.)

4. Launder the tablecloth with detergent in the hottest water that's safe for the fabric. Wax-based stains must be melted to be removed from the fabric fibers.

5. Make sure the stain is completely removed before placing your tablecloth in the dryer. If you're unsure, wash, wash again.

Overall Warnings:
Don't use a hot iron--it can burn the paper and fabric.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Thanks spooky! We'll give it a go.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

WSS: I forgot to tell you that I enjoyed your idea of using Grand Marnier over cranberry. YUM! I have a recipe where I mix cranberry with Amaretto, and topped with white chocolate pudding and heavy cream, but had never tried your idea. It was tasty. :)