Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Interestingly enough (to me, at least!), Chambers cites the root of 'gamos' as 'marriage', whereas I always thought it meant 'procreation', in which case your condition could have been described as 'celibate agamy', but now I see it is not a contradiction at all. I guess Bowie's marriage hasn't suffered the same fate, anyway.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Ordered "Piano Jazz: Costello/McPartland" and "Funeral: Arcade Fire"

Pacing event is the "The Right Spectacle" DVD which they cannot ship until the end of the month. So because I am a cheap ass and did not want to pay shipping, I need to wait until the beginning of October to listen/see. Anyone jazz fans here who can comment on the Costello/McPartland piece?

Also, based on the Wall Street Journals article on Wynton Marsalis, the wonderfully gifted 43 year old trumpeter, listing his favorite classic recordings, I am filling out my collection. Guess I should lael this section "Its an Old Thing" in contrast to Otis' thread title with content that is very much appreciated.

The complete list:
John Coltrane Quartet "Cresent" - already have it. Perfect
Billie Holiday "Lady in Satin" - ordered
Thelonious Monk "Thelonious Monk plays Duke Ellington" - ordered
Duke Ellington "The New Orleans Suite" - ordered
Charlie Parker " A Night in Birdland" - already own on vinyl. Don't think it is available anywhere on CD.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Killers - Hot Fuss
Antony & The Johnsons - I am a Bird Now
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Proclaimers - Restless Soul
Stiff Little Fingers - All the Best
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Nice list. Killers not mentioned on the New Thing thread yet, but there's some great stuff on that LP, real quality singles. I suspect they have what it takes to make several more. We're all keen to hear more about Anthony. Hope you love Arcade Fire as much as I do. The Proclaimers are playing at the smallish Cambridge venue The Junction soon. Would love to go, but won't get to. Wonder what their new stuff is like. SLF: cracking! My teen anthem:

You know there ain't no street like home
To make you feel so all alone
Plenty of folk to tell you what to do
But they don't speak the same language as you

Enjoy the gig!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

A Bigger Bang and Youth & Young Manhood

these need not be mutually exclusive. 8)

ABB is much better than I expected. Streets of Love is one of those over andoverandover songs for me - at least until I get sick of it. I think there's 16 songs on it, and maybe 4 are great, 4 decent, the rest ho-hum. IMESHO, anyways.

Y&YM - like the Black Crowes on squirrelly amphetamines. can't wait for next month.

SLL, I love the Killers - at least the singles. Mr. Brightside is on several of my playlists. It's a drug. I hit replay over and over and over (notice a pattern?) until someone makes me quit. No doubt you hate it.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I like that Killers record a lot as well. Got it at the beginning of the summer and it's gotten a lot of play.

Today I finally got the new Ron Sexsmith (& Kerr) record, as well as Discover a Lovlier You by the Pernice Brothers, and the October issue of Word with its attendant CD. Am happy there's a Sigur Ros track on the last, cause I've wanted to hear more than the snippets here and there I've happened by.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:Am happy there's a Sigur Ros track on the last, cause I've wanted to hear more than the snippets here and there I've happened by.
I got Takk... earlier this week and have been listening to it in the car, to and from driving my little guy into daycare in the morning (Mommy's in San Francisco this week, so I'm flying solo with the little ones and boy am I bushed). I am really digging it, and the video for the new single is beautiful if you get a chance to see it. More variety than on their previous album. I still don't know or care what they're singing about, but that isn't the point.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Mrs VG bought me The Magic Numbers for my birthday so I'll give that a listen after I've finished with the Elvis and Emmylou shows 8)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

How's this for a bargain:

Aimee Mann - Lost in Space (£1.99), and
Bob Dylan - Chronicles Vol 1, 6 song sampler (FREE!)

in the HMV sale - get there quick, and save the Students from squandering their Loans by buying everything in store :)

BTW - the sampler has 2 unreleased songs - The Cuckoo (Live from The Gaslight) and Dignity (demo).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Got the Rhino Handmade CD reissues of two great albums - Monkey On A Chain Gang and Tantilla by the pioneering Virginia-based guitar/drums duo House Of Freaks. I remember seeing them with my brother at a little club in Hollywood in the 1980s and being amazed by their ability to get such a big, thick sound out of just two instruments. I had a vinyl copy of Chain Gang years ago, but it was lost somewhere along the way.

Listening to these great records again, you can see where the trend of two piece rock-blues bands like The White Stripes and The Black Keys began. It's so great to have companies like Rhino and TwinTone preserving great music - Rhino with Handmade and TwinTone with its offering of high-quality custom CDs of things like the early Replacements albums and The Feelies' first few discs.[/url]

Just saw this story on Billboard.com. Very sad news. :-( RIP...

Two Held For Murder Of Musician Harvey
January 09, 2006, 10:30 AM ET

Chris Morris, The Hollywood Reporter

Richmond, Va., police said Saturday that two men had been arrested for the New Year's Day murders of musician Bryan Harvey and his family and the slaying of another three people found dead in Richmond on Friday.

Ray Joseph Dandridge, 28, and Ricky Javon Gray, 28, were arrested in Philadelphia. The pair was charged with four counts each of conspiracy to commit murder in the murders of Harvey, his wife and their two young children.

They were additionally charged with one count each of auto theft and conspiracy to commit murder in the deaths of three family members found bound and slain Friday in their ransacked home.

Harvey was a member of the two-man band House Of Freaks, which attained prominence during a 1980s stay in Los Angeles.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote: save the Students from squandering their Loans by buying everything in store :)
Well, it's no secret why HMV and Virgin always have sales at this time of year.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, I finally got a few things I've been wanting quite badly:

Orange Juice - Glasgow School
Steve Forbert - Jackrabbit Slim (vinyl replacement program)
Doves - Lost Souls
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Mood - I love Mr. Brightside too. I like all my recent purchases, the Antony & The Johnsons album is a real grower, can't get enough of it at the moment.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds good, must get my hands on it soon.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Richard Hawley's Coles Corner

A melancholy, nostalgic, late-night sort of album. Echoes of Sinatra/Tony Bennett, hints of Roy Orbison, '50s and early '60s rock and roll. Big lush arrangements in places. A nice change from a lot of the other stuff I've listened to this year.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Richard Hawley's Coles Corner

A melancholy, nostalgic, late-night sort of album. Echoes of Sinatra/Tony Bennett, hints of Roy Orbison, '50s and early '60s rock and roll. Big lush arrangements in places. A nice change from a lot of the other stuff I've listened to this year.
Plug time!

http://www.beingtheremag.com/content/05 ... hawley.php
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:

Plug time!

http://www.beingtheremag.com/content/05 ... hawley.php
Nice interview Blue! You've landed some great ones this year.

I do need to check out Being There more often. The album is really something special. Great packaging/photos on the CD as well - RH getting ready to meet a date at Coles Corner, then the ride in a cab with flowers in hand, RH checking his watch when his date doesn't show up, RH in a phone booth making a desperate call, then the flowers thrown away on the back cover. Very clever.
Otis Westinghouse

selfmademug wrote:Orange Juice - Glasgow School
Doves - Lost Souls
Ah, the mighty Glasgow School! What does the Mighty Mug make of this treasure trove of fey pop brilliance. 'We can laugh at danger all day long/And still be laughing when the sun has gone/Be wise to history/Open your eyes and sing to me...' Heaven. Reissue compilation of the decade.

What's Lost Souls like compared to the more acclaimed second and thirrd LPs? Don't recall anything off it, does it compare? Do you recognise anything off it from their set?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well I'm awash in great stuff, so it may take me a while to get round to commenting, but I will, I promise. Short answer is I love both the OJ and the Doves records so far. Have had more time with the former than the latter...
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
What's Lost Souls like compared to the more acclaimed second and thirrd LPs? Don't recall anything off it, does it compare? Do you recognise anything off it from their set?
Lost Souls is the best Doves album to date. Moody, melancholic and bursting with a desire to get their music released. Tracks like 'The Cedar Room' and 'Sea Song' are truly enchanting and deserve a decent pair of headphones, a choice alcoholic beverage and a comfy chair late one night. The whole album sits together beautifully and its slightly understated style makes it all the more charming.
Otis Westinghouse

I want it!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I am really really enjoying this disc, which has now vaulted into my top 5 for 2005.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

It is really rather good. This year's been fantastic so far for new music, although I've never been one to subscribe to the 'oh, it's not as good as it used to be' ethic that you hear so much of these days.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Bad Ambassador wrote:I've never been one to subscribe to the 'oh, it's not as good as it used to be' ethic that you hear so much of these days.
And that's just why I love the people on this board.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:

I am really really enjoying this disc, which has now vaulted into my top 5 for 2005.
I have two extra copies (one is a promo) if anybody wants them. PM me.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.