Tears for Macca

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Tears for Macca

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

With Bunny's account in mind, I watched the docu about Macca's recent tour (which was being shown on both VH1 and BBC4 last night, oddly, so I saw it twice) and was totally moved, real hairs on the back of the neck, tears in eyes stuff. It was the way the camera picked out the crying faces, especially with the earlier Beatles songs such as All My Loving and, of course, Yesterday. And the five piece band were cracking (none of whome were known to me, but all great, with huge black drummer Abe a real focal point), and Macca was in great voice, apart from when he played The Long and Winding Road and the entire crew surprised him by holding up cardw with red hearts on at the front of the audience, and he totally losst it and was in tears. It was all far more powerful than when I saw him c. 1990, a fantastic account of someone who has a stunning back catalogue and can play it with love and integrity. Interesting in terms of other olddies discussed here (e.g. Simon and Garfunkel). I didn't think I'd be blown away anything like I was. Something incredibly humbling about a mass collective outpouring of emotion, and when it's in the context of music, well ain't it lovely?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Hes a fake!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Joe Porterhouse

Post by Joe Porterhouse »

Yeah, I saw that special and it was quite good.It made me groove but that Long and Winding part was very powerful.Cheers to Paul!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Oh Otis, you softie. That programme was much too polished for my liking. I guess that's what the whole of the tour was like -- from what I gather it was the same night after night, even down to his jokes and stories inbetween songs. But yeah, the last night by the river was an emotional concert. This time they gave out cards with hearts on to the entire audience, but I think we held them up while he was singing 'Hey Jude', not 'TLAWR'. Like a big baby, he was. 40,000 people doing that cannot fail to move you. I like guys who show their emotions.

Now, is he going to get done for 'hitting' that photographer, I wonder.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Gillibeanz said..
Hes a fake!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one Gilli, but I changed my mind about that after all the furore we had last month...I now think that the Beatles knew what they were doing and it was a huge elaborate plan to make people ruin their records by playing them backwards and have to buy new ones!

....then with the money they could fund their cryogenic storage of Walt Disney, Elvis Pressley and Hitler's heads.
Otis Westinghouse

Course I'm a softie. And yes it was all very polished, but it was also real, as were the tears, so you got good value for money.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis, there's a double live cd from last year featuring that band, 'Back In The US'. Having said that, I still prefer to listen to the 'Wingspan - Hits & History' Macca/Wings double cd -- it's packed full of goodies (notwithstanding the odd bit of signature Macca kookiness, but what else would one expect? Got to respect the guy for always doing just what he wants though, he never jumps on any bandwagon) and I'd recommend it as the best round-off to his non-Beatles stuff.

Doesn't Vanilla Sky sound like Biker Like An Icon...
Last edited by bambooneedle on Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

I wouldn't mind Back To The US if it's on DVD, would get it out for a good old cry borne of collective emotion every once in a while. I honestly couldn't be bothered with Wingspan. I'd listen to Band On The Run again, Jet in particular, of course, and Let Me Roll It (is that his?), but not that much else. Having said that, Wings Over America (triple vinyl, yay!) was one I played loads and loads as a teen. I still have London Town, which I played about 4 times.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I've got Wings Over America as well -- great live album as it's from the era, and I like the sound of 70's rock.

Back In The US is available on DVD, but apparently it features the annoying insterpersion of interviews and other footage between the live performances.

Let Me Roll It kinda sucks, I reckon... yeh it's his.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I also primarily listen to Wingspan, when it comes to solo Macca. Great compilation. Though I also like to listen to Flaming Pie, Wings Over America, and RAM pretty often.

The Back In The US dvd is quite good, though I think it would have been better if it was just an uncut concert in it's entirety, maybe with some behind the scenes stuff as bonus features.
HungupStrungup

no Bip Bop?

Post by HungupStrungup »

BlueChair wrote:I also primarily listen to Wingspan, when it comes to solo Macca. Great compilation. Though I also like to listen to Flaming Pie, Wings Over America, and RAM pretty often.
And just what's wrong with Wild Life and Back to the Egg?
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

"...but all the applause, is for their name not yours..."
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

LET ME ROLL IT IS GREAT!

The DVD is great otis. it sounds GREAT. That band really rocks, and I think Band On The Run, and even Back in the ussr sound even better than the originals on this DVD!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I wouldn't go THAT far, though this last tour was definitely rockin'. I would have liked to see more variation in the setlist though. But at least Toronto got the only "Mull Of Kyntire" in all of North America.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I finally found VENUS & MARS on CD a month or so ago. I always loved that record, and it really holds up after all these years. Some great stuff, and it's a start-to-finish kind of record, you know? I know LTZ agrees with me.

Signed,

Elf-Made-Smug :wink:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

How can I forget Venus & Mars? Fantastic record! Many of the highlights off of Wings Over America come from V&M.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I DO AGREE ELFFIE!

Sitting in the stands of the sports arena
waiting for the show to begin.
red lights green lights
STRAWBERRY WINE
a good friend of mine
follows the stars
venus and mars are alright tonight
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I'M GOING HOME EARLY TONIGHT!!!!

Was it worth it.....now i'm working tonigth through 3am monday morning.

BUT I'M GOING HOME EARLY TONIGHT!!!