New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Wow, Waterboys get mentioned on the board !!
Never seen them, Otis, but I've heard they're brilliant live. Wish they could tour over here one day.
They are releasing a new album in April, btw.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well they have been before, for sure. Picked up tickets. Sitting right at the back in the balcony. Not the best for atmosphere at the Corn Exchange. I thought they were newly on sale and there would be lots of choice, but obviously lotsa fans round here. They'll be touring the new LP, then OBook of Lightning). I only know the Best Of and Fisherman's Blues, which was a real fave back in the day, and would vie with MLAR on the car stereo for attention. We Will Not Be Lovers, for example. And it's a bit corny, but I always adored their setting of Yeats' 'Come away, human child'. Have you got the deluxe edition? Only got on tape, so would be keen. Always wanted to see them live, and I recall a good review in the paper on a recent tour. Will report back!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Very jealous Otis, they are well known as being a fantastic live band, and have a load of great songs to choose from, so the set list should be fanstastic. "This is the Sea" is one of my favourite songs, a true epic. If they play anything like on this

then it should be a memorable evening.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I saw many a Waterboys show back in the '80s' , all of them sweaty, heaving affairs , the evenings ending with deafened ears and clothes stinking of smoke and drink. I saw them ( or whatever combination Scott collected on stage that year) again about 5/6 years ago. The same intensity but there was disappointing sameness to the proceedings. Maybe that says more about me than Scott and co. 'cos everyone else there was going bananas.

New Years Eve 1987 I saw them doing a show in the Top Hat, Dun Laoghaire , 17 miles outside Dublin. I well remember that mileage figure 'cos we had to walk it home, a combination of lack of funding and absence of taxis. One of our number had promised to 'phone his girlfriend , a nurse doing night duty. The rest of us spent a very mature few minutes making mocking gestures outside the 'phone box in Blackrock village as he expressed his undying love etc. She later dumped him , the day before my sisters wedding ; she still insisted on attending the ceremony since she had bought a hat for it. Nothing to do with the Waterboys , of course - it just drifted into my mind as I type.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I highly recommend Fisherman's Blues deluxe edition from last year.
It's got a great bonus disc including a previously-unreleased gem You In The Sky, two Dylan covers - Nobody 'Cept You and Girl Of The North Country, and my personal fave, a country-flavoured Lonesome And A Long Way From Home.

The new single, Everybody Takes A Tumble, sounds very promising (I love Steve Wickham's violins !). If there was justice in the world, it should easily be a Top 10 hit.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Just back from seeing Neko Case and her band at Lincoln Center. What a spectacular setting, with the East Side skyline and Central Park in the background. We were lucky enough to have a table for both sets, with a nice bottle of wine, close to the stage.

Suffice to say that Neko's voice is a hell of an instrument, and she was really in peak form. Great little band too. She played a lot of my favorites and threw in a few surprises. I think I'm in love.
A couple of photos from the gig on Pitchfork...

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

My daughter is a big Rocco Deluca and the Burden fan and we saw him solo in a Fye's record store tonight in Torrence. Two weeks ago a solo acoustic set at an Irvine Starbucks of all places. He is starting to shine and does some nice work with the Dobro. He is on Ironworks, Keifers label, as is Ron Sexsmith.

We spoke tonight as he signed my daughters quitar and invited us to the HOB Hollywood show on the 19th, cause we have been following him around. A 14 year old and a crush can drive Dad to absolute distraction, but she loves it, and she could be into a lot worse music.

"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

have tickets to see Steve Forbert at The Focal Point n Maplewood, MO March 30. The Focal Point is a little dump on a side street sometimes hosting concerts you can get into if you bring canned food for the poor. 10 rows of old church pews each holding about 8 people and a little wooden stage in front. they say they put some more aluminum chairs in the back in front of the windows. i understand he is no longer the next "next bob dylan", but jeez he needs a new agent. or an agent period.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

I just returned from seeing Chris Difford last night in Pawling, NY. What a beautiful night, as we saw the lunar eclipse on our way to the venue. The Towne Crier has great food, and we enjoyed our dinners and drinks with anticipation, as Chris has not been in the states for many years. It was fantastic to see him again. He sounded and looked great. He performed mostly Squeeze songs but also threw in some solo material. I wish he did more solo material, as it really sounded good. He discussed writing with Glenn, his fear of flying, and shared many other stories and laughs with us. He was kind enough to autograph my Difford and Tillbrook album cover at the end of the show, and also pose for a pic. I personally invited him back here anytime, and yes, he did sing "Goodbye Girl." What a great night...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

goodbyegirl wrote:I just returned from seeing Chris Difford last night in Pawling, NY. What a beautiful night, as we saw the lunar eclipse on our way to the venue. The Towne Crier has great food, and we enjoyed our dinners and drinks with anticipation, as Chris has not been in the states for many years. It was fantastic to see him again. He sounded and looked great. He performed mostly Squeeze songs but also threw in some solo material. I wish he did more solo material, as it really sounded good. He discussed writing with Glenn, his fear of flying, and shared many other stories and laughs with us. He was kind enough to autograph my Difford and Tillbrook album cover at the end of the show, and also pose for a pic. I personally invited him back here anytime, and yes, he did sing "Goodbye Girl." What a great night...
Damn, I missed it. We couldn't arrange babysitting. They do have terrific food there. It's well worth arriving early for dinner.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Saw the Fratellis at the Brixton Academy in south London last night. Quite good without really setting the pulse racing. Saw the lunar eclipse on our way home.
signed with love and vicious kisses
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

[quote]Damn, I missed it. We couldn't arrange babysitting. They do have terrific food there. It's well worth arriving early for dinner.

Sorry you couldn't make it WSS. Would have been great to meet you.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

goodbyegirl wrote:
Damn, I missed it. We couldn't arrange babysitting. They do have terrific food there. It's well worth arriving early for dinner.

Sorry you couldn't make it WSS. Would have been great to meet you.
Hopefully there will be another worthwhile show there sometime soon. If so, it would be great to say hello.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Erin Mckeown

A friend invited me to go see her so I happpily did so. (Who can pass up a free ticket to see live music? Not me.) I was pleasantly surprised. She is one of these artist that you just can't pigeonhole. Jazzy, alternative, punk...she did it all. Her keyboard player is a state whistling champ and he had a whistling solo in one of the numbers. She's on her way to the UK and Ireland and she is worth seeing.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

so lacklustre wrote:Saw the Fratellis at the Brixton Academy in south London last night. Quite good without really setting the pulse racing. Saw the lunar eclipse on our way home.
I contemplated going but we went to see The Jamm (tribute band) instead. It was a good night although I suffered for it on Saturday.

They don't solely do the hits and pulled out some good album tracks such as Private Hell, Ghosts and The Place I Love as well as B sides such as the Butterfly Collector and Liza Radley. Highly recommended.

Regarding Chris Difford, it was interesting to read that Glenn and himself had been offered a support slot as Squeeze for Crowded House's reformation tour. I think this could be the year Squeeze actually do reform (although I understand they have not technically split up but are on permanent hiatus :? ).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Going to see the Raveonettes this Saturday...
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

so lacklustre wrote:Saw the lunar eclipse on our way home.
That was my gig of the week. quite spectacular. I have to confess, though, that I didn't read till the next day that this was the best till 2029. Wish I'd made more of it. I was busy packing and preparing to travel, so actually missed the bit where it was total. Doh! Saw it almost total. All orange and spooky.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

James McMurtry 5/5 and Todd Snider on 8/4 at The Shed. I can buy me a Harley while I'm there.

I'm trying to twist oily's arm on both of these, but he's a tough sell. Likes those swing bands.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I have guaranteed tickets to see the Arctic Monkeys next month. I like the way they have done this, everyone registered on their website had the chance to register interest for one date on their tour, they then did a random computerised selection - and I came out. I now have a three day time slot to buy the tickets using the code they sent me.
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

been in Key West?
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Talked some friends into going with me to the Roskilde Festival again this year, so unless the Arcade Fire cancels for some reason, I guess I will get to see them this year after all!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

so lacklustre wrote:I have guaranteed tickets to see the Arctic Monkeys next month. I like the way they have done this, everyone registered on their website had the chance to register interest for one date on their tour, they then did a random computerised selection - and I came out. I now have a three day time slot to buy the tickets using the code they sent me.
mood swung wrote:been in Key West?
so lack, you wrote "i came out" and key west, florida has a lot of gay people. get it? just trying to help. oddly, blue wrote "the man in me" in the song title thread almost simultaneously with your declaration. i don't know if that means anything.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

it was that dash that did him in.

seriously, I am secretly an 11 year old boy. I always say ' under there?' to get my kids to say 'under where?'
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

mood swung wrote: I am secretly an 11 year old boy
And that's why we love you.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

:D

thanks. I needed that.