R.I.P Johnny Cash

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
A rope leash

No black

Post by A rope leash »

DPAM: That's just a really great photo of Johnny, ain't it? He's not even wearing black!

He looks like a cowboy, but with the soul of an Indian.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Apparently Springsteen opened his set last night in Washington D.C. with a cover of "I Walk The Line."

Cash did a few great covers of Springsteen songs, like "Highway Patrolman"
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I try to pattern my life after J. Cash...! Dress in black, experience darkness and misery, and sex drugs and rock and roll. I wonder if Johnny was into S/M??
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

The Macintosh Man wrote:
martinfoyle wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but I'm drawing a blank on when EC recorded with Johnny Cash. When did this happen?
From EC's liner notes to the Rykodisc reissue of "Almost Blue": "In a roundabout way my link with country music was strengthened by Nick Lowe's marriage to Carlene Carter, daughter of June Carter and granddaughter of Mother Maybelle of The Carter Family, not to mention step-daughter of Johnny Cash. None of this would have been of any relevance had Johnny not suggested a Christmas Day recording session in the ground floor studio of Nick and Carlene's large terraced house in Shepherd's Bush. In fact the session finally took place on St. Stephen's Day where I was among the musicians greeted in the narrow hallway outside the tiny studio by the imposing figure of Nick's father-in-law, who rumbled "Hello I'm Johnny Cash", just like on "Live At San Quentin". Cut at this session were Nick's "Without Love" (which appeared on Cash's "Johnny 99" album) and a rare George Jones composition entitled "We Ought To Be Ashamed" which, I'm sorry to say, proved to be prophetic. While it was great fun to sing with the big man it seems our duet did not make the grade."
Thanks, Mac., Elvis actually just mentioned this on his Richard & Judy appearance.
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

i found out the day it happened. i was with a patient and they had the tv on and i heard the news. we both kinda looked at each other. didn't really know what to say. this patient was a total cowboy and he was visibly disturbed. johnny cash was one of the last true country singers and real piece of americana. i miss the guy.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Seldom does the main stream press do something right, but Johnny Cash is on the cover of Time this week.

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101030922/story.html[/img]
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Picked up the issue of TIME today. Hope to frame it eventually.
Joe Porterhouse

Post by Joe Porterhouse »

Wow!The Time cover is richly deserved, although I have very little confidence in most mainstream media so I am a bit suprised.Rock on, Johnny!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Oliver's Army opened our Friday and Saturday night shows with Folsom Prison Blues in honor of Johnny. Give our love to June, Johnny.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Picked up the Time issue with Johnny on the cover this morning. I read it in a diner eating an early lunch and almost wept. I miss Johnny and June Carter very badly today.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

My girlfriend got me this great Johnny Cash magazine (put out by Country Weekly). Recommended for any Cash fans. Lots of rare photos and interesting in-depth insight on his entire career.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

BlueChair wrote:My girlfriend got me this great Johnny Cash magazine (put out by Country Weekly). Recommended for any Cash fans. Lots of rare photos and interesting in-depth insight on his entire career.
http://www.countryweekly.com/stories/fe ... ceid=59342

Looks good.
bobster

Post by bobster »

And EC spoke once again about JC last night on "Letterman." Nothing too new there, but I thought it was interesting that he said something to the effect that Johnny was back with June now, "and that's the way it should be." Sounds almost religious....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

nah, nothing religious about that. it sounds good and spiritual. very nice sentiment.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Misha

Post by Misha »

I'm just now finding Johnny Cash's music...I took the long road...

Even I can feel some of the life has been sucked out of the music world by his absence. I'm just sorry to be discovering him after he's left. But, that, I guess, keeps him alive....

Anyone have any great album recommendations for me to start with...I own nothing by him.
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Misha -

You can't do any better than to start with AT FOLSOM PRISON and AT SAN QUENTIN - two of the best ever live recordings by anyone. His relatively recent American Recordings records (AMERICAN RECORDINGS, UNCHAINED, SOLITARY MAN and THE MAN COMES AROUND) have been superb (the first and third are my faves). If you can, try and get your hands on a cheapo CD from his Sun Records stint, like THE SUN YEARS, which will give you a taste of early Johnny. This one's not for everyone, and it can be a little syrupy at times, but I really love CARRYIN' ON, a duet album with June.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

-The Fabulous Johnny Cash
-Water From The Wells of Home
-Orange Blossom Special
-VH1 Storytellers w/ Willie Nelson (not quite the summit one might hope for, but still underrated for how good it actually is)
-Johnny 99 (if you can find it!)

....of course, the four AR albums along with the prison albums and a good collection of his Sun recordings are all essential Man In Black. There are also several recent tribute albums, the best of which (at least in my opinion) is Kindred Spirits with Springsteen, Dylan, Little Richard and Steve Earle among many others doing damn cool turns on the Cash songbook.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/co ... p?pid=1967

Great feature on Rolling Stone, including a statement by Bob Dylan. Johnny's on the cover of the newest issue, by the way.
uselessbeauty?

Post by uselessbeauty? »

if you're going to start with cash you have to start with folsom prison. then i recommend american recordings. those two are the essential johnny cash albums.

also on a really cool not i got a 45 of "i walk the line" on sun records today.
i knew they were going to fire me after i stole the eighteen wheeler. so i quit first.
true story
Misha

Post by Misha »

Thanks for the tips, guys....I've spent so many years denigrating country music, that I fear my roommate is going to have a heart attack when I bring home Folsum Prison.....maybe I'll hide it..
:D :D :D
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?