This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Are you a fan of the Series 24?

Not at all. Never seen it.
53%
I have Seen it and was not impressed.
11%
Seen It. Hated It. Contrived and Derivative
5%
Seen it and Like it. Catch it when I can. Great story
11%
Love it. An Ardent Fan. Jack Bauer is a role model and hero. Should win Emmy
21%

Total votes: 19

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Any fans of the televison series 24? Looking very much forward to a new season of the trials and tribulations of the Adam West with the Batman utility belt equivalent of Jack Bauer. Sure, Kiefer has become predictable and more than a little formulaic, but I still enjoy the series.

Starts Sunday, and it is a big event. Seasons one and two were beautifully shot...multiple camera angles and parallel stories made for a roller coaster/riveting visual experience. The last three seasons have gone more "linear" and the accolades are coming in, so the public had problems juggling 3-4 story lines, so they simplified it, and while it is getting higher critical acclaim, it is not the show it used to be.

Sylvester the Cat and Wiley Coyote have not gotten out of as many death-defying situations as Jack Bauer, but hey, they are just cartoons, and Jack Bauer is REAL. (vieled movie reference for someone up to the challenge in that last sentence). Long live Agent Pierce, Jack, and even Chloe, the most obvious case of weak overacting that has been parlayed into cult hero status. Chloe looks like she has sucked more lemons than both Rene Zellwegger and Jim Carrey combined. But for the masses, Chloe is loved.

Now:"CTU Agent - DROP YOUR WEAPON"

(too late- you're toast)

24 in 48

signed.
Edgar
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Its hopelessly hokey.
Still - I'm unable to look away!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Not a fan. Endless and frenetic. But Kiefer seems like a decent enough guy.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Sulkygirl1

Post by Sulkygirl1 »

I love the show- by far the most riveting prime time program on television.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I've watched the first 3 seasons - (2 & 3 on dvd) - I liked one and two and didn't really care for 3 - way too contrived. Still, like Toothpaste said, I have trouble looking away. I'll catch up with the other seasons eventually, but am in no rush.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

None of the choices seem quite right for me. I saw one episode - liked it, but didn't feel compelled to watch more. Maybe someday I will watch it on DVD.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Was the first season truly more non-linear? I haven't seen it since it aired and the following seasons have kept me glued.

If you are working through the DVDs, season 5 is a great!

Anyone else watched the first 4 hours of the new season? It is hard to recall a more brutal beginning to the show. I don't mean the attention getting climax. The beatings and interrogations seem far more graphic than my memory recalls of the earlier seasons. I do have a tendency to forget so maybe I have this feeling at the beginning of each show.

Not as essential as The Office or Deadwood but a great escapist pleasure. Much what the more recent Heroes is becoming. (The comparisons end there though.)
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Off to a pretty good start this year...but an open festering wound of a story thread that makes no sense at this juncture. Let's see if they put closure to it.

Also, Tony will likely return. the 24 CW is that he is six feet under, but there is some evidence to suggest he will be back...

Ahhh, Hollywood.

"Sometime's you just need to shoot someone in the thigh..."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ludicrous, impossible - I love it! This is the first season I'll be watching mere hours after transmission thanks to downloads from the 'net so I no longer have to avoid discussions like this. After five hours I've already spotted three 'gaps' where Jack could have had a pee/ snorted coke , an all important aspect of this show. The imminent appearance of Jack Senior (reportedly Sutherland Senior) is also another reason that I can't wait for the next segment.
Richard

Post by Richard »

***Spoiler***

Not Donald Sutherland as Jack's dad. The previews show him to be James Cromwell. (Six Feet Under, Babe, I Robot etc..)

The Donald Sutherland concept is a good one though.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Jack continues to say "dammit" to appease the college kids (see U tube goodies) and the real time concept, held firm in earlier episodes, is completely shot if you really count the minutes. We are only 300 minutes into the day. Also, when he references a street location in LA often one of the street names is real and the other is some homage to his youth, usually the name of a Canadian City of canadian landmark. His grandfather was an important, high level Canadian government official who is considered the father of the current healthcare system in Canada, or so it is told. Given the grim outcomes of this broken system, I am not sure he wants to make a real big deal out of that.

Jack and his bag have saved 1000's more lives than Batmans Utility BatBelt ever saved.

I still love it. Of course, they always feature FOX news for their film clips and reporting of current, developing crisis events. Soon, Shawn Hannity will be director of CTU and Alan Combs will be trying to blow up O'Hare, Terminal H.

Where is Agent Pierce, and how long has he been hangin' with Martha Logan?

Dammit.