re-issue wishlist

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

re-issue wishlist

Post by ice nine »

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I've been listening to Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love and it is 'muddy' sounding. My wish is that this CD be reissued. Some bonus materials would be nice, too.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Prefab Sprout's Swoon - the current edition is awful!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

THE BEATLES !!!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The Beatles (entire output)
Bob Dylan (albums they missed the first time around)
Neil Young (almost everything)
Bruce Springsteen (1973-1987 output save Born To Run)
Tom Waits (70s, 80s)
Van Morrison (Astral Weeks, His Band And Street Choir, Moondance)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

This good enough for you, Mark? :P

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... 0102&BAB=E

It's the one I have and it sounds good to me!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Husker Du and Buddy Holly. Both bodies of work are seemingly stuck in legal limbo, though with the success of the Dinosaur Jr re-issues there's a better chance of Hart and Mould coming to an agreement. As for the Holly stuff, I can see Elvis playing Whelans before that happens.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

martinfoyle wrote:Husker Du and Buddy Holly. Both bodies of work are seemingly stuck in legal limbo, though with the success of the Dinosaur Jr re-issues there's a better chance of Hart and Mould coming to an agreement. As for the Holly stuff, I can see Elvis playing Whelans before that happens.
These would be my first two choices as well.

I actually sent a letter to MCA several years ago on Buddy Holly - and they basically told me not to hold my breath. I have the big vinyl box set they put out over 20 years ago - but there's a shitload more stuff out there and it's a crime this hasn't been re-released.

The Husker Du stuff is in dire need of re-mastering. The sound on the cd releases is pretty poor and does no favors to their legacy. As much of a fan as I am of Bob Mould, I would guess he is very difficult to deal with.

Two others I'd like to see big box sets from or re-releases with extras (loaded with extras) are Doug Sahm and the Standells.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I actually sent a letter to MCA several years ago on Buddy Holly - and they basically told me not to hold my breath. I have the big vinyl box set they put out over 20 years ago - but there's a shitload more stuff out there and it's a crime this hasn't been re-released.
The situation regarding Holly's recordings is really, really bizarre. Basically most of them were owned by his producer/manager ( who ripped him of, forcing him to go on a under-resourced tour which got him killed.....but that's another story) and were inherited , upon his death , by his widow. She left them to her female lover.......and then it all gets too complicated. Factor in that Holly's family never , for religious reasons, really approved of his music career and you get a general indifference to tidying up the whole affair.

However time may eventually sort things out. His early 1950's output has gone out of copyright in the U.K. and is getting repackaged in a intelligent fashion.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/revola/artis ... yholly.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gotta-Roll-~-Ea ... F8&s=music

Hopefully the rest will follow.
martinfoyle

Re:

Post by martinfoyle »

martinfoyle wrote:Husker Du and Buddy Holly. Both bodies of work are seemingly stuck in legal limbo, though with the success of the Dinosaur Jr re-issues there's a better chance of Hart and Mould coming to an agreement. As for the Holly stuff, I can see Elvis playing Whelans before that happens.
At last! Now lets see if Hart & Mould can do something.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/5 ... &dist=hppr
Otis Westinghouse

Re: re-issue wishlist

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

What happened to the Bowie '30th anniversary' programme? We should have had STS, Low and Heroes by now. I have none of these on CD and therefore not in iPod as I'm awaiting the re-releases, refusing to be done out by buying the previous ones now and then having to rebuy. And the YA's one fell short of what it should have been. Grrrrr.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I'm still miffed they skipped Hunky Dory. Think there'll be a 40th anniversary edition in 2011? Me neither.
migdd

Post by migdd »

The Beatles.

Each original LP as a double disc. One disc being the UK version, the other would be the US release. Perhaps a third disc in each set with outtakes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

wardo68 wrote:I'm still miffed they skipped Hunky Dory. Think there'll be a 40th anniversary edition in 2011? Me neither.
and all others pre-Ziggy.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

From the wikipedia page on the Beatles -

2009 CD remasters

All albums by the Beatles (including Past Masters, Volume One and Past Masters, Volume Two) will be released newly remastered sometime in 2009 on CD.[129][130] The 2009 remasters will replace the infamously poor quality 1987 remasters.[129][130] Help! and Rubber Soul will be available in three mixes: mono, original stereo and the 1987 stereo "rebalances" done for compact disc.[citation needed] No 5.1 surround mixes are planned. Mojo Magazine's Mat Snow was invited to hear 10 remastered tracks from 1968's The White Album and stated that they were "Better even than we'd hoped." [131]

[131] = http://www.whatgoeson.com/blog/the-beat ... event.html (full story here)

I don't care about the US releases in addition to the 'proper' UK cannon (should I?) so long as on any reissue series they include both the mono and stereo mixes as The Beatles originally intended them to be heard.

Whenever remasters happen it should be huge. Back when the Anthology Cds and movies came out in the 90's Beatles sales were astronomical - 44 million in 91 alone and a 51million jump in '97. According to the wiki page in the '80s they sold about one million in the US and in the 90's they sold 122 million! I do recall it was a lot of exposure around then. You had to get into the Beatles 8) . I wasn't obsessed with all the extra takes and bits of dialogue they included on the Anthologies and BBC set, etc. Maybe they want to go that far again and figure it's too soon for now. Despite the story above who knows when it could happen... a pretty formidable undertaking.... Imagine the pressure doing the remastering and assuming that it would have to stand for decades, beyond your lifetime, theoretically for all time!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

migdd wrote:The Beatles.

Each original LP as a double disc. One disc being the UK version, the other would be the US release. Perhaps a third disc in each set with outtakes.
But the early US releases are not US equivalents of the UK albums, they're different releases. So I'd release those only in an exclusive US boxset to keep them from being confused with the others. And I'd offer the albums (UK) by themselves as well as available with all the associated extras.

I'd love to hear the mono Sgt. Peppers (as Lennon said it was meant to be heard) and compare it to the stereo version I've got.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

"The Great Lost Kinks Album"- the Kinks--came out briefly in the late 90's I think but disappeared on Velvel- would love to see it get a real re release.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Re:

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:the Standells.
Gary Lane from The Standells was a barber for a number of years and used to cut my hair when I was a kid. Worked at a barber shop in La Cañada, CA near my dad's house.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick