Elvis plays private show, NY , Sat. Oct.21 '06

Post by johnfoyle »

http://lordzim.blogspot.com/2006/10/thi ... -life.html

Name:Lord Zim

Blogs -

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

( extract)

Madame Tussaud's House of Rock

I was lucky again last Saturday, when I attended a superrich person's Upper East Side birthday party. My old pal's sister married into a third-generation real estate fortune, affording my friend a speculum into the lap of luxury. (He's the opposite of upscale: "We have rent-control in our blood," he e-mailed me last week.) The food and drinks were just right, but the older, well-dressed crowd wasn't very engaging, and I wasn't crazy about the Art Nouveau Sotheby's décor. So why was I there? Tray-passed lobster apps? Bottomless flutes of bubbly? Strained conversation with strivers? No. I was there because Elvis Costello performed a two-hour set in the living room.

Playing a variety of guitars over a breathtaking sound system, he noisily yet carefully knocked out 25 songs from his rock years for the amusement of 150 docile guests. Predictably, the thirty- and fortysomethings were his loudest fans, while most of those outside the target demo tuned out and looked politely bored after the initial novelty had worn off. This seemed to me both funny and depressing.

Nothing seemed to depress Elvis. He bantered just enough, served up two requests, and mugged with the same wry, bemused look he trains on everything that appears to compromise his legendary integrity. He even amended the name in "Alison" to the birthday girl's own. Afterward, he posed for snapshots with the hosts and then vanished.

How do you get Elvis to play at your house? By paying him a lot of money. Anyone can well afford to look wry and bemused when making $1,000.00 a minute. (This preposterous figure is merely my estimate, and it doesn't reflect anything anyone told me -- except one guest, a former music biz guy who'd heard such gigs can fetch $200K.)

The deal forbade photos and recordings of any kind, but dozens of phones captured fuzzy images of the formerly angry young man.

It's hard to process an event like this. On the one hand, it's undeniably exciting to stand ten feet from a guy whose first album dominated my ears for several months in 1977, watching and hearing him play songs that used to mean a lot to me. (I was stuck on three of his subsequent records too.) And of course I was happy to have been invited, to have been there for such a weird scene. But if any of Manhattan's energy still derives from the unusual proximity of high and low culture (the way it used to before the rise of the freakish, isolated ultrarich class), that juxtaposition is an awkward place ... like the grinding edge of the San Andreas Fault. Caught between, no place to stand as the ledge shears away, and ever mindful of the hot magma future incinerating loose ends. Nothing evokes youth and its discontents like the music of its long-ago malcontents, and few things cast one's accomplishments into a harsher light than exposure to others' achievements (whether inherited or not).

Oh, boo-hoo. I got to drink champagne and ride my sexy antique bike home through Central Park.
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis plays private show, NY , Sat. Oct.21 '06

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wow!

That's the twins nursery's and the nanny paid for then!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The blogger has now posted the setlist. (I assume "White Lies" is actually "New Lace Sleeves.")
I didn't want to clutter up the post with evidence of my trainspotting, but this is a good place to list the songs:

Accidents Will Happen
Red Shoes
Down in the Blue Chair
I Hear a Melody (1975, unrecorded)
Blue Minute (unrecorded)
Veronica
White Lies
I Don't Wanna Go to Chelsea
Green Shirt
New Amsterdam - You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Take It or Leave It (Rolling Stones cover)
Watching the Detectives
Almost Blue
Less than Zero
Indoor Fireworks
Radio Sweetheart
God's Comic
(What's so Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding?
Oliver's Army
Mystery Dance
Monkey to a Man
Pump it Up
Alison - encore 1
Every Day I Write - encore 2

OK, that's 24, but I was counting the New Amsterdam - You've Got to Hide Your Love Away medley as two, which is a debatable point.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I find this all rather depressing.
I hope they all rattled their jewellery.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Re: Elvis plays private show, NY , Sat. Oct.21 '06

Post by scielle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Wow!

That's the twins nursery's and the nanny paid for then!
Either that or he's still paying off those two divorces.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous already with all the VIP-only performances and ritzy public appearances.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

I was hoping to see 'Party Party' on the set list
Where's North from 'ere?
verbal gymnastics

BlueChair wrote:Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous already with all the VIP-only performances and ritzy public appearances.
I was going to ask him to play at your wedding Blue but I won't bother now :lol:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I will make an exception for that.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mike Boom wrote:I find this all rather depressing.
I hope they all rattled their jewellery.
BlueChair wrote:Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous already with all the VIP-only performances and ritzy public appearances.
I say good on him if he can be paid handsomely to do private shows; he can do what he likes with his time. I think it's kind of cool that he doesn't have to be accessible to the general public every time he gets paid to play to an audience.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

If there's anything that you want

If there's anything that you need

There's no need to be evasive

Money talks and it's persuasive
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

He wouldn't have to act all democratic either, could be as willful and unreasonable as he wanted. "Want me to play Alison for the third time for your birthday? That'll be ten grand extra".
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

He wouldn't have to act all democratic either, could be as willful and unreasonable as he wanted. "Want me to play Alison for the third time for your birthday? That'll be ten grand extra".
..or he could bow down and change the lyric of the song to that of the Party Girl ?
echos myron like a siren
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Yeah, whatever… So E.C., on certain occasions, is a temp for hire - a jester, a player for the court. I think it's just part of business. Elton John just performed at Oracle's OpenWorld conference. Private concert gigs happen all the time (at least in Silicon Valley!)

I guess we have to accept the fact that the wealthiest (top 5-10%) of world's population can do whatever they want with their money. They know people, they hire people, and they party. Not a bad lifestyle. Meanwhile, the starving citizens of the world become bitter and end up leaching and seeding through torrent files. NICE.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I guess I just never thought I'd see the day that EC's career moves were following Elton Johns so closley.

Whats next, soundtracks for Disney?
echos myron like a siren
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mike Boom wrote:..or he could bow down and change the lyric of the song to that of the Party Girl ?
He's happy and she's happy. Why should that bother anyone not even there?
funstan

Post by funstan »

Elvis deserves to get paid as well, look at all the other artists who have 1% of the talent and songwriting ability as E.C. and see where he lies on the wealth chart. N'Sync, Poison, Colin Farrell, David Beckham, Britney Spears, and any shortstop who hits .215 or above are celebrities who make way more than EC. So if he supplements his income by playing a private party for some spoiled rich chick so be it, good for him.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Mike Boom wrote:
..or he could bow down and change the lyric of the song to that of the Party Girl ?

He's happy and she's happy. Why should that bother anyone not even there?
Isnt it obvious?
..because it reeks of sucking up to/ off the upper class rich bastards of the world.

Simple really.
echos myron like a siren
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Some upper class rich 'bastards' might actually be decent people. Maybe.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

No no no no no , all rich people are bastards. Its a well known fact.
echos myron like a siren
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

God I hope to be a bastard someday.
verbal gymnastics

pophead2k wrote:Some upper class rich 'bastards' might actually be decent people.
Thank you for sticking up for me pophead :)
pophead2k wrote:Maybe.
Well, it still counts in my book. :lol: