Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Going Driftless: An Artist's Tribute to Greg Brown

A compilation of the excellent singer/songwriter's songs done by female artists. Some I had heard of before and some I haven't. Artist include Lucinda Williams, Ani Defranco, Iris Dement, Gillian Welch, Victoria Williams, and more. I was hopping this purchase wouuld be worth it's price and I was not disappointed. Great songs sung by great artists.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

WSS:

If you play your cards right, you might just gain the coveted trophy for Wanker of the Year, offered annually through the benevolence of So Lacklustre, a screen name far too grandiose a descriptor for one who actually derives enjoyment from inflicting pain on others. What a sorry little man he is.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

"The Lemonheads" on its way to my home as we speak.

Not much respect for Dando on this board from my hazy recollection.

I wish you'd give him a chance. He's a hell of a songwriter.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

BlueChair wrote:Yeah, that was inappropriate so lack.. even if it was a joke.
How could that be construed as a joke? No trace of wit or a tongue-in-cheek, just boorish and casually offensive - particularly so as it was directed at one of the board's most consistently inclusive, interesting and intelligent contributors.

Very sad and completely uncalled for.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Tony Williams Lifetime "The Columbia Masterworks Collection". I mentioned that I purchased this about a week ago, but it a good illustration of how Miles' signature is indelibly written on so many, and how it affect their music...down to the specific intonation of instruments that emulate a Miles trumpet sound...but aren't trumpets...instead, electric instruments played in a jazz/rock/funk fusion environment. Good stuff.

And staying along the ling of drummers who hail from great inspirers (not sure if that is a word): Chad Wackerman. Just purchased two Wackerman CD's (thinking it was Chad "WANKER"man, and that I might be related): "Forty Reasons" and "The View". A superficial listen will not reveal that this is much deeper than most of the jazz/rock/ fusion schlock out there. But with repeated listening, you can hear the influence of the late great Frank Zappa, for whom Chad played for several years. And if you played drums for his highness FZ, you ain't no slouch, and these recordings demonstrate what a drummer can do to lead a song without stepping all over it. Reminds me of a little heavier handed Steve Gadd, but that ain't bad, cause sometimes Steve is just too damn cool...to damn laid back. I wouldn't go and spend a lot of money on these two wackerman CD's, but if I found 'em used or in a bargain bin, I would buy 'em again for my friends.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

lostdog wrote:
How could that be construed as a joke? No trace of wit or a tongue-in-cheek, just boorish and casually offensive - particularly so as it was directed at one of the board's most consistently inclusive, interesting and intelligent contributors.

A misunderstanding. SLL and I have buried the hatchet...

...in each other's heads Image (just kidding).

Carry on. There's nothing to see here.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Took delivery of the final two volumes of Andy Partridge's Fuzzy Warbles, along with a lovely "stamp collectors box", bonus disc and assorted other little goodies. What a beautiful package - makes you really long for the days of vinyl, when care was paid to packaging and presentation. Luckily, the quality of the music here is equal to the presentation.

A bit more on the project, from Billboard:

XTC's Partridge Combs Archives For Mammoth Box
August 28, 2006, 3:45 PM ET
Greg Prato, N.Y.

XTC leader Andy Partridge recently combed his vaults and discovered an exorbitant amount of rarities and outtakes, resulting in the Oct. 10th release of the nine-disc box "The Fuzzy Warbles Collectors Album." Spanning Partridge's career, the set features alternate versions of many XTC favorites, unreleased tracks and also unfinished material that Partridge revisited and completed for this release.

"Working on this stuff took many years," Partridge tells Billboard.com of the box, due via his own Ape House label. "I just kept writing -- who knows what's going to fall out? It was recorded in spare bedrooms, the kitchen, the attic and of course my now infamous garden shed. Pop songs, radio jingles, film and TV music, or just plain old goofing about."

Partridge rediscovered many forgotten tracks in the process. "'I Don't Want To Be Here' for one," he says. "Lots of folks love this song but XTC was pretty democratic, so if someone didn't go for a tune, it got binned. 'Everything' was another. One of the most touching lyrics I ever wrote -- in the toilet. 'The Bland Leading the Bland' -- so proud of this autobiographical rallying call to end that boring donut mentality. You can kind of see why I just didn't want these songs collecting dust and going unheard. We threw away better material than most bands made a career out of."

Among his other favorites: "Wonder Annual" ("I always thought XTC should have recorded this surprisingly structured psychedelic slice"), "End of the Pier" ("It would have made a great out-of-season seaside companion piece to 'Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her'") and "2 Rainbeau Melt" ("Some of my favorite-ever lyrics matched to a trippy improvised soundscape. It arrived too late for the 'Wasp Star' album").

Partridge also helped assemble the packaging, which he modeled after a child's stamp album. "How better to represent a large and diverse set of home recordings than to depict them as a series of imaginary stamps?," he says.

The artist has a number of other projects in the works, the first of which will be "a double-disc set of purely improvised music called 'Monstrance.' My partners in one-take, overdub-free, unrehearsed crime are Barry Andrews -- ex-XTC keys man from way back -- and [drummer] Martyn Barker. Let's face it, nothing short of capital punishment is going to stop me making music."

PS - Listening to it now, and this really is fucking brilliant stuff. It sounds like a load of throwaways I know, but on Vol. 7 alone, there are 6 or 7 outstanding songs, including early demos of tunes such as "Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her" (whatta song, and I may like the demo even more than the version from The Big Express).
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
lostdog wrote:

A misunderstanding. SLL and I have buried the hatchet...
I was sure that was all it was when I read it. They've only ever had a mutual love fest when we've all met up. Or it may have been because WSS took the last won ton when we went out for a Chinese meal and SoLack's never forgotten it.

You need to be in SoLack's presence to know how much he loves everybody on the Board. He just has trouble expressing it.

I've just read that Billy Bragg Volume 2 box set is coming out in October and he does a cover version of The Jam's That's Entertainment.

I received some vouchers for my birthday and will use them to buy Bob Dylan Modern Times and The Pipettes' eponymous album. However I realise that technically I have not purchased these so should not be on this thread!

Apologies!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I've just read that Billy Bragg Volume 2 box set is coming out in October and he does a cover version of The Jam's That's Entertainment.
Indeed, early October release here on YepRoc. I got my order in - much cheaper going through YepRoc than via Amazon - almost $20 difference in price. Two of the albums in there, Don't Try This At Home and Worker's Playtime, are among my very favorite all time records - and the missus likes 'em too (lots of good memories of driving around in our pre-kid days listening to these albums), so she will have no complaints when the box set arrives on our doorstep.

..and as I recall it was in fact you verbal who swiped the last won ton! :wink: :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I've just read that Billy Bragg Volume 2 box set is coming out in October and he does a cover version of The Jam's That's Entertainment.
Indeed, early October release here on YepRoc. I got my order in - much cheaper going through YepRoc than via Amazon - almost $20 difference in price. Two of the albums in there, Don't Try This At Home and Worker's Playtime, are among my very favorite all time records - and the missus likes 'em too (lots of good memories of driving around in our pre-kid days listening to these albums), so she will have no complaints when the box set arrives on our doorstep.

..and as I recall it was in fact you verbal who swiped the last won ton! :wink: :wink:
:lol:

I also see that you get an exclusive live show CD by buying the box set through YepRoc. 8)

My "dilemma" is that I can probably get a free box set from my friend who knows Billy or I can pay and get the box set through YepRoc and get the free CD. It's a nice dilemma to have!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I was just listening to my Ipod and "Cindy of 1000 Lives" came on. I had forgotten what an absolute stunner that song is. In style is quite unlike anything else of Braggs that I am aware of , not sure if Johnny Marr is on it or not, but it has a sort of Smithsy vibe to it and the lyrics are great. Was wondering what it was all about and found its about Cindy Sherman the photographer, who's photos would all make great Smiths album covers too.

Blue velvet America
Half glimpsed in the headlights between the trees
Who punctured the beauty
And invited monsters such as these
The pig faced boy, the corrupted clown
The grotesque figure who never comes into town

Something broken, something stained
Something waiting for the worms to claim
And you can never go there again
Except in nightmares
The voyeur who dares not come near
Knows excitement is merely the beginning of fear

My shadow came this morning
And left some candy in my shoe
They're always watching me
Watching the things I do
Cindy of a thousand lives
Cindy of the Stepford Wives

I've looked at all the photographs
But Cindy, which one of them is you?

echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

That's strange. I was listening to that album in the car on my way to the city a few weeks ago with the missus and it finally dawned on me that he was singing about Cindy Sherman. Agree - it is a great song and one of the best things he's done.
verbal gymnastics

And talking of The Smiths, I've just bought The Queen Is Dead in Woolworths for £3.97!

I realised after seeing Morrissey that I don't have any Smiths albums on CD because I've never gotten round to replacing my vinyl and I hoped there would have been a definitive CD box set by now.

I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with my new purchase.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Following the tip from WSS (Cheers muchly!) I pre-ordered the Pernice Brothers' new record and it arrived today, along with the handmade, autographed bonus disc. A lovely little item. The album's sounding good too.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bad Ambassador wrote:Following the tip from WSS (Cheers muchly!) I pre-ordered the Pernice Brothers' new record and it arrived today, along with the handmade, autographed bonus disc. A lovely little item. The album's sounding good too.
You already got yours!?! Ashmont sent them out here on Friday, so I should have it early next week.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Yup. They're sending them out from the various online stores. Mine's from One Little Indian in the UK so it was nice and quick.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Bought Lloyd Cole's new album in Sheffield yesterday. Will be interested to hear Otis's views.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Love it. That's almost a mandatory response for me (unless we're talking Bad Vibes), but I really think it's great. I love the opener, The Young Idealists, and Howw Wrong Can You Be? and a couple of others. Classic Lloyd wit in the lyrics, with amusing stuff about trading futures and having stickers on the bumper of your 'people mover'. The whole CD seems to flow really well, and have a nice sense of polish about it, yet at the same time retain that low-key, intimate thing he's mined through much of the solo career. I was raving about it in another thread, I think. A couple of the songs start out very similar to other ones of his, e.g. Woman In A Bar sounds just like, um, damn, can't remember now, then it changes into something new and different, similarly with another that starts out like She's A Girl And I'm A Man. Like the involvement of the Negatives (though it seems to be saying LC plays and programmes the drums - odd as some of the drumming is very Negatives). There are some very strong songs, and a nice mix of the slower ones and mid-tempo toe-tappers. Lots of refs to current cultural life, being in the USA, etc. Really what a mature phase Cole LP should be all about. Mojo dismissed it with 'he used to be at the forefront, now he's carrying on regardless' or words to that effect, and apparently Q (yaaawwwwn) were sniffy,but Andrew Collins in The Word was suitably impressed, and praised the vocals in particular, which are typically excellent. From first play I knew I was going to find a lot to thrill me in it. Maybe doesn't have anything that's going to stick with me quite as much as My Other Life from MIFL, but overall it's a stronger LP for sure, and I'm still only just getting into it all. The last was a bit patchy and trailed off towards the end. The cliche is probably true: fans will adore it, but it won't make new ones (this in fact is the only comment posted thus far on Amazon UK!).

Talking of Amazon, type in 'Cole' + 'Antidepressant' in a general way, i.e. not within music, and you get:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antidepressant- ... 24?ie=UTF8

Funny coincidence.

So, not in the same league as Love Story or Rattlesnakes, but still a highly commendable 4 out of 5 type thing that no house should be without. Whaddya reckon?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

clairequilty wrote:"The Lemonheads" on its way to my home as we speak.

Not much respect for Dando on this board from my hazy recollection.

I wish you'd give him a chance. He's a hell of a songwriter.
I'm a big fan! I'm really interested to hear the new one as his backing band is basically The Descendents/All, two of my all time favorite bands. The last time I saw Evan Dando he was shuffling down the street in New Orleans looking horribly unkempt at 8:30 a.m. He was clearly coming in, not going out. I'm glad that maybe he's got his shit together enough to at least do some writing and recording.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

The Pretenders first album (produced by Nick Lowe!) was just released in a remastered 2-disc edition. I can't believe I missed this. I love this album so much!

DISC 1:
1. Precious
2. Phone Call, The
3. Up The Neck
4. Tattooed Love Boys
5. Space Invader
6. Wait, The
7. Stop Your Sobbing
8. Kid
9. Private Life
10. Brass In Pocket
11. Lovers Of Today
12. Mystery Achievement

DISC 2:
1. Cuban Slide
2. Porcelain
3. Wait, The - (Demo)
4. I Can't Control Myself - (Demo)
5. Nervous But Shy
6. Swinging London
7. Brass In Pocket - (Demo)
8. Kid - (Demo)
9. Stop Your Sobbing - (Demo)
10. Tequila - (Demo)
11. I Need Somebody - (live)
12. Mystery Achievement - (live)
13. Precious - (live)
14. Phone Call, The - (live)
15. Tattooed Love Boys - (live)
16. Sabre Dance - (live)

Can't wait to get this. Just ordered :)
The second album is also available remastered & expanded. But I actually never listened to it strangely.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I did not know of this remastered 2 disc set. It is a must have. This is a debut that remains a standard of its time.

Because it was released on vinyl initially (of course), Side one was a virtual "how to" re: creating a new wave/punk sound for the generation that embraced it. A perfect mix of lyrical styling, spite, vitriole, instrumental (Space Invaders), and rock and roll characterized the first side of the original lp's worth of tunes.

Amazingly still fresh today. I can't wait to hear the second disc.

Thanks for pointing it out.
Otis Westinghouse

At last got Sufjan Stevens' Michigan at Fopp for £7. Very wonderful, as expected. Have heard several of the songs live (I have a good 2004 bootleg). Several instantly memorable songs on it.

Fopp have a series of 'Trilogy' CD packages out. 3 CDs by legends for an absurd £6. I wanted Van's Astral Weeks / Moondance [ both of which I have on both vinyl and tape!] and his Band And The Street Choir, which I'venever heard, so what a great prospect, but they didn't have them. Newly revamped website lists some of the others:

http://www.fopp.co.uk/advanced_search_r ... &Submit=Go

Aretha sounds good, and Miles (Doo-Bop good, Mr A?), but no Van here either. Patience!

Fopp delivery a flat £1.50. Free over £25. Worth checking out if you aren't lucky enough to live near one of them, though success has brought expansion, so if you're over here, yoou probably will before long. it's a terrifying shop in terms of pure temptation.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I am sorry, but I do not know Doo-Bop at all. Can't comment.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Love it. That's almost a mandatory response for me (unless we're talking Bad Vibes), but I really think it's great. I love the opener, The Young Idealists, and Howw Wrong Can You Be? and a couple of others. Classic Lloyd wit in the lyrics, with amusing stuff about trading futures and having stickers on the bumper of your 'people mover'. The whole CD seems to flow really well, and have a nice sense of polish about it, yet at the same time retain that low-key, intimate thing he's mined through much of the solo career. I was raving about it in another thread, I think. A couple of the songs start out very similar to other ones of his, e.g. Woman In A Bar sounds just like, um, damn, can't remember now, then it changes into something new and different, similarly with another that starts out like She's A Girl And I'm A Man. Like the involvement of the Negatives (though it seems to be saying LC plays and programmes the drums - odd as some of the drumming is very Negatives). There are some very strong songs, and a nice mix of the slower ones and mid-tempo toe-tappers. Lots of refs to current cultural life, being in the USA, etc. Really what a mature phase Cole LP should be all about. Mojo dismissed it with 'he used to be at the forefront, now he's carrying on regardless' or words to that effect, and apparently Q (yaaawwwwn) were sniffy,but Andrew Collins in The Word was suitably impressed, and praised the vocals in particular, which are typically excellent. From first play I knew I was going to find a lot to thrill me in it. Maybe doesn't have anything that's going to stick with me quite as much as My Other Life from MIFL, but overall it's a stronger LP for sure, and I'm still only just getting into it all. The last was a bit patchy and trailed off towards the end. The cliche is probably true: fans will adore it, but it won't make new ones (this in fact is the only comment posted thus far on Amazon UK!).

Talking of Amazon, type in 'Cole' + 'Antidepressant' in a general way, i.e. not within music, and you get:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antidepressant- ... 24?ie=UTF8

Funny coincidence.

So, not in the same league as Love Story or Rattlesnakes, but still a highly commendable 4 out of 6 type thing that no house should be without. Whaddya reckon?
I reckon pretty much the same as you. A very self-retro album with many of the tunes sounding like out-takes from earlier albums. 'I didn't see it coming' is very Mainstream - even down to the voice! The croaky bit is back. The title track is a bit dull, as is Travelling Light, but four of the first six tracks are right up there. It tails off a bit, but I love the opener and the superb 'How Wrong can you be?"

Better than MIFL, but it could have been better.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Glad you're liking it. It's worth getting Word for the interview. Lloyd in grumpster mode, talking about Moz, 80s finances, 90s finances, 14 year old son's hair length (with which I can identify hugely!).

Mr A not knowing a Miles LP? Unheard of. Actually his last sstudio project. Clearly not a classic, but one you must acquire!

http://www.amazon.com/Doo-Bop-Miles-Dav ... F8&s=music