Project Runway

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
newlacesleeves

Project Runway

Post by newlacesleeves »

Anyone here as obsessed with this show as I am?
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Me!! Meee!!!!! I've been an addict since the first season. Although I missed last night, so no spoilers, please!

My fave thing on TV, hands down.

Do you listen to Tim Gunn's podcast? Hilarious.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

What is it? Some fashion thing?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
newlacesleeves

Post by newlacesleeves »

Heidi Klum hosts a reality series where aspiring fashion designers compete for a chance to break into the industry. Each week, a designer is eliminated from the competition after exhibiting their work in front of a judges' panel. Project Runway is hosted by supermodel Heidi Klum, and judged by a panel that usually includes American designer Michael Kors and ELLE magazine fashion director Nina Garcia and a third judge - typically a fashion designer, model or celebrity from the fashion industry. However, the show's ending credits state that the judges act partly on producer input. Tim Gunn, Fashion Chair at Parsons The New School for Design, acts as the mentor to the designers. Project Runway takes place in New York City with designers using a workroom at Parsons, shopping for materials at a large fabric store in New York's Garment District (many times it is Mood Designer Fabrics on W. 37th Street), and living together in a nearby apartment building.
Models who work with the designers throughout the season are also in competition. Each week as the number of designers dwindle, the number of models also is reduced, with one model remaining at the end. Included in the prize package for the winning model is coverage in the American edition of ELLE magazine.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sounds like the kind of thing that would appeal to my wife. My new guilty pleasure is the Aussie series "Kath & Kim" on Sundance - lots of laugh-out-loud moments.

It makes liberal use of my new favorite word - "hornbag".
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I watched the first four episodes of Season 2 on DVD this morning...I figure the "Play All" option is there for a reason, and besides, it was too hot to do anything else.

So, yeah, I'm a huge fan. But really, Mug, get on the ball! We won't keep mum forever!
newlacesleeves

Post by newlacesleeves »

This season is way more interesting than last season... I think they're all far more technically proficient, although last night there were a couple of really horrible outfits... As I don't want to be a spoiler, I can't really expound...
Mechanical Grace

Well, I still haven't seen the episode, but I listened to the podcast in advance, which was fun. Drama! My goodness. That Keith looked like a dick from the start. Now if they can get rid of Vincent...
newlacesleeves

Post by newlacesleeves »

I thought that Keith was the best one, of course now it seems as though he had an unfair advantage... Yeah, I agree about that crazy guy... That blonde is incredibly adorable though, she alone is worth sticking around for...
Mechanical Grace

Thank GOD Vincent is finally gone. Oh my lord what a self-delusioned asshole.

I like all 5 of the remaining designers in one way or another, so I can't lose. Though Kayne is sure to go next, or Laura. I hope Michael is the final winner.

If you haven't heard it already, you simply *must* listen to Tim Gunn's podcast. Serious dish, and so articulate! He hated Vincent from the start, as did I.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

In what way do you like Jeffrey? He may occasioanlly turn out a winning design, but I think he's the biggest asshole they've ever had on the show. I want Michael to win. too. Kayne is not long for this world.

My prediction for the final three: Michael, Jeffrey and Laura.
newlacesleeves

Post by newlacesleeves »

Jeffrey is definitely the biggest asshole they've ever had on the show, and all his designs have been complete shit. He's a bad Vivienne Westwood rip-off, and he's hard to look at with his non-chin, and tree trunk tatooed neck. He's a mean spirited little shit and I hope he gets his ass thrown off.

I'm glad Vincent bought it, he was a delusional little twerp.. I don't think any of them are interesting or compelling or particularly good.. That guy Keith seemed to be the best one, and they threw him off staraight away.. Alison also was a good designer and gorgeous.. I heard that she got thrown off, because Heidi felt that she didn't want to compete with her as the 'good looking' part of the show.. Even Malan would have been entertaining.. Out of the bunch, Michael would be the obvious choice to win.. Kanye has a horribly cheesy aesthetic, the cruella deville is boring as is Uli and Jeffrey is just a bitch..

Final 3 - Jeffrey, Michael and Uli... Michael wins.
Mechanical Grace

miss buenos aires wrote:In what way do you like Jeffrey? He may occasioanlly turn out a winning design, but I think he's the biggest asshole they've ever had on the show.
Oh, he's a mean little prick, and, like so many of the male designers, a nasty fucking misogynist, but I don't think he's the VERY worst (that's not saying much, is it!). The only way in which I like him is that a.) I generally find his designs interesting and b.) I do give him props for going from being a junkie to doing high-level fashion design (Lord knows it's not so uncommon for people to do it the other way 'round!). But I won't fight you on his major-asshole status.
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

With all of Jeffrey's achievements overcoming his problems, you'd think a little humility and compassion would have slipped in there along the way. Santino was a teddy bear compared to him. Zulima would have cowered before him! I'd rather he didn't go all the way but it sure looks like he's guaranteed the final three...

I am completely HOOKED on this show. I've already bought the DVDs of the first 2 seasons and watch them constantly. I listen to Tim Gunn's podcasts, they are GOLD.

Oh, and I want to marry Daniel Vosovic, in a state where such things are allowed. ;)
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
Mechanical Grace

Masterpiece? wrote:With all of Jeffrey's achievements overcoming his problems, you'd think a little humility and compassion would have slipped in there along the way.
Okay, you're right. And he was such a bastard to Angela's mom. That was awful. It's just that I hated Vincent soooo much-- "I'm the team leader! I'm the team leader!"-- I almost prefer the meanies over that whining self-fellating ass.

It's typical that Laura gets cast as the Ice Princess or Cruella DeVille. After all, she's older (eeew!) without being dowdy (crime!) and she stands up to the mean boys (feminazi!) or brushes them off (boring!). I think she's about the most easy-going of the bunch. I don't think or hope she'll win, cause design-wise she's a bit of a one noter, but more power to her. It kills me that any female on the show who's not demure and mousy gets labeled as a bitch. There's a disappointing but certain percentage of gay men who reeeeally hate women, and PR seems to get more than its share. It's telling that while many of the men are openly out on the show, Zulema, who is a lesbian and also very much out (married!) had that aspect of her character edited out of the show. I wasn't a big fan of her either, but I find that much more offensive than the possibility that Alison, much as I liked her and was pissed to see her go, was auf'd by Heidi (which rumor I can't imagine is more than disappointment from a few one-handed admirers).

Best source of gossip in years, anyway!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

We had a series in the UK very similar to this called 'The Cut'. Each week Tommy Hilfiger gave them a design project to come up with and judged the end result and the worst designer was eliminated. I was totally hooked - but then I love this type of programme. My partner thinks im brain dead.... :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
alexv

Post by alexv »

My 13 year old daughter looooves this show and, dammit, I'm hooked. I despise Jeffrey. His dismissiveness of Angela's poor mom was inexcusable. My favorite shows/scenes have been (1) that early episode where poor Malan (love that name) got shot down for that awful dress, and all this after his sad confession that he was hoping this show would finally show his mom how talented he really was. I loved his suits, turtlenecks, haircut and accent. Seemed like a cross between a gay Hugh Heffner and Kenneth Tynan; (2) the show where Vincent and Angela were working as a team and Angela did shit (I hated her big time, and loved the fact that they flew her to Paris just to cut her. Nice); (3) the aforementioned show where they designed for the moms, where not even the fact that she was Angela's mom could make me forgive tatoo boy's condescension (overweight moms and sisters all over America must have loved this show); (4) the scene in Paris where Kayne gets dissed by some tacky European woman who I guess knows about fashion, and she tells him that "this is not a jet setter you are representing etc.", making it seem to me that this tacky lady thought that "jet setters" are cool. Who the hell uses the term jet setter anyway?; (5) and of course all the scenes involving tim, whose delightful accent and chewing of the scenery ("designers") crack me up. Oh, and Michael Kors' bitchy put down/assessments which always bring to mind an old college friend of mine who called everyone Martha. Of course, the real reason I watch this crap, and my secret shame is Ms. Klum who, even when preggo, seemed like the most delicious woman on the planet. Heidi: AlexV, either you are in or you are aut; Me: Heidi, you seal-lovin temptress, vy do you torture me this vay. Auf Wiedersehen