Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Chelsea are finished.
I didn't even realise they'd started :?
Who Shot Sam? wrote:I consulted my Magic 8-ball: "Will Chelsea win the league?"

Answer: "Without a doubt"

It's settled! :D :D
What - the Magic 8-ball? Try it again!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:What - the Magic 8-ball? Try it again!
It take it the Magic 8-ball is one toy that never made it across the Atlantic. See here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001 ... 85-1124832

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

I know what a Magic-8 ball is. I just wanted to know if it had settled. The answer might be different if you ask it again (although I doubt it somehow!).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Strange - it answered "verbal's a wanker". I must have bought the deluxe UK version. :wink: :wink: :wink:
verbal gymnastics

You'll probably find it says that on all editions worldwide!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:You'll probably find it says that on all editions worldwide!
:lol: :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

My son's is sponsored by AIG and says 'Chelsea are shite' whichever way you throw it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Never NEVER throw a Magic 8 Ball. It enrages the 8 and puts bubbles into the blue liquid, making the answers unreadable.
verbal gymnastics

It's England's first match under the new boss tonight.

I am pleased David Beckham is not included. I was wondering if Steve Maclaren had wanted to omit Beckham in the past and had not exactly received support from Sven.

This led me to think that Beckham knew he was on his way out after the World Cup - certainly as far as the captaincy was concerned. I genuinely believe Beckham was surprised to have been omitted from the squad though.

I'm looking forward to seeing how we play tonight. I remember writing that Maclaren as manager would only give us more of the same as under Sven. I'm pleased to admit to being wrong.
charliestumpy

Footie

Post by charliestumpy »

I shall be genuinely happy as active Chels fan since 1964 if someone else with no financial input wins Barclays thing as 2 on the trots is enough for Russian money - I would like FA Cup (7 years since...) or Chump League (never - probably never ever ...).

It was important for Chels to win Comm/Charity thang only in 1955, or when they beat MUT at Wembley in 2000 and Arse in Caerdydd last year.

Chels fans, and Mourinho know Chels are currently crap.

Terry was a bit rubbishy crucially last Sunday, and hopefully he will get it back tonight, or give Eng captaincy to often fine Gerrard.

Beckham (overdue to retire anyway) can return when he plays well/can run around etc effectively again.

I cannot imagine ever that the often very good Rooney will be mature enough as Beckham was to captain.

I remember Spurs at last stuffing Chels in League Cup 2nd leg semi then messing up final.

IMO Liver look most likely of recent greedy 4 to do well.

Soon I shall recover from recent shite WC where I thought Bra Ron or Fra or Germs might surprisingly succeed. As half Italian I thought that their 'win' was the direst ever.

I prefer teams with players/managers who believe in the teams rather than mercenarily in the dosh.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Bruce gets back to work tonight and the mouth is in gear and running on high test.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=c ... &type=lgns

It's a good time to be a RBNY fan. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Good stuff moody. Tell ya what - if you and the Austinator can make it up here when (if?) the new stadium opens, lunch and drinks are on me (a Coke for the Austinator, of course).
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

You'll regret that kind offer when you see how much he can eat! We do have nebulous plans to be there in 2008.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:You'll regret that kind offer when you see how much he can eat! We do have nebulous plans to be there in 2008.
I'm used to it. I took my daughter to a Yankees game last year and she put away two jumbo dogs before the first pitch was thrown!
Otis Westinghouse

Hargreaves for Old Trafford! Wouldn't have said that pre-germany, but he was a surprise star player there. Very solid. We'll have him, please.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hardly a star, but he looked better than a lot of the other England players.
Otis Westinghouse

And apparently was good again tonight. All hail Maclaren! The dawning of a new golden era for England...

Was it Eng v Portugal or the previous game where Hargreaves shone? Either way, he looked more than handy.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:And apparently was good again tonight. All hail Maclaren! The dawning of a new golden era for England...
Easy Otis. It was a friendly - at home. Against Greece. Still, McClaren's had a few tough decisions to make so far and has done the right thing in each case, IMO.
Otis Westinghouse

I was being a bit ironic. A good start, though.
verbal gymnastics

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Hargreaves for Old Trafford! Wouldn't have said that pre-germany, but he was a surprise star player there. Very solid. We'll have him, please.
I agree in that I did not think he merited a place in the England team and could not see what Sven saw in him. Hargreaves' play in the last few matches has shown me that Eriksson didn't know where to play him and once he played in his proper position he showed what he could do. I am pleased he is being recognised for the player he is. Once again I am pleased to be wrong.
Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:And apparently was good again tonight. All hail Maclaren! The dawning of a new golden era for England...
Easy Otis. It was a friendly - at home. Against Greece. Still, McClaren's had a few tough decisions to make so far and has done the right thing in each case, IMO.
England played pretty well and it was a fantastic result. Performance wise whilst we looked good in the first half, Greece were very poor and there were no "good" goals although optimistically we played some good football and didn't score on occasions.

I think the second half was due to a) England already had won the game, b) Greece came at us and we showed some of our old habits or c) a combination of both.

There looks to be a new freshness about England - I thought Defoe proved his point, Lennon was excellent when he came on, Hargreaves excels in his new role, Gerrard just kept on running.

Now that we seem to have more than one plan we could do well.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Not a bad start for MCclaren - I expect hes feeling pretty relieved. I really dont know about him though - we will just have to wait and see. Nice to see old Terry Venables part of the team though - I do rate him.

Horrible feeling watching an England game and not feeling fired up even though its only a friendly. I usually get that 'butterflies in the tummy feeling' for any game, but its just an anti-climax and still just too depressing after the world cup

Nice to see England not relying on long balls although some of the passing needs work on. Hargreaves played well although we missed Beckham in the set pieces, and also corners for his accuracy in placing the ball at the head/foot of our strikers. I know how you lot feel but i'd like to see him get fired up and get back into the squad now and again.

Time for some hard graft now - Roll on the Euros- maybe by then I'll feel better!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
verbal gymnastics

Gillibeanz wrote:Hargreaves played well although we missed Beckham in the set pieces, and also corners for his accuracy in placing the ball at the head/foot of our strikers.
I wish I could agree but I don't think we did miss him. His accuracy is all well and good whilst he has time it but many opposition teams have him worked out. Perhaps the laws could be changed so that a player can come on purely to take dead balls...

We have an abundance of players who can take free kicks. Beckham is an excellent dead ball player and good at crossing a moving ball but his accuracy has waned for England over the years. Quite aside from the "special relationship" he had with Eriksson, Sven would never substitute him because of the hope that if there was a free kick in the last minute or whatever, the most likely player to score or set up a chance would be Beckham. I don't think this is enough to merit a place in the side.
Gillibeanz wrote:I know how you lot feel but i'd like to see him get fired up and get back into the squad now and again.
I think McClaren was telling in his comment that the door for Beckham is closed...I mean open. I don't think Beckham fits in with the type of game McClaren wants to play.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Dear oh dear - ManU thrashing Fulham. I was sent an early edition of tomorrow's paper...

Otis Westinghouse

That, my friend, is truly brilliant! I see you put it in your photobucket, but how the hell did you create it? It's not too far off the truth!

I got over-excited in the FF thread and put all my footie thoughts there, but yes, irrational exuberance (i.e. proof that we will win the league) is pretty spot on. If only the FF scenario were better. Looking forward to today's highlights at 10...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »