First four albums...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
newlacesleeves

First four albums...

Post by newlacesleeves »

In my opinion, Elvis's first 4 albums are the best first 4 by any rock and roll artist... What do you think? Does anyone else have as good a first 4 as

My aim is true
This year's model
Armed Forces
Get happy!

I'm talking about the album as a whole cohesive statement.. We all know that Dylan and the beatles Had some great albums, but we're talking 'first four' here....
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I personally think TYM drag the others down just slightly, though it's still a great album. But if one is to go by your rules, 4 first albums of a rock artist I must say EC wins in my book.

Close though are Roxy Music's and Talking Heads' first four.

However if we were to change the rules to "4 brilliant albums in a row" then then there'd be a alot more challengers imo. But leave that for another thread.
newlacesleeves

Post by newlacesleeves »

Definitely some artists that are in the running.... I agree with you about the talking heads.. They definitely had a great first 4... I still hold with EC though...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'd put the Pixies Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova, and Trompe Le Monde up there with those four. But that's just me.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

radiohead - 1 decent album (pablo) and 3 classics (Bends, OK, Kid A)
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

Zeppelin 1 through 4 aint too shabby either.
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

If it was about the first three I would say the Band would get the prize but I think I like Cahoots less than Armed Forces.

Dexys only did three & the Weakerthans haven't released their fourth yet so they're out too. Richard Thompson & Van Morrison released stuff with bands before their solo (& duo) stuff so I'm not gonna consider them. Leonard Cohen isn't a rock'n'roll artist. Dylan wasn't either on his first four, and I prefer Elvis' anyway, so our man E is still in the lead...almost. My top 5:

1. the Velvet Underground (& Nico, White Light/White Heat, S/T, Loaded)
2. Elvis
3. the Ramones (S/T, Leave Home, Rocket to Russia, It's Alive)
4. the Pixies (see above)
5. Randy Newman (S/T, 12 Songs, Sail Away, Good Old Boys)

If Randy doesn't qualify as rock'n'roll I guess the Band squeezes in at #5.
What this world needs is more silly men.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

pophead2k wrote:I'd put the Pixies Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova, and Trompe Le Monde up there with those four. But that's just me.
I'm right there with you. And I'd also give 1st four props to the Police:

Outlandos D'Amour
Reggatta De Blanc
Zenyatta Mondatta
Ghost in the Machine
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I've long been interested in the 'first four' theory. And to add to the pile:

Murmur
Reckoning
Fables Of The Reconstruction
Life's Rich Pageant

(R.E.M.)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

That's an excellent 1st 4. You can go 1st 5 with REM, even. Document is pretty perfect.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Some good candidates have been posted, but I'm not sure any first four are as strong as Elvis'.. except maybe VU's, but they only had four albums so I'm not sure that's fair :)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

The Smiths
Meat is Murder
The Queen is Dead
Strangeways Here We Come

(- and if you DO count Hatfull of Hollow it still works)

Movement
Power, Corruption And Lies
Low-Life
Brotherhood

CHEAP TRICK
IN COLOR
HEAVEN TONIGHT
(CHEAP TRICK AT BUDOKAN)
DREAM POLICE
(- and if you DO count BUDOKAN it still works)

This Was
Stand Up
Benefit
Aqualung

Greetings from Asbury Park N.J
The Wild The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle
Born to Run
Darkness on the Edge of Town

1971 Every Picture Tells a Story
1970 Gasoline Alley
1969 Rod Stewart Album
1969 An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

BlueChair wrote:Some good candidates have been posted, but I'm not sure any first four are as strong as Elvis'.. except maybe VU's, but they only had four albums so I'm not sure that's fair :)
They released five before disbanding (Squeeze without Lou) and then lots of live albums and two albums of outtakes. Why not fair? They're four strong albums, and they werre the first four they released.

And Lou released a few more that weren't too shabby after that...
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

The Blue Nile - they've only made 4 albums: three of them are perfect, and one (Peace At Last) is an 8/10.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Tindersticks ' first four are just about flawless.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Much as I love New Order, I wouldn't include Movement here. Patchy and low-key, a poor successor the genius of JD, and needing the new direction they were beginning to discover so well with PC&L. I can't list Scritti cos Provision is mostly tedious. I'm with Talking Heads and EC. If you start Bowie with Space Oddity it works very well, but you can't really. Bjork's first four are all fantastic.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:If you start Bowie with Space Oddity it works very well, but you can't really.
Did he release an album before that? I always thought the early stuff was singles and outtakes that weren't released as LP's till later. Guess I was wrong. However I do find large chunks of The Man Who Sold The World very difficult to listen to in their murkiness. That one nixed it for me.
Otis Westinghouse

My brain is in shit-down but I think Decca did release an LP of stuff. I used to know all this by heart. Maybe I'm wrong. MWSTW is one I haven't played in years, but it's got some great stuff on and is a fabulous contrast to SO and then HD after.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:My brain is in shit-down but I think Decca did release an LP of stuff. I used to know all this by heart. Maybe I'm wrong. MWSTW is one I haven't played in years, but it's got some great stuff on and is a fabulous contrast to SO and then HD after.
Contrast, yes, well changed. As for 'great stuff', well...OK, 2 great songs (title track & Width of A Circle). Supermen & All the Madmen are quite enjoyable too but the other 5 (Black Country Rock, Running Gun Blues, etc.) are def. not worthy of this fine prize we're discussing. imho. (makes Hunky Dory more impressive too)
Otis Westinghouse

Good typo! I meant 'shut-down', but actually that was a better description.

http://www.illustrated-db-discography.nl/Album.htm

Deram, not Decca for first LP, so yes, out of contention. I love All The Madmen, agree that some of it is a bit patchy, but as a whole and as a demonstration of versatility of genres, a foretaste of the wonders of the rest of the 70s, it's still impressive stuff. For me this relative position in those 4 more than its individual merits make it a contender, were it not disqualified! I've never been much into a lot of the songs on MAIT, but it makes for a great debut in itself.

Of course Ron's first four are all fabulous, how could we not include them?

Joni? (I don't know all 4 of these: http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/jon ... iscography)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Mike Boom wrote: 1971 Every Picture Tells a Story
1970 Gasoline Alley
1969 Rod Stewart Album
1969 An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down
Aren't those first two the same album? I was under the impression that it was called Raincoat in UK and Rod Stewart Album in US.

In any case, you can probably include 1972's Never A Dull Moment on there as well so it still works.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Joni? (I don't know all 4 of these: http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/jon ... iscography)
Her first three are okay, but I think Blue (her 4th) was the album that kind of boosted her to excellence. I wouldn't want to include her first three for the same reason I wouldn't want to include The Beatles' first three. Good albums, but not groundbreaking by any means.

This is an interesting thing to discuss because there are so many artists that took an album or two to get really good. I mean Neil Young's first solo album had a few good songs but was mostly overproduced. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, on the other hand, is a classic. And Bob Dylan's self-titled debut is good, but if not for Freewheelin' I bet Columbia would have given up on him.
newlacesleeves

Post by newlacesleeves »

a lot of great choices.. I would say Springsteen's 1st 4 would be the closest to rival EC's.. I agree about Dylan's 1st album being a fine little folk album, but not anything astounding.. Dylan became DYLAN with freewheelin'... Was watching the documentary on him the other day, and it seemed like he was just kind of feeling it out for the first album playing folk chameleon... Competent but not transcendent.. However... If we start with Freewheelin'... THEN.. Dylan has the record...

Nashville Skyline - 1969
John Wesley Harding - 1967
Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits - 1967
Blonde on Blonde - 1966
Highway 61 Revisited - 1965
Bringing It All Back Home - 1965
Another Side of Bob Dylan - 1964
The Times They Are A-Changin' - 1964
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - 1963

I would add Steely Dan... I think all their albums were perfect...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Leonard Cohen:

Songs of Leonard Cohen (1968)
Songs From A Room (1969)
Songs of Love and Hate (1971)
New Skin For The Old Ceremony (1974)

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers:

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (1976)
You're Gonna Get It (1978)
Damn The Torpedoes (1979)
Hard Promises (1981)

Wilco:

A.M. (1995)
Being There (1996)
Summerteeth (1999)
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2001)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Eels
Beautiful Freak
Electro-Shock Blues
Daisies of the Galaxy
Souljacker
signed with love and vicious kisses