Universal Music Acquires Early Elvis Costello Catalog/compilations , 2007

Pretty self-explanatory
The Walrus

Post by The Walrus »

I seem to recall a former manager returning a massive collection of tapes--tons of songs recorded early on (like 40 or more?) after a gig--songs that would comprise mostly the first handful of albums or so---anyway, they were discovered a few years back and given to Elvis for his birthday.

Now that would make for a GREAT box set...

Maybe under this next onslaught... It would be a wonderful excuse to release this material :)

Anybody else remember this bit of news?
Last edited by The Walrus on Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
GOO GOO GOO JOOB...

("No you're not" said Little Nicole)
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

I am he as you are he as you are me and...

No, that's not right at all. Sorry, I'm just confused by the onslaught of EC albums.

I guess it remains to be seen what will come of this Universal deal. To be sure there's hundred of hours of live tapes. There's pre-MAIT demos we haven't heard. Outtakes from the albums? There may not be many unreleased songs left but there's bound to be more alternate versions. However, I'm dubious about this. I'm sure something "new" will be released but I'm sure that we will find something to complain about all the same. :wink:

I wonder if Universal really think they can sell this stuff to a "new generation" of fans? Has Elvis promised to give them a really poppy commercial album in 2007? Maybe the deal is that they'll promote his next "pop" album in a major way and cross-promote his "classic" material at the same time? I mean there must be some kind of plan. They didn't just toss Elvis a sackful of dollars out of the goodness and the kindness of their generosity.

I know thee well, a serviceable villain. As duteous to the vices of thy mistress as badness would desire.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Whatever deal was brokered between E.C. and Universal, I hope, for E.C.'s sake, that a clause exists that allows him to connect directly to his fans via the digital domain.

We all know by now that the future of music distribution is not CDs or vinyl, but digital. I just hope E.C. or his agent didn't sell away a catalog where E.C. isn't getting a fair deal. The digital deal should be multi-tiered. Tier 1 - Universal builds the channel and takes a certain cut. Tier 2 -Overtime, that channel is past off to E.C. Tier 3 - E.C. owns the digital channel and the catalog rights are in his sole possession. This allows E.C. to establish a direct one to one $$$ connection.

I'd rather give all my money to E.C. and his family (new kid!!!) than to some smuck at Universal. Wouldn't you?

Can you hear me? No?

You can all go back to discussing about the wonderful new reissues, but I'm stuck on the fact that Universal has control of his digital rights. That is scary.

Is this an indication of how the freedom of distribution via the Internet is slowly becoming a replica of the old school music distribution system? It's a racket, a sham.. and the artist loses. Now is the time, where technology should override this process and shift the model. Let them dangle! (Hey, who said that?)

Viva la "digital" revolution!
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

MOJO wrote:I'd rather give all my money to E.C. and his family (new kid!!!) than to some smuck at Universal. Wouldn't you?
No I'd rather keep it for me and mine, but I see your point.
You can all go back to discussing about the wonderful new reissues, but I'm stuck on the fact that Universal has control of his digital rights. That is scary.
I doubt that he's sold the digital rights, he's probably just leasing them out the same as he does with the physical media.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I think Elvis is too astute to have sold the digital rights.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Taking note of the recent Talking Heads reissue program, a suggestion for Universal - augment the beloved 2*CD versions with a DVD.

This could include the promos, TV spots, and/or a complete Rockpalast / Glastonbury gig (I don't think any of them are commercially available). Also gallery, lyrics, school reports, medical records, etc
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

No. It's all about this:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/#080806uni

Take note of UM building a direct channel to the "consumer"/listener... E.C. could do this own his own. Buy a short code, build a WAP site, and allow subscribers to stream and listen to exclusive music... No problem.

As for E.C. cutting his own deals, I would hope his time is spent on creating and crafting new music rather than mincing over legal terms in a contract.

If the clause for UM's digital rights is more than 5 years, E.C. was ripped off.

peace, love and understanding,
your pal, MOJO
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

MOJO wrote:Take note of UM building a direct channel to the "consumer"/listener... E.C. could do this own his own. Buy a short code, build a WAP site, and allow subscribers to stream and listen to exclusive music... No problem.

As for E.C. cutting his own deals, I would hope his time is spent on creating and crafting new music rather than mincing over legal terms in a contract.
I think these two paragraphs are a bit contradictory. If EC were to "do this on his own" (which would mean owning and operating a small business), wouldn't that be far more time-consuming than "mincing over legal terms in a contract"?

Maybe EC simply isn't interested in running his own business and would prefer to work with his existing record company?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

MOJO wrote:No. It's all about this:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/#080806uni

Take note of UM building a direct channel to the "consumer"/listener... E.C. could do this own his own. Buy a short code, build a WAP site, and allow subscribers to stream and listen to exclusive music... No problem.

If the clause for UM's digital rights is more than 5 years, E.C. was ripped off.

peace, love and understanding,
your pal, MOJO
Even Bob Dylan has sold his soul to iTunes :) ,see: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1002952105

Dylan Pacts With iTunes For Preorder Deal

August 08, 2006, 11:00 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Bob Dylan has teamed with Apple's iTunes Music Store to offer fans that pre-order his new album through the retailer first crack at tickets for shows on his fall tour.

As previously reported, "Modern Times" is due Aug. 29 via Columbia. Pre-order participants will receive a ticket presale code the following day, giving them a week-plus jump on the Sept. 9 general public onsale. Tour dates have yet to be announced.

The iTunes version of "Modern Times" will feature five bonus Dylan videos: "Cold Irons Bound" (shot during the filming of "Masked & Anonymous"), "Blood in My Eyes," "Things Have Changed," "Love Sick" (from the 1998 Grammys) and "Jokerman."

In addition, Apple has created the mammoth Dylan digital boxed set "The Collection," featuring every song from his studio albums plus 42 rarities and an exclusive digital booklet. The box will sell for $199 and will also be available Aug. 29.

Dylan will begin his third annual summer tour of U.S. minor league baseball stadiums Saturday (Aug. 12) in Comstock Park, Mich.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 1&s=143441

Maybe UMe could created a mammoth Elvis box...
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

A bit like The Doings maybe, Nick Lowe's 7CD thing. That would be nice, though a tad expensive for me.

I'd still buy it though, of course...
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Yeah, Dylan sold his soul to iTunes, a website which is associated with the ever so popular iPod.. which will be a useless gadget by 2010. Whatever...

As for E.C. supporting his own "operations" business, have you ever watched the Office? Lighten up! If there is money to be made from your own natural talent and abilities, woudn't you hire a staff to manage all the administative tasks/issues? Hell, yeah! The hot tub is in the backyard!

The digital channel could offer a co-op for professional artists/musicians. The co-op provides resources/talent based on need to fulfill an artists' need to become an independent entity in the digital world. If Elvis or his son and/or new kid can push a publish button, than I think we've reduced E.C.'s operating expenses.

I think we need to change the subject. This is getting boring.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story ... D=10405615

Classic rock drives new audience to ringtones

LOS ANGELES - While hip-hop acts may rule today’s ringtone charts, yesterday’s stars are driving growth to a broader audience.

Only about 10 per cent of wireless subscribers buy ringtones today, primarily young adults purchasing hip-hop and R and B-themed content. Record labels and wireless operators are keen to expand their market, particularly as the dominant format shifts from polyphonic ringtones to master recording clips. Exploiting the vast library of catalogue music, they say, is emerging as a key strategy in that effort.

Acts like Devo, the B-52’s, the Ramones, the Allman Brothers Band and Jimmy Buffett are generating healthy ringtone sales, and even Pink Floyd has found its way onto the mobile deck. Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Sweet Home Alabama is one of the best-selling catalogue ringtones of all time, with more than 1.2 million units sold, and became the first licensed track to appear in a mobile videogame.

Indeed, catalogue-based ringtones are now the format’s fastest-growing segment. Universal Music, for instance, says catalogue ringtones sales are up 80 per cent from last year and now represent 10 per cent of all its ringtone sales.

"There is a growing audience that is interested in content that speaks to them, and it’s not hip-hop," says David Dorn, senior VP of new-media strategy for Warner Music Group’s Rhino Entertainment division. Carriers "have only featured hip-hop because that’s all that sold. Well, that’s because it’s all they’ve featured. The only area of incremental growth for them is catalogue. If all they do is focus on hip-hop, they just end up speaking to the same audience over and over."

Catalogue music has been available in mobile form since ringtones first came onto the scene. But today labels and carriers are marketing catalogue-based mobile content more aggressively.

Take Universal’s deal with Verizon Wireless to bring the entire Jimi Hendrix catalogue to mobile for the first time. Verizon won a short-term exclusive by agreeing to promote the Hendrix content heavily in print and online campaigns, as well as prominently feature the guitarist on its ringtone sales site.

It’s the first time a wireless operator has applied a significant marketing push to a long-deceased catalogue artist.

"Typically, operators have been focused on promoting Shakira, or Sean Paul, or Gwen Stefani or the Pussycat Dolls," says Rio Caraeff, GM of Universal Music Mobile. "Verizon felt (Hendrix) would help grow the marketplace and expose their service to more and different people than who would have seen it otherwise."

The Hendrix deal follows a yearlong music industry initiative, led by Rhino, to include a "Songs You Know" category featuring immediately recognizable classics from all major labels on carriers’ ringtone sites. Sprint, Verizon, Cingular and Boost Mobile are among the carriers that now feature such a category.

Labels have responded by putting their own marketing dollars on the line. Rhino in the coming weeks will begin airing TV commercials supported by viral internet ads promoting mobile content from the Doors -- currently its best-selling mobile catalogue act -- as well as various ‘80s artists and old-school hip-hop tracks.

Dorn says new catalogue content is making its way into mobile formats almost weekly. However, there are several challenges. First, labels are being more careful about which songs are selected to become ringtones or ringback tones from often massive catalogues.

"We have to identify what we feel are the best songs for mobile content," Dorn says. "This is not a Long Tail approach. That’s how you approach iTunes -- you make really huge swaths of your catalogue available and monatise those things that have been collecting dust. The business for ringtones is all about hits and instantly recognizable songs."

Second, and more significant, many major acts -- including Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, the Beatles, Radiohead, Prince, the Eagles, Van Halen, Black Sabbath and Frank Sinatra -- remain noticeably absent in the ringtone world.

In many cases the label doesn’t own the digital rights to the artist’s work. In other cases, it owns digital rights to sell full tracks, but there’s a "no edit" clause that prohibits the label from condensing the song into a clip needed for a ringtone.

Labels say they are in active negotiations to bring many of these holdouts around, and are close to finalizing several deals. However, some artists and their management are demanding significant upfront advances in return, while others simply don’t want their work converted into a ringtone, or any digital form.

"There are always sensitivities depending on the artist," Caraeff says. "There are always challenges. You’re navigating through lots of approvals. But ultimately we work through it."

He points to pending deals for Elvis Costello and Guns N’ Roses in the near future.

"It’s stuff like the Jimi Hendrix deal that will hopefully open the eyes of the holdouts," Dorn says. "Sometimes they just wait to see what other artists do and then they go, ‘Why aren’t we doing this?"‘
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

From the extremely reliable MusicTap:

"Hip-O Records plan to revisit the Elvis Costello album collection with an across the board re-release of titles that include My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, Armed Forces, Get Happy, Trust, Imperial Bedroom, Almost Blue, Punch the Clock, Rock and Roll Music, King of America, Goodbye Cruel World, Blood and Chocolate, and The Best of the First 10 Years. These are planned for reissue on May 1."
And No Coffee Table

Rock and Roll Music??

And No Coffee Table

According to Jimbo at the IMWAN message board:
Bill Levenson is working with Elvis on a series of "thematic" comps. Rock and Roll Music might be the first of these.
and
If it all comes together as planned, the deluxe reissue of My Aim Is True should be really special.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It still seems rather odd to me that just as Rhino was getting finished on their reissue campaign (which seems pretty darned definitive to me!), Hip-O is now going to set out on their own.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

BlueChair wrote:It still seems rather odd to me that just as Rhino was getting finished on their reissue campaign (which seems pretty darned definitive to me!), Hip-O is now going to set out on their own.
My guess is that - with the exception of the 30th anniversary reissue of My Aim Is True - all the other albums will be just the original albums (with no bonustracks). More important will problably be that these albums become digitally available at last.
And No Coffee Table

sweetest punch wrote:My guess is that - with the exception of the 30th anniversary reissue of My Aim Is True - all the other albums will be just the original albums (with no bonustracks).
That's my guess as well.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

BlueChair wrote:It still seems rather odd to me that just as Rhino was getting finished on their reissue campaign (which seems pretty darned definitive to me!), Hip-O is now going to set out on their own.
At least this means in another few years EC can complain about how another label "let him down" after raving about the great job they were going to do with his catalog.

I felt from a merely musical standpoint, the Rhino reissues did improve on the Ryko reissues, in that each album had a pile of things added to it that hadn't been heard before (with some exceptions). I'm actually hoping that the Hip-O versions won't be any different, so I can save the money. If he's only going to add the odd extra track to each, then the download option would help us out; otherwise I predict lots of file-sharing.
And No Coffee Table

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... Roll_Music

01. Lipstick Vogue
02. No Action
03. Big Tears
04. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
05. This Year's Girl
06. Miracle Man
07. Pump It Up
08. Clean Money
09. Tiny Steps
10. Wednesday Week
11. Mystery Dance
12. You Belong To Me
13. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
14. Girls Talk
15. King Horse
16. Lovers Walk
17. Uncomplicated
18. Honey, Are You Straight Or Are You Blind?
19. Baby's Got A Brand New Hairdo
20. I Hope You're Happy Now
21. Tokyo Storm Warning
22. Welcome To The Working Week

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... t_10_Years

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Alison
03. Watching The Detectives
04. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
05. Pump It Up
06. Radio, Radio
07. Accidents Will Happen
08. Oliver's Army
09. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
10. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
11. High Fidelity
12. Clubland
13. New Lace Sleeves
14. Good Year For The Roses
15. Beyond Belief
16. Man Out Of Time
17. Almost Blue
18. Everyday I Write The Book
19. Shipbuilding
20. Brilliant Mistake
21. Indoor Fireworks
22. I Want You
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Is it just me, or are those the Voidoids in the photo behind Elvis on the Rock And Roll Music cover? And why is "Lovers Walk" on that album?

Thanks for the info, ANCT!
And No Coffee Table

wardo68 wrote:Is it just me, or are those the Voidoids in the photo behind Elvis on the Rock And Roll Music cover?
Nope, you're right. It's from CBGB's in 1978.
And why is "Lovers Walk" on that album?
Do you question its rock & roll credentials or do you just not like the song?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nope, you're right. It's from CBGB's in 1978.
http://www.elviscostello.info/pic/78/ro ... berta.html

Photo by Roberta Bailey

A fascinating account by Ms Bailey of the night the photo was taken -

http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 1101a.html
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

wardo68 wrote:why is "Lovers Walk" on that album?
I think EC must like that song, wasn't it on Girls, Girls Girls too?

Don't think it's one of the best songs on Trust, but still pretty good. The most rocking thing on there. Apart from Luxembourg, and that's abominable...
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Has it been established if these reissues are the original albums w/o bonus tracks, or what?