What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Utterly beautiful.

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Bettie Serveert, PALOMINE

Hadn't played this in a while.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Art Brut - again. Loving this.

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

and I've seen her naked! twice!!

moving along -

Like me, the "g" is silent.
newlacesleeves

Post by newlacesleeves »

Ethiopiques, Vol. 4: Ethio Jazz & Musique Instrumentale, 1969-1974

It's incredible!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000 ... 303?n=5174
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Oooh, nice one NLS. I've got a bunch of those and it's a great series. Like nightclub music from another planet.
newlacesleeves

Post by newlacesleeves »

That's a perfect way to describe it... All you need to do is pour yourself a nice glass of scotch, sit back and relax...
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The Alvin brothers and company ripping it up...

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else.

They don't get much better than this.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

those two are absolutely flammable, BWAP.

Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Spending a little tiem with Andy Partridge's "Fuzzy Warbles" demo archives series this morning. Tons of little gems in here - including an impression of the Cure's Robert Smith and Bob Dylan signing the XTC song "That Wave" that had me in stitches. God bless Partsy. I really wish XTC would put out some new stuff. :( At least I have the final two volumes of Warbles to look forward to in September.

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

A fave of Andy Partridge. Read all about it here. It's mental, but I love it. I want to hear more. The one I'd like to get next would be Doc At The Radar Station, chiefly because I enjoyed Peel playing it when it came out, and taped some of the songs and played them a lot, e.g. Sue Egypt, Ashtray Heart, and a very lyrical wordless guitar piece.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I really need to explore Captain Beefheart's stuff. As you say, Andy Partridge, among others, is a big fan (and I usually enjoy the stuff he recommends). Another one on the list!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

This could be my favourite Bowie's album. Excellent stuff !
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

That cover is my visual equivalent of Proust's madeleine. I look it at and I'm transported back to being 9 or 10 and staring at it forever. My mum got worried when I asked her what 'kings of oblivion/We were so spaced out in the mind-warp pavilion' meant. Cue lengthy maternal discourse on the evils of LSD. It's a great record, one of his very best.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Having an X teenage nostalgia freak-out today, including this, my fave of their albums:

ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Having failed to win any of these CDs on eBay (that takes silly money), I've returned to vinyl for the 1st time in donkeys years:

Richard & Linda Thompson - First Light and Sunnyvista
Richard Thompson - Marksman
Nick Lowe - Nick's Knacks and Rose of England

Excellent songs and performances on each one, and a crying shame that these (and others) are not more readily available.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I'd recommend anything Donelly has been associated with - Belly, Throwing Muses, solo albums... she's a brilliant songwriter/artist.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Nick's Knacks? Is that a Nick Lowe album? Sounds like one!
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

oldhamer wrote:Nick's Knacks? Is that a Nick Lowe album?
yup, it's a compilation, a follow up to 16 all time lowes. Sort of a 'best of the rest' circa 1986.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
wes

Post by wes »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Having an X teenage nostalgia freak-out today, including this, my fave of their albums:

[img]http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/X/x_front.jpg[img]
I'm big on "wild gift" m'self.
Otis Westinghouse

But does anyone living in Toledo...

Enjoying Thom Yorke's The Eraser. Surprised how accessible much of it is, with some lovely singing and vocal melodies. The opening track and Harrowdown Hill stand out, and Atoms for Peace. I was worried it might alll be like Skip Divided, i.e. vaguely interesting but not something you'd really want to hear. I'm with the 4 star reviews. Any Radiohead fan (unless they have a prob with electronica) is sure to like it (Mech Grace? WSS?), but it won't convert any sceptics, for sure ('Boo!).

Getting on less well with The Guillemots. Tend to agree with the reviews that said they make the classic mistake of a new, hyped band with a good budget and lots of ambition and totally go overboard, and also that the singer's voice isn't quite up to it. They do sound like they love Rufus, but nothing like as impressive. There are some lovely tunes, true, and some impressive arrangements, but I played it back to back with Illinoise today and it was a relief to get to the latter. I imagine that's how they want to sound, varied, multi-layered, complex, influenced by a plethora of things, but Sufjan's amazing musical savvy leaves them standing. Lots of ideas, yes, but is there a real character/personality/voice to any of it? I remain unconvinced. Bad Ambass, you were convinced straight off, clearly. Tell me more.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

It's funny you should mention Sufjan, as that album is one that was raved about that I didn't really click with. To me that record represented a great deal of artifice and ambition but with absolutely no regard for quality control. None of it's terrible, but good grief he could have chopped out a huge chunk of that record and made it far more enjoyable. I rarely go back to it because it feels like an endurance task - 'so, I've put in these little tracks as well, because I can'. There's no denying he's a very talented chap, but he needs to get into his head that some of us don't want to hear every musical fart his body produces. The recent release of 'The Avalanche' only served to confirm my suspicions. 'Illinois' has everything, plus the kitchen sink and a bloke from Focus DIY giving a quote on how he could fit another one in the living room.
As for the Guillemots, I'll play it again soon and give a more considered view, but on an immediate level it was overall spirit of it that grabbed me. I do think his voice is up to it and I really love the more poppy aspects that roam around the album. The fact that it does veer about is also pleasing to me - the 'static, doing the same thing rather a lot' problem is another reason why 'Illinois' is gathering dust. I like the fact they don't really sound like anything else I have, and yet clearly have moments from their influences - the big three for me being Rufus plus Ben Folds and The Who. Whether they would confirm that, absolutely no idea.
Will elaborate at some point.