johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00003 ... orcatid=60

Elvis Costello with Allan Toussaint
Beacon Theatre, New York, NY
Tue, Jul 11, 2006 08:00 PM
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

Lordy! Why doesn't he just move into the Beacon? I'm starting to know the insides of that place better than my own home. I would kill for him to play someplace different...

Not that it's a bad venue or anything, but there are lots of places to play in New York besides the Beacon and Town Hall. A little variety couldn't hurt.
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

At least you'll get to see him :mrgreen:

No Emmylou Harris shows in the UK last year for us and there'll be no Allen Tousaint shows here either I'll bet.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/07/arts/music/07pop.html

New York Times , July 7 '06

* ELVIS COSTELLO AND ALLEN TOUSSAINT (Monday and Tuesday) After Hurricane Katrina, Elvis Costello made a fruitful reconnection with Allen Toussaint, the veteran New Orleans songwriter and pianist with whom Mr. Costello had worked in the 1980's. They recorded "The River in Reverse" (Verve Forecast), an album of bittersweet parables about loss and perseverance, and are now touring together, with a 10-piece band that seamlessly commingles Mr. Costello's Imposters and Mr. Toussaint's Crescent City Horns. At 8 p.m., Beacon Theater, 2124 Broadway, at 74th Street, (212) 496-7070 or (212) 307-7171; $53.50 to $95. (Sisario)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/wat ... y_huhn.htm

NEW YORK POST

WATER MUSIC

ALLEN TOUSSAINT AND ELVIS COSTELLO SING FOR THE SOUL OF NEW ORLEANS

By MARY HUHN

July 9, 2006 -- They're an unlikely pair: Allen Toussaint. and Elvis Costello. Britain's Costello was punk's original angry young man. New Orleans' Toussaint, a soulful producer and songwriter, is known for a string of hits starting in the '50s, including "Mother-in-Law," "Working in a Coal Mine," "Southern Nights" and "Lady Marmalade."

A hurricane has brought the two together for "The River in Reverse," an album written in the wake of Katrina's devastation.

After escaping the flood, which destroyed his home and production studio, Toussaint, 68, found refuge in New York. He immediately went to work on benefit shows at Joe's Pub. At these intimate shows, Toussaint, embodied grace and hope as he delicately played the piano and sang a jukebox full of his hits.

Near the end of one performance, Costello, 51, joined in on Toussaint's "Freedom for the Stallion." Then in November, the two ventured south to Toussaint's decimated city to record "The River in Reverse." Their tour arrives at the Beacon Theatre tomorrow and Tuesday.

"I never recorded in these circumstances,"Costello says. "It was a little unusual with Humvees and people in fatigues carrying automatic weapons."

Even though Toussaint's famous SeaSaint Studio was destroyed, the pair found a place to stay and a soundstage, Piety Street Recordings, in working condition. The city lifted martial law, but there was still a curfew.

"It was great to be there," Costello says. "Even though it was very shocking. I went right down the first day and drove to where the breach in the levee took place. You're at eye level, and you're looking up at a car on the roof of a house and personal belonging hanging in trees. It's a surrealistic, horrific sight."

Toussaint sounds relieved he was able to record the album there.

"It was a wonderful, really spiritual time for the band and myself," Toussaint says. "And not just for the players from New Orleans, but [for Costello's band] the Imposters, because they cared enough to ride around and take a look at where we were. All of that was dear to the music and, I'm sure in some way - since we are a reflection of what we do and see - all of that experience is in this recording."

The album features some new songs - written by the partners - as well as lesser-known Toussaint tunes from his catalog. "Ascension Day," is a reworking of Professor Longhair's "Tipitina" played in a minor key and slowed down to bring, Costello says, "the lament out."

On tour, the musicians - including the Imposters and Toussaint's Crescent City Horns - breathe new life into songs from Costello's extensive songbook with the addition of new horn parts.

As a young pianist under the influence of Professor Longhair (whom he dubbed the Bach of rock), Toussaint dropped out of school to tour with Shirley & Lee in the '50s, but after that he was strictly a studio man.

"I went directly to the studio and found a home there," he says. "I found it rewarding and fun daily. So that's just the way life turned out. I hadn't really chosen that I would do this and not that. I wanted to make music - when and wherever."

Toussaint hopes that he'll permanently return to his damaged home by August. He's optimistic about the state of his neighborhood, near the Jazz Fest Fairgrounds. "It's a very long process but a very sure process," he says. "People have come back from wherever they were and are working on their houses. Electricity has been restored. Every lawn has a trailer on it, which is good sign. It would be better if people were in their houses, but it is a slow process."

Toussaint came to New York post-Katrina because he knows the city better than any other - aside from his hometown.

"I've been here for many, many years, so I know where I am," he says. "My father was a railroad man, so we had a pass to ride somewhere every year. So we'd go to New York one year, California next."

So does he now consider the Big Apple a second home?

"Yes, if there'd be such," he says. "But not for me."

mary.huhn@nypost.com
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

Setlist from listserv:

01. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
02. Monkey To Man
03. On Your Way Down
04. A Certain Girl
05. Clown Strike
06. Tears, Tears And More Tears
07. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
08. Poisoned Rose
09. Broken Promise Land
10. Freedom For The Stallion
11. The River In Reverse
12. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?
13. Nearer To You
14. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
15. Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues)
16. Bedlam
17. Watching The Detectives
18. Episode Of Blonde
19. Pump It Up
Encore 1
20. Big Chief Variations
21. Ascension Day
22. American Tune
23. Wonder Woman
24. International Echo
25. Alison / Tracks Of My Tears
26. Clubland
27. The Greatest Love
Encore 2
28. That's How You Got Killed Before
29. Yes We Can Can
30. Get Out Of My Life Woman
31. Slippin' And Slidin'
32. High Fidelity
33. The Sharpest Thorn
Pov

Post by Pov »

Hi, everyone! Excellent show last night. The horn arrangements were a real treat, particularly on Clown Strike and Allison. Highlights for me included American Tune (my wife, a musician, thought that it hadn't been adequately rehearsed but I didn't notice) and Slippin' and Slidin,' which was a complete surprise as I had not been checking set lists. Overall, a nice eclectic mix of material. Toussaint is an amazing pianist.

The one concern I had was that toward the end of the show, EC said something along the lines of "I don't know how long it will be before we're back here." Had me wondering if he is planning on taking some sort of hiatus.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a break for a while when Diana gives birth. At least from touring.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/12/arts/ ... ref=slogin

New York Times

G. Paul Burnett/The New York Times

Elvis Costello playing songs from “The River in Reverse.â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/pai ... ilante.htm

Elvis Costello gives a new twist to his time-tested tunes.
Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage

PAIRED WITH PIANIST, COSTELLO'S AIM STILL TRUE

By DAN AQUILANTE

July 12, 2006 -- ELVIS COSTELLO with ALLEN TOUSSAINT

OVER his enduring ca reer, Elvis Costello has been a genre-jumping pied piper who has led his fans on musical sojourns as diverse as new wave, classical, country and opera.

At the Beacon Theatre on Monday, the first of his two-show engagement, Costello bowed low to old-fashioned New Orleans R&B with Crescent City piano icon Allen Toussaint as his guide and muse. While the hairlines of both men have steadily traveled north, this performance demonstrated that their skills haven't gone south.

For a point of reference to the music, forget about the kind of soul and R&B that's infused into contemporary hip-hop. Instead, travel back to the rolling piano work and earthy vocals of a young Fats Domino singing songs that weren't quite country, blues or rock, but a little of each.

Over the course of the 21/2-hour concert, the pair traded licks on their individual hits and the songs they penned together for their recent CD "The River in Reverse," inspired by Hurricane Katrina.

These men have very different styles - Costello's tenor is nimble, reaching both highs and lows, but it has an abrasive quality. Toussaint is always smooth, his tones are soulful, and his delivery has an unexpected sincerity and humbleness.

During some of the songs, like Toussaint's "Freedom for the Stallion," the pair complemented one another. And then there were songs where they seemed at odds, as on "Ascension Day," a stripped-down retooling of the bright New Orleans standard "Tipitina" disguised in a solemn minor key.

When Costello laid down one of his own classics, such as the concert opener "(What's So Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding," or the late show rave "Pump It Up," the crowd matched his performance energy, but it was mostly an easy, relaxed night of music that the audience members enjoyed from their seats.

Still, there was no doubt about whom the crowd was there to hear.

At this show, Costello dominated the fans' attention, strumming and humming center stage. Toussaint's soul and R&B production served as the concert's glue, and he seemed content to be the pianist for Costello's band.

Toussaint did do a bit of lead vocal work, the best of which was on a cover of Paul Simon's "American Tune" and his own "Yes We Can Can," which was made popular by the Pointer Sisters back in the '70s.

The Costello songs that fared best with this old-school soul treatment were the midset rendering of "Poison Rose" and the encore song, "Alison." Each demonstrated how a stylistic shift can make you hear a time-tested oldie in a new way.

dan.aquilante@nypost.com
Pov

Post by Pov »

johnfoyle wrote:
While the hairlines of both men have steadily traveled north, this performance demonstrated that their skills haven't gone south.

dan.aquilante@nypost.com
Say what you will about the Post, but no paper turns a phrase better. :)

Thanks for posting those, John.
verbal gymnastics

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/pai ... ilante.htm

...and the encore song, "Alison." Each demonstrated how a stylistic shift can make you hear a time-tested oldie in a new way.

dan.aquilante@nypost.com
A stylistic shift - great phrase. I wonder if Mr Aquilante is a devoted fan who knows that Elvis wrote Alison based on The Stylistics.
verbal gymnastics

It would seem that working in a Coal Mine has been dropped from the set lists.

It's a moot point for me given that there seems to be little or no chance of seeing this show in the UK/Europe. :(
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A rather bizarre blog account -

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showt ... post468704

(extract)

Which could mean row 27, IF row A was the very first row.
But alas, we walked in, and the usher just kept on walking towards the stage.
We were sitting FRONT ROW CENTER!!!!

Now, I had left work in a super rush- without even stopping to eat.
My friend who sold us the tickets, handed my a shwarma sandwich.
For those who never tried one- this sandwich was in a Pita ( pocket ) bread- and it was pretty sizable.

Once we sat down, we were transfixed by the amazing music.
But I was pretty hungry.
So I took out the shwarma and started to chomp.

Then he looked directly at me. Elvis did.
I could just tell from the look in his eye- WHAT ARE YOU DOING EATING IN MY FACE HERE, BOY?????

You might think I was imagining this, but we were only about 6 feel from him, and well, shwarma has, let's say, quite a strong odor.
My companion looked at me in horror....PUT THAT THING AWAY!!!!!!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mmm, shawarma! But at an EC show???

I had a lovely middle eastern dinner (including kick-ass shawarma) while I was in LA at this place:

http://www.zankouchicken.com

Used to go there with my friend Haig when I was in high school. Across the street from the massive Scientology complex in Hollywood, which always used to creep me out a bit - and still does.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

johnfoyle wrote:A rather bizarre blog account -

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showt ... post468704

(extract)

Now, I had left work in a super rush- without even stopping to eat.
My friend who sold us the tickets, handed my a shwarma sandwich.

Once we sat down, we were transfixed by the amazing music.
But I was pretty hungry.
So I took out the shwarma and started to chomp.
Instant shawarma's gonna get you...a glare from Elvis :lol:
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

hee hee!!! congrats, you made me laugh. :lol: