Shine On Syd - R.I.P

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

Shine On Syd - R.I.P

Post by Mike Boom »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5169344.stm

Syd dies age 60 - he had suffered from diabetes but Ive heard other reports it was cancer. A true genius, for a short while yes, but a genius just the same. :cry:
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Wow.

It's a weird feeling to hear that because he's been out of the public eye for so long... dead to the world, essentially. He was definitely a legend though... a pity that so much of his talent had to go to waste.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

At least now he'll finally be left alone. Thanks for the music, Syd.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

R.I.P, Syd
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

He didn't write a ton of songs, but the ones he did write were true corkers. RIP.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Syd's personality ( well , the one that figures in various Floyd accounts) is beautifully evoked in Tom Stoppard's new play 'Rock 'n Roll' . I saw it in
London recently and it's a must see if you can get to it; the Royal Court run is sold out but it's transferring to a bigger theatre on July 22 -

http://www.theambassadors.com/dukeofyorks/sp_p2875.html
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Strange...why do we idolize Syd Barrett as a genius when we have Michael Jackson who has written many more hits and is even more of a genius? (not that I like his stuff). We can accept that Syd was great because we never had time to break him down and drag him through the shit. He checked out early, which is why he stills holds a mystique. Any rock star who goes down before we get the chance to fuck them up is treated in the same way. Cobain is a great example. Anybody agree? Who can come up with more examples?
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Gram Parsons . His relatively tiny output is fantastic but pales in comparison with that of Gene Clark. Sadly, Gene got fat 'n old wheras Gram checked out young 'n sexy.

I don't idolise Syd - or anyone , for that matter. I am , however , aware that he evokes and defines an aspect of his age.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Strange...why do we idolize Syd Barrett as a genius when we have Michael Jackson who has written many more hits

Sure, his breakdown lends a mystique to his image, just like Brian Wilson, but people who are touched by this sort of genius are often mentally fragile. It's almost like they have been blessed with so much talent that they can hardly function in a normal reality. It must be hard walking around with 20,000 Volts of pure artistic muse coursing through your body. Mix in drugs and there you have it. Jackson has never possesed that kind of raw artistic streak. He was a gifted dancer and singer, thats all.

"See Emily Play" is the greatest psychedelic pop song ever written and is along with "Bike", "Arnold Layne" "Dark Globe" and "Apples and Oranges" way beyond anything Michael Jackson could ever, ever, ever imagine, in structure, lyric, inspiration and sheer originality, so much so that these songs still inspire artists over 35 years later.

Michael Jackson was a very good R&B singer who sold a lot of records for a few years, never a true genius.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Agreed
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Yeh true. Syd Barrett was a hero. There's been stuff of legend ciruclating for years...even though he was out of the public eye after he quit pink floyd, now that's a true star! RIP Syd.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Always had this idea I'd see him somewhere in Cambridge, and never did. to my knowledge. The only musical legend here. Shine on you crazy diamond.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Copenhagen Fan wrote: Any rock star who goes down before we get the chance to fuck them up is treated in the same way. Cobain is a great example. Anybody agree? Who can come up with more examples?
I agree that Kurt Cobain is grossly overrated due to his death. If he were still alive he would probably be generally regarded on a par with Eddie Vedder. I have far more respect for Dave Grohl than for Eddie Vedder or Cobain, both for how he handles his image and for his music.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

If he were still alive, he'd have done more music, and we can have no idea of knowing what it would be like. Yeah, his death made him into a teen messiah, but he was great, and more importantly an innovator, and I bet he'd be doing interesting things. Props to Dave Grohl but he's not in the same league, imo. Neither is Vedder.

And RIP to Syd. Both the walk-on part in the war and the lead role in a cage are now behind him.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Jerry Garcia was better than them all...ha ha.......
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp