What should Elv have opened River in Reverse with?

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

What should Elv have opened River in Reverse with?

Post by Neil. »

Everyone seems to agree that the opening number of the new album ain't the most explosive salvo in the world. So whaddaya reckon he should've chosen?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Everyone is wrong. It's not the album's strongest song, but it's fine as is.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
migdd

Post by migdd »

Yeah, it's not the strongest track but it's not a bad opener at all. I like how the track introduces the musicians - Allen first, then Elvis and the Imposters, then the horns - prior to the start of the vocals. The first part of the song is a good introduction to all of the players. Not the catchiest track on the CD but not a bad start, either. Maybe the 2nd track should have been more uptempo??
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Excellent lead track. Although, I think I prefer the Little Feat version just for the LG vocals.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I think the opening track, "On Your Way Down" is a very appropriate starter. 2 reasons I say so:

1) It puts much of the blame for the New Orleans tragedy (as it unfolded and devolved) squarely where it belongs . . . on the jackass that did a low fly-by, "on his way down", from AF1 to survey the damage. The same jackass who let the rescue efforts flounder for 7 or so days before it really got going. Or that other jackass whose qualifications as a head of an equestrian club and close friendship to the previously mentioned jackass got him appointed to head FEMA. Just guessing that he might be the one who likes the '62 vintage wines. Maybe not, but wasn't he worried more about the shirt he was going to wear that day, than to take urgent phone calls from his people in the field? Seems plausible that he would be a wine snob.

2) The song has a funky groove to it. Piano and horns set to Elvis venom as written by Mr. T.

I couldn't disagree more, Neil.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Listened to it again last night - y'know you're right! I do like the way it eases us into the album! Like the way the distorted guitar cuts in after the piano. Okay, I was wrong, already! Getting more into the album now - but I gotta say they shoulda chopped Wonder Woman and Six Fingered Man out, and replaced them with that one Allen sings on the DVD!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Hey Neil. - Go back and listen to Wonder Woman. It's a happening track. The intro reminds me of PFunk Chocolate City... (We gainin' on ya')... I just discovered it today and it's now one of my favorite tracks. I can't wait to hear this live... Toodles...
charliestumpy

TRIR running-order ...

Post by charliestumpy »

I agree with Neil about
a) getting used to deliberate musical quirks on track 1 thus moving nicely into next 10 songs finishing with 'All these things' ...
b) I still do not get tracks 12 & 13 ...
c) the advantage of CD/nice people sharing Japanese-only bonus etc is that one can play tracks finishing with released ballads/make an evolving CDRW adding live versions of unreleased current Toussaint-Costello performances of songs not in basic 13.

In UK, Paul Simon 'Surprise' album with Eno electronics and 'Katrina' references got to BBC no. 4 in 1st week of release last Sunday ...