What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The anthemic quality he seems to go for on some of the songs - with a choir of singers singing in unison - gets to be a bit much at times, but overall I think I like this quite a bit more than Neil's other recent efforts.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I miss the way she used to yell at me, the way she used to cuss and moan...
Like me, the "g" is silent.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I hate graveyards and old pawnshops
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I do love The Bends, but in some ways this is my fave Radiohead disc. It's just so BIG and dramatic. Also I spent 2 weeks driving around Ireland listening to it while my marriage moved closer and closer to an edge I thought was far off...

So where the foo's the next record?? Have heard rumblings (wriiten & recorded really quickly or something??) but can't recall when it's due out.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I heard they're still working on recording it, but they have no record deal at the moment, so who knows when we'll see it. Thom Yorke has apparently finished a solo album that will be coming out later this year.

I agree with you - Hail to the Thief is a very underrated album and would have made a bigger splash if people had not decided that Radiohead were not fashionable anymore.

PS - Billboard says the Thom Yorke album will be out in July.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I don't think that Radiohead became 'unfashionable'. They just thought it would be clever and 'arty' to (generally) stop putting tunes on their records. :?

I lost interest after Kid A and Amnesiac. Others may find them to be 'brave' albums, I just thought they were prententious.

Perhaps i should give 'Thief' a listen.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I like each one of their records for different reasons, including the "difficult" Amnesiac and Kid A and don't think that they are necessarily self-consciously "arty". To each his own I suppose, but I have no problem with them challenging listeners a little bit.

Listening to Kid A again at the moment. Jesus, it isn't that arty or dense.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

They're touring right now, Hamm Apollo tonight, I think. Will look out for it on Dime. In many ways I preferred Amnesiac over Thief, which I thought was good in parts, e.g. Wolf at the Door, but overall didn't quite get there. I think the best thing they've done of late was I Might Be Wrong, the live one. It's just thaqt bit more full-blooded than the later studio stuff. I'm somewhere between admiring their bravery and desire to experiment and regret that the more obvious full-on emotional power of Bends and OK Comp has been largely abandoned. I was playing the latter in the car recently, and it still sounds great (forget all the 'best album ever' bollocks). Give me the catharsis of Let Down over the more left-field stuff any day.

I'm playing the Steel Pulse 'Reggae Greats' I wrote of in the recent purchases. Very nice, some great stuff, especially the Handsworth Revolution tracks. Good voice(s), good overall vibe.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the cover reminds me of Tales From The Darkside.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

A really, really good record. A huge leap from the last album and right up with their best material.
Mechanical Grace

Bjork's Selmasongs, the soundtrack to Dancer In the Dark. Her most overlooked work. This record brings back the beauty and pain of the film like no other soundtrack I know.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Mechanical Grace

This morning I've been listening to the player at the Smithsonian Folkways website:

http://www.folkways.si.edu/index.html

About a third of way down the blue box on the left, hit 'pop up' and you can leave it open and playing. Some great stuff here.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I like each one of their records for different reasons, including the "difficult" Amnesiac and Kid A and don't think that they are necessarily self-consciously "arty".
Amnesiac is difficult alright, one of the worst experiences I've ever had checking out an album. It made me strongly suspect it was some joke at the listener's expense.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Otis Westinghouse

Is that a new one by them? They were playing the smallish local venue the night of the Champs League Final, might have been tempted otherwise.

Extreme response to Amnesiac, BBN! And rather reactionary, if I may say. Much of it is very interesting and listenable, and it's hard not to be impressed by a band wanting to make music that doesn't like it belongs to a 20+ year old genre. I like parts and aspects of the three post-OK C LPs, but they always leave you wanting more. Could be why they are struggling with/delaying their new LP, and why Thom is doing his own thing. They know they want to make something that impresses people as much as Bends/OK C, but they don't want to repeat themselves.

I'd love to see them live, and were it not for the fact that I have Moz and Ron coming soon and have been buying a bit of music of late and more releases coming soon, I would have tried hard to see them in Hammersmith. Thank God for Dime. I don't know what their sets are normally like, but their two recent nights in Copenhagen have great sets. Something old, something new. Black Star and Let Down are pretty much my favourites from LPs 2 and 3, with Street Spirit a close rival on no. 2, and Wolf At The Door my fave from Thief, and many other faves here too, so this would have blown me away. Is Spooks inspired by The Human Stain, I wonder?

May 6 2006
-------------
Intro / Everything In It's Right Place
Planet Telex
Bangers And Mash
Open Pick
Karma Police
Black Star
Nude
15 Step
Street Spirit
A Wolf At The Door
The Bends
Four Minute Warning
Pyramid Song
House Of Cards
Idioteque
Spooks
There There
(encore)
Bodysnatchers
You And Whose Army?
Let Down
Paranoid Android
(encore)
Lucky

May 7 2006
-------------
Setlist:
Intro / Everything In It's Right Place
National Anthem
15 Step
Exit Music
2+2=5
Bangers & Mash
Nude
How To Disappear Completely
I Might Be Wrong
Black Star
Morning Bell
Arpeggi
Fake Plastic Trees
Spooks
Idioteque
Bodysnatchers
There There
(encore)
House Of Cards
Let Down
Planet Telex
Karma Police
(encore)
The Bends

Can't wait to check these out!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

My response to Amnesiac may be seen as reactionary, but I found it so unlistenable that I just decided to cut my losses on it right away and I'm sure I won't ever regret that. I bet a lot of Radiohead fans would secretly envy me that.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Is that a new one by them? They were playing the smallish local venue the night of the Champs League Final, might have been tempted otherwise.
Yup. It's such a good record. Far superior to the comparitively lacklustre 'Absent Friends'. Off to see them tonight in Sheffield.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:I bet a lot of Radiohead fans would secretly envy me that.
Not this one - "Packt Like Sardines...", "I Might Be Wrong", "Knives Out" all among my fave Radiohead tracks.
Otis Westinghouse

I'm with WSS. Why accuse 'Head fans of pretending to like their more experimental stuff? I played Amnesiac loads when it came out. Very much the sort of record, like so much of the really good stuff, that you want to play 5 times before you really get to grips with it. Perhaps you cut your losses too soon?

Kitty Empire of the Observer makes a shocl declaration that she prefers them as an experimental electronic act over a guitar one. some interesting notes here on the new stuff:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/s ... 06,00.html
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Despite the brilliance of OK Computer, most of Radiohead's fans at that point were very much in the mainstream "alternative rock" crowd. I think that's why Kid A threw them for a loop - it's not that experimental to people who have heard experimental music by other artists, but to the mainstream it probably would be.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

God, I hate the phrase 'experimental music'. If it has to be said that it's experimental, is there any real point in it?
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Not sure I get your last point, Jacko, but I do see a point in experimenting. I agree it's a tedious label.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'm with WSS. Why accuse 'Head fans of pretending to like their more experimental stuff? I played Amnesiac loads when it came out. Very much the sort of record, like so much of the really good stuff, that you want to play 5 times before you really get to grips with it. Perhaps you cut your losses too soon?
I'm not accusing them of actually pretending to like it, just suggesting many would agree with me that it's not an ultimately satisfying record considering the extent to which they have invested themselves in it and in Radiohead's importance. You even said, "I like parts and aspects of the three post-OK C LPs, but they always leave you wanting more"...
---
Otis Westinghouse

Well there's a big difference between secretly envying someone who got rid of theirs and not finding something ultimately satisfying! I wouldn't dream of not having them in the house, and will often return to them, for sure.