R.I.P Johnny Cash

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

R.I.P Johnny Cash

Post by laughingcrow »

1932 - 2003

Johnny Cash
Rest In Peace

The world stands a poorer place...
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Oh God. My dad has just told me.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Dammit. My husband just told me while I was waking up the kids.

I knew this was coming. He just wasn't meant to last long after June went.

:cry:
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

:(

A great life.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm heartbroken... what a wonderful legacy he has left behind.
Uncomplicated

Post by Uncomplicated »

A True Legend

RIP
It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Rosanne Cash made a beautiful statement once about finding peace with her father. She said that she had come to realize that Johnny Cash belonged to the world as much as he did to her. I have felt his presence throughout my entire life. I was raised on his music and have never stopped loving it or failed to ask myself in a tough situation; "What would Johnny Cash do?"

This is not to say he was a perfect man, just that I have always looked up to him as a great artist and as an individual who spent his entire life searching for something bigger than us all. I love his more overtly spiritual music because, unlike any other artist, it was never about preaching the gospel message but more about his own journey to grace. That is something I can relate to. He shaped my life as much as my family and friends and I am so grateful that his music will live forever for future generations to use as a guiding light. Goodbye and thanks for everything. I love you, Johnny Cash.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The greatest figure in the history of American music (at least) has just died. I feel such a huge sense of loss. I found out after I arrived at school today. I'm wearing our school's colors: royal blue and white. My clothes just feel wrong to me today. I think I shall be wearing black for a good little while.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I saw a documentary about him just two weeks ago, with lots of classic footage and everyone was unanimous in their praise of him as a person... also just bought my first JC album.

Here's something I just found, it includes a brief quote from EC among others:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/article ... 739-04.txt

Music Legend Johnny Cash Dies at 71
By JOHN GEROME

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Johnny Cash, "The Man in Black" who became a towering figure in American music with such hits as "Folsom Prison Blues," "I Walk the Line" and "A Boy Named Sue," died Friday. He was 71.

Cash died of complications from diabetes that resulted in respiratory failure, his manager, Lou Robin, said in a statement issued by Baptist Hospital in Nashville. Cash died at the hospital at 3 a.m. EDT.

"I hope that friends and fans of Johnny will pray for the Cash family to find comfort during this very difficult time," Robin said.

Cash had been released from the hospital Wednesday after a two-week stay for treatment of an unspecified stomach ailment. The illness caused him to miss last month's MTV Video Music Awards, where he had been nominated in seven categories. He won one award for the video "Hurt," a reflection on mortality that showed his brittle health.

He had battled a disease of the nervous system, autonomic neuropathy, and pneumonia in recent years. His second wife, June Carter Cash, who co-wrote Cash's hit "Ring of Fire," died in May.

"More than any single person I can think of, Johnny Cash broadened interest in country music all around the world. He was just a huge star, and became a cultural icon in America," said Ed Benson, executive director of the Country Music Association. "It's extremely sad. He's certainly someone who is irreplaceable in the music business, and in the hearts and minds of many Americans."

Dozens of hit records like "Folsom Prison Blues," "I Walk the Line," and "Sunday Morning Coming Down" defined Cash's persona: a haunted, dignified, resilient spokesman for the working man and downtrodden.

Cash's deeply lined face fit well with his unsteady voice, which was limited in range but used to great effect to sing about prisoners, heartaches and tales of everyday life. He wrote much of his own material, and was among the first to record the songs of Bob Dylan and Kris Kristofferson.

"One Piece at a Time" was about an assembly line worker who built a car out of parts stolen from his factory. "A Boy Named Sue," a Shel Silverstein song he took to No. 1 in 1969, was a comical story of a father who gives his son a girl's name to make him tough.

Cash said in his 1997 autobiography "Cash" that he tried to speak for "voices that were ignored or even suppressed in the entertainment media, not to mention the political and educational establishments."

His career spanned generations, with each finding something of value in his simple records, many of which used his trademark rockabilly rhythm.

He was a peer of Elvis Presley when rock 'n' roll was born in Memphis in the 1950s, and he scored hits like "Cry! Cry! Cry!" during that era. He had a longtime friendship and recorded with Dylan, who has cited Cash as a major influence.

"His influence spread over many generations of different people," said Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger. "I loved him as singer and a writer. I remember years ago a big part of our repertoire was two of my favorite Johnny Cash songs, 'I Walk The Line' and 'Ballad Of A Teenage Queen.'"

Elvis Costello, who once recorded with Cash, called him "a great, great man. ... He made me feel very welcome in his home and I will never forget that."

Country singer Barbara Mandrell recalled his star quality.

"Truly I can only think of two people in my life, where you knew it when they were in the building just by their presence. The air would just get exciting and stimulating and electric even if you couldn't see them. Those two people were Johnny Cash and Billy Graham," she said

Cash won 11 Grammy Awards _ most recently in 2003, when "Give My Love To Rose" earned him honors as best male country vocal performance _ and numerous Country Music Association awards. He was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1980 and inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992.

June Carter Cash, who partnered with him in hits such as "Jackson," and daughter Rosanne Cash also were successful singers.

"It's a sad day in Tennessee, but a great day in Heaven," said Merle Kilgore, best man at their wedding. "The 'Man in Black' is now wearing white as he joins his wife June in the angel band."

Truck driver Bobby Williams of Spokane, Wash., en route from Tennessee to Tampa, Fla., stopped and bowed his head for a moment when he heard Cash had died.

"He was the greatest man ever picked a guitar. He spoke to the American man. He did songs people could understand and relate to," said Williams, who then sang a few lyrics of his favorite Cash recording, "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky."

The late 1960s and '70s were Cash's peak commercial years, and he was host of his own ABC variety show from 1969-71. In later years, he was part of the Highwayman supergroup with Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Kristofferson.

In the 1990s, Cash found a new artistic life recording with rap and hard rock producer Rick Rubin on the label American Recordings. And he was back on the charts in with the 2002 album "American IV: the Man Comes Around."

Most recently, Cash was recognized for his cover of the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt." He had hoped to attend the MTV Video Music Awards, where the video won for best cinematography, but he was hospitalized.

He also wrote books including two autobiographies, and acted in films and television shows.

In his 1971 hit "Man in Black," Cash said his black clothing symbolized the downtrodden people in the world. Cash had been "The Man in Black" since he joined the Grand Ole Opry at age 25.

"Everybody was wearing rhinestones, all those sparkle clothes and cowboy boots," he said in 1986. "I decided to wear a black shirt and pants and see if I could get by with it. I did and I've worn black clothes ever since."

John R. Cash was born Feb. 26, 1932, in Kingsland, Ark., one of seven children. When he was 12, his 14-year-old brother and hero, Jack, died after an accident while sawing oak trees into fence posts. The tragedy had a lasting impact on Cash, and he later pointed to it as a possible reason his music was frequently melancholy.

He worked as a custodian and enlisted in the Air Force, learning guitar while stationed in Germany, before launching his music career after his 1954 discharge.

"All through the Air Force, I was so lonely for those three years," Cash told The Associated Press during a 1996 interview. "If I couldn't have sung all those old country songs, I don't think I could have made it."

Cash launched his career in Memphis, performing on radio station KWEM. He auditioned with Sun Records, ultimately recording the single "Hey Porter," which became a hit.

Sun Records also launched the careers of Presley, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis and others.

"Folsom Prison Blues" went to No. 4 on the country charts in 1956 and featured Cash's most famous couplet: "I shot a man in Reno/ just to watch him die."

Cash recorded theme albums celebrating the railroads and the Old West, and decrying the mistreatment of American Indians. Two of his most popular albums were recorded live at prisons. Along the way he notched 14 No. 1 country music hits.

Because of Cash's frequent performances in prisons and his rowdy lifestyle early in his career, many people wrongly thought he had served prison time. He never did, though he battled addictions to pills on and off throughout his life.

He blamed fame for his vulnerability to drug addiction.

"When I was a kid, I always knew I'd sing on the radio someday. I never thought about fame until it started happening to me," he said in 1988. "Then it was hard to handle. That's why I turned to pills."

He credited June Carter Cash, whom he married in 1968, with helping him stay off drugs, though he had several relapses over the years and was treated at the Betty Ford Center in California in 1984. Together, June Carter and Cash had one child, John Carter Cash. He is a musician and producer.

Singer Rosanne Cash is Johnny Cash's daughter from his first marriage, to Vivian Liberto. Their other three children were Kathleen, Cindy and Tara. They divorced in 1966.

In March 1998, Cash made headlines when his California-based record company, American Recordings, took out an advertisement in the music trade magazine Billboard. The full-page ad celebrated Cash's 1998 Grammy award for best country album for "Unchained." The ad showed an enraged-looking Cash in his younger years making an obscene gesture to sarcastically illustrate his thanks to country radio stations and "the country music establishment in Nashville," which he felt had unfairly cast him aside.

Jennings, a close friend, once said of Cash: "He's been like a brother to me. He's one of the greatest people in the world."

Cash once credited his mother, Carrie Rivers Cash, with encouraging him to pursue a singing career.

"My mother told me to keep on singing, and that kept me working through the cotton fields. She said God has his hand on you. You'll be singing for the world someday."

Cash lived in Hendersonville, Tenn., just outside of Nashville. He also had a home in Jamaica.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

The Man will be missed. Farewell to one of the strongest, most beautiful, coolest cats around.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm drawing a blank on when EC recorded with Johnny Cash. When did this happen?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The Tennessean will be printing a special issue tomorrow to honor Johnny Cash. I can pick up a couple extra copies if anyone wants one. E-mail me at billy@onemusic.com.

RIP Mr. Cash....
uselessbeauty?

Post by uselessbeauty? »

my dad woke me up this morning by telling me that johnny cash died. this might be the biggest tragedy this year. zevon and cash within a week of one another. this has really been a black week for the music industry. but whomever said cash wasn't going to live long after june died was exactly right. i only hope that his legacy lives on in the same glorious light.

"why me lord
what have i ever done to deserve even one
of the blessings i've known
maybe lord
i could show someone else what i've
been through myself
on my way back to you"
-kris kristofferson
i knew they were going to fire me after i stole the eighteen wheeler. so i quit first.
true story
bobster

Post by bobster »

This was the first I heard of it, a great loss -- the guy had survived so much, I thought he'd make it through this obviously very trying year too.

Well, he lived a full life (probably a little too full for his taste at times) and definitely left his corner of the world a better place than he found it. That's all any of us can really ask.

And did I say he was the coolest guy?

I once worked on compiling a (never published, so far as I know) book of Country music quotes. Here's one I remember. His daughter Roseanne came to stay with her fiance (Rodney Crowell, if I'm not mistaken).

When the subject of whether or not Rodney would sleep in the same room came up, Cash is supposed to have said something like..."Son, I don't know you well enough to miss you when you're gone."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I guess one of the great things to admire with Cash, is that he made some of his best music in the last 10 years of his life. His four albums for American Recordings are fantastic, and I was hoping for at least a few more. He was apparently supposed to go back into the studio soon to work on American V.

How poignant that the last track on American IV was a rendition of the old standard "We'll Meet Again."
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

My favourite Cash quote: "I don't dance or tell jokes or wear my pants too tight, but I do know a thousand songs."

The coolest man.
girl out of time

still miss someone

Post by girl out of time »

to pay tribute to the man in black, i spent all day listening to i still miss someone....... :cry:
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
girl out of time

greatest pic

Post by girl out of time »

.............go to old.hartfordadvocate.com/articles/shovesong.html

this is my johnny cash favourite photo ever!!!!!!!!!!!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

When I heard about it I thought of you guys. He must have wanted to be where June was.
Joe Porterhouse

Post by Joe Porterhouse »

Johnny was a great man and a TRUE aritst.His voice and music will resonate for years to come.I've had 'The Wanderer 'in my head since I heard.Rolling Stone better put him on the cover.Those wankers.
Joe Porterhouse

Post by Joe Porterhouse »

I also heard that American V was almost complete, as well as Rubin has been putting together a box set of unrelased songs from their frist four collaborations, apparently somewhere around the EIGHTY song mark.Impressive and I am certainly looking forward to hearing the results.
A rope leash

Black

Post by A rope leash »

I stole this photo from costellonews.

He really did live a hard life. He actually experienced the darkness of life, and that made him authentic. I can't think of any "modern" country performer that doesn't look like a complete phoney next to J. Cash.

Most of your average country-western heroes nowdays are too busy falling over one another trying to be more patriotic, more faithful, and more "correct" than the next guy. O sure, they'll drink and drive, but I doubt that most of them would ever break a drug law, much less shoot-up cocaine. They mamas might find out.

Here's to Johnny Cash, a real man. Country music will forever suck without him.
DPAM

Post by DPAM »

That's ok. I took it from someone via Google Images. Bye Bye Johnny.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

I feel absolutely terrible about this...I mean, I seem to remember a thread when June died where I (or was it someone else?) actually wondered aloud how last he'd last, after she was gone...

I guess we all know now.

:cry:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
The Macintosh Man

Post by The Macintosh Man »

martinfoyle wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but I'm drawing a blank on when EC recorded with Johnny Cash. When did this happen?
From EC's liner notes to the Rykodisc reissue of "Almost Blue": "In a roundabout way my link with country music was strengthened by Nick Lowe's marriage to Carlene Carter, daughter of June Carter and granddaughter of Mother Maybelle of The Carter Family, not to mention step-daughter of Johnny Cash. None of this would have been of any relevance had Johnny not suggested a Christmas Day recording session in the ground floor studio of Nick and Carlene's large terraced house in Shepherd's Bush. In fact the session finally took place on St. Stephen's Day where I was among the musicians greeted in the narrow hallway outside the tiny studio by the imposing figure of Nick's father-in-law, who rumbled "Hello I'm Johnny Cash", just like on "Live At San Quentin". Cut at this session were Nick's "Without Love" (which appeared on Cash's "Johnny 99" album) and a rare George Jones composition entitled "We Ought To Be Ashamed" which, I'm sorry to say, proved to be prophetic. While it was great fun to sing with the big man it seems our duet did not make the grade."