EC on VH1 Classic "Decades Rock Live" May 19, 2006

Pretty self-explanatory
nobodygirl

Post by nobodygirl »

wardo68 wrote:I nominate John Lennon as a great rhythm guitarist.
I nominate erm, elvis costello.

I've never really thought of him as a lead guitarist.
Your friends said you were better off dead
You were dead anyway from the start
--RA
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/ledger/ ... xml&coll=1

New friends for Elvis

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

BY JAY LUSTIG
Star-Ledger Staff
POP/ROCK

When it comes to rock music, the best equivalent of Kevin Bacon, in the "Six Degrees Of ..." department, might be Elvis Costello.

Over the course of his restless, often brilliant career, Costello, 51, has written songs with Burt Bacharach and Paul McCartney, produced albums for the Pogues and Squeeze, and performed with Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and the Beastie Boys. In recent years, he has presented collaborative shows with Emmylou Harris and Los Lobos' David Hidalgo. He was backed by the Dutch orchestra Metropole Orkest on his most recent album, "My Flame Burns Blue"; his upcoming album, "The River In Reverse," teams him with one of the giants of New Orleans R&B, Allen Toussaint.

Yet for his Friday night concert at the Trump Taj Mahal, which is being taped for broadcast on VH1 Classics' "Decades Rock Live!" series, he will welcome, as guests, three younger artists he has never worked with: Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong, Fiona Apple and the band Death Cab For Cutie.

Costello, who will be backed by his regular backing group, the Imposters, for most of the show, says he might have chosen "friends who are contemporaries of mine or even a year or two up on me, but that seemed a little too obvious. I've done a lot of collaborative work in the last 10 or 12 years; to repeat any of those wouldn't be taking advantage of, perhaps, an unusual opportunity. So in the end we decided not to go with people I'd worked with before."

He says he doesn't know any of the guests well and has met only one of them, Armstrong, before. He has talked to them, though, by phone, in preparation for the show, and says he has been encouraged by the songs they want to perform.

"Some of the choices they went for were really surprising, and I think that's good because they're coming at my stuff from different angles," he says, declining to name the songs, as nothing has been finalized. "It seems like they have their heads on straight about what we're trying to do.

"I think we just have to make the most interesting show that we can musically and have some fun. We'll take seriously learning the songs and trying to play them the best we can. But it must be enjoyable to do because we're just doing it for one occasion. If it isn't enjoyable, why are we doing it?"

The show comes in the middle of an extremely busy period of Costello's career. Having released "My Flame Burns Blue" in February, he just wrapped up -- last weekend -- a tour on which he was joined by different orchestras in different cities. The "River In Reverse" album came together hurriedly, after Costello and Toussaint performed together at three post-Katrina benefits in New York (where Costello lives and where Toussaint relocated after the hurricane made his hometown unlivable).

They have presented some other benefits since those initial ones, in September, and performed April 30 at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. After the album's release, on June 6, they will embark on their first actual tour. They're booked at New York's Beacon Theatre July 10 and 11.

Toussaint, 68, is best known as a producer and songwriter. His name has appeared on hits by everyone from Ernie K-Doe (1961's "Mother-In-Law") to Lee Dorsey ("Working in the Coal Mine"), Dr. John ("Right Place Wrong Time"), the Pointer Sisters ("Yes We Can Can") and LaBelle ("Lady Marmalade"). He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 in the nonperformer category, though he has released many records under his own name.

In the'80s, he did some production and keyboard work for Costello.

"I really valued the collaborations we had," says Costello, "but I hadn't, to my shame, kept up the acquaintance that much. But I was asked to play at a benefit concert by Wynton Marsalis (in September), and I could think of nothing better than to perform with Allen."

Their friendship rekindled, they began talking about making an album together. The finished product features new versions of seven old Toussaint songs (including a taut, intense "On Your Way Down"), plus five new Costello/Toussaint co-compositions and the new, Costello-written title track. Backing throughout is by the Imposters, joined by the Toussaint-arranged Crescent City Horns.

Several songs can be interpreted as direct comments on New Orleans.

On the title track, Costello sings, "There must be something better than this/I don't see how it can get much worse/What do we have to do, to send the river in reverse?"

On "Broken Promise Land," a co-composition, he seethes, "I swore I'd never walk away, until saw this day/It didn't turn out the way we planned/Now I'm living in Broken Promise Land."

"It's not for me to put myself in the place of people from the city," he says. "I was just standing outside it and trying to imagine what that's like, and trying to imagine how you would feel, if nobody was coming to your aid.

"Also, I simply wanted to make a record that celebrated the best things about Allen's writing. It originally started out to be an Allen Toussaint songbook record because I thought that was a record that should exist. And it was a great way for him to go back to work while he was waiting to go home."

They recorded some of the album in Los Angeles and some in New Orleans.

"When we started to plan the record and to write, we didn't know if we could even enter the city," says Costello. "By the time the (songwriting was) completed, it became apparent that we could indeed go to New Orleans.

"Quite apart from anything else, you're given a budget of money from the record company to go and do the work, and I thought it was correct to spend some of that money in the city to show that it could be done. People should go there and do as much work as they can."
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

Some worthless speculation after a hiatus from the board...I can see Billie Joe wailing out "Lipstick Vogue". It kinda fits the Green Day mold and I can hear him doing "It's youuuuuuuuu" with with a sneer that would appear to be an Elvis parody if it was anyone else doing it. In this case, it would be Billie Joe being Billie Joe.

Fiona would be great doing "Gloomy Sunday" but Elvis doesn't really own that song. I am ashamed to say I don't know a damned thing about Death Cab for Cutie.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

"Some of the choices they went for were really surprising,

This could very interesting. Maybe one of the partipants will be suitably clued in to try and be provacative and suggest Party Party.......and maybe Elvis will have the sense of humour to agree!
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

johnfoyle wrote:
"Some of the choices they went for were really surprising,
This could very interesting. Maybe one of the partipants will be suitably clued in to try and be provacative and suggest Party Party.......and maybe Elvis will have the sense of humour to agree!
I have a feeling he means that they didn't just plump for Alison and Pump It Up.
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

I'm a little slow..... I just realized that VH1 is not showing this live. I trust that the good folks on this list will let fools like me know when it will actually be aired.
Thanks!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Any eagle-eyed types know if this is going to be shown on a Freeview channel in the UK at all?

Cheers,

Neil
-x-
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

wardo68 wrote:I nominate John Lennon as a great rhythm guitarist.
My vote goes to David Byrne (great, although quirky ;) )
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Code: Select all

I'm a little slow..... I just realized that VH1 is not showing this live.
me too, ahawkman.

There is a consolation prize on Saturday - John Prine will be on PBS.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

No news from Atlantic City yet ; however Death Cab for Cutie have in the past covered 'Accidents so maybe they did that last night -

see -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-nA3poTJNJg& ... ab%20cover

Added on April 30, 2006, 12:29 AM

by crunkninja

A rare look behind the scenes - Death Cab for Cutie doing their soundcheck before the concert in Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke.

They're playing a cover of Elvis Costello's "Accidents Will Happen." ...
Brian_Wallace

Post by Brian_Wallace »

Ummm...I didn't really write things down.

The biggest surprise was Billy Joe and Elvis doing "Cheap Reward" acoustic.

The most incredible performance was Fiona Apple doing "I Want You". She also did "Shabby Doll."

The pairings were sort of all over the place. Elvis did one of the artists' songs. The artist did an Elvis song. They did songs together. They did songs at the front of the ellipse, acoustic. Elvis and the Imposters performed by themselves. Death Cab performed by themselves. When it's edited together it should be great.

Death Cab did "Accidents Will Happen", "When I Was Cruel No. 2", and "Kinder Murder."

Fiona Apple looked like a cross between an Olsen twin and Stevie Nicks. Fantastic talent, though.

Billy Joe did "No Action" with the Imposters (Twice. For the cameras. Billy Joe forgot a verse the first time.) Also he and Elvis did "Wake Me Up When September Ends", "Basket Case" and "Good Riddance" together (Plus the aforementioned "Cheap Reward".)

Everyone came out for the encore to do "You Really Got A Hold On Me" and "What's So Funny ('Bout Peace, Love and Understanding)."

A great performance. Once in a lifetime when you consider what went on and the songs performed. I'm glad Elvis's mid-to-late period was represented well (Brutal Youth, two songs from Blood and Chocolate, When I Was Cruel.) I love Elvis to death but I think he may overrate the "war horses" too much ("Pump It Up", "Allison" both done with Billy Joe.) Great songs. But songs he's done after 1979 are great too.

Oh, Billy Joe and Elvis did a blazing "Radio, Radio" together too.

Elvis and the Imposters by themselves did "Uncomplicated", "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes", "Clubland" and a brand new song (according to Elvis.)

I said "Hi" to Pete Thomas before the concert. That was a little fanboy thrill.

I hope someone who was there can clear this up. I've forgotten a lot. Great show but because it was being filmed it was very start and stop. It was tough to get up energy at some points. Sort of "hurry up and wait." Most of the crowd loved it.

It was so touching. I saw a LOT of mothers (and some fathers) there with their sons and daughters. Each were probably there for different artists but it's cool that parents can bond like that.

Great show. Glad I went.

Brian
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

LIKED -

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =123139323

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Radio, Radio
Current mood: excited

My god. Last night was freaking BRILLIANT. Elvis Costello is amazing. Period. I loved the Green Day fans there, though. I didn't mind because...well....I like Green Day, too. But I also love Elvis, so I think I probably enjoyed it a wee bit more than them.

First off, there was a crazy drunken fat lady two rows ahead of us. She was funny, and she made me laugh. I was afraid she was going to eat me though. Security had to come talk to her, and they were all "Yo, stop being drunk" and she was all "-drunken slur-" And they were all "Srsly. Stop." And she was all "OKAYYYYY"

Then I saw the same Securitymanthing in the isle about seven or eight rows ahead of us, I was thinking "Oh, another drunken crazy fat lady that needs to be taken care of?" But no. It was not another drunken crazy fat lady. It was quite the opposite.

Adrienne Armstrong.

Me- "HOLYYYYSHIIIIIIT" -jumps over people and attempts handshake-
People- Wtf?
Me- *shaking* SORRY'SCUSEMESORRYADRIENNNE!!!!

But there were too many people and she had already sat down, so I didn't want to bother Mrs. Luckiestwomanontheplanet.

I kept thinking: Billie stuck his ding-a-ling in her...LUCKYPERSONLADY.

Oh yeah. Mr. Burke was like....five rows ahead of us. He kept seat hopping from the back when there were empty seats. He was all -drinking- and I was all -akward-. I have blackmail footage of him dancin' all crazy during 'Accidents Will Happen'.

Deathcab for Cutie was actually pretty good. They had to start a song over though. Leadsingerman dropped his pick. I actually understand that, though. I do it all the time XDDD.

Fiona Apple. Great singer...but...she looked like she was pitching a spaz on stage. She was flinging her arms around and stuff....it was pretty funny, actually. But she was akward to watch >> <<.

Billie Joe, though. HOLEESHIT. First off, he was wearing this ubertightshirtofsecks, and secondly....he played MY FAVOURITE Elvis Costello songs.

Now, imagine this...Good Riddance as a duet...with Billie Joe and Elvis Costello, Elvis having ganked the second verse. BRILLIANT. They played Wake Me Up When September Ends...and...Elvis did background....it made me cry. I actually almost fell because my knees got weak XD. They also did Basket Case, which Elvispianoplayerman worked in a piano solo. It worked. It worked brilliantly.

But...Billie Joe and Elvis did Alison together. Billie Joe getting the first verse, and Elvis the second. It was AMAZING. Beautiful. I LOVED it. They also did Radio, Radio, which is currently my favourite song evar. They ended with Pump it Up, with everybody coming back on. It was so awesome. I know I missed a lot, but, I didn't post last night, so everything's hazy. Plus I'm hungry and I can't eat...because I'm having bloodwork done. GO BLOODWORK!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DID'NT LIKE -

http://xfreshxtodeath.blogspot.com/2006 ... 07014.html

Saturday, May 20, 2006
Atlantic City, May 2006...Elvis Costello & "Friends"...Death Cab...Green Day...Fiona Apple

Elvis Costello is a musical genius and a talented musician, but his time has come and gone and now he is desperately clinging to his former glory along w/ anything else he possibly can. Yes, he's a great musician, but the concept of his live show was absolutely appalling.

It was mostly middle-aged, mid-life-crisis adults, some w/ children, some w/o, trying to relive their youth and "rock out" and have a good time. There were some MILF's though, and my girl by my side, but other than that the overall environment was fucking lame.

It was taped for VH1 and it was a joke. It felt so fake. The interaction between the audience and the musician was more or less obsolete b/c security was acting as though these moms, dads, and little kids that wanted to dance near the stage, enjoy the music, and be close to the chemistry of this performance were actually some sort of a threat and made them go back to their seats. Wtf is THAT BS!? I've seen kids @ hardcore shows punch musicians in the face and the show still goes on w/o a hitch. All these people wanted to do was some harmless dancing to enjoy themsleves and show their respect to this wonderful performer.

Death Cab played maybe 4(?) of their songs TOPS. Same w/ Fiona Apple. Not only that, but he(Elvis) or his band had to sit in on EVERY one of their songs. Death Cab played "I will follow you into the dark" and Elvis almost ruined it by trying to show up DCFC and Benjamin Gibbard by doing some fancy guitar noodling in the beginning. He sung one of Fiona's best songs(I forget the name) w/o her even on stage. Then he finished the rest of his set w/ Billie Douchebag from Green Day playing most of Green Day's shitty pop-rock-punk-w/e catalogue while the 12-year-old girls went nuts. Elvis got all of the other artist's to contribute to his songs and he did some of his stuff w/ just his band, but none of the other bands got the oppurtunity to perform anything w/o him or his band on stage contributing.

Elvis didn't play "My Funny Valentine", "Watching The Detectives", "Radio, Radio", or even "Shipbuilding".

@ one point Fiona was quoted as saying, "how cool is this"...in reference to Elvis covering one of her songs. Even though it was a decent rendition, her reponse felt contrived and possibly even scripted. It was just one big "Elvis has-been ego trip" that was a ploy to boost his ego and possibly his fading credibility as a solid performer and "rock star". I feel as though rather than giving these acts an opportunity to flourish, he exploited them in every possible manner.

They didn't sell any merch, except $45($40 if you fill out a "coupon" w/ all of your personal info. that they can mail, e-mail, call you w/ for the rest of your life) Elvis T-shirts. I don't think any other bands made any money from this except for Elvis. I asked the merch guy(a Taj Mahal(sp?) employee in a cheesy tux/uniform) why they weren't selling any of the other bands' merch and he gave me the most BS excuse I've EVER heard "it would be too 'CRAZY' if they sold everyone's merch". Psssh w/e, he just didn't want to give anyone else any other options and didn't want to be outsold as the headlining act.
In the immortal words of Jean Grae,
"If there's not competition than what is the fucking point? You can't win by default, unless you're scared of a challenge. It's not really a fair game if you won't allow balance".
I know it's not a "game", but he sure as hell treated it as such.

Like I said before he's made some great music, but Elvis Costello is an egotistical, primadonna and a money-hungry PUSSY.

Advice for his next "Elvis & 'Friends'" performance:
-Collaboration is fine, but keep it to a minimum and give the other acts more time to peform their own music on their own time, w/ something more than just 4-5 short songs.
-Let all acts have an even and fair amount of merchandise for sale
-If it's not causing any harm let the people party/dance/enjoy themselves/etc. as they please and keep the "security" (that only seems to put a wall up between the artist/audience ineteraction and chemistry) to a minimum

I want my $85 x 2 plus a gazillion service charges back or @ least 1/2 of that and some sort of an apology or explanation.

posted by xFreshx To Death @ 2:56 AM
nobodygirl

Post by nobodygirl »

but none of the other bands got the oppurtunity to perform anything w/o him or his band on stage contributing.
Man, that's totally lame! How dare Elvis Costello want to be involved in HIS event.
--RA
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The second blogger doesn't seem to understand the "Decades Rock Live" concept.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =123228657

Saturday, May 20, 2006

appraising precious stones as a metaphor for last night's concert in Atlantic City

Category: Music

so as anybody who's talked to me for the past couple of months know i had tickets for the taping of Vh1 Classic's Decades Rock Live concert in Atlantic City featuring the incomparable Elvis Costello. my ticket was $93 + $25 i dropped in the slot machines and another $25 ticket i'll get for not realizing i was in some kind of EZ Pass tunnel. i'm here to say that it was all worth it.

i never really had any doubts. the concert was all about some of the younger artists all the teeny boppers look up to playing with a legendary icon to hopefully school the younguns though most of them are lost causes (one of the many reasons i intend to avoid fatherhood at all costs). so the special guests who came out and performed with Elvis the name of names were Fiona Apple, Deathcab For Cutie and Billie Joe Armstrong of Greenday. the show was still awesome in spite of the latter. i'll get to that eventually, but first i want to talk about the awesome portions of the evening.

Fiona Apple first off was the main reason i was there aside from Costello. and the only thing that dissapointed me about her was there was no piano out there for her she just sang. and to say "she just sang" is sort of an understatement, but you know what i mean she's an incredible pianist as well, and i was hoping they would showcase that. plus as a guitarist i know i run into the same problem she did when you have to perform sans instrument. you don't know what the hell to do with your arms.

she performed "Shabby Doll" and "I Want You" with Elvis as well as two songs from Extraordinary Machine and Elvis did one of her songs on his own that i'm pretty sure was from When the Pawn... i only own burnt copies of the two albums so i don't know actual titles. this all on it's own was worth the cost of admission, gambling losses, price of gas, ezpass ticket, etc.

Deathcab For Cutie i really knew nothing about so i didn't know what to expect from them. the originals of theirs they did didn't impress me much, but they opened up the show with Elvis doing an awesome version of "Accidents Will Happen" followed by "When I Was Cruel". they covered "Kinder Murder" on their own and did it very well. and then the frontman came out with Elvis again and the two did an acoustic version of "Red Shoes". all pretty fantastic. there was a brief intermission while the gear was changed over from deathcab's to costello's actual band The Imposters. they played a few of their own songs before introducing Fiona Apple. to the best of my recollection they played Uncomplicated, Man Out Of Time, Club Land, and one from the upcoming album that if i had to guess from the repeated line in the chours would be something like "wake me with a slap or a kiss". Then they brought out Fiona Apple which i had already written about.

I had an awesome art teacher in my junior and senior years of high school named Mr. Grace. senior year we were making jewelry and he taught us about what a scam it is cuz there's at least a 200% markup and then we learned about various grades of diamonds and how jewelry stores fool people into thinking lower grade ones are better than they actually are by not putting them near more brilliant stones or around white things to see the dullness by comparison. that was Billie Joe's set.

total blasphemy to think he deserved to share the stage with Elvis. he forgot the words to No Action (twice cuz they attempted to play it again later). and of all the songs they did he chose the most obvious "oh yeah i just own the greatest hits album choices" of Alison, Radio Radio, Pump It Up. and he did them poorly. after the first time he messed up no action and then began playing that shitty when september ends song by himself i went to go gamble. after i felt like the slot machine took enough of my money i returned while Elvis and the Imposters had to lower themselves to playing Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) and Basketcase. and Billie Joe didn't even sing his own stuff well. but after they got his hack ass off the stage they brought out everybody and closed the show with a cover of You Really Got A Hold On Me and What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding?. then my crew and i drove back home, ate at the pank and called it a night.

like i say definitely worth the 93+ dollars i paid, but i've lost a lot of the respect i had for mr. armstrong. the sad thing is he probably didn't leave atlantic city any humbler cuz he had all the little girls who don't know who costello is screaming for him and the radio will continue to play and replay the drivel from american idiot over and over again stealing airtime that should be given to Costello, Apple, The Clash, Tom Waits, or infinite other more deserving artists. Billie Joe is definitely a cubic zirconium to Elvis's diamond.
nobodygirl

Post by nobodygirl »

i've lost a lot of the respect i had for mr. armstrong. the sad thing is he probably didn't leave atlantic city any humbler cuz he had all the little girls who don't know who costello is screaming for him and the radio will continue to play and replay the drivel from american idiot over and over again stealing airtime that should be given to Costello, Apple, The Clash, Tom Waits, or infinite other more deserving artists. Billie Joe is definitely a cubic zirconium to Elvis's diamond.
Never did like Billie Joe or his fans.

And the world would be wonderful if Fiona Apple and Tom Waits got more airtime.
--RA
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

OK, since I'm a moron, somebody please clear my confusion. This was a concert for VH-1 Classic? Which means those of us with only VH-1 will not get to see it?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =123228657

appraising precious stones as a metaphor for last night's concert in Atlantic City

i never really had any doubts. the concert was all about some of the younger artists all the teeny boppers look up to playing with a legendary icon to hopefully school the younguns though most of them are lost causes (one of the many reasons i intend to avoid fatherhood at all costs). so the special guests who came out and performed with Elvis the name of names were Fiona Apple, Deathcab For Cutie and Billie Joe Armstrong of Greenday.
I think that the generation that came before you, thought the same about you and your generation. :)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis and the Imposters had to lower themselves to playing Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) and Basketcase.

I can't wait to hear Elvis' versions of these -

"Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)"

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.

So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth it was worth all the while

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backet Case

Do you have the time
To listen to me whine
About nothing and everything all at once
I am one of those
Melodramatic fools
Neurotic to the bone no doubt about it

Sometimes I give myself the creeps
Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me
It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
Am I just paranoid
Or am I just stoned

I went to a shrink
To analyze my dreams
She says it's lack of sex
That's bringing me down
I went to a whore
He said my life's a bore
So quit my whining cause
It's bringing her down

It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
Am I just paranoid
Or am I just stoned

Grasping to control
So I better hold on

It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
Am I just paranoid
Or am I just stoned
arcadecline

Post by arcadecline »

This is my first time posting but I have been reading for a while. If you want to get a bootleg preview of the show go to youtube.com, type in Elvis Costello, then sort by dates added to get to the videos the fastest. I haven’t watched them but I am going to right now.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Thanks for the tip. The visual portion is nearly worthless (the camera is far from the stage), but the sound is acceptable.

Cheap Reward (listed as Lip Service):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66UIQh-3zog

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoRGvQamQLc

Wake Me Up When September Ends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eGYQzK8kGg
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

William McDermott posts to Costellonews -

EC in AC (with Friends)
Trump Taj Mahal
19 May 2006

1. Accidents Will Happen - Elvis Costello (Guitar) w/Death Cab For
Cutie (Shared Vocal)
2. The New Year - Death Cab For Cutie
3. I Will Follow You Into The Dark - Elvis Costello w/Ben Gibbard of
DCFC (Acoustic Guitars/Shared Vocal)
4. (Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes - Elvis Costello w/Ben Gibbard of
DCFC (Acoustic Guitars/Shared Vocal)
5. Crooked Teeth -“ Death Cab For Cutie
6. Kinder Murder - Death Cab For Cutie
7. When I Was Cruel - Elvis Costello (Guitar) w/Death Cab For Cutie
(Shared Vocal)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. Uncomplicated - Elvis Costello & the Imposters
9. Man Out Of Time - Elvis Costello & the Imposters
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10. Shabby Doll - Elvis Costello & the Imposters w/Fiona Apple (Shared
Vocal)
11. I Know - Elvis Costello & the Imposters
12. Tymps - Elvis Costello & the Imposters w/Fiona Apple (Lead Vocal)
13. I Want You - Elvis Costello & the Imposters w/Fiona Apple (Lead
Vocal)
14. Red Red Red - Elvis Costello & the Imposters w/Fiona Apple (Shared
Vocal)
15. River In Reverse - Elvis Costello & the Imposters
16. Clubland - Elvis Costello & the Imposters
17. No Action - Elvis Costello & the Imposters w/Billie Joe Armstrong
(Guitar/Shared Vocal)
18. Wake Me Up When September Ends - Elvis Costello & the Imposters
w/Billie Joe Armstrong (Guitar/Shared Vocal)
19. Cheap Reward - Elvis Costello w/Billie Joe Armstrong (Acoustic
Guitars/Shared Vocal)
20. Good Riddance (Time Of Our Life) - Elvis Costello w/Billie Joe
Armstrong (Acoustic Guitars/Shared Vocal)
21. Alison - Elvis Costello w/Billie Joe Armstrong (Acoustic
Guitars/Shared Vocal)
22. No Action - Elvis Costello & the Imposters w/Billie Joe Armstrong
(Guitar/Lead Vocal)
23. Basket Case - Elvis Costello & the Imposters w/Billie Joe Armstrong
(Guitar/Lead Vocal)
24. Radio Radio - Elvis Costello & the Imposters w/Billie Joe Armstrong
(Guitar)
25. Pump It Up - Elvis Costello & the Imposters w/Billie Joe Armstrong
(Guitar)
26. You Really Got A Hold On Me All
27. (What's So Funny ËœBout) Peace, Love & Understanding - All
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I was at the show and I've been reading all the comments......incidentally, blogger #2 above is crocked. The show was INCREDIBLE! I spent a lot of money for the eight seats I bought and the t-shirt I bought, but it was totally worth it. (Brought the whole family, except for my little one and my son had two friends along. We had quite a range in ages....43, 22, 17 all the way down to 13.) Yes, a once in a lifetime. I've seen EC many, many times all throughout his career and this show ranks up there as one of the best. The song choices were right on.
Fiona's I Want You gave me chills and Shabby Doll was incredible.....but you'll see when it airs on tv. Fiona's got a really big voice. She was totally holding back.. Her song choices were so excellent. She really did those songs justice.
DeathCab blew me away with Kinder Murder, I love that song and also with their song I Will Follow You Into The Dark. Great song.
Clearly the crowd was pumped to see Billie Joe and that's okay. I've always been a big fan. He looked to be having a lot of fun. No Action.....great choice, great song...twice 8) .
So, in a nutshell....it was expensive. The price of the t-shirt really pissed me off, but it was a really nice shirt.
It was a weird "production" with the tv thing, but it turned out to be just fine after they got going. The big delay seemed to be getting DeathCab off and getting the Imposters on.
Yes, the crowd was eclectic but I thought, were having a pretty good time despite the stop and start there for a while. It was your typical Elvis crowd plus. Oh yeah, lots of drunks all over the place.
It was an incredible show. Elvis was in a great mood and the song choices were a real treat. Hope it comes off on tv as well as it made you feel when you were there. So glad I was there.
I'm not angry anymore....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/ledger/ ... xml&coll=1

Apple taps core of Costello

Shared fascination with romantic obsession spurs intense performance in Atlantic City

Monday, May 22, 2006

BY BRADLEY BAMBARGER
Star-Ledger Staff

POP/ROCK

When wondering beforehand who would strike the most sparks with Elvis Costello -- the latest veteran talent feted in VH1 Classic's tribute series "Decades Rock Live"-- it seemed that Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong would be that guest, or maybe the young rock combo Death Cab for Cutie.

But as soon as Fiona Apple bit into Costello's "Shabby Doll" during the show's taping Friday at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, it was apparent that these two were the kindred spirits.

The 29-year-old Apple, singing alongside Costello and his band, the Imposters, helped transform his dark baroque pop tune "Shabby Doll" into an even darker soul song; as she seethed out the line "he's all pride and no joy," it sounded just like one of her own pithy kiss-offs.

Romantic obsession was a field well-tilled by Costello in his early days, and Apple is no stranger to such emotions in her work. She not only sang his desperate epic "I Want You," she groaned and keened as if his 20-year-old emotions were hers today. Costello was obviously charged by her arm-flailing intensity, playing an outrageously dissonant guitar solo.

Unlike many of his peers who came up in the late '70s, Costello has remained a blue-chip artist. The depth of his talent -- reinforced Friday by barbed performance of his new song "The River in Reverse" -- is the key reason for his staying power, of course. But his questing enthusiasm for collaboration has been vital, too. He didn't merely accept homage from Apple and the others; the 51-year-old delved into their songbooks, too.

Costello gave Apple's ballad "I Know" an after-hours R&B feel, and the pair communed over her bared-nerve torch song "Red Red," with Costello howling like he was at the end of his rope. Afterward, the slight Apple was hopping with excitement, gushing to the crowd, "Can you imagine how cool I feel right now?"

Opening the show, Death Cab for Cutie was its urgent, melodic best on the band's "The New Year," but Ben Gibbard's warbling voice tended to defang such Costello covers as "Kinder Murder." Better was Death Cab's subtle backing of Costello on "When I Was Cruel," his noir-hued recollection of youthful spite.

Along with the usual delays and hype of a TV taping, the audience had to endure the execrable acoustics of the Mark Etess Arena. (Previous "Decades Rock" shows have been devoted to Heart, Cyndi Lauper and Bonnie Raitt; the arena appeared less than two-thirds full for Friday's taping, so word may be out about the venue's shortcomings.) Still, nothing could mute the hero's welcome that hundreds of young girls gave Armstrong.

The Green Day singer ripped through a wonderfully punkish version of Costello's "No Action" in league with the songwriter and his band. It was also fun to hear the Imposters sink their teeth into such Green Day anthems as "Wake Me Up When September Ends." Armstrong joined Costello for an acoustic set, but this felt forced, as they stumbled through a countrified take on Costello's "Lip Service."

The all-hands finale was far better than such features usually are, with Apple's voice ringing out of the chorus for Smokey Robinson's "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" and everyone chanting along to Costello's classic version of Nick Lowe's "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?"

The date of the Costello show's broadcast hasn't been announced. The next "Decades Rock Live" taping at the Taj Mahal is June 23, revolving around Lynyrd Skynyrd.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news ... 636590.htm

Mon, May. 22, 2006

Costello celebrated at Trump

By Dan DeLuca
Philadelphia Inquirer Music Critic

There's no telling who Elvis Costello will be standing next to on stage. Last year, the bespectacled Brit toured with Emmylou Harris. This year, he put out an album with Holland's Metropole Orkest. Next month, he releases The River in Reverse, with New Orleans piano man Allen Toussaint.

On Friday at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, the 51-year-old songwriter performed with his band, the Imposters, while being celebrated by a troika decades younger than he: indie popsters Death Cab for Cutie, husky-voiced waif Fiona Apple, and Green Day singer Billie Joe Armstrong, who pulled the elementary school contingent into the multigenerational crowd.

Credit VH1's Decades Rock Live series for arranging the occasion. And blame the cabler for the taping delay, which will ensure that when the concert finally airs, the half-full, lousy-sounding Mark G. Etess Arena will be magically transformed into a polished show at The Perfect Concert Hall.

But enough bickering. The show was smartly conceived, the material well-chosen. Death Cab's Ben Gibbard came off like a dweeb by asking to restart a song because "I dropped my pick." That won't make the final cut. A forceful version of Costello's "Kinder Murder" and strummy duet on his own "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" will, deservedly so.

Death Cab represents the mild influence of Costello's verbally rich rock. Apple covers the dark side. Looking like a pint-sized Morticia Adams in a purple dress, she nearly stole the show from the gracious host she so obviously adores.

Costello made her gloriously good "I Know" his own. The two paired off on his "Shabby Doll" and her "Tymps (The Sick in the Head Song)," assisted by Imposters keyboard whiz Steve Nieve. The evening's highlight was Apple's hellacious interpretation of Costello's "I Want You," a song about obsessive, vindictive love. She knocked it out of the park.

Armstrong brought the crowd to its feet, joining with Costello on "No Action," an acoustic "Alison," and bruising "Pump It Up," as well as on the Green Day hits "Wake Me Up When September Ends," and "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)."

As with all the other guests, Armstrong's affection for Costello seemed genuine, and the admiration mutual. All the younguns came back for an encore of enduring songs none of them wrote: Smokey Robinson's "You Really Got a Hold on Me" and Nick Lowe's "(What So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact music critic Dan DeLuca at 215-854-5628 or ddeluca@phillynews.com.