NOLA JazzFest or Bust

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

NOLA JazzFest or Bust

Post by ice nine »

Is anyone going? I will be going the second weekend. I couldn't get the first weekend of the JazzFest off, so instead of seeing Elvis, Bob Dylan, etc. I will see Jimmy Buffet, Paul Simon, Little Feat, etc. I've never been to JazzFest before so if someone has any suggestions or advice I'll take it. If anyone else is going this weekend I would be glad to meet up with anyone and buy them a beer and/or a shot.

I'm going down on the 4th and so I purchased tickets to see The Dirty Dozen Brass Band at Tipitina's. (Isn't the internet wonderful?)
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

You will love the Dirty Dozen (and Tipitina's!). Aside from the places we have PMd about, definitely go to Liuzza's by the Track (very near the Fest entrance/exit). It's on Ponce DeLeon, one block off Esplanade. Beers and bloody marys are outstanding. You'll have a great time. Please, please, please eat some crawfish bread for me at the Fest. I could live off that stuff.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Just put the finishing touches on my plans. It's looking like it will be a great time!!! I arrive on Thurs. and later that night I will see Allen Toussaint at 8pm @Snug Harbor (small jazz club) than I immediately go to the famous Tipitina's to see the Dirty Dozen Brass Band at 10pm. Then it is festival time where I will see as many artists as I can. On Sunday after the JF I will see Buddy Guy w/Shannon MacNally @HOB. (I've never heard of Shannon, but if she's in good with Buddy she's in good with me.)

I'm keeping Fri. and Sat. night open to take me where the wind blows. The wind may blow to either Sonny Landreath or Los Lobos on Fri. and Cowboy Mouth on Sat.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Lucky barstid.

The closest I'll come to New Orleans is the Indy Jazz Fest in June: the Wynton Marsalis Septet (eee!), the Neville Brothers (Eeeeee!!) and Dr. John (EEEE!!!!), all on one day. Bonnie Raitt is playing the Fest the evening before that as well. Indy's kinda cool sometimes!!
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
migdd

Post by migdd »

Wow! A choice of either Los Lobos or Sonny Landreth on the same night!!! Ice, man, how can a mere mortal decide????!!!!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Now you see my dilemma.
- M. Twain
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Now you see my dilemma.
- M. Twain
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I for one see your dilemma twice.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

The lineup for the first weekend is just amazing. Dylan, Costello and Toussaint, Springsteen, Galactic, Cowboy Mouth, Anders Osborne and literally a hundred others. Godspeed my friend, and once again, don't forget the crawfish bread!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I'm off to the 'Big Easy' tomorrow. Very excited here. I'll report when I get back.
- M. Twain