At War With The Mystics

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

At War With The Mystics

Post by Mike Boom »

The Flaming Lips bring the cosmic funk! According to Wayne Coyne they've been listening to a lot of Parliament and Funkadelic and it shows, not overly so, but in a way that works really well, like on "Mr Ambulance Driver", which grooves along on a subtle but funky guitar riff. A definite departure from Yoshimi , a darker vibe, and a little rougher around the edges, still a great sense of fun though and a child like glee in experimentations with sound, which they have always had.

"Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung" reminds me of a Pink Floyd song that I can't quite put my finger on, and is really epic. Thank god there are still bands around like this. I just hope the live show comes to Dallas - the last time I saw them at the Auckland Big Day Out festival they were so much fun it must have been illegal , and I need an excuse to wear my fluffy bunny suit.

Anyone else heard this yet?
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hope to pick it up this weekend Mike. Sounds promising.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I love those guys and it's on my list but I'm probably gonna have to wait till next month because I am on a self-imposed cd buying hiatus for April. The thing I don't get is, you pay rent and then the next month they want you to pay them again.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

I want to get this, but I thought they were going to release it at the same time in 5.1, like Bulletin & Yoshimi. I don't really want to buy it twice. I'm in Houston and hope they come through too. They're playing Austin City Limits festival, so I'd guess at least one more texas show...
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
little martinet

Post by little martinet »

I was listening to some snippets on iTunes last night (I could spend hours doing that, btw!)...it sounds really good, but I am a poor student and can't afford to buy any new music right now. It's killing me.