Elvis plays "Hollywood Meets Motown", NY, March 15 '06

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis plays "Hollywood Meets Motown", NY, March 15 '06

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/152439 ... lines=true

... LL Cool J, John Legend, Sheryl Crow, Elvis Costello, Jimmy Fallon, Tina Fey, Robert De Niro, Whoopi Goldberg, Chaka Khan, the Bacon Brothers, Tony Bennett, Smokey Robinson, Dream Theater keyboardist Jordan Rudess, Chris Botti and New York Giant Tiki Barber will perform songs from Motown's golden era March 15 during "Hollywood Meets Motown." The benefit will raise funds for the Jay Monahan Center for Gastrointestinal Health and the Entertainment Industry Foundation's National Colorectal Cancer Research Alliance. Katie Couric co-founded the NCRA, and the center was named in honor of her late husband. Tickets for the benefit, which will take place at the Grand Ballroom of the Waldorf-Astoria in New York, are available through the Entertainment Industry Foundation's Web site. ..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'$2500'!!!

http://www.eifoundation.com/events/hmm_2006.html

Join Katie Couric, the Entertainment Industry
Foundation, and the benefit co-chairs at the
Waldorff-Astoria in New York for a gala performance
benfiting the Jay Monahan Center for Gastrointestinal
Health and EIF's National Colorectal Cancer Research
Alliance

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Tickets begin at $2500, limited seats available

To purchase tickets, please contact Debbie Fife at
debbief@eventassociatesinc.com.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Tickets begin at $2500. I wonder how "limited" the seats are.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187627,00.html

Katie Couric's Ex-Beau Will Play at Soul Night

The Waldorf Astoria ballroom is rockin' tonight with the annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame dinner and it should be a curious event considering that the Sex Pistols took themselves out of it, Miles Davis is dead and nearly all of Lynyrd Skynyrd's original members are in heaven. At least Debbie Harry, Chris Stein and Blondie will be able to put on a full show if the audience gets bored.

But the Waldorf will rock again on Wednesday night for some Hollywood Meets Motown. Right now, one of the scheduled performers is Katie Couric's ex-boyfriend Chris Botti. The twist here (or maybe the PR hook) is that the charity is Katie's colorectal cancer benefit, honoring the memory of her husband Jay Monahan .

Right now, the show is supposed to start with Matt Lauer, Al Roker, Katie Couric and Ann Curry introducing Martha and the Vandellas. It won't be the real group — even though Martha is available — but Chaka Khan, Whoopi Goldberg and Martina McBride , who are scheduled to perform several Vandellas hits.

There are several other surprises too: Tony Bennett, Elvis Costello, Mary J. Blige, Michael McDonald and James Taylor have all signed up to sing Motown hits for the night.

Ironically, the only actual Motown-related act of the night is Valerie Simpson and Nik Ashford , who wrote many of the famed label's greatest hits. They'll perform some of them, like "Ain't No Mountain High Enough."

You can read all about Katie's group at http://www.eif.org, but they won't tell you that Botti will be performing with John Legend or that Tony Bennett and a surprise guest are scheduled to be paired in a tribute to Stevie Wonder. I know who the mystery man is, but I don't want to give Katie a stroke this morning by revealing his name.

You also won't read that Elmo and the Muppets are set to reproduce Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 's hits. (They should have had Elmo do the soul song, "I'm Your Puppet." It would have been a little more savory, I think.)

Some non-singing guests at the show, they say: Robert DeNiro, Jimmy Fallon, Rosario Dawson, Tina Fey (whom I think should leave Saturday Night Live now, before it gets worse — if that's possible), Greg Kinnear and Kevin Bacon. Rappers Ludacris and LL Cool J are also penciled in.

Donald Trump is going to introduce the Isley Brothers' portion of the night. It's too bad the Isleys didn't record "Who's That Lady" for Motown.Melanie, Marla and Ivana could have done back up vocals.

But all eyes will be on Katie, that's for sure, and who from CBS and NBC shows up — and where they are seated. I think the funniest scenario would be Katie having CBS's current anchor Bob Schieffer on one side and NBC's Brian Williams (for balance) on the other. Maybe they can all join Elvis Costello when he croons "Ain't That Peculiar."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marvin Gaye - Ain't That Peculiar

(William "Smokey" Robinson/Marvin Tarplin/Robert Rogers/Warren
Moore)

Honey you do me wrong but still i'm crazy about you
Stay away too long and i can't do without you
Every chance you get you seem to hurt me more and more
But each hurt makes my love stronger than before
I know flowers go through rain
But how can love go through pain
Ain't that peculiar
A peculiar ality
Ain't that peculiar baby
Peculiar as can be
You tell me lies that should be obvious to me
I've been so much in love with you baby til i don't wanna see
That things you do and say are designed to make me blue
It's a dog gone shame my love for you makes all
Your lies seem true
But if the truth makes love last longer
Why do lies make my love stronger
Ain't that peculiar
A peculiar ality
Ain't that peculiar baby
Peculiar as can be
I cried so much just like a child thats lost its home
Maybe baby you think these tears i cry are tears of joy
A child can cry so much until you do everything they say
But unlike a child my tears don't help me to get my way
I know love can last through years
But how can love last through tears
(repeat chorus)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.elviscostello.info/faq/musical_allusions.php

From A Whisper To A Scream

the background instrumentation during the verse is highly reminiscent of the same for Marvin Gaye's 'Ain't That Peculiar'
Masterpiece?

Re: Elvis plays "Hollywood Meets Motown", NY, Marc

Post by Masterpiece? »

johnfoyle wrote:Tickets begin at $2500
Well...guess I won't be taking the night off from work after all.
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing ... &logsrch=1

Elvis Costello and Katie Couric

Tina Fey and Elvis Costello

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/200 ... OE=LIFISVA

Posted 3/15/2006 10:38 PM

Couric brings out stars
By Donna Freydkin, USA TODAY

NEW YORK — If you're trying to drum up cash for a cause, it helps to be Katie Couric.

The Today show co-host brought out musical stars Wednesday night to the Waldorf-Astoria hotel for her annual bash, which raises money for the Entertainment Industry Foundation's National Colorectal Cancer Research Alliance and the Jay Monahan Center for Gastrointestinal Health at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. Monahan, Couric's husband, died of colon cancer in 1998 at age 42.

The theme this year? Hollywood meets Motown. The turnout? Some of music's biggest names, including James Taylor, Elvis Costello, Mary J. Blige and Chaka Khan.

"I beg. I call. I badger. I cajole," Couric said on the red carpet when asked about her recruitment technique. "Part of the secret is everyone has fun and that's really motivating."

And here are what some of the guests had to say about their hostess:

• Ann Curry, greeted her Today show colleague on the red carpet. "You are so beautiful," She said to Couric, who was wearing Carmen Marc Volvo.

• Jimmy Fallon said "I love her." The former Saturday Night Live cast member added, "She called me. I don't even know how she had my number. I think Al Roker gave it to her." In fact, Couric said SNL's Tina Fey gave his number to her.

• Jazz musician Chris Botti, who once dated Couric, walked down the carpet. "I'm here to support Katie," he said.

• Broadway and movie actress Idina Menzel said she just had to show up. Couric "wrote this beautiful personal e-mail, and it was such an honor."

• Costello noted he was happy to make a contribution to the benefit. "I've been asked to sing and that's what I do," he said. "People come (to this event) for all the right reasons." Later, he performed a song by Marvin Gaye and received a standing ovation.

• R&B singer Blige agreed, "Anything like this that I can lend my image to, I'm there."

Conan O'Brian emceed the auction, which is ironic given that he's "the whitest man in America," he said, referring to the Motown theme.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Anyone know which song Elvis sang?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

According to that Fox News article, "Ain't That Peculiar," but that may have just been speculation.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Oh yeah, sorry - missed that bit of the thread. Never heard the song.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

:lol: :wink:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Neil. wrote:Oh yeah, sorry - missed that bit of the thread. Never heard the song.
You're missing out... one of Marvin Gaye's very best. It's on most of his greatest hits compilations, so check it out when you get a chance.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,188069,00.html

Roger Friedman writes

( extract)

But I've skipped the show, which I hope was taped but I fear was not. There were just some sensational performances, including Sting on Stevie Wonder's "Signed Sealed Delivered," Costello really doing justice to "Ain't that Peculiar," Mary J. Blige swallowing and spitting out "If I Were Your Woman" with ferocity and Chaka Khan in her best voice in years soaring through "What's Going On?"

She brought the mostly white audience to its knees — a fact that fed Jimmy Fallon's best line of the night when he asked everyone to sing along to "Endless Love" with him and Tina Fey. "Just the white people," he said, meaning everyone. Fallon and Fey's number was splendid, right out of Nichols and May's old playbook — they should do more of it.

But then there was Tony Bennett, who followed Sting — not easy — by singing "For Once in My Life" out of the Stevie Wonder songbook. Bennett told the audience that he'd actually introduced the song in the '60s before a very young Stevie made his harmonica-driven hit version.

Bennett will be 80 in August, but let me tell you: his voice is more gorgeous than ever. In the middle of a night of power pop, he just took the microphone and transformed the event. Bravo!

There were some difficult moments, but with so many guests that's why you hire Nile Rodgers and his crack team of musicians and singers, including Fonzie Thornton and Silver Logan Sharpe.

James Taylor — who was supposed to sing "How Sweet It Is" — was not exactly right for Junior Walker's "I'm a Road Runner." John Legend was well-suited to the Temptations' "Just My Imagination," but Chris Botti's horn playing was a little disappointing after hearing Wallace Roney on the same stage two nights ago.

And then there was what you might call "real" Motown. Ashford & Simpson, who could have been more prominent since they wrote so many of the label's hits, delivered "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" and "You're All I Need to Get By" with soulful panache.

Michael McDonald, who's released two volumes of Motown albums, cannot be beat for his versions of the Four Tops' "Reach Out I'll Be There" and "Baby I Need Your Loving." He got the staid, moneyed crowd off its feet for the first time with the Temptations "Ain't Too Proud to Beg."

There were odd moments, especially when Katie's "Today" show comrade Matt Lauer, going off the cue cards, reminisced about trying to seduce a beautiful but clueless girl in his apartment while "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" was playing in the background.

"I can't believe they made a record out of that raisin commercial," the girl told Matt, who grinned nostalgically as he recounted the episode. "She was very good-looking," Matt concluded, as if to say that made up for her not being bright.

Even in the fun, there were also a couple of strange digressions. When they asked all the survivor cancer patients to stand, and the doctors working on cancer research, their really bad tables became quickly evident.

The very first survivor who'd passed through Couric's Jay Monahan clinic, a New York city judge, had the absolutely worst and last seat at the back of the room, hidden by a post.

Another survivor, a major TV exec, was stashed with his wife in the third tier — and they paid for their tickets themselves, not their network.

But these are the things that are tweaked from year to year. At this point, Couric has got the big issues nailed down. She even chose Mary J. Blige's song — and it was a rare success for the hip-hop queen, who usually cannot do cover songs.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... 10308/1123
( extract)

. And last night, I sang two Motown songs on a Motown colon cancer benefit organized by Katie Couric.

"I mean, I'm having a ball.

As a lifelong music fan, do you still get starstruck or a bit nervous playing with a legend like Toussaint?

"Well, I mean, yeah. I'd met Allen before in the '80s, so I did know him a little bit. But I have to say, when I was rehearsing yesterday at this big gala — and there's everybody from Tony Bennett to Sting to the Muppets on the bill and we're all singing Motown songs, and I'm there singing 'Bernadette' — and I look down at the audience and there's Smokey Robinson? Yeah! (Laughs.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bernadette

The Four Tops

Written by Holland- Dozier- Holland

Bernadette, people are searchin' for
the kind of love that we possess.
Some go on searchin' their whole life through
and never find the love I've found in you.

And when I speak of you I see envy in other men's eyes,
and I'm well aware of what's on their minds.
They pretend to be my friend, when all the time
they long to persuade you from my side.
They'd give the world and all they own
for just one moment we have known.

Bernadette, they want you because of the pride that gives,
But Bernadette, I want you because I need you to live.
But while I live only to hold you,
Some other men, they long to control you.
But how can they control you Bernadette,
when they can not control themselves, Bernadette,
from wanting you, needing you,
But darling you belong to me.

I'll tell the world you belong to me,
I'll tell the world, you're the soul of me,
I'll tell the world you're a part of me.

In your arms I find the kind of peace of mind
the world is searching for,
But you, you give me the joy this heart of mine
has always been longing for.

In you I have what other men long for.
All men need someone to worship and adore,
that's why I treasure you and place you high above,
for the only joy in life is to be loved.
So whatever you do, Bernadette, keep on loving me,
Bernadette, keep on needing me,
Bernadette.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00016 ... nce&n=5174

50th Anniversary Anthology [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
The Four Tops

# Audio CD (January 13, 2004)
# Original Release Date: 2000
# Number of Discs: 2
# Format: Original recording remastered
# Label: Hip-O Records

Disc: 1

11. Bernadette
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wow! What beautiful lyrics.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... 12?ie=UTF8

The Shadows of Love: Jon Savage's Intense Tamla 1966-1968

~ Various Artists (Artist)

# Audio CD (2 Oct 2006)
# Number of Discs: 1
# Label: Island

11. Four Tops - Bernadette (Original Version)

Tracklisting -

http://www.7digital.com/stores/productD ... sid=485824
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Bernadette" is probably in my Top 5 Motown songs... a brilliant piece of work by one of the most underrated songwriting teams of all-time. Would love to hear Elvis' version if anyone has a recording.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis plays "Hollywood Meets Motown", NY, March 15

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.avclub.com/content/blog/levi ... e=from_tag

Levi Stubbs: An appreciation

posted by: Steve Hyden
October 19, 2008 - 3:03pm

As regular A.V. Club readers already know, one of my favorite singers ever, Levi Stubbs of The Four Tops, died in his sleep Friday at the age of 72. He was battling multiple illnesses, including cancer and a debilitating stroke. It was a tough end for one of Motown’s toughest vocalists. Stubbs’ final years, in a sense, were a realization of what he had fought against for so long in his music.

In his prime Stubbs sang with a gruff passion that belied a seemingly bottomless fear of loss. Only Otis Redding was better at reconciling a vocal style that asserted über-macho masculinity with songs that begged, pleaded, demanded that he not be abandoned to a life without love and happiness. That sounds pretty grandiose, but Stubbs’s fear manifested itself in ways anyone could relate to. (Like in “Baby I Need Your Loving” where he yearns for his heart to be put at ease so he can get some damn sleep already.) For Stubbs, who sang like a man’s man while expressing weakness and an almost neurotic neediness, life and death hinged on whether his all-consuming love was returned. (Which is pretty much true for all of us, isn’t it?) Stubbs might have lost his power as a singer by the time he died, but he never lost the truth, and that truth will always be there for anyone who wants to listen to it.

We’ve all heard Stubbs on “Reach Out I’ll Be There” and “Standing In The Shadows Of Love” and “Bernadette” and several other played-to-death hits, but how many times have we listened? Motown is so ingrained in pop culture that getting around the baggage that gets attached to an artist like Stubbs can be impossible. How many lame movie montages have been set to “I Can’t Help Myself”? How many dopey products have been sold with “Baby I Need Your Loving”? Is it possible to still find the haunted-sounding man losing his mind on some of the best pop songs ever written by one of pop’s best songwriting teams, the incomparable Holland-Dozier-Holland? Or are we stuck with the California Raisins every time Stubbs gets his two and a half minute on the radio?

Honestly, many people can’t see past the baggage. But watch out--Stubbs has a way of sneaking up on you. I’ll never forget the time I heard “Bernadette” for the billionth time on some anonymous oldie station during a late night drive, and realized that—holy shit!--this was the greatest pop song I had ever heard. I couldn’t believe all that I had missed the other 999,999,999 times I came across “Bernadette.” The opening Psycho strings, the chilling lyric about an unhealthy romantic obsession, and, best of all, Stubbs’ courageous vocal performance—this song laid out the insecurity, jealousy, and hatred lurking in the “shadows of love” that Stubbs seemed all too familiar with. All of a sudden I realized that a lot of other Holland-Dozier-Holland songs written for The Four Tops put creepy words in Stubbs’ mouth (“Baby, I need your loving, got to have all your loving”). But “Bernadette” was a culmination, a twisted recrimination that suddenly played like the bitterest Elvis Costello track Elvis Costello never wrote.

“And when I speak of you I see envy in other men’s eyes, and I’m well aware of what’s on their minds.,” he hollered, and I could feel the heat of his rapid breathing against my neck. A minute or so later the floor dropped out of the song, and it was like the world ended for a second. “Bernadette!” Stubbs screamed from out of the silence, emerging from a bad dream he was living and wouldn’t let himself escape. “So whatever you do, Bernadette, keep on loving me, Bernadette, keep on needing me!” He was trailing off now, and he sounded like he’d really been alone the whole time.

We’ve all been Levi Stubbs in this song, and we’ve all probably been Bernadette. If “Bernadette” weren’t such an incredible song, you’d want to file a restraining order against it. As it is, I could hear it every day and never tire of Stubbs’ unhinged desperation. I hope you rest in peace, Levi, and that your music never does.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis plays "Hollywood Meets Motown", NY, March 15 '06

Post by johnfoyle »

From an account of this -
There were some difficult moments, but with so many guests that's why you hire Nile Rodgers and his crack team of musicians and singers, including Fonzie Thornton and Silver Logan Sharpe.
Is this only time Elvis has worked with Nile Rodgers?

Whatever - a good enough reason to share this worrying news from Nile's blog -

http://nilerodgers.com/blog/walking-on-planet-c#

Walking on Planet C

10 January 2011
(extract)

On October 27, 2010, I found out I had aggressive cancer. In an instant, everything in my happy-music universe imploded. It was like Jaws was savagely eating me from the inside out. My biopsy showed that I had to make some important decisions... fast. After consulting with numerous doctors, I decided to have radical surgery to try and remove the cancer in its entirety. I told only a handful of people because I didn't want to worry anyone, especially, my family around the holidays. I did everything as usual - as best I could - until one day I couldn't. My hand had sudden muscle loss and a number of stressful events followed. I've just returned home from the hospital and want to explain my recent disappearance to everybody and share my appreciation of life, music and people.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Nile Rodgers posted a mysterious photo of "Elvis Costello at rehearsal today" last April.
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 25#p132716

They may have just been in the same place at the same time rather than working together.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Marv Tarplin co-wrote at least three songs Elvis has covered: "Tracks Of My Tears," "Ain't That Peculiar," and "One More Heartache."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110930 ... dies-at-70

Miracles guitarist Tarplin, co-writer of “Tracks of My Tears” dies at 70

Susan Whitall/ Detroit News Music Writer

Motown's Marv Tarplin, who as a guitarist and songwriter was a vital part of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' sound, has died.

The Atlanta, Ga. native was 70 and living in Las Vegas at the time of his death. Details of when and how are still sketchy, but Jeanne Sorensen, who books engagements for the Miracles today out of Metro Detroit, said that Tarplin's daughter Talese Tarplin confirmed that her father died in Las Vegas. Marv Tarplin left Michigan, and the Miracles, in 1973.

Billy Wilson of the Motown Alumni Association sent out an email alert late Friday afternoon that Tarplin had died, lauding him as the Miracles' "secret weapon."

"I've known Marv since I was 15," Sorensen said. "The Miracles were playing in New York, where I grew up, and I went to the Brooklyn Fox to see them. End of story, I was Miraclized."

Unlike most Motown studio musicians, who stayed in the "Snakepit" at Hitsville on West Grand Boulevard from the beginning, Tarplin was a full-fledged member of the Miracles, recording and touring with them, and appearing on album covers as a member of the group.

While Tarplin was briefly with the Supremes, in their early, Primettes days, Robinson liked his guitar sound and grabbed him for the group. Tarplin was with the Miracles from their first Motown recordings in the late '50s.

He was vital to the group's sound not only as a guitarist, but because he co-wrote many Miracles hits with Robinson, including "The Tracks of My Tears," "Going to a Go-Go," and "The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage." Tarplin also co-wrote (with Robinson), "Ain't That Peculiar" and "I'll Be Doggone," for Marvin Gaye.

Reluctantly, Tarplin moved out to California from Detroit along with Robinson in 1973, and he continued to tour and co-write with Robinson, working on "Cruisin'" and "Being With You" with him.

Since retiring from touring with Robinson in 2008, Tarplin lived a quiet life in Las Vegas. "Marvin was a gentleman, very private. That's what was endearing about him," said Sorensen.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/nilerodgers/status/ ... 2955127809

The news about Elvis & Nile Rodgers getting a songwriters award has prompted Nile to tweet a message to Elvis , reminding him of Elvis singing Bernadette at this show.

Elvis tweeted back -

I certainly do, thanks to you. I also recall us all being on that daft lip-syncing Dutch pop show in '79.

Maybe it'll prompt someone to release any recording of this show.