EC on VH1 Classic "Decades Rock Live" May 19, 2006

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

EC on VH1 Classic "Decades Rock Live" May 19, 2006

Post by And No Coffee Table »

From the Los Angeles Times:

The reunited Alice in Chains (with guest singers to be announced filling the place of the late Layne Staley) will team with longtime Seattle friends Heart for an edition of VH1's "Decades Rock Live" series set to debut Feb. 15. Other additions to the series, which reaches across generations and genres in matching stars with special guests, include Sheryl Crow (April 17), Elvis Costello (May 19), Lynyrd Skynyrd (June 23) and Joe Cocker (July 21), each with collaborators to be scheduled.
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Thu May 18, 2006 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.decadesrocklive.com/artists/ ... stello.php

"Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong, Death Cab For Cutie & Fiona Apple will be among the eclectic mix of musicians paying tribute to Elvis Costello at Atlantic City, New Jersey’s Trump Taj Mahal on May 19, 2006."

ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

Stuff like this is why I give thanks every day for the internet. I would have almost certainly missed this in the"old days".
Brian_Wallace

Post by Brian_Wallace »

Hello. I know this is a highly suspicious request considering this is my FIRST post on this forum but I just discovered it. I've poked around a bit. I'm a huge Elvis fan and (don't kill me) I usually just check elviscostello.info for any news.

I'm a devoted fan. I last saw Elvis last year at the Tower with Emmylou Harris. Just amazing. Cried twice ("Love Hurts" and, well it's a little embarrassing, "Pancho and Lefty.") I've seen him about ten times over the past, gosh, twenty years?

I live around the Philly area (I got to see the instore he did for "When I Was Cruel" at the Tower Records on the Avenue of the Arts) and usually don't have enough $$$ to go to a lot of Elvis shows but I may be able to swing the $90+ for this. Tax refund.

Apparently, there are three things they are doing with this. A "radio presale" that starts at 10:00 P.M. Friday (March 10th). An auction thing where they are auctioning off 20 sets of tickets to the highest bidder starting at 1:00 P.M. Friday. Then the general public onsale is Saturday (March 11th) at 12:00 P.M. It's all laid out here:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/02003 ... orcatid=60

I swear I'm not a scalper. Does anyone know what the "radio sale" password is? Is anyone on this message board planning on going to this? If you don't know the password or don't want to share I understand. Good luck to everyone trying to get tickets. How big is the Tah Mahal anyway?

I do plan to post whenever it's applicable on this message board. I know it sounds shady that I'm asking for something to do with tickets in my first post but I am being honest.

So if anyone knows the presale password and would like to share my email address is Brian_C_Wallace@yahoo.com. Thanks a lot.

Brian

P.S. And even though this is off topic, I would like to provoke discussion by claiming that even though Elvis hates it, I maintain that one his greatest little pop throw away songs of all time is....."Party Party" and I can't believe it's not on any of the Ryko or Rhino reissues. (It should technically be on the "Armed Forces" one, right?)
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Welcome to the Board!
Brian_Wallace wrote:I maintain that one his greatest little pop throw away songs of all time is....."Party Party" and I can't believe it's not on any of the Ryko or Rhino reissues. (It should technically be on the "Armed Forces" one, right?)
As it's from Nov 1982 it would belong with either Imperial Bedroom or Punch the Clock.

BTW it's available in the CD singles box sets.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Brian_Wallace wrote:I maintain that one his greatest little pop throw away songs of all time is....."Party Party"...
Brian - how dare you come onto the Board and make that sort of comment with your first post :lol:

Welcome and good luck with your tickets.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
absolutnut

Post by absolutnut »

try WMGM

:D
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

What a fluke of luck. My husband just bought 8 tickects for this show!!!!
Excellent, excellent seats on the floor, 18th row.
He saw how bummed out I was when I realized that the ticket pre-sale today was a special radio promo....and then he stumbled across a blog that had the password posted and voila! (Cost a freakin arm and a leg. He said Happy Mother's Day, Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas.)
I am so excited. The Taj Mahal is decent. Not too big, not too small. (Well, couldn't be in a small enough place with Elvis :wink: )
We saw Van Morrison there not too long ago.
Yeah!!!!!
I'm not angry anymore....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

BTW, the code is WJSE.
I'm not angry anymore....
bobster

Post by bobster »

This sounds SO cool. Have fun, my East coast friends.

(And, Brian-the-new-guy -- I think you and I are the only people on this board to have confessed an affection for "Party, Party." EC himself disowned it himself years ago, but what does he know?)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

Did anyone else notice that they've changed the picture?
http://www.decadesrocklive.com/artists/ ... stello.php

I thought something seemed wrong about it, and then I realized, they airbrushed his hairline. The original:
http://elviscostello.info/pic/memorabil ... c_city.jpg

For some reason this makes me very sad.
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Oh, dear....

ImageImage
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

bobster wrote:(And, Brian-the-new-guy -- I think you and I are the only people on this board to have confessed an affection for "Party, Party."
Count me in that group too.

As for the airbrushing, they did him a favor. The original photo looks like he's caught in a strong wind.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

johnfoyle wrote:ImageImage
LOL. Paging Sy Sperling. :D

And "Just for Men" while you're at it!

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

It looks like whoever runs that site has been reading this board-- they've changed the picture back! :lol:

However, the doctored photo is still here:
http://www.trumptaj.com/index.cfm/fusea ... nt.detail/
eventID/73619091-37e8-4c6e-a9a8-a60c4f5b7b95/promoevent/0/eventDate/05-19-2006/nodeid/eeccab84-648f-4278-b736-83ee699da736
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.greenday.com/greenday.html

05/04/06
Ticket Giveaway!
Billie Joe will be performing a few songs with Elvis Costello for the VH1 "Decades Rock Live" concert on May 19, 2006 in Atlantic City, NJ... we have a pair of tickets to give away to a lucky IDIOT CLUB member... you must enter by 12:00 midnite PST, May 12, winner will be announced on May 13.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

johnfoyle wrote: Ticket Giveaway!
Billie Joe will be performing a few songs with Elvis Costello for the VH1 "Decades Rock Live" concert on May 19, 2006 in Atlantic City, NJ
Billie Joe is a GREAT rhythm guitarist, that's really exciting. I hope they'll do something less than obvious. (but PIU WOULD sound fab, I'm sure!)
What this world needs is more silly men.
nobodygirl

Post by nobodygirl »

King Hoarse wrote:
Billie Joe is a GREAT rhythm guitarist, that's really exciting. I hope they'll do something less than obvious. (but PIU WOULD sound fab, I'm sure!)
I really don't like billie joe or green day in general.

Or maybe it's just their 14 year old fans that I dislike so much...
Your friends said you were better off dead
You were dead anyway from the start
--RA
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

nobodygirl wrote:
King Hoarse wrote:

I don't like Billie Joe either, or the latest Green day albums. But he IS a great rhythm guitarist.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Hey Hoarse,

Great quote there from 'Bandwagon', one of the great lost REM songs, back from when they were the most beautiful, mysterious band on the planet.... was that really 21 years ago?
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Thanks. I was just about to change it though, so for people to see your point, 'This is some parade, yes sireebob' was my quote.
nobodygirl

Post by nobodygirl »

King Hoarse wrote:
nobodygirl wrote:
King Hoarse wrote:

I don't like Billie Joe either, or the latest Green day albums. But he IS a great rhythm guitarist.
And what makes a great rhythm guitarist?

I don't think that billie joe is a great much of anything
Your friends said you were better off dead
You were dead anyway from the start
--RA
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

nobodygirl wrote:And what makes a great rhythm guitarist?

I don't think that billie joe is a great much of anything
For BJ: Good rhythmic sense. He keeps very good time, has good 'attack' (don't know how to explain that in real English musicians' terms, sorry), and is good at making a lot of noise on it and still be tight. Sometimes it sounds like he's playing rhythm and lead at the same time, on occasion while singing (or used to, I haven't seen them live in over ten years.)

Of course, these aren't the same reasons that make Keith Richards or Joe Strummer great rhythm guitarists.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I nominate John Lennon as a great rhythm guitarist.