Elvis on Grand Ole Opry ten years ago , Feb. 2006

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.emmylou.net/ehforum/DCForumID1/1383.html

The show sounded wonderful over the radio! Emmylou and Elvis and Gillian Welch and David Rawlings were backed by Viktor Krauss and Fats Kaplan. It sounded as though most of the performers played and/or sang on most of the songs. Set lists:

Early show:
01. Love Hurts (Emmylou and Elvis)
02. Must You Throw Throw Dirt In My Face (Elvis and Emmylou)
03. Long Journey (Emmylou and Gillian and Dave)
04. I Still Miss Someone (Elvis and Emmylou)
05. My Baby's Gone (Elvis and Emmylou)
06. Dear Someone (Gillian and Dave)
07. Keys To The Kingdom (Gillian and Dave)
08. Green Pastures (Emmylou w/Gillian and Dave)
09. American Without Tears (Elvis w/Emmylou)
10. Gathering Flowers For The Master's Bouquet (Elvis and Emmylou)
11. Mystery Train (All)
12. The Scarlet Tide (Elvis and Emmylou)

Late Show:
01. Wheels (All)
02. Sin City (Elvis and Emmylou)
03. Must You Throw Dirt In My Face (Elvis and Emmylou)
04. My Baby's Gone Elvis and Emmylou)
05. Mystery Train (All)
06. The Scarlet Tide (Elvis and Emmylou)

Arlene
funstan

Post by funstan »

At the 9:30 show last night John Conley was talking about his son who was a Marine stationed in Iraq. People applauded, as we should always applaud our servicemen and women. He then sang some hokey song about the service that sounded like a sequel to any number of Toby Keith songs. I mentioned that because he did not sing that song on Friday's show. I think it was in response to EC's set and the huge response he got.

He got a nice applause, but it was still no where near the applause that EC & the gang received after Mystery Train and The Scarlet Tide. The reception they received even topped Vince Gill's.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://tylerbarnes.blogspot.com/2006/02 ... ryman.html

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Well, I'm back in Nashville with Eric. We're playing The Bluebird Cafe tonight. He seems to have a lot of anxiety about it; which I guess I understand. I get little pangs of nervousness myself, but I feel like everything will be fine. I'm just going to have fun and try not to screw up or steal the limelight.

Anyway, last night we went to The Grand Ole Opry at the historic Ryman theater. It was incredible! We saw "Little" Jimmy Dickens, Jeannie Seely, Mel McDaniel, The Whites in the first set. The second set was off the hook not only because it was Emmylou Harris, but she was on stage with Elvis Costello!!! I think it was his first ever Grand Ole Opry show. They shared their set with Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. David is an amazing guitarist. I loved his Fender Esquire. Looked to be vintage but those things are so hard to tell nowadays, especially from the balcony. The show was finished out by John Conlee, Riders In The Sky, Mark Wills, Bill Anderson, Jimmy C. Newman, and Jesse McReynolds & The Virginia Boys with thier special guest, Vince Gill! Vince then ended the show with a very special, unplanned appearance by Dianna Krall!!! Vince says she's married to Elvis Costello, is that true. Evidently she was in town to record a tune with Vince and they performed that as the last number. It was incredible!!!

Then, we went to The Crazy Horse.

posted by Tyler at 11:16 AM
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Dave on listserv -

Re-photos of Elvis/Opry -

I think I've added all that I'm going to add, at least for the short
term.

So here's the final cut:

http://www.pbase.com/teleburst/costello ... y&page=all

Including -

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://ryansthinking.blogspot.com/2006/ ... -opry.html

Sunday, February 19, 2006
Grand Ole Opry

This weekend I did one of the things I have always wanted to do. I went to Nashville to attend the Grand Ole Opry. It was in the Ryman Auditorium which added to the enjoyment.

The show as usual for the Opry had a wide variety of musical performers. From bluegrass, to cajun to cowboy to country.

The headliners of the show (i.e. the ones that would be on television) were Emmy Lou Harris, Elvis Costello, Gillian Welch and David Rawlins. They had the prime hour of the show and were fantastic. One of the lighter moments came when Welch commented how proud she and Rawlins were to be an a Hillbilly band with Costello and Harris. And they were. It was set up as a sounded like a traditional hillbilly band.

The other highlight of the night came at the end as Vince Gill came out to close the show. After one song by himself, the song he performed last was one (I am not sure of the title) that he had recorded that day for his next album. It was a wonderful jazz number done with Diana Krall who came on unannounced and sang it with him. Who knew that Vince Gill could sing and play jazz. Look for it. After they finished Bill Anderson, who was hosting that section of the show, commented that after that, he didn't smoke but needed a cigarette.

The night was not without it problems though. While walking back to my car, I slipped on some ice, and sliced my thumb open on a metal grate in the sidewalk which meant I got to spend a couple of hours in a very nice emergency room getting eight stiches and a tetnus shot.

posted by Mental Meanderings @ 2:04 PM
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Lots of great photos. Would love to hear a duet between Elv and Gill. there appears to be a photo of them + Dave with no Emmylou, but it looks like that was part of a song, not a whole song. Would love to hear this show.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.emmylou.net/opryfeb06.html

Diana Krall, Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A different perspective on the Opry -

http://honkytonkusa.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... reats.html
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

given the photo above, i'm going with emmylou.

elvis wears a goddamn cowboy hat for a year--sleeps in it--and then takes it off for the opry.

GAC, which has ruined the weekly broadcasts of the opry, chose to run a cobbled together set of clips of grammy winners performing at the opry instead of elvis, etc. i was camped out and then pissed. they claim they are going to run it on march 4, i guess instead of the live broadcast they will be fucking that week.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The shows are now archived -

http://www.wsmonline.com./page.asp?SID=1&Page=248

2/18-2/19
Friday Night Opry
WSM By Request with Eddie Stubbs
Grand Ole Opry
Otis Westinghouse

oily slick wrote:given the photo above, i'm going with emmylou.
Me too, isn't she gorgeous? Hooray for her hair! Having a crush on her is a bit like motherlust, but I do all the same.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
oily slick wrote:given the photo above, i'm going with emmylou.
Me too, isn't she gorgeous? Hooray for her hair! Having a crush on her is a bit like motherlust, but I do all the same.
:D

Too witchlike for me! This is better:

Otis Westinghouse

I see no witch. She was gorgeous then too, but there's a certain sexiness that has come with maturity that I'm sure Elvis finds intoxicating. Next up, an LP called South detailing his falling out of love with a toothsome, and cheaply-marketed jazzbore and his utter rapture at being taken on by a silver-haired country legend who can still show him a thing or two about the art of love.
verena

Post by verena »

Jeez, Emmilou Harris is a stunning woman.

And Ot. is having an episode of Diana trashing... :roll:

Oh well... :wink:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

A benevolent witch...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/A ... ndex.shtml

Elvis has left the Ryman

If you missed last weekend’s amazing Grand Ole Opry taping—where ELVIS COSTELLO made his Opry debut alongside EMMYLOU HARRIS, GILLIAN WELCH & DAVID RAWLINGS, and backing players VIKTOR KRAUSS and FATS KAPLIN—you missed more than a scorching version of “Mystery Train” that brought the crowd to its feet. You missed a surprise appearance by DIANA KRALL, introduced horror-movie style as “the bride of Elvis Costello,” who did a slinky duet with Vince Gill that she recorded that afternoon for Gill’s new album. And Costello finished his Oscar-nominated song “The Scarlet Tide,” dedicated to the troops overseas, with a seeming dig at the commander in chief: a new verse that ended with the line, “Admit you lied, and bring them all back home.” God bless the Opry, God bless the Ryman, and God bless America.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/060218.php

2006-02-18: Nashville, Ryman Auditorium, Grand Ole Opry, 19:00-20:00
Elvis Costello with Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings
- Arlene Smoler

* setlist, song 1 added - correction thanks to Kelly Girtz

1. Wheels - w. Emmylou Harris (EH), Gillian Welch (GW) & Dave Rawlings (DR)
2. Love Hurts - w. EH
3. Must You Throw Dirt In My Face - w. EH
4. Long Journey Home - w. EH, GW & DR
5. I Still Miss Someone - w. EH
6. My Baby's Gone - w. EH
7. Dear Someone - GR & DR
8. Keys To The Kingdom - GR & DR
9. Green Pastures - EH, GR & DR
10. American Without Tears - w. EH
11. Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet - w. EH
12. Mystery Train - w. EH, GW & DR
13. The Scarlet Tide - w. EH
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:The shows are now archived -

http://www.wsmonline.com./page.asp?SID=1&Page=248

2/18-2/19
Friday Night Opry
WSM By Request with Eddie Stubbs
Grand Ole Opry
I'm trying for days now to get acces to these archives, but it doesn't work for me. Anyone with the same problem?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verena

Post by verena »

Yep ! :?
funstan

Post by funstan »

Try on Sunday, sometimes the do not become active until a week afterwards.
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

Hmm. It's working for me just fine; Windows Media Player fired it right up. I wonder if it matters what version of WMP is being used? I'll try and record the pertinent parts of the show(s) to my computer and post on DIME in the next few days - if I do that, I'll try and get an mp3 or two up here as well.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux wrote:Hmm. It's working for me just fine; Windows Media Player fired it right up. I wonder if it matters what version of WMP is being used? I'll try and record the pertinent parts of the show(s) to my computer and post on DIME in the next few days - if I do that, I'll try and get an mp3 or two up here as well.
That will be so great!! Thanks.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Scielle posted this on a Krall forum -

Here's a direct link to the show:

http://mmslb.eonstreams.com/wsm/archive ... pry20k.wma

I haven't listened to the whole thing, but the duet with Vince Gill is about 2hrs 18min in (and that's one song I only need to hear once... awesome piano solo though!), and at 5hr 31min in - a really great (imho) version of It Had To Be You by Diana and Riders in the Sky. It really hit me, listening to that last one, just how much she has grown as a singer.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/sit ... ewsLang=en

February 28, 2006 11:43 AM US Eastern Timezone

Great American Country (GAC) Presents Special Black-and-White Edition of Grand Ole Opry Live; Emmylou Harris and Elvis Costello headline ``retro'' version of popular Saturday night program

NASHVILLE, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 28, 2006--Great American Country (GAC) brings a new point of view to one of country music fans' favorite traditions this weekend when it presents a special edition of Grand Ole Opry Live entirely in black and white. Featured performers include Opry favorite and recent Grammy-winner Emmylou Harris, along with special friends Elvis Costello, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. The program airs on GAC Saturday at 8 p.m. EST, with an encore presentation at 11 p.m.

By giving this weekend's program a "retro" feel, GAC is introducing a new generation of fans to the "the way it was" to watch television when many of country music's greats took the Grand Ole Opry stage for the first time, according to Sarah Trahern, senior vice president of programming for GAC.

"Today's 'twenty-somethings' seem to have a strong taste for all things retro, and many of them are also great fans of country music," Trahern said. "In a way, this program is like looking at a black and white Ansel Adams photograph. It presents the art in its purest form."

The program was filmed at the historic Ryman Auditorium in Nashville on February 18.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Here's Love Hurts from the WebCast.

Unfortunately, it's less than top quality, but I haven't seen an FM source yet.

If there's any interest, I can make the rest available over the weekend.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"