v-days i have known

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

v-days i have known

Post by miss buenos aires »

2005: Going to the movies with my dad, Dutch treat.
2004: Going out to dinner with BOL, getting into enormous fight on the way home about me continuing to have male friends.
2003: Don't remember, probably sucked.
2002: Doing drugs with TCG, mutual declarations of love.
2001: Nothing (in long-distance relationship).
2000: Again, don't remember.
1999: Dinner with DSE, which was actually pretty awesome.
1998: Got a card that said, "I know that you're not mine, but will you be my Valentine?" from RVTSS. Yes, he did have three middle names.

So, out of the past eight, I've had two excellent, one mediocre, two inadvisable, and three completely erased from my memory. I HATE this holiday. Except for in 1999 and 2002. Now I'm totally depressed...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Well, last year I got a card from my husband that was from "your special friend." He waited until he got off work on V-Day, so that was all that was left...Of course, it was funny. And I guess he is my "special" friend.

This year, I get to take 3/4 of the swung brood to McDonald's for dinner! At least, I don't have to cook. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

V-Day 2006 - had fish and chip supper with Mrs VG and watched Liverpool v Arsenal on the TV. Mrs VG bought me a lovely chocolate chip cookie.

I've never done Valentine's Day as it's just commercial. I buy Mrs VG things all year round and have the day off on February 14th.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Is Valantine's Day celebrated throughtout the world or just in the USA?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

It's definitely not the huge deal elsewhere that it is in the US, but other countries celebrate it, yeah. In Japan, girls buy chocolate for their boyfriends, and then the boys reciprocate one month later by buying them something white. Here, it seems like guys just buy flowers for their girlfriends, it's not really a big deal.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

verbal gymnastics wrote:V-Day 2006 - had fish and chip supper with Mrs VG and watched Liverpool v Arsenal on the TV. Mrs VG bought me a lovely chocolate chip cookie.

I've never done Valentine's Day as it's just commercial. I buy Mrs VG things all year round and have the day off on February 14th.
Always felt the same way until one of my best female friends set up a florists. Now I feel compelled to support her on V day.

I'm a real romantic fool. I'll do anything for love...

....but I won't do that :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I would say that of all the places I have been, Japan is the place where it is celebrated in absolute over-the-top mode. Yes, MBA is correct in saying that Feb 14th is when females give chocolates to males and March 14th is when the males are supposed to (but rarely do) give something white to the females.

In Japan you would hardly know that White Day exists, as the retailers have obviously realised that trying to get the males to purchase something for the females is a lost cause. Valentines Day however is a completely different kettle of chocolate fish. I don't know the figures, but the chocolate sales are absolutely phenomenal, with the stores selling more chocolate in the week leading up to Valentines Day than for the rest of the entire year.

My wife's birthday is on Feb 13th and so we choose to celebrate that instead. She has never given me a chocolate and I don't think I have ever given her anything white.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

This was the first V-Day I'd had where I was actually in a good relationship with a great guy, so I went all out. I made a swanky dinner (bay scallops with linguine and homemade vodka sauce!), and bought my honey his favorite Batman comics. I went to the grocery store to get stuff for dinner, and saw a large group of men standing around in the floral section, looking anxious and confused. I thought it was hilarious...until Rob came home with roses...looking anxious and confused.

Poor guys.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
verbal gymnastics

:lol:

We males do not need much to be anxious and confused.

There is a flower stall at our local railway station. I pick Mrs VG up from the station most evenings and on V Day there were a load of men who were obviously banking on buying flowers there on their way home. I wondered what would be going through their minds given that the flower seller was shutting up shop as he'd sold out of everything...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I wondered what would be going through their minds given that the flower seller was shutting up shop as he'd sold out of everything...
Oh fuck, I need to find another flower shop?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

I would think more along the lines of something rhyming with "clucking bell".
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I just bought each of the kids something fun (not candy - they get enough of that from friends at school) and I fixed Doc and I a late dinner with champagne. We're headed to Chattanooga this weekend for two nights in a B&B and thought that would be a nice post V-day gift for both of us.

Of course we're taking the daughter and her friend to look at our alma mater since it is time to start searching for colleges. At least they're in a room of their own. :lol:

And hoping for an eventual end to that Valentine's curse that seems to follow us every year. . . .
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I just bought each of the kids something fun (not candy - they get enough of that from friends at school) and I fixed Doc and I a late dinner with champagne. We're headed to Chattanooga this weekend for two nights in a B&B and thought that would be a nice post V-day gift for both of us.
Sounds nice spooky. Have a great weekend. I know what you mean about the kids' Valentine's Day candy. It's getting to be like Halloween. We had to confiscate the candy when they got home from school so we could ration it out over the course of the next few weeks.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

It's a lovely house - right across the street from the Fine Arts Center at UTC where Joel and I first met. The room we reserved was having some remodeling done so they upgraded us to the Cumberland Suite. :D

http://www.mayorsmansioninn.com/

The daughter and her friend are going to spend time around the university to get an idea of campus life.
verbal gymnastics

spooky girlfriend wrote:The daughter and her friend are going to spend time around the university to get an idea of campus life.
When I hung around the ladies' dorms last year just to see what things were like I got chucked out of the University. :? Perhaps it was the Breast Inspector cap I was wearing :lol:

Have a great weekend spooky.

Valentine's candy is a new one on me. Halloween is gradually finding its way over here. No doubt this will be the same. :roll:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

YOU DON'T HAVE HALLOWEEN?????????????????

Think of the chocolates, the chocolates!

I mean, the CHILDREN! the CHILDREN!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

When we wuz kids Halloween was just a matter of wandering around with turnip lanterns.

Globalisation (inc. shrinking ice caps, lack of ozone layer, pumpkin invasions and ET) has eroded such time honoured traditions and forced 'trick or treating' on us Brits (though I suspect that not many understand the 'trick' part).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
verbal gymnastics

If I speak to the little urchins I remind them we are not in America, I ask them to explain what and why they are celebrating and then I threaten to let the alsatians loose...

...actually we just sit in and refuse to answer the door.

Damn Yankees :lol:

Valentine's candy :roll: