OSCARS 2006

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

OSCARS 2006

Post by BlueChair »

No major surprises this year, though I think Crash probably snuck by Walk The Line to gain a Best Picture nom.

http://www.oscars.org/78academyawards/noms.html
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I'm pretty happy with a lot of the nominations - but I'm particularly glad to see Felicity Huffman's name on that list.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Yes, no major suprises besides Keira Knightley's nod and “Match Point”'s nod for Original screenplay. Suprised to see Cache didn't make the Best foreign language film category. Better than “Joyeux Noël”? I think not.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Crash was a BAD MOVIE. As per usual, I haven't seen hardly any of these movies, but that might be because many of them haven't been released here yet.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Oh, thank GOD someone finally said it! I was not at all impressed with "Crash"--the concept was noble enough, but the execution was just a mess.

My boyfriend and I watched "Hustle and Flow" this weekend for the first time, and he's completely in love with the idea of Terrence Howard winning the Oscar. But...is it me, or did he kind of remind you of Benecio Del Toro in "The Usual Suspects"...?
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I haven't seen a single one of the nominated films, with the exception of "The Corpse Bride". Likewise for the actor/actress nominees. Dear oh dear I need to get out more! :!:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Don't feel bad WSS. I realized that the only ones I had seen were Harry Potter and March of the Penguins, and those aren't even in the main categories. :lol:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've seen Brokeback Mountain, Walk The Line, Crash, A History of Violence, North Country, The Constant Gardener, Corpse Bride (hated it), Wallace & Gromit, Batman Begins, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Seeing Capote, Munich, and Good Night and Good Luck shouldn't be a problem for me by March 5th considering they're all in second run cheapie theatres at this point.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

You need to get out less Blue :wink: . And what's wrong with the Corpse Bride?!? Sure its no Nightmare Before Christmas (any denigration of which will result in a long, bitter, angry riposte that will descend into tears and accusations) but I still found it more original and charming than 90% of the crap out there.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Maybe watching it on an airplane didn't give me the full effect, but I found the story and characters to be pretty uninteresting.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

pophead2k wrote:You need to get out less Blue :wink: . And what's wrong with the Corpse Bride?!? Sure its no Nightmare Before Christmas (any denigration of which will result in a long, bitter, angry riposte that will descend into tears and accusations) but I still found it more original and charming than 90% of the crap out there.
I hope this won't count as denigration, as I love Nightmare Before Christmas. But I wish Danny Elfman hadn't done the singing. Chris Sarandon sings just fine, and it would have seemed more authentic. The ONLY quibble I have. And I loves me some Selick.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

noiseradio wrote:
pophead2k wrote:You need to get out less Blue :wink: . And what's wrong with the Corpse Bride?!? Sure its no Nightmare Before Christmas (any denigration of which will result in a long, bitter, angry riposte that will descend into tears and accusations) but I still found it more original and charming than 90% of the crap out there.
I hope this won't count as denigration, as I love Nightmare Before Christmas. But I wish Danny Elfman hadn't done the singing. Chris Sarandon sings just fine, and it would have seemed more authentic. The ONLY quibble I have. And I loves me some Selick.
The above is officially denigration free.
alexv

Post by alexv »

I've always had a deep bias against the Oscars. But I have this feeling that the damn Academy is getting better these days, and that pisses me off, in the same selfish way that it annoys me that young people in NYC today enjoy a veritable paradise whereas my young self had to battle for my life in the 70s and early 80s.

In that spirit of crankiness, and in my usually obsessive way, here's my purely subjective list of Oscar madness starting in 62, the year of my first movie (Seven Samurai, in spanish subtitles; all I remember is the laughter) and ending with the beginning of the current century which finds me in movie limbo. DISCLAIMER: I did this pretty fast, and mistakes may be rampant. Do not use for official publications.

the sixties

1962: Got no problems with Lawrence of Arabia winning, but Days of Wine and Roses not nominated, and neither is Manchurian Candidate.

1963: Like Tom Jones, but no Hud, and Fellini loses best director for 8.5 (he also lost for La Dolce Vita in 61). Just not good enough.

1964: My Fair Lady beats Dr. Strangelove. The world just needs music, particularly since Seven Days in May doesn't get nominated.

1965: The world still needs music as Sounds of Music beats Shivago and Darling does not get nominated. Let me stop here to say that Julie Christie in Shivago to this day makes me quiver with lust (at the time, it was Claudia Cardinale in somethin called Cartouche that had my prepubescent self in a tizzy)

1966: A Man for All Seasons beats Alfie and Who's Afraid, and one of my favorite Billy Wilder movies does not get even make it: The Fortune Cookie. Oh, and Antonioni is not good enough to get best director for Blow Up. Damn foreigners.

1967: Racial strife in the US probably leads the Academy to decide that In the Heat of the Night, with the noble Poitier is a better movie than Bonnie and Clyde and The Graduate (In Cold Blood and Cool Hand Luke don't even get a sniffing). We should have rioted.

1968: This was a bad year worldwide and all the movies the Academy nominated sucked. They probably were too worked up to get a glimpse of 2001 Space Oddyssey, but maybe they did since they gave Zefferelli the best director prize over Stanley, for the great Romeo and Juliet. All you need is love is the answer, I guess.

1969: Something screwy happened this year and Midnight Cowboy wins. Some cineaste should do a book on the voting process this particular year. Still, Alice's Restaurant, Bob and Carol, Easy Rider not nominated.

the seventies

1970: Patton beats 5 Easy Pieces and Mash. Diary of a Mad Housewife not nominated, but....Airport is. Makes sense to me. Oh, and Fellini loses again for best director (Satyricon) and so does Altman. Well, at least the will give Fellini an honorary oscar 4 months before he drops dead. Starting around 69 something's happening to movies I think.

1971: The French Connection beats Clockwork Orange and Last Picture Show (at least in 70 and 71 the best nominees list has good pictures in it). Nevertheless Klute, Carnal Knowledge and Sunday, Bloody are not nominated. Pretty good year for movies 71.

1972: The Godfather wins. I got no issues with the process. Another good year (is this a trend?)

1973: The Sting wins (not bad) but over American Graffiti and Cries and Whispers? And Last Detail not nominated. Oh and Bergman and Bertolucci both lose best director to Hill. Hand it to the early 70s though, damn good movies

1974: Another good year, not even the Academy can fuck this up: The Godfather Part Deux, Chinatown and The Connection are all in. But they don't see the greatness of Alice Doesn't Live here, A Woman Under the Influence and my particular favorite Blazing Saddles. Now I see why the 70s get such respect these days.

1975: Cuckoos Nest wins (so so) and Shampoo and Barry Lyndon don't get nominated. Fellini, the poor bastard, loses again this time for that little old Amarcord.

1976: Rocky is the man while Taxi Driver and Network suck. Carrie and Marathon Man get nothing, and Bergman, Wertmuller and lumet all lose best director to...John Avildsen.

1977: By some miracle Annie Hall wins but Close Encounters and SNF are out.

1978: Another good year movie-wise that even the Academy can't ignore. Deer Hunter wins and should have.

1979: Kramer v Kramer beats out Apocalypse Now. Manhattan and Being There are not nominated. Back to form.

the 80s

1980: Ordinary People is better than....Raging Bull. The Great Santini, Gloria and Melvin don't get nominated.

1981: Chariots of Fire is the best movie!! Raiders and Atlantic City are in another league.

1982: ET rules and I got no issues.

1983: Terms of Endearment wins and I got issues. No Right Stuff, Silkwood.

1984: Amadeus wins and Killing Fields and Broadway Danny are both better.

1985: Out of Africa beats Prizzi's Honor (Gotta believe that starting around 81 we lost the movie mojo somehow).

1986: Platoon beats Hannah, Room with a View and Blue Velvet not nominated.

1987: Last Emperor wins. Got no problems this year.

1988: Rain Man rules at the expense of Dangerous Liaisons, Married to the Mob, Tucker, A fish called wanda.

1989: Driving Miss Daisy wins over Field of Dreams, Do the Right Thintg, Crimes and Misdeamenors, Enemies, a Love Story, and my favorite The Faboulous Baker Boys.

the 90s

1990: Dances with Wolves (not a bad movie) beats... Goodfellas. You think that's funny, eh, do you, does this amuse you? Misery, Wild at Heart, Grifters all out. Scorcese, that hack, loses to costner.

1991: Lambs win, but Thelma, JFK, Cape Fear and Boyz in the (or is it da) Hood don't get nominated.

1992: Unforgiven beats the Crying Game.

1994: Gump is obviously better than Pulp and Shawshak. Ed Wood and Bullets get no mention.

1995: Braveheart wins. Dead Man Walking and Usual Suspects don't get a look, and neither does Leaving Las Vegas (where is Ms. Shue these days. She was my 90s Julie Christie).

1996: English Patient is a great movie. Fargo is just a town, in Hollywood.

1997: Titanic wins deservedly, I guess (never saw it). But hey, I did see Wag the Dog, Jackie Brown and Boogie Nights and the Academy guys didn't.

1998: Another watershed year. Shakespeare in Love wins over Saving Private Ryan, and Gods and Monsters not nominated, neither is American History X, Elizabeth or my favorite The Truman Show

1999: American Beauty (a terrific movie I despise) wins and I can't come up with any howlers.

I've spent this century in relative hibernation, but I get the feeling that either the Academy is getting its act together or movies are now so bland that the mediocrity that is rewarded is what is being offered.

That's my 2006 Oscars rant.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I'm upset that a History Of Violence only got nominated for adapted screenplay, much of which was written by Dave Cronenberg as opposed to the nominee. Otherwise a pretty decent list, i have seen all of the nominated pictures and the front runners in my book should be Brokeback and Good Night/Good Luck. Capote was good, Munich was okay and Crash was lucky.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

alexv wrote:

1982: ET rules and I got no issues.

1994: Gump is obviously better than Pulp and Shawshak. Ed Wood and Bullets get no mention.
1982: You might have issues. Gandhi won.

1994: I agree in re: Ed Woon and Bullets. I liked Pulp Fiction better than Gump, but I won't quibble too much. But if you really think Shawshank Redemption wasn't the best movie that year (scratch that--one of the greatest movies ever made), then you're hopeless.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
alexv

Post by alexv »

Noise, when I said gump was better than Pulp and shawshank I was being facetious. I think I have to start making my facetious/sarcastic remarks more obvious (maybe a nudge/nudge), although I assumed no one would think that I would prefer Gump to those two movies.

Along those same lines, Noise, in 1970 when I say "makes sense to me" that's facetious. In 76, when I say Rocky is the man, that's facetious too. In 80, when I say Ordinary People is better than Raging Bull, that's supposed to be a criticism. When I say "Fellini just not good enough" that's facetious. When I say something screwy happens and Midnight Cowboy wins, that's me saying that for once they got it astoundingly right. And so on. The intended tone was one of disdain for the Academy's choices or lack of recognition, and assumes a general understanding of which were the truly great movies of the period. Let's just say that the only times I think the Oscars were handed out to the right movies were in: 62,63,69,72,74,77,78,87,97, and 99. In that early 70s period, there were so many great American movies that it was impossible for them not to get some right.

My bad on 82, you are correct, I have issues with that year too.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Titanic is a huge turd of a movie.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

You got that right, Blue. Doc and I still puke every time we hear that stupid theme song. . . :twisted:
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

alexv wrote:
Along those same lines, Noise, in 1970 when I say "makes sense to me" that's facetious. In 76, when I say Rocky is the man, that's facetious too. In 80, when I say Ordinary People is better than Raging Bull, that's supposed to be a criticism. When I say "Fellini just not good enough" that's facetious. When I say something screwy happens and Midnight Cowboy wins, that's me saying that for once they got it astoundingly right. And so on. The intended tone was one of disdain for the Academy's choices or lack of recognition, and assumes a general understanding of which were the truly great movies of the period. Let's just say that the only times I think the Oscars were handed out to the right movies were in: 62,63,69,72,74,77,78,87,97, and 99. In that early 70s period, there were so many great American movies that it was impossible for them not to get some right.
No, I got the sarcasm on all those. For 94, you said simply that Gump was obviously better than the other two. It wasn't that clear, which is why I asked about that year and not the others. No need to spaz.
--William Shakespeare
alexv

Post by alexv »

Blue and Spooky: Never saw titanic, I assumed it deserved the award based on my respect for Cameron, but in your honor we'll add it to the list of crappy Oscar picks. That eliminates 97 as one of the years they got it right. I like it.

Noise, glad you got the sarcasm. I was starting to worry, but certainly not "spazing"
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I didn't think you were spazzing.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

oily slick is spazzing.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

that is because heather locklear is reavailable, so there is hope again. and i vote for pulp fiction.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

alexv wrote:Blue and Spooky: Never saw titanic, I assumed it deserved the award based on my respect for Cameron, but in your honor we'll add it to the list of crappy Oscar picks. That eliminates 97 as one of the years they got it right. I like it.

Noise, glad you got the sarcasm. I was starting to worry, but certainly not "spazing"
I was just kidding about the spazzing. It's just a great word, and it needs to get used more. I'm bringing it back. That and "no doi."

Titanic had its moments, but LA Confidential was just so much better than anything else that year.
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The only good thing about Titanic was this guy: http://www.ericbraeden.com/