What's everyone think of Kanye West? An open ended question

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
LessThanZero

What's everyone think of Kanye West? An open ended question

Post by LessThanZero »

What's everyone think of Kanye West?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Misha

Post by Misha »

In a word?

Ick.

I don't get it. Must be getting old...... :roll:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Kanye West doesn't care about George Bush.

Musically, I think Kanye has some really intersting stuff. But he's out there.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Does anyone have any specific facts that would disclaim or bolster the claim that George W. Bush hates black people?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

To be fair, Kanye didn't say "George Bush hates black people." He said, "George Bush doesn't care about black people." The charge was one of indifference, not antagonism.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Then I don't see why that upset people. Considering the context, that seems like someones honest opinion - who cares if it was on national television?
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I love his new video (the one that sounds like a Ray Charles song).
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I kind of like "Hear Em Say". It sounds like a Stevie Wonder song...is that an actual sample, altered sample, or someone just playing something like the original?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Have never heard any of his music.

My personal opinion is that West was somewhat incorrect on that broadcast. He should have said "poor" instead of "black." I think he cares about the needs and concerns of all upscale Republicans without regard to race...not so sure about creed, however.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Just another flash in the pan, another 15 seconds, another fiddy cent. These guys make it one round through the revolving door and are replaced as quickly as they break onto the scene. You can count on one hand the greats that have truly broken the mold and pioneered something special. This guy has not, and will be a trivia question in two years...maybe sooner.

Has nothing to do with what he said about Bush. If he believes it, that is fine. But using an artistic awards show podium to drive a political agenda is just plain stupid, and I think it is becoming an irritant for those representing both sides of the aisle.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

It was much worse than an artistic awards show. It was on a benefit show to raise money for victims of Katrina.
--William Shakespeare
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I stand corrected. Thanks.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Borrowed his last album on a recommedation. Tried real hard for several days. Guess it's not for me. No Gorillaz....that's a different story!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yeah, Demon Days is great, innit? Read an article the other day that said in essence that critics etc. are dying for KanYe to be as different as possible to the average gun-lovin' ho-baitin' bling-totin' rap star, and whilst he's generally much more interesting than others of the genre, he still reflects a fair amount of all the expected cliches. I ain't heard his records at all.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I missed y'all.

Anyway, it's easy to dismiss Kanye West as another cocky rapper with his hand on his balls instead of over his mouth, where it probably should be. It's mighty easy to call him out for being (one of my favorite words, courtesy of my Dad) "nignorant" by saying G-Dub doesn't care about black people on live TV. And no one would deny that the boy has an ego the size of Paul Wall's grill.

But he's not going anywhere, folks. He's been around for a lot longer than people think--as a songwriter and a producer. Hip hop in the late nineties and early 'naughts' was, in part, shaped by his sound.

What's interesting to me is that the songs he produced are far and away lyrically different than his own stuff which is, despite being kinda weak sometimes, thought-provoking. While he's certainly not an heir to the legacy, he's at least trying to revive the type of rap music that told a real story about life. I miss that.

So, yeah, sometimes he needs to censor himself (for that Rolling Stone cover, his mother should beat his ass like he owes her money), but at least his trying. More than you can say for Lil Jon and his ilk.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
alexv

Post by alexv »

I'm with you on Kanye, SLC. My daughter converted me to his stuff. The point you make about his producing chops is important, because I think what gets lost in a lot of discussion about hip hop is that it's a producer's medium ultimately, sort of like early Motown. And the most interesting "pop music" of this era, in my view, is being made by these producers, who put together great records for all kinds of individual rappers who usually don't last. The beats do. Before I get beaten down by our fellow EC celebrants who, like us, have great taste in music, let me just add that when I say that hip hop is producing the best "pop music" of our era I am referring to the kind of disposable pop music that functions as ear candy, and not to EC level type stuff.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Kanye West is ace...College Dropout and Late Registration are great records, and he shouldn't really to be tarred with the label 'another flash in the pan' - he is a succesful producer and artist in his own right.

Listen to the records, they speak for themselves...or turn this thread into another political diatribe.

Up to you.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I like Kanye Ok, but for some really thought provoking and literate hip hop, check out Immortal Technique. Just amazing. He's pretty radical politically (Mr. Average, I would not recommend this for you on ideological grounds!), but his command of language is mesmerizing.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think Kanye is better as a producer. His work on Common's album Be this year was fantastic.

My favorite hip-hop album of the year was The Mouse and the Mask by Danger Doom. It's MF Doom and Dangermouse (the guy responsible for the beats on Gorillaz Demon Days). It's a record loosely based on characters from Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. But you don't have to be familiar with those shows to thoroughly enjoy it.
--William Shakespeare
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Speaking of Danger Mouse, do you like the Grey Album?
What this world needs is more silly men.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

So very much.
--William Shakespeare