Rolling Stone (Germany) chooses Elvis' eight best albums

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Rolling Stone (Germany) chooses Elvis' eight best albums

Post by Man out of Time »

On his 69th Birthday, Rolling Stone (Germany) chooses Elvis' eight best albums:

Rollingstone.de

Alle ★ ★ ★ ★ ★-Alben von Elvis Costello

Elvis Costello schuf 1976/77 eines der meistgelobten Debütalben aller Zeiten und legte mit unzähligen Song-Klassikern nach. Wir erinnern zum Geburtstag des Sängers an seine Meisterplatten.
Die größten Alben von Elvis Costello auf einen Blick
Die größten Alben von Elvis Costello auf einen Blick
2023-08-25 Rolling Stone Germany elvis-costello-beste-alben.jpg (92.14 KiB) Viewed 16697 times
This Years Model (1978)
„This Years Model“ handelt von Hass, Faschismus und Sex. Doch das Entscheidende ist die attitude. War auf „My Aim Is True“ noch das Hadern mit der Niederlage, das unbeholfene Blind-gegen-die-Wand-rennen, stand hier die trotzige Totalverweigerung. Auf „This Years Model“ gibt es keine Liebe, kein Mitgefühl, der Andere existiert nur in der Verneinung. Die Songs hießen „Hand In Hand“ oder „You Belong To Me“, doch der Schein trügte. Dazu die Attractions mit der brutalsten Rhythmusgruppe, die jemals ein Tonstudio betreten hat. Sie liefert das Fundament für Steve Nieves hämische Keyboards und Elvis‘ ätzende Gitarrenattacken.

Armed Forces (1979)
Von Elvis auch „das Abba-Album“ genannt, die Songs überwiegend unter Einfluss von „Dancing Queen“ während einer USA-Tournee geschrieben. Mit „Oliver’s Army“, „Accidents Will Happen“ und Nick Lowes „(What’s So Funny ‚Bout) Peace Love And Understanding“ enthält die Platte richtige Hits, aber auch die anderen Stücke sind so eingängig wie bitterböse: „Green Shirt“, „Goon Squad“, „Busy Bodies und „Two Little Hitlers“. Es reichte fast zum Popstar.

Get Happy!! (1980)
Unmittelbar inspiriert von Curtis Mayfield, Smokey Robinson, den Four Tops und Booker T. & The MGs, mittelbar von seiner Produktion des Specials-Debüts und den Vorkommnissen der „Armed Funk“-US-Tour mit den Attractions 1979 – der Affäre mit Bebe Buell und dem peinlichen Zwischenfall in Columbus, Ohio. Das LP-Cover protzt mit „20 Great Hits“ (beim CD-Reissue gar mit 50), und das war nicht gelogen. Die Attractions spielten variabel und druckvoll, vor allem Nieves Orgel hielt die Songs zusammen. Die Melodien waren nie besser, diepunchlines nie treffsicherer. „New Amsterdam“ ist in der Liste der schönsten Costello-Songs weit oben.

Imperial Bedroom (1982)
„Masterpiece?“ fragte die Anzeige, die „Imperial Bedroom“ bewarb, keck. Natürlich. Ambitionierter und inspirierter hatten Costello und die Attractions nie musiziert (und würden es auch nicht mehr tun). Steve Nieve schrieb Arrangements und dirigierte (mit großem Kater) zum ersten Mal ein Orchester. Nachdem der alte Held Nick Lowe als Produzent verabschiedet wurde, kündigten sich mit dem neuen Mann, dem Beatles-Toningenieur Geoff Emerick, bereits die neuen Helden an: natürlich die Beatles, aber auch die großen Meister des amerikanischen Songs – George Gershwin, Irving Berlin und Cole Porter. Emerick, der im Studio nebenan gleichzeitig mit Paul McCartney an „Tug Of War“ arbeitete, war bei den Aufnahmen vor allem Erfüllungsgehilfe für Costellos abenteuerliche Ideen.

Punch The Clock (1983)
Das Pop-Album, produziert von Clive Langer und Alan Winstanley. Es schmettern die TKO Horns, die Damen von Afrodiziak singen im Background, und Elvis legt ein Mordstempo vor: „Let Them All Talk“, „Charm School“, „The Invisible Man“,“TKO(Boxing Day)“ – aber auch die exzellenten Balladen „Shipbuilding“ und „Pills And Soap“. Der Überschwang und die intellektuelle Erotik dieser melodieseligen Platte blieben einzigartig.

King Of America (1986)
Elvis‘ Meisterstück: Mit den Session-Königen James Burton und Jerry Scheff, Ron Tutt und Jim Keltner sowie einem jungen Mann namens Mitchell Froom an den Keyboards nahm er in den USA diese Hommage an die amerikanische Musik der Fünfziger und Sechziger auf. Eine unglaubliche Leistung, wie Elvis die Virtuosen durch Wunderlieder wie „Our Little Angel“, „I’ll Wear It Proudly“ und „Sleep Of The Just“ dirigiert.

Blood & Chocolate (1986)
Noch im selben Jahr erschien die zweite Überraschung, das zweite magische Album: Diesmal mit den Attractions in aufgekratztester Verfassung, bellt und quengelt Costello durch rohe Wutlieder, winselt „I Want You“ und kräht „Tokyo Storm Warning“, leiert „Uncomplicated“ und höhnt „I Hope You’re Happy Now“. Seit dem jungen Dylan waren solche Ausbrüche nicht zu hören. Besser ging (und wurde) es nicht mehr.

Painted From Memory (1998)
Die Kollaboration mit dem von Elvis bewunderten Songschreiber Burt Bacharach, der einst musikalischer Leiter von Marlene Dietrichs Revue war und in den Sechzigern Filmmusiken und Hits aus dem Ärmel schüttelte. Costello schrieb die Texte und sang mit erstaunlicher Kraft, die Musik fügte sich aufs Glücklichste zu den melancholischen und brutalen, schwarzen und theatralischen Stücken. Ein Zyklus über Verlassen und Verlust, Mesalliancen und Scheidung, Eifersucht und Don Juanismus. Altmodisch, hochdramatisch, unvergesslich. Wer den damals schon 70-jährigen Bacharach und Costello, die seltsamen Partner, je auf der Bühne sah, hat für den Rest seines Lebens etwas zu berichten.

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: Rolling Stone (Germany) chooses Elvis' eight best albums

Post by Man out of Time »

In English via GoogleTranslate:

All ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ albums by Elvis Costello

In 1976/77 Elvis Costello created one of the most acclaimed debut albums of all time and followed it up with countless classic songs. On the singer's birthday we remember his master records.

Elvis Costello's greatest albums at a glance

This Years Model (1978)
"This Years Model" is about hate, fascism and sex. But what matters is the attitude. On “My Aim Is True” there was still struggling with defeat, the awkward running blindly against the wall, here there was defiant total refusal. On "This Years Model" there is no love, no compassion, the other only exists in denial. The songs were called "Hand In Hand" or "You Belong To Me", but appearances were deceptive. Plus the attractions with the most brutal rhythm section that has ever entered a recording studio. It provides the foundation for Steve Nieve's malicious keyboards and Elvis' caustic guitar attacks.

Armed Forces (1979)
Also called "the Abba Album" by Elvis, the songs were mostly written under the influence of "Dancing Queen" during a US tour. With "Oliver's Army", "Accidents Will Happen" and Nick Lowe's "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love And Understanding" the record contains real hits, but the other tracks are also as catchy as they are bitterly angry: "Green Shirt", " Goon Squad", "Busy Bodies" and "Two Little Hitlers". It was almost enough to become a pop star.

Get Happy!! (1980)
Directly inspired by Curtis Mayfield, Smokey Robinson, the Four Tops and Booker T. & The MGs, indirectly by his production of the Specials debut and the happenings of the "Armed Funk" US tour with the Attractions 1979 - the affair with Bebe Buell and the embarrassing incident in Columbus, Ohio. The LP cover boasts "20 Great Hits" (50 on the CD reissue), and that wasn't a lie. The Attractions played variable and powerful, especially Nieve's organ held the songs together. The melodies have never been better, the punchlines never more accurate. "New Amsterdam" is high in the list of the most beautiful Costello songs.

Imperial Bedroom (1982)
"Masterpiece?" asked the ad promoting "Imperial Bedroom" cheekily. Naturally. Costello and the Attractions had never (and never would) made music with more ambition and inspiration. Steve Nieve wrote arrangements and conducted (with a big hangover) an orchestra for the first time. After the old hero Nick Lowe had said goodbye as producer, the new heroes announced themselves with the new man, the Beatles sound engineer Geoff Emerick: of course the Beatles, but also the great masters of American song - George Gershwin, Irving Berlin and Cole Porter. Emerick, who was working in the studio next door at the same time as Paul McCartney on "Tug Of War", was primarily a vicarious agent for Costello's adventurous ideas during the recordings.

Punch The Clock (1983)
The pop album produced by Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley. The TKO horns blare, the ladies from Afrodiziak sing in the background, and Elvis sets a murderous pace: "Let Them All Talk", "Charm School", "The Invisible Man", "TKO (Boxing Day)" - but also them excellent ballads "Shipbuilding" and "Pills And Soap". The exuberance and the intellectual eroticism of this melodic record remained unique.

King Of America (1986)
Elvis' masterpiece: With session kings James Burton and Jerry Scheff, Ron Tutt and Jim Keltner and a young man named Mitchell Froom on keyboards, he recorded this homage to American music of the 50s and 60s in the USA. An incredible performance as Elvis directs the virtuosos through wonder songs like "Our Little Angel", "I'll Wear It Proudly" and "Sleep Of The Just".

Blood & Chocolate (1986)
The second surprise, the second magical album, was released in the same year: This time with the Attractions in the best of spirits, Costello barks and whines through raw anger songs, whimpers “I Want You” and crows “Tokyo Storm Warning”, chants “Uncomplicated” and sneers "I Hope You're Happy Now." Not since young Dylan had such outbursts been heard. It couldn't (and didn't) get any better.

Painted From Memory (1998)
The collaboration with the songwriter Burt Bacharach, admired by Elvis, who was once the musical director of Marlene Dietrich's revue and shook film scores and hits out of his sleeve in the sixties. Costello wrote the lyrics and sang with amazing power, the music fit happily with the melancholic and brutal, black and theatrical pieces. A cycle about abandonment and loss, misalliance and divorce, jealousy and Don Juanism. Old-fashioned, highly dramatic, unforgettable. Anyone who saw the then 70-year-old Bacharach and Costello, the strange partners, on stage has something to tell for the rest of their lives.

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I’d swop PTC for TBNI but otherwise not bad summaries !
krm

Post by krm »

I would definately find room for North here!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Chuck out Painted From Memory and PTC and replace them with Brutal Youth and Boy Named If
Also chuckin in 'Trust' instead of 'Armed Forces'!!
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

Given Elvis's deep and varied catalog, there are a few albums that could've made the cut. I agree with 7 out the 8 choices, but I would swap Look Now or Trust for PTC, and that's just to mention 2 other albums.
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

I’d replace Punch The Clock with either Brutal Youth or All This Useless Beauty but apart from that I’d choose the same top 8.
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

We can all agree that Punch the Clock doesn't belong anywhere near this list (although I still love it).
emotional_fascism076

Post by emotional_fascism076 »

Now I have to spin PTC because honestly besides the singles I don't remember the other songs. I would have put Mighty Like A Rose in it's place.
Who on earth is tapping at the window?