Almost Blue

Pretty self-explanatory
ice nine

Almost Blue

Post by ice nine »

Can anyone think of a song and an album with the same title, but the song does not appear on that album?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
sulky lad

Re: Almost Blue

Post by sulky lad »

Imperial Bedroom - song on 7 inch version of Party Party single !

North only available as a song on bonus CD and DVD of original album!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

HOUSES OF THE HOLY, the song, appeared on the follow up LED ZEPPELIN studio lp, PHYSICAL GRAFFITI.
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Good question. Why did Elvis name that album Almost Blue? Imperial Bedroom came after, right?

Anyway, I am reminded of the Chet Baker-ish, Almost Blue - trumpet flourishes on the new album on songs like "I Do (Zula's)" and maybe another track, I forget which. Love it.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Elvis has strong form when it comes to playing around with the idea of a 'title track'.

1. The line 'my aim is true' appears in 'Alison'.
2. This Year's Model has a track called 'This Year's Girl' and the line 'she's last year's model' in '(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea'.
3. The 1980 compilation Taking Liberties takes its title from a line in 'Crawling to the USA'.
4. There is a song called 'Trust', by Squeeze, which appeared on the B-side of their 'Is That Love' single, presumably produced by Elvis as part of the East Side Story sessions, while he was simultaneously working on the Trust LP.
5. The track 'Almost Blue' appears on the Imperial Bedroom LP.
6. The track 'Imperial Bedroom' appears on the B-sides of 'Man Out of Time' and 'Party Party' but not on the LP.
7. The line 'punch the clock' appears in 'The Greatest Thing'.
8. The line 'he thought he was the King of America' is the opening line of 'Brilliant Mistake' (and therefore the first thing you hear on the LP).
9. The line 'blood and chocolate' is the opening line of 'Uncomplicated' (and therefore the first thing you hear on the LP).
10. The line 'a tragic waste of brutal youth' appears in 'Favourite Hour'.
11. The When I Was Cruel LP kind of has a title-track, except that the version on the LP is called 'When I Was Cruel No 2' and the song that is actually called 'When I Was Cruel' appears on a non-LP B-side.
12. 'North' is a bonus track on the digital download (and maybe the Japanese release?) of North but not on the standard release of the LP/CD.
13. The 2006 live DVD Hot as a Pistol Keen as a Blade takes its title from line in 'The Sharpest Thorn'.
14. Look Now has a track called 'Don't Look Now'.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

15. Get Happy!! doesn't have a cover version of the famous Judy Garland song on it.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Arnie wrote:Good question. Why did Elvis name that album Almost Blue? Imperial Bedroom came after, right?

Anyway, I am reminded of the Chet Baker-ish, Almost Blue - trumpet flourishes on the new album on songs like "I Do (Zula's)" and maybe another track, I forget which. Love it.
He most certainly got the name from the same artist/album he paid homage to with the cover design, Kenny Burrell “Midnight Blue”...
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

The track Waiting For The Sun by The Doors is on the album Morrison Hotel
The track Sheer Heart Attack by Queen is on the album News Of The World
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Fishfinger king wrote:The track Waiting For The Sun by The Doors is on the album Morrison Hotel
The track Sheer Heart Attack by Queen is on the album News Of The World

THAT is the one on the tip of my brain 20 hours now....MY beloved SHEER HEART ATTACK. the tune AND the lp!!
WallyRando

Post by WallyRando »

Cursive's 2003 "The Ugly Organ" features an opening instrumental track called "The Ugly Organist" and its first traditional song "Some Red Handed Sleight of Hand" has the lyric "Sing along- I'm on the ugly organ again. Sing along- I'm on the ugly organ, so lets begin."

First example that popped into my head.

With "Almost Blue", I've always wondered if he came up with that title for the album and then wrote a song branching from that title. I'm sure I've already read an answer to that in the generous liner notes or Disappearing Ink but I've forgotten if so...
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Neil. wrote:15. Get Happy!! doesn't have a cover version of the famous Judy Garland song on it.
Very true, and I reckon that counts as an example, in as far as the title of the LP is a pretty explicit reference to that song. For me, Ella Fitzgerald trumps Judy Garland, although I realise that opinion may be sacrilege to some ears.

But on that score, we could also add 16. Mighty Like a Rose. The liner notes even quote the chorus of the country-and-western standard - perhaps best-known in its Roger Whittaker version (although Sinatra also recorded it, according to Wiki).

So, two LPs titled after early 20th-century jazz/country standards that most listeners wouldn't have a clue about. The man is soaked in musical culture, and every time I figure out something like this, I admire him even more.

Mind you, in terms of amusingly titled records which refer to other records, let's face it, nothing is ever going to beat Nick Lowe's 'Bowi' EP, is it?
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

I think EC mentioned the Count John McCormack version of Mighty like a rose
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Ulster Boy wrote:I think EC mentioned the Count John McCormack version of Mighty like a rose
You're right, that's the version he quotes on the sleeve-notes - although on the CD the print for that page is so small I've been squinting for five minutes to make it out. Lord, my eyes are getting bad these days.

Underlines the point about the depth of Elvis' musical knowledge though, and the impeccable quality of his taste, that he chose that version!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Always upset me a little, as my mum used to sing Mighty Like A Rose to Me as a child and she died 8 years before MLAR was released and it was 2 years after my son was born that the album came out. I couldn't bring myself to sing it to him ! :(
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Re Mighty Like A Rose - I didn't realise it was a song, I thought it was a poem.

Here's a jazzed-up version:
https://youtu.be/udtJ_n9qR98

Sounds like the original version is a lullaby, as evidenced by Sulky Lad's misty-eyed memories.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hawksmoor wrote:
Neil. wrote:15. Get Happy!! doesn't have a cover version of the famous Judy Garland song on it.
For me, Ella Fitzgerald trumps Judy Garland, although I realise that opinion may be sacrilege to some ears.
Not sacrilege at all - I love Ella's version, too!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Neil. wrote:Re Mighty Like A Rose - I didn't realise it was a song, I thought it was a poem.

Here's a jazzed-up version:
https://youtu.be/udtJ_n9qR98

Sounds like the original version is a lullaby, as evidenced by Sulky Lad's misty-eyed memories.
It's got a fascinating history as a song. Which I wouldn't have thought to look up were it not for this thread!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Lak%27_a_Rose
cwr

Post by cwr »

AND in addition to the song reference, "The Other Side Of Summer" has the lyric at the end about "the mightiest rose."

EC avoided having overt title tracks until ATUB and then he got on a kick of having them more often than not! PFM, FTS, TDM, TRIR, NR, WUG, HC
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

cwr wrote:AND in addition to the song reference, "The Other Side Of Summer" has the lyric at the end about "the mightiest rose."

EC avoided having overt title tracks until ATUB and then he got on a kick of having them more often than not! PFM, FTS, TDM, TRIR, NR, WUG, HC

as opposed to Bruce...who hasn't stopped since BORN TO RUN!!!! :oops: :oops:
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

cwr wrote:AND in addition to the song reference, "The Other Side Of Summer" has the lyric at the end about "the mightiest rose."
Good catch, forgot that one. I find it interesting that that line ('the mightiest rose') seems to imply that the rose is mighty. Whereas the original line has a beautiful ambiguity: does 'he's mighty like a rose' mean 'he's mighty/strong, like a rose is mighty/strong', or does it mean 'he's very much like a rose'? Such a lovely line, and it doesn't surprise me that Elvis was attracted to it.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://magnetmagazine.com/2021/10/23/e ... -ago-today

ELVIS COSTELLO AND THE ATTRACTIONS RELEASED “ALMOST BLUE” 40 YEARS AGO TODAY
October 23, 2021
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

At a loose end this afternoon, I fancy I might make myself a little EP of 'EC title tracks that technically, aren't'. I could have John McCormack's 'Mighty Like a Rose', Squeeze's 'Trust', 'Get Happy' (the Ella Fitzgerald version?), and...anything else that would fit, thematically?
jmm

Post by jmm »

He has a few of his own e.g. imperial bedroom and almost blue, right
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

jmm wrote:He has a few of his own e.g. imperial bedroom and almost blue, right
Oh, plenty! I was more looking for non-EC songs that have inspired his titles!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »