New single “Newspaper Pane”, October 16, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

New single “Newspaper Pane”, October 16, 2020

Post by sweetest punch »

Last edited by sweetest punch on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
jardine

Re: New single “Newspaper Pane”?

Post by jardine »

says 'unavailable'
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Like the previous singles, will be avaible in the next few hours?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

The previous ones have always been released on a Friday.
jardine

Post by jardine »

what a pane! :mrgreen:

don't worry. I am ashamed
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

jardine wrote:what a pane! :mrgreen:

don't worry. I am ashamed
Obviously not My Little Blue Window though :wink: :roll:
sweetest punch

Re: New single “Newspaper Pane”, October 16, 2020

Post by sweetest punch »

https://found.ee/ElvisCostello_NewspaperPane

Mail from ElvisCostello.com:

ELVIS COSTELLO SINGS: “I DON’T SPEND MY TIME PERFECTING THE PAST. I LIVE FOR THE FUTURE, BECAUSE I KNOW IT WON’T LAST"

Today sees the debut of “Newspaper Pane”, the fifth release from Elvis Costello’s forthcoming album, Hey Clockface.

While the previous bulletins from Hey Clockface were recorded in Helsinki and Paris - prior to the current emergency - the music for “Newspaper Pane” was written and produced in New York by composer/arranger, Michael Leonhart in collaboration with guitarist Bill Frisell and completed by lyrical verses Costello added from his westward hideout via the miracle of telecommunications.

Trumpet player, Michael Leonhart then punctuated Costello’s vocal with a wonderful horn arrangement, interweaving with Frisell's guitar and the playing of a New York rhythm section.

Costello’s text for “Newspaper Pane” opens with a description of a woman staring at promises of an unattainable life, printed on a sheet of newspaper that she has taped to a broken window pane against the elements. The lyric moves back and forth through time and location to consider a series of fractured pledges, culminating in the declaration:

“When you get where I am now, you may feel differently
The cliff drops away sharply, falls into the sea”

The song was mixed at Bigtop Studio, Woodland Hills, Los Angeles by Sebastian Krys, Costello’s co-producer for both ‘Hey Clockface’ and the preceding, GRAMMY-winning, ‘Look Now’ album with The Imposters. The new song is accompanied by the latest moving picture collaboration between Eamon Singer and Arlo McFurlow.

“Newspaper Pane” - one of two such collaborations on Hey Clockface - follows the September 25th release of “Shut Him Down” by Michael Leonhart Orchestra, featuring Costello and verses from the rapper JSWISS. “Shut Him Down” will not be included on, Hey Clockface but will feature on a future release by the M.L.O. on Sunnyside Records.

The Hey Clockface album will be released on October 30th by Concord Records.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Loving it. I'm fine with 'Radio is Everything' but 'Newspaper Pane is much more of an actual 'song with a tune'. Really good. Excited for the LP now.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Hawksmoor wrote:Loving it. I'm fine with 'Radio is Everything' but 'Newspaper Pane is much more of an actual 'song with a tune'. Really good. Excited for the LP now.

yes, let me resurrect this languishing thread after my first full listen. :) THIS SONG IS PRETTY GREAT INDEED. love the instrumentation at the top, the middle and the ending too. a VERY tasty little groove going on....THE EC I WANT IN 2020!! well played my friend. i, too, am excited for the LP. best, ba
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Musically, a *very* fine backing with a very lazy topping ... (Elvis Costello on auto-pilot once more)
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

This one kind of floats past - it feels like a mood, rather than a melody - a very down, depressed mood. It's like 'We're All Cowards Now' in that regard. One of Elvis's strengths for me has been his gift for really catchy melodies, but I think he's aiming for something different in these songs.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

on Friday afternoon I listened to what we have already and the album is falling into place. Now following the Aussie radio programme we have Radio is everything and the Whirlwind. The whirlwind and no flag are probably my favourite tracks