Trust Survivor - Results

Pretty self-explanatory
kosi559

Trust Survivor - Results

Post by kosi559 »

Trust Survivor - Results
The winner is... New Lace Sleeves. Once again, I am surprised at the results because Clubland is one of Elvis's most beloved songs, but New Lace Sleeves is often considered to be the best on the album, so I'm not too surprised.
Including This Year's Model, only five more albums to go.

RESULTS

Rank Song Votes Percentage
14th Luxembourg 26/71 36.6%
13th Fish 'N' Chip Paper 11/66 16.7%
12th Pretty Words 11/59 18.6%
12th Lover's Walk 11/59 18.6%
10th Different Finger 15/66 22.7%
9th White Knuckles 14/58 24.1%
9th From a Whisper to a Scream 14/58 24.1%
7th Shot With His Own Gun 13/30 43.3%
6th Big Sister's Clothes 24/61 39.3%
5th Strict Time 19/56 33.9%
4th You'll Never Be a Man 25/63 39.7%
3rd Watch Your Step 28/67 41.8%
2nd Clubland 42/66 63.6%
1st New Lace Sleeves 24/66 36.4%

WINNERS

Album Song Votes Percentage
My Aim is True (U.S.) Watching the Detectives 51/145 35.2%
My Aim is True (U.K.) (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes n/a n/a
This Year's Model (Illegitimate) This Year's Girl 23/47 48.9%
Armed Forces Accidents Will Happen 23/58 39.7%
Get Happy!! King Horse 21/54 38.9%
Trust New Lace Sleeves
Imperial Bedroom Beyond Belief 28/62 45.2%
"Can't you see? My band is up there."
Neil.

Re: Trust Survivor - Results

Post by Neil. »

Really hard to call this, but I guess New Lace Sleeves is just a fraction better. Hard to compare such different songs though! But the slow burn of the song is always so mesmerising, as is the sadness and cynicism of the whole thing. Brilliant, brilliant song.
jardine

Post by jardine »

Agreed, Neil. Also, at the time, I remember thinking that this was something new, something different -- ended up a gateway towards couldn'tcallitunexpected etc. shotwithisown gun also seemed new, but somehow too clever?? NLS seemed, and seems, dead serious
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

Thanks Kosi for organising another fun game of survivor. I’m pleased NLS won, it’s a terrific song and, as EC has long claimed, a high point for The Attractions. I’m only slightly ashamed to say that my intro to the song was via the Girls Girls Girls compilation which, after my first EC purchase (KOA - what a way to start in earnest), is what got me into his earlier work. Previously I’d only been exposed to him via the hits and highlights, through radio plus Top of the Pops and The Tube TV shows. TYM was unavoidable and I knew and loved that album already while Alan Bleasdale’s Scully caused me to buy and actually enjoy GCW. But KOA got me commited so I’m oddly a post first Attractions era person (anyone else?!). New Lace Sleeves was always an unimpeachable highlight when I tracked back to Trust. Runner up Clubland I’ve heard too many times in concert now (it became a loo break opportunity) and (I hope I’m not causing offence) kind of remains so. But hey maybe I’ve not been to enough Northern nightclubs to appreciate it though I still feel there are many far better tracks on Trust.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

New lace sleeves is a good lyrically clever song (of course!) but it plods too much for my liking.

Has that put the cat amongst the pigeons? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

The pigeons have all scattered, it’s like Trafalgar Square under lockdown here Verbal.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Never thought I'd be posting a Bros video in an Elvis Costello forum, but this is apt:

https://youtu.be/sywWI6OhmL0
jardine

Post by jardine »

"The pigeons ate the wedding rice
And exploded
Somewhere over San Antone
--io"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQp3nZe6kI4
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:Never thought I'd be posting a Bros video in an Elvis Costello forum, but this is apt:

https://youtu.be/sywWI6OhmL0
Shame on you Neil - I checked this out and lost my street cred as the trendiest person in Devon FOREVER now !!! :shock: :roll:
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

Thanks for posting Neil - I honestly never realised the depth and quality of Matt and Luke’s lyrical imagery. Surely EC must have tipped the hat to them in an old interview as worthy successors in the UK charts? :D Sulky my street cred in East London, already on the floor, is really suffering now...

To continue this rich pigeon seam (ok it’s the only other song with a pigeon in it that comes to mind*) the late great John Prine covering the also late and great Blaze Foley

https://youtu.be/u0TOuVVAwQI[/youtube1]
* I checked Randy Newman’s Baltimore and wouldn’t you know it’s a seagull!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

You'll never be a man and Shot with his own gun would have been much higher if I was picking the result. But Trust is a great album with no duff songs
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Funnily enough I feel the same way with Shot with his own gun as I do with New Lace Sleeves.

Shot with his own gun is terrific live though, especially when Steve does his magic!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?