Elvis & The Imposters play Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff , March 16, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff , March 16, 2020

Post by Man out of Time »

The Just Trust UK 2020 Tour includes one date in Wales. On Monday 16 March, EC and The Imposters play the Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff Bay. This will be Elvis and The Imposters' second appearance at this venue.

In advance of announcing the dates for this UK Tour, Elvis tweeted a series of images as clues to the venues he would be playing. This image was intended to be a clue for Cardiff, although it might also have pointed to Edinburgh, birthplace of Sir Sean Connery.
The Man With The Golden Touch
The Man With The Golden Touch
03.jpeg (90.95 KiB) Viewed 24355 times
The link to Cardiff is Dame Shirley Bassey, born in Tiger Bay, Cardiff. Dame Shirley sang the theme song to Goldfinger. The film (and many other Bond movies) was produced by Albert R. (Cubby) Broccoli. His daughter Barbara produced the film "Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool" based on the life of Gloria Grahame. Elvis wrote the song "You Shouldn't Look At Me That Way' for the movie.

Who's going to the show?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff , March 16, 2020

Interesting to look at the poster for Goldfinger (above) and think about how times have changed. In 1964 the film's producers would have cared not one jot for the Chinese market, but now.....

Here is an interview with Carl Marsh published in Buzz Magazine on 7 March, ahead of this Welsh show.

" “If I can still pay the rent and keep the lights on, I’ve made my contribution.” ELVIS COSTELLO | INTERVIEW

ELVIS COSTELLO

One of Britain’s songwriting greats, a graduate of 1970s punk and latterday auteur, Elvis Costello talks to Carl Marsh ahead of a Cardiff show with his band The Imposters.

Back in 2005, after Glastonbury, you said that you didn’t want to play England or Wales again, as you thought the British public had lost touch with your music. How are you approaching that now?

That was a good lesson on why you should never answer a question directly off the stage! I’d just opened a tour with Bob Dylan, playing in a big arena in South Carolina. I had such an unbelievable reaction, even though I was just playing on my own. I came off and went, “Well, that maybe explains a little bit of a difference.” Then of course you’ve got the interview – I don’t have control of what they did to it! Next thing you know, it’s in the tabloids and it’s like “TRAITOR COSTELLO!” But I never said any such thing.

I haven’t lived in Britain for 30 years. So, whether I feel entirely at home or not, you can take what you want out of the fact that I’ve not lived there. I lived in Ireland for many years and North America for the last 15. That doesn’t mean I have any superior or negative feelings. I still travel home all the time to visit my mother, or my eldest son who lives in London. Although the family I have right now are the other side of the world.

Do you think you will ever come back to live here in the future?

I mean, it isn’t my decision to make alone, is it? As a family, we have to think if it’s a great idea. My wife [Diana Krall] loves to be in Britain, but she doesn’t get to tour around Wales and Scotland, let alone Ireland, as much as I do.

I was brought up with your music in the 1970s. Would you say you’re more of a storyteller than a songwriter?

How do you write a song? If they knew how to do that, they’d be doing it all the time. People assume I’m writing everyday but I’m not. I really don’t have a sense of how I define myself. If you ask me what I do, I could have a big grand idea and say I’m a writer. It doesn’t say “writer” on my passport, it says “musician”. Musician contains songwriter, narrator and storyteller. Musician will cover it.

Do you write songs differently than you did 30 or 40 years ago?

Yeah, you can’t get the quill pens now! [laughs] Sometimes I’ll get an instrument that I don’t play very well and fool around on it. Other times, you can pick a guitar up and it can turn into something very familiar. You can start strumming, one chord will lead to this chord, and it’s predictable. The piano is a bit more like a voyage out to sea. Recently, I went back to some of my notebooks and looked at the way the lines were developed in some quite famous songs. They could’ve gone a completely different way if I’d written that. I didn’t remember that until I saw them again.

Now you type something directly into a computer, which is convenient because you can communicate it to someone else really quickly. When you do it with a pen, pencil or a sharp stick, you’re doing something that is going over it. In the period where I had the most success, I’d write the lyrics out over and over again in the book. I suppose I was testing their consistency.

Do you still feel like you have something to prove in the music industry?

I never think about the music industry. I’m not in a league like a footballer. I don’t think about how I have to win the cup. I feel very fortunate that my vocation is also my occupation. The biggest drawback to having a long career is the sense of entitlement to the audience’s attention. You don’t demand it. I try to stay out of the business pages. If I can still pay the rent and keep the lights on, I’ve made my contribution.

Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff Bay, Mon 16 Mar. Tickets: £38.50-£82.50. Info: 029 2063 6464 / http://www.wmc.org.uk"

COVID-19 permitting, will anyone be joining Sulky Lad and me at the Millenium Centre in the Bay?

MOOT
JONPD

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff , March 16, 2020

Post by JONPD »

Yes I will be there
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Will be there, as MOOTM says, COVID-19 permitting. Not like a football match you can play behind closed doors, is it?
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Fishfinger king wrote:Will be there, as MOOTM says, COVID-19 permitting. Not like a football match you can play behind closed doors, is it?
A tough change last evening New York way....the Saint Patricks Day parade, the remainder of the NBA season and the 3 night run to celebrate Phil Lesh 80th at the Cap this weekend ALL SCRATCHED. :cry: :cry:
Fishfinger king

I’m sure it’s coming here too. Just hope to get my last 2 Elvis gigs in first! Loads of tickets for London coming up on Twickets. People are already making the decision for themselves.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Postponed: https://www.wmc.org.uk/en/whats-on/2020 ... imposters/

’Unfortunately, Elvis Costello’s show on Monday 16 March is being postponed by the promoters due to the current situation with Coronavirus. We will contact ticket bookers directly.’
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Fishfinger king

Fishfinger king wrote:I’m sure it’s coming here too. Just hope to get my last 2 Elvis gigs in first! Loads of tickets for London coming up on Twickets. People are already making the decision for themselves.
Oh well. I’ll enjoy the cultural highlights of Cardiff but no Elvis. Presume Birmingham off as well but nil on either Elvis’ or venue website. What a shame as we need our Elvis fix at such a difficult time!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Email received yesterday from the box office at the Wales Millenium Centre:

"As you know, due to the Coronavirus pandemic, Elvis Costello & The Imposters were unable to perform at Wales Millennium Centre on Monday 16 March as scheduled. We are currently working hard with the promoter to reschedule the performance here in 2021. We would advise that you hold on to your tickets for now, and as soon as the new date is confirmed we will be in touch and your booking will automatically be transferred to the new date. All tickets previously issued will be valid for the new performance and there will be no need to collect new ones if you have already received them.

However, as we are currently unable to confirm the new date, please let us know if you would prefer to receive a refund by emailing us at tickets@wmc.org.uk and a member of staff will be happy to help you. Please note that we can only refund the cardholder of the original booking and any payments made by debit or credit card will be refunded to the original payment card. Refunds may take up to 28 days.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We look forward to welcoming you to Wales Millennium Centre in the very near future."

So apparently no prospect of a rescheduled date until next year. A lot of cancelled events have been rescheduled for October, including I know a tour due to happen in May this year, so possibly UK venues are running out of availability now in a "safe" period for 2020.

MOOT
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

Man out of Time wrote:Email received yesterday from the box office at the Wales Millenium Centre:

"As you know, due to the Coronavirus pandemic, Elvis Costello & The Imposters were unable to perform at Wales Millennium Centre on Monday 16 March as scheduled. We are currently working hard with the promoter to reschedule the performance here in 2021. We would advise that you hold on to your tickets for now, and as soon as the new date is confirmed we will be in touch and your booking will automatically be transferred to the new date. All tickets previously issued will be valid for the new performance and there will be no need to collect new ones if you have already received them.

However, as we are currently unable to confirm the new date, please let us know if you would prefer to receive a refund by emailing us at tickets@wmc.org.uk and a member of staff will be happy to help you. Please note that we can only refund the cardholder of the original booking and any payments made by debit or credit card will be refunded to the original payment card. Refunds may take up to 28 days.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We look forward to welcoming you to Wales Millennium Centre in the very near future."

So apparently no prospect of a rescheduled date until next year. A lot of cancelled events have been rescheduled for October, including I know a tour due to happen in May this year, so possibly UK venues are running out of availability now in a "safe" period for 2020.

MOOT
That is disappointing but not a surprise
Man out of Time

A further email received today from the box office :

"We recently contacted you to let you know that we were in discussion with the promoters of Elvis Costello & The Imposters, in order to reschedule the performance which was due to take place on 16 March 2020.

Thank you very much for your patience. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we have been unable to secure new dates for this event. Please accept our apologies for any disappointment the cancellation of this performance may cause.

We will be refunding all bookers over the next 28 working days. Please note we can only refund the cardholder of the original booking and any payments made by debit or credit card will be refunded to the original payment card.

We would like to thank our community for all of your supportive messages, including those who have made donations. As 85% of our revenue comes from ticket sales, every gift makes a difference and these donations will help us to secure our future and ensure we are ready to bring back uplifting performances and life-enhancing learning opportunities as soon as possible. If you would like to make a donation to Wales Millennium Centre, you can do so here.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you to Wales Millennium Centre in the very near future."

So no new date for this show. I have yet to hear from either the New Theatre Oxford, or Symphony Hall, Birmingham (the other two venues for cancelled shows) but there may be a similar story.

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Received this email this morning - shame really.

Hello,

We regret to inform you that the previously postponed Elvis Costello & The Imposters show planned to take place at Wales Millenium Centre, Cardiff on 16th March 2020 has been cancelled.

Refunds will be issued automatically back to the account you used when making the purchase.

For now, keep safe, keep healthy and look after each other.

Your friends at AXS
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

I was talking last month to a friend of mine who is a concert promoter here in the States. He was telling me that things won't start up again until sometime in the spring of 2021. People--promoters, bands, fans--aren't willing to make a commitment this year to squeeze themselves into an enclosed space with thousands of their friends until things start clearing up.
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?