Get Happy!! Survivor - Results

Pretty self-explanatory
kosi559

Get Happy!! Survivor - Results

Post by kosi559 »

Get Happy!! Survivor (Round 15) - Results

This 16 day survivor poll has finally come to a close, and I'm sure all of you are excited to see the winner. The winner is... King Horse! I don't see any point in hiding it now. This is my favorite song on the album, and I am so glad that it won! It was fairly close, so any song could have won.

Thank you so much for playing. In a week from now, I'll do a poll to determine which album we'll do next. Eventually, we'll do all of the albums from the first ten years. This is not because I have anything against the post Blood and Chocolate albums, but just for brevity and because I am much less familiar with those albums.

Results
Rank Song Votes Percentage
20th 5ive Gears in Reverse 10/56 18.2%
19th Beaten to the Punch 13/55 23.6%
18th Human Touch 10/58 17.2%
17th I Stand Accused 7/45 15.6%
17th Clowntime is Over 7/45 15.6%
15th B-Movie 6/48 12.5%
14th Black and White World 9/55 16.4%
14th Men Called Uncle 9/55 16.4%
12th Motel Matches 8/52 15.4%
11th I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down 8/40 20.0%
10th Temptation 9/55 16.4%
10th Love for Tender 9/55 16.4%
10th The Imposter 9/55 16.4%
7th Possession 15/52 28.8%
6th Secondary Modern 16/54 29.6%
5th Opportunity 18/51 35.3%
4th Riot Act 22/60 36.7%
3rd New Amsterdam 20/49 40.8%
2nd High Fidelity 33/54 61.1%
1st King Horse 21/54 38.9%
"Can't you see? My band is up there."
Neil.

Re: Get Happy!! Survivor - Results

Post by Neil. »

Thanks, Kosi!

I'm so pleased, because it's my favourite song on the album.

It's such a brilliant song and arrangement - the places it goes.

We are 'somewhere back in some secluded spot' cos Steve's organ part takes us there, accompanied by beautiful bass. And that guitar twang after the hilarious line "cos you see, I knew that song so long before we met, that it means much more than it might." TWANG!

Then of course there's the glorious cascading piano in the chorus and the shouty harmonising which is absolutely brilliant but must have seemed like a risk at the time.

A WORTHY WINNER!!!!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:Thanks, Kosi!

I'm so pleased, because it's my favourite song on the album.

It's such a brilliant song and arrangement - the places it goes.

We are 'somewhere back in some secluded spot' cos Steve's organ part takes us there, accompanied by beautiful bass. And that guitar twang after the hilarious line "cos you see, I knew that song so long before we met, that it means much more than it might." TWANG!

Then of course there's the glorious cascading piano in the chorus and the shouty harmonising which is absolutely brilliant but must have seemed like a risk at the time.

A WORTHY WINNER!!!!

Boo! :wink:
I knew you'd like the big production feel to this, Neil
It still feels like "which digit shall i cut off today ?"
Side Two would have to be toes and then Side One ( the side beginning with Love For Tender) would be fingers apart from "Riot Act" of course, big toe right foot in case you're wondering! :shock:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I played the album yesterday.

I think side A should be the current B - i.e. I think 'I Cant Stand Up For Falling Down' should open the album.

Why?

Because in the current configuration, when you play on CD or Spotify, High Fidelity (end of side 1) runs straight into 'I Can't Stand Up' (start of side 2) and the vibe and tempo are too similar. It feels like a samey song has started after High Fidelity.

The minutiae!
jardine

Post by jardine »

/i remember that the vinyl i first bought had the sides that way, w. icantstand the first song and i still can't get used to love for tender starting things out...will go have a look...its stored away somewhere...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:I played the album yesterday.

I think side A should be the current B - i.e. I think 'I Cant Stand Up For Falling Down' should open the album.

Why?

Because in the current configuration, when you play on CD or Spotify, High Fidelity (end of side 1) runs straight into 'I Can't Stand Up' (start of side 2) and the vibe and tempo are too similar. It feels like a samey song has started after High Fidelity.

The minutiae!
But it's got to end with "Riot Act" - "now it looks like I'm not gonna be around anymore"
I'm sure this debate was on this forum in the past but once again, rest assured I'm right :wink: -
and doesn't Elvis concur on liner notes somewhere eh JF? BA? ANCT?

Incidentally, it was meant to be played on vinyl though I'm mortified that the Mobile Fidelity issue mimicked the promo of the LP and put it over 4 sides which means far too much getting up and changing sides too often. My F-Beat album still sounds magnificent especially when cranked up to max decibels to reverberate around Dartmoor !!