Little Richard RIP

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Little Richard RIP

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.rolling ... 48505/amp/

Little Richard, Founding Father of Rock Who Broke Musical Barriers, Dead at 87
Pianist-singer behind “Tutti Frutti,” “Good Golly Miss Molly” and “Long Tall Sally” set the template that a generation of musicians would follow

Little Richard, a founding father of rock and roll whose fervent shrieks, flamboyant garb, and joyful, gender-bending persona embodied the spirit and sound of that new art form, died Saturday. He was 87. The musician’s son, Danny Penniman, confirmed the pioneer’s death to Rolling Stone, but said the cause of death was unknown.
Starting with “Tutti Frutti” in 1956, Little Richard cut a series of unstoppable hits – “Long Tall Sally” and “Rip It Up” that same year, “Lucille” in 1957, and “Good Golly Miss Molly” in 1958 – driven by his simple, pumping piano, gospel-influenced vocal exclamations and sexually charged (often gibberish) lyrics. “I heard Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, and that was it,” Elton John told Rolling Stone in 1973. “I didn’t ever want to be anything else. I’m more of a Little Richard stylist than a Jerry Lee Lewis, I think. Jerry Lee is a very intricate piano player and very skillful, but Little Richard is more of a pounder.”

Although he never hit the top 10 again after 1958, Little Richard’s influence was massive. The Beatles recorded several of his songs, including “Long Tall Sally,” and Paul McCartney’s singing on those tracks – and the Beatles’ own “I’m Down” – paid tribute to Little Richard’s shredded-throat style. His songs became part of the rock and roll canon, covered over the decades by everyone from the Everly Brothers, the Kinks, and Creedence Clearwater Revival to Elvis Costello and the Scorpions.

(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Little Richard RIP

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... le_Richard

Richard Penniman, better known by the stage name Little Richard.

Songwriter and original performer on: Bama Lama Bama Loo
Co-songwriter (with Edwin Bocage, Al Collins and James Smith) on: Slippin' And Slidin'
Co-songwriter (with Enotris Johnson and Robert Blackwell) on: Long Tall Sally

Appeared with Elvis Costello: 1995-05-16, Late Show With David Letterman, London, England
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Sad news indeed.

He made some amazing music and invented rock’n’roll.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
jardine

Post by jardine »

Also a reminder of just how utterly nuts rock and roll seemed as it began. Years ago, I showed my son one of the ed sullivan beatles shows that has all the other acts. we plowed through the magicians and davy jones in oliver and plate spinners and so on. Then the beatles came on and my son [maybe around 14 years old then?] looked at me and said "oh, now I get it!" We have since talked of that commonplace that things went from black and white to colour in that moment.

Now go back 7, 8, 9, 10 years before that, a skinny, near-hysterical black guy with tall, greased up hair screaming and smiling and sweating and shining and tumbling words and swing swing swing...oh my. Little Richard. What a thing!
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

My oldest son was subjected to quite a number of EC shows growing up, a case in point being that he fell asleep at Meltdown in the second row (goodness knows how I lucked out and got those seats) the night Deep Dead Blue was recorded. The excitement of C&N plus the Fairfield Four had been quite enough for him and he fell asleep - and snored, though I kept shifting him about on me to minimise it. Now I swear if you rack up the volume on Deep Dead Blue as the applause dies away between songs, you can hear him.

But I digress, the point is around those years I also took him to see Little Richard on a bill with Jerry Lee and Chuck Berry at Wembley. Richard was phenomenal even if he did have to be helped up on top of the piano to rock out and play with his feet and everything. When Jerry Lee came on I immediately recognised his guitar player - James Burton. What a storming set they played. These people were so vital.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... illis.html

Demi Moore leads celebrities paying tribute to the late Little Richard as she shares throwback of the singer officiating her wedding to Bruce Willis

(...)
And Elvis Costello urged people to play the song Rip It Up 'very loud' as a tribute to the singer.

He added: 'Then play it again. There's nothing anyone can say, that says it better.'
(...)