EC to appear on Artists4NHS interview and live performance series, March 27, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

EC to appear on Artists4NHS interview and live performance series, March 27, 2020

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://www.facebook.com/artists4nhs/ph ... 694383533/
Hi everyone, it’s Ronan MacManus here.
Some info on this:

Artists4NHS

Artists4NHS is a movement inspired by the NHS workers battling the Covid19 outbreak in the UK. It’s was started by a musician who is married to an NHS nurse. Ronan MacManus, who is the brother of Elvis Costello, is a professional musician himself and his wife Christine is a Matron at Northwick Park Hospital in NW London.
Artists4NHS is a collaboration between MacManus and media company ConductiveTV (owned by Shen 360 events), which will be headed up by TV presenter Rob McCaffrey, known for his time at Sky Sports.
It will be an online platform that carries Music, Sports and Lifestyle content.
The main drive will be to livestream interviews and live performances from music and comedy artists with all the proceeds going towards the official NHS Charities fund for frontline staff tackling the virus. The fund is being set up as we speak and we will forward on exact details once we have them.
Any artists getting involved can rest assured that 100% of any money raised by their appearance will go to the fund.
https://www.facebook.com/artists4nhs/po ... 5177709918
First up is Elvis Costello (not sure how we got him!)
Stay tuned for details
And No Coffee Table

Re: EC to appear on Artists4NHS interview and live performance series, March 27, 2020

https://www.facebook.com/artists4nhs/ph ... 217612114/

Day and Time confirmed.
Friday 27th March 19:30 GMT.
Elvis Costello with his brother Ronan MacManus & host Rob McCaffrey.
Do you have a question for him? We’ll choose the best ones
90785650_107003220945447_2620893579228217344_o.jpg
90785650_107003220945447_2620893579228217344_o.jpg (114.3 KiB) Viewed 50633 times
And No Coffee Table

Re: EC to appear on Artists4NHS interview and live performance series, March 27, 2020

https://www.facebook.com/artists4nhs/ph ... 354233467/

Hi everybody, we have a slight change of plan due to the increasing lockdown measures being introduced daily here in the UK. We can’t go live now due to measures put in place by the UK government for us all to stay home. We feel it is our duty to adhere to this as we all try to do our bit to defeat this virus and support our dedicated healthcare workers in the fight.

Elvis has agreed to still speak and perform and even answer some of your questions that have been sent in but we are unable to link live at this time as we have no access to the studio and it’s equipment. It will, however, be a specially recorded message and performance recorded for us and for you by Elvis from his underground lair where who knows what diabolical plans he is hatching for our future entertainment. It promises be a special and rare chance to observe this legend in his natural habitat.

We will still be playing it at 19:30GMT on Friday evening and we will announce the details of how to find it across all social media platforms, as soon as we have it all in place.

We apologise for the change of plan but we hope you will still enjoy it and we thank Elvis for his generosity. Stay safe and well and enjoy the one and only Elvis Costello.
90736596_107456377566798_3965911632202170368_o.jpg
90736596_107456377566798_3965911632202170368_o.jpg (110.65 KiB) Viewed 50551 times
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

What a good cause right now. I’ll be watching and no doubt parting with a bit of cash for the fundraising. Greatly looking forward to what EC might pull out of the bag. His words of care for the NHS and for all of us at the final Hammersmith gig and in his statement were deeply touching. A friend through music he certainly continues to be.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

As an NHS employee, I feel the best support Elvis could give me personally at this moment would be access to his personal archive - only the live stuff you understand, I'm not greedy and this would alleviate the strain my colleagues are feeling when I return to work at the end of April (at the latest). My planned "retire and return" is on hold so I'm poised everyday to resume my duties and Mrs. Sulky is also prepared as more people are discharged earlier to free up beds on ICUs and so require greater expertise in the community - it has a huge knock-on effect and any public support for us all doing our professional bit is hugely appreciated by us all. Still a few recordings from 1977 to 1986 wouldn't go amiss ! :wink:
Last edited by sulky lad on Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

sulky lad wrote:As an NHS employee, I feel the best support Elvis could give me personally at this moment would be access to his personal archive - only the live stuff you understand, I'm not greedy and this would alleviate the strain my colleagues are feeling when I return to work at the end of April (at the latest). My planned "retire and return" is on hold so I'm poised everyday to resume my duties and Mrs. Sulky is also poised as more people are discharged earlier to free up beds on ICUs and so require greater expertise in the community - it has a huge know-on effect and any public support for us all doing our professional bit is hugely appreciated by us all. Still a few recordings from 1977 to 1986 wouldn't go amiss ! :wink:
:)
krm

Post by krm »

91014577_109648124014290_5812278297060442112_n.jpg
91014577_109648124014290_5812278297060442112_n.jpg (76.54 KiB) Viewed 50338 times
And No Coffee Table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfXyl0fBcTY

Elvis Costello - from isolation
Artists4NHS is a UK based movement raising money to support the NHS staff and volunteers caring for Covid19 patients. We are endorsed by NHS Charities Together and are promoting the official fund set up for the frontline carers.
Please donate direct to https://virg.in/NHSCovid19
(please note the link in the video has changed to the one above)
We would like thank Elvis Costello for his time and his generosity in putting this together from isolation in Vancouver, Canada.
Stay safe, stay well and stay tuned for more Artists4NHS videos
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

sulky lad wrote:As an NHS employee, I feel the best support Elvis could give me personally at this moment would be access to his personal archive - only the live stuff you understand, I'm not greedy and this would alleviate the strain my colleagues are feeling when I return to work at the end of April (at the latest). My planned "retire and return" is on hold so I'm poised everyday to resume my duties and Mrs. Sulky is also poised as more people are discharged earlier to free up beds on ICUs and so require greater expertise in the community - it has a huge know-on effect and any public support for us all doing our professional bit is hugely appreciated by us all. Still a few recordings from 1977 to 1986 wouldn't go amiss ! :wink:

Can I just give a big personal and heart felt round of applause to Mr and Mrs Sulky and all their hard working colleagues during these very worrying times.Thanks guys! 8)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Goon Squad wrote:

Can I just give a big personal and heart felt round of applause to Mr and Mrs Sulky and all their hard working colleagues during these very worrying times.Thanks guys! 8)
You're a great man, thanks, mate. :D
Son is an educational psychologist and now working in food banks helping those with MHI now that schools are largely closed, one daughter is working within the NHS relentlessly organising therapy services locally -we're really proud all our kids work for the under -privileged as well as those more able to look after themselves.
I 'm still doing my bit, coughing behind the elderly in Morrisons to see how spritely they are :wink:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Sulky and family - take a bow.

Elvis (alongside Ronan for arranging ) take one too.
Apart from EC's choice of attire I thought this was great. No spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet. Elvis on good form, he is really passionate and knowledgeable about music. And funny.

Steve can join in the curtain call as well - I've loved his calming improvisations, a speck of joy in a sea of sadness.

Colin Top Balcony
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

I’ve been to quite a few EC events over the years to ask him one of two questions and finally he answered both of them in the vid! Cheered me up immensely. :D
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

Interesting EC talks about Dusty Springfield's version of "Losing You (Just A Memory)" from her "White Heat" LP. It was recorded in 1982, but how about the irony that a 25-year old Davey Faragher played bass on that LP! Talk about life coming full circle. Amazing. Surprised EC didn't mention that little bit of trivia.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

FrankieJ wrote:I’ve been to quite a few EC events over the years to ask him one of two questions and finally he answered both of them in the vid! Cheered me up immensely. :D
I thought I heard your name mentioned. :wink:
Nice one! 8)
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Really enjoyed it. I liked his attitude to now not being the time for politics and not to get angry with those having to make the decisions. A time will come but not now.

It's also the most 'English' I've heard him for a while. It would be great if he could do a regular podcast type thing as he clearly has a lot to say and I know plenty would like to listen.

Can't wait for the next tour.
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

Offshoreram wrote:Really enjoyed it. I liked his attitude to now not being the time for politics and not to get angry with those having to make the decisions. A time will come but not now.

It's also the most 'English' I've heard him for a while. It would be great if he could do a regular podcast type thing as he clearly has a lot to say and I know plenty would like to listen.

Need to finish the current tour first :)
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

Always lovely to see our man chatting away about music - and the current situation. If us here will have known a fair few of the stories a lot of others won't. Personally I could have done with more guitar and singing but hey. The main thing I felt is sorry for him, being isolated from the family for two weeks, I'm on day 10 of isolation too, together with my two teenage boys, which is...well, you really should try it some time!

and huge big up to Ronan for his part to initiating Artists4NHS.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Very true. I felt the same way about a lot of the question answers (sorry FrankieJ - the only thing I learned from your question was your first name :lol: ).

It was really enjoyable though.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

JONPD wrote:
Offshoreram wrote:Really enjoyed it. I liked his attitude to now not being the time for politics and not to get angry with those having to make the decisions. A time will come but not now.

Need to finish the current tour first :)
Especially as I have tickets for two of the cancelled show, but you know what I mean :wink:
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

Having been in slight disappointment that Elvis didn’t play for us much in the webcast, I purchased Detour last night from the Tax Dodger’s Prime Video. For some reason I’d steered clear of it until now, a combination of wanting to keep my gig memories pure, a feeling that Elvis doesn’t always come across on camera and wondering if a shakey vocal performance would stand up in the cold light of day.

And I was wrong, it’s been a delight in these slightly dark times! Not knowing the set list has given it a ‘real gig’ frisson (I’ve not finished it yet so no spoilers please!) and eg the acoustic When I Was Cruel counts as a delightful deep cut to me, performed with incredible heart. If anyone else here had steered clear like me, advice is to jump in and savour.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

WindUpWorld wrote:Having been in slight disappointment that Elvis didn’t play for us much in the webcast, I purchased Detour last night from the Tax Dodger’s Prime Video. For some reason I’d steered clear of it until now, a combination of wanting to keep my gig memories pure, a feeling that Elvis doesn’t always come across on camera and wondering if a shakey vocal performance would stand up in the cold light of day.

And I was wrong, it’s been a delight in these slightly dark times! Not knowing the set list has given it a ‘real gig’ frisson (I’ve not finished it yet so no spoilers please!) and eg the acoustic When I Was Cruel counts as a delightful deep cut to me, performed with incredible heart. If anyone else here had steered clear like me, advice is to jump in and savour.
I love When I Was Cruel - both versions - I'd forgotten the video, I might just dig it out and have a watch - oh, but Mrs. Sulky is at home all the time now ..... :( :wink:
verbal gymnastics

I love Elvis’ responses although he has a tendency to over elaborate. Sometimes less is more.
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

There was an interview in Q, I think around the release of MLAR, that began 'The hind leg replacement department of the local donkey hospital has been put on standby...'!
verbal gymnastics

:lol: