"Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Pretty self-explanatory
Goon Squad

Re: "Plotting our return, early in the Leap Year" (2020 UK tour)

Post by Goon Squad »

sulky lad wrote:If they just repeat the same setlist in Sunderland that they did in 1980, I'd be very (Get) Happy!

01. I Stand Accused
02. The Beat
03. Temptation
04. Green Shirt
05. Moods For Moderns
06. Watch Your Step
07. Goon Squad
08. Secondary Modern
09. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
10. Girls Talk
11. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
12. High Fidelity
13. I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
14. Lipstick Vogue
15. King Horse
16. Accidents Will Happen
17. The Imposter
18. Watching The Detectives
19. You Belong To Me
20. Oliver's Army
21. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
22. Pump It Up

with maybe the addition of
Possession
Beaten To The Punch ( in 7ths in case you've forgotten, chaps)
From A Whisper To A Scream
Different Finger and
Big Sister's Clothes
8)
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

New BBC interview ahead of the UK return:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p084q ... RxJddpNfYM
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artis ... man-music/

Rock's one-man army: how Elvis Costello became the angriest man in music
He once carried a bent nail in case of a fight, and called for the Queen Mother's arrest. Now he's an OBE, has Elvis Costello lost his edge?
By Ian Winwood
5 March 2020

On July 22 1977, Elvis Costello stood with an electric guitar and a small amplifier at the entrance to the Hilton Hotel on London’s Park Lane. The venue for a convention for the executive class of CBS and Columbia Records, the 23-year old greeted the arriving dignitaries with a four-song set drawn from his debut album, My Aim Is True, released earlier that year. His tone was one of menace. “If they knew how I felt, they’d bury me alive,” he sang.

His chat was minimal. “I am Elvis Costello,” he said, “sign me.” Alerted to the singer’s presence by an anonymous phone call from Dave Robinson, the co-owner of his label, Stiff Records, Costello was duly arrested by the Metropolitan Police and treated to a night in the cells. But his proactive performance in front of an unwitting audience of bewildered high rollers paid dividends; months later, he signed to CBS and Columbia Records.

Costello had spent years developing his venomous edge playing original songs in unforgiving clubs. He then spent 12-months shopping his demo tape to every label in the country. Despite being better equipped than any other artist to fully capitalise on the promise of punk – and, when the time came, to easily escape its suffocating clutches – no one was interested.

“I went in and said, ‘I’ve got some f______ great songs, why don’t you get off your f______ arse and put them out?’” he told the journalist Allan Jones. He added that “I’m not starry-eyed in the f______ slightest. You can tell what these people are like instinctively. You just have to look at them to know they’re f______ idiots.”

The opinion held. As late as 1986, his final year as part of the Columbia roster, Elvis Costello refused to be photographed with the company’s top brass “in case it turned up as evidence in some FBI mafia investigation”. In response, the label buried the masterful King Of America under a rock. He then signed to Warner Bros. and released the expansive Spike album, the cover of which featured his head mounted on a wall beneath the words "the beloved entertainer".

“That’s what the record companies do now,” he said. “They shoot their artists and hang them like a trophy in the boardroom.”

With Elvis Costello presently embarked on his first tour of Britain in four years, now seems like a good time to mark the astonishing impact of the man who once claimed – wrongly, as it goes – that love “doesn’t exist in my [earliest] songs.” These days looking like the world’s cuddliest uncle, in 1977 he arrived into the public space like a visitor from the planet Aggro, armed only with a ream of flawless, literate and vengeful songs that were the envy of all.

Provocative and aggressive, in one early interview he claimed to carry with him a little black book that contained the names of his enemies, as well as a giant bent nail that would prove useful in a fight. In concert, he and The Attractions, his supremely talented backing band, would literally sprint onto the stage and smash their way through half a dozen songs before anyone in the room had the chance to draw breath.

He learnt to utilise the energy and economy of punk after spending an entire night listening to The Clash’s self-titled debut album on headphones in the flat in suburban West London he shared with his first wife and their newborn son. At first outraged by music that sounded like “a sea lion barking over a load of pneumatic drills”, the following morning he wrote Watching The Detectives, his first hit single. “You snatch a tune and you match your cigarette, she pulls their eyes out with a face like a magnet,” he sang.

His music was often deeply sinister. “Listen to the decent people, though you treat them just like sheep, put them all in boots and khaki, blame it all upon the darkies,” he sang on Sunday’s Best. Costello was adept at sniffing the air and spelling out the logical conclusions of the times in which he lived. Describing the shaven-headed goons of the National Front, he warned that “you think they’re so dumb, you think they’re so funny, wait until they’ve got you running to the night rally.”

The critics loved him, a state of universal adoration that led David Lee Roth to observe that “most journalists like Elvis Costello because most journalists look like Elvis Costello.” Linda Ronstadt covered the songs Alison and Party Girl – much to their author’s theatrical disdain – while Elton John, upon receiving the award for album of the year from Capital Radio in 1978, opined that the prize should have gone to Costello’s eviscerating This Year’s Model.

By this point, Elvis Costello & The Attractions were throwing out albums at the rate of one a year, some of them masterpieces. The band undertook six American tours in just 18 months – the front of their tour bus read Camp Lejeune, the facility in Jacksonville, North Carolina, at which US Marines are lashed into shape - with predictably chaotic results.

Keeping company with Bebe Buell, Costello woke the model in the middle of the night and accused her of dreaming about someone else. In a drunken argument with members of the Steven Stills Band in a hotel bar in Columbus, Ohio, in 1979 he issued insults that, were they spoken today, would end his career in an instant.

“It was at that point that everything – whether it be my self-perpetrated venom - was about to engulf me,” he told Rolling Stone magazine in 1982. “I was, I think, rapidly becoming not a very nice person. I was losing track of what I was doing, why I was doing it, and my own control.”

The set list now being played by Elvis Costello & The Imposters – the band The Attractions became following the departure of bassist Bruce Thomas - for audiences from Southampton to Edinburgh leans heavily on material from this period. As well as much else, the three-week caravan offers listeners of a certain age the chance to recall the time when Costello haunted the singles charts with songs that featured words such as “torture”, “victim”, and “capital punishment”.

They’ll also hear Oliver’s Army, the most subversive smash-hit single in British chart history. With a piano trill knowingly lifted from Abba’s Dancing Queen, the track is both a perfect pop song and a neat inquisition into the nasty habit of imperialism to “always get a working class boy to do the killing.” Featuring references to Palestine and Johannesburg, the single sold half a million copies in the UK alone; it might have sold even more in the United States were it not for its author’s refusal to scrub the phrase “white n_____” from its second verse.

Despite its bounty of glorious songs, Elvis Costello’s current reliance on his most iconic period is not without problems for anyone who believes that his status as the finest songwriter of his generation endured beyond the point at which he stopped being a pop star. For an artist that has often enjoyed an ambivalent relationship with his most popular songs, this spring’s British excursion is so lacking in deep cuts that it could be staunched with a Kleenex.

For some, this is good news. There is a body of opinion that maintains that Costello lost his edge after he signed with Warner Bros. and, for a time at least, dispensed with the services of The Attractions. Writing during this time, the journalist Nick Kent opined that “his most recent albums… have been full of wit and detail but lack an awful lot as well – memorable melodies certainly, ‘focus’ perhaps and the old ‘intensity’ definitely.”

Kent is talking nonsense, for once At least one of the albums from this period, 1991’s Mighty Like A Rose, features songs that are at least as scabrous as anything to which the singer had placed his name. From the turbulent The Other Side Of Summer – “the dancing was desperate, the music worse, they bury your dreams and dig up the worthless” – to the doubtful Couldn’t Call It Unexpected No. 4 – “I can’t believe I’ll never believe in anything again” – this is not an LP content to recline in the La-Z-Boy chair of encroaching middle age.

Starker still is Tramp The Dirt Down, from Spike. An ode to the death of Margaret Thatcher, it remains one of the most remarkable political songs of the 20th Century. The track identifies the Prime Minister by name, and contains the sentiment “when they finally put you in the ground I’ll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down.” In a final chorus that is even more striking, the lyric imagines mourners at Mrs Thatcher’s funeral who “stand there laughing [and then] tramp the dirt down.”

Speaking about the song on the BBC programme Arena, in 1989, Costello appeared so aggrieved that he struggled to find the words with which to express his contempt. “I’m not some little kid where they can say ‘there there, you’re having your moment of protest,’” he said. “I’m 35-years old. I’m a man. And I’m f______ sick of it, what’s going on in this country.”

In concert at the Hammersmith Odeon, in the summer of 1991 the singer went further still. With John Major in office, and with his predecessor granting endless interviews to the press, he sang of pitying “those who forgot and forgave [because] I think she should be hounded down into her grave.” Training his sights on the House of Windsor, he also added lines about “kicking the royal cuckoos out of the nest, and putting the Queen Mother under arrest.”

As late as 2012, Costello told an audience at the Royal Albert Hall that “I’ve been an anti-royalist all my life.” This antipathy, though, wasn’t enough to stop him pootling off to Buckingham Palace last month to receive an OBE from Prince Charles for services to music. “I am, perhaps, closer in spirit to Eric Morecambe than Harold Pinter,” he said last year, “as anyone who has heard me play the piano will attest.”

He added that “it would be a lie to claim that I was brought up to have a great loyalty to the crown, let alone notions of Empire. I used to think that a change might come but when one considers the kind of mediocre entrepreneur who might be foisted upon us as a President, it’s enough to make the most hard-hearted “Republican” long for an ermine stole, a sceptre and an orb.

And, anyway, “to be honest… [this honour] confirms my long held suspicion that nobody really listens to the words in songs or the outcome might have been somewhat different.”

An apparent softening of his attitude to what he once described as “the fag-ends of the aristocracy” is not the only sign of change. In common with most musicians of late middle age, Elvis Costello’s recorded output has slowed to the extent that only three studio albums have emerged in the past decade. Of these, the most recent – Look Now, issued in 2018 – is the equal of anything he has recorded in the last 43-years.

Even so, one cannot help but wonder what has happened to the explosion of songs that have peppered so much of his career. In 1993, when preparing the flawless Brutal Youth LP, Costello knocked out six in a day, each of which made it onto the record (“I did have to have a lie down after that,” he said). In 1992, he received a letter from Wendy James, the former singer with Transvision Vamp, asking him to contribute a track to her solo album; instead, he went to the park and composed the entire record in a single afternoon.

“She danced like an ambulance, talked like a cartoon mouse, she took off her clothes and it brought down the house,” he wrote.

Back in the days when Elvis Costello liked to occasionally make life difficult, in 2002 he appeared onstage at an awards ceremony for Q magazine. This time playing inside the Hilton Hotel, he performed the tricky When I Was Cruel No. 2, from that year’s When I Was Cruel album. Seven-minutes long and a complicated sell for an audience that was not his own, the song drew the irritation of John Lydon seated at a table near to the stage. During the ceremony the former Sex Pistol shouted, “You were boring [back] then, and you’re boring now.”

For once, Costello was equanimous about his detractor. Writing in his autobiography, Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, he said that “nothing can touch you if you’ve already made Pretty Vacant and Poptones [by Public Image Ltd.].”

Despite Elvis Costello’s current desire to douse his audience in (fabulous) songs from a receding age, the same can be said of the man that made I Want You and Little Palaces, God’s Comic and London’s Brilliant Parade, and All These Strangers and Tripwire, too.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters are on tour in United Kingdom until March 18

This piece is part of Behind the Music – a weekly series celebrating music's untold stories, from band-splitting feuds to the greatest performances of all time.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Seen all 4 shows so far - all commendably spectacular. For those of you who know my foibles, I’d like to reassure you that, like harvest festival, Speedo swimming trunks and my great aunties bloomers, “all is safely gathered in “ :wink:but a new laptop is posing me some issues along with variable WiFi accessibilities so I may have to resort to waiting until I return home on 14th (coincidentally also my wedding anniversary) to send my children out into the wild and wicked world! And if you don’t get any of this it probably doesn’t matter too much anyway . Back to sleep , train to Glasgow later today from Carlisle hoping they’ve fixed the railway line in the meantime !!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Sulky - you are an absolute hero in going to EVERY show. I is well jealous innit.

As you are the man for the setlists, could you add the other songs included eg Pump it up in Southampton included Ain't that a lotta love. It's interesting because reading another review, he added something else.

These are important matters for Costellogists (copyright Mini VG2).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
krm

Post by krm »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Very important matters!
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Sulky - you are an absolute hero in going to EVERY show. I is well jealous innit.

As you are the man for the setlists, could you add the other songs included eg Pump it up in Southampton included Ain't that a lotta love. It's interesting because reading another review, he added something else.

Pump It Up in Nottingham contained a bit of Subterranean Homesick Blues.
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

I agree that EC’s song interpolations are critical matters for board members far and wide, myself included. Slow Down in Pump It Up at the Attractions run of Shepherd’s Bush Empire shows was an elevating delight. As were The Monkees breaking into God’s Comic at the Palladium way back (well I saw her face and I’m a believer / now I’m dead, now I’m dead, now I’m dead, now I’m dead....).

This has got me very excited about Hammersmith next week. Not that I wasn’t already you understand.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Sulky - you are an absolute hero in going to EVERY show. I is well jealous innit.

Thanks VG, I wish we could have shared them all together (though I might have OD'd on Big Macs :roll: :wink:)
The correct setlist for Southampton will appear shortly under that thread whilst monitoring Glasgow - what a whizz I am at multi-tasking! :shock:
verbal gymnastics

In light of the Oxford announcement, the bad news is the AXS have sent a message to say all 3 dates have been postponed and information on rescheduled dates will be announced in 2 weeks.

Personally it’s difficult to see when new dates would be rearranged. Nobody has any idea how long and what impact the Coronavirus will have on the country. I suspect refunds will be issued.

Wasn’t the tour last year initially “postponed” and then cancelled? I seem to recall that happening with Southend.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:In light of the Oxford announcement, the bad news is the AXS have sent a message to say all 3 dates have been postponed and information on rescheduled dates will be announced in 2 weeks.

Personally it’s difficult to see when new dates would be rearranged. Nobody has any idea how long and what impact the Coronavirus will have on the country. I suspect refunds will be issued.

Wasn’t the tour last year initially “postponed” and then cancelled? I seem to recall that happening with Southend.
Absolutely right - the shows were initially "only" postponed and everyone was excited trying to predict when the shows would reappear.
However, then the cause was Elvis' ill health - this time round it's beyond his control -but whether he could reschedule here seems unlikely . The biggest disappointment is that I bought two seats from Viagogo to enable me to sit with my son and I'm not sure I'll get my money back from them for two VERY expensive seats!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299018[b]

IT IS WITH GREAT REGRET THAT WE ARE ANNOUNCING THE POSTPONEMENT OF THE THREE REMAINING SHOWS OF THE "JUST TRUST UK 2020 TOUR". [/b]

It is with great regret that we are announcing the postponement of the three remaining shows of the "Just Trust UK 2020 Tour".

In Oxford, New Theatre, Cardiff, Wales Millennium Centre and Birmingham, Symphony Hall.

We are disappointed not to be bringing our show to you but trust you will agree that this is for the best.

We want you all to be safe and well.

In the face of foggy or incoherent leadership, which has the appearance of being more focused on the stock market than on people's welfare, it sadly falls to us strolling players to call a halt to our tour. All the most sober (and least hysterical), medical and scientific advisories now suggest that we would all do better to lessen our exposure to and communication of, the current contagion.

I nevertheless want to thank everyone who has attended our shows and acknowledge that many people have continued to do so even as the gravity of the situation became more apparent. I think we have all been trying to be optimistic. We hoped to offer a little musical balance to our more irrational fears but I know now that we must take this course.

The sentiments that I expressed from the stage of Hammersmith Apollo, on Friday night are much as I would write to you today; take care of the little ones, take care of the older folks, who are more vulnerable, please applaud and support the brave NHS staff and other health workers who are really in the front line and let us not surrender to unreasonable fear or let dread or false motive divide where we might better pull together.

It is especially difficult to curtail another U.K. tour, after what happened in 2018 but if you're asking, I'm fine, thank you. We have all taken every sensible precaution with our band and crew to keep well and really to bring you the best show possible. We will be back at the earliest possible occasion to play for you again, when all of this is behind us.

Finally, I want to thank all of our technical and support crew, the drivers that get us safely to the shows along with all we need to perform. Most of all I want to acknowledge the friendship and support of Steve, Pete and Davey - The Imposters, the best band in any land - with all our thanks to our wonderful singers, Kitten Kuroi and Briana Lee for their peerless musical contribution, energy and spirit.

We are all in this together.

Please take care of yourselves and we will see you in just a little while.

Your friend through music. Elvis Costello
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Beautifully written and expressed...

...and he couldn’t resist a dig at the Government!
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

I wonder how much of the cancellation was driven by the need to get home before the flight restrictions from the UK to the US kicks in.

No need to hang around seeing Liverpool crowned champions anymore

Just time for a quick trip to see his mum then on to the airport.

For the record, I think the seemingly constant need from many quarters to politicise the current crisis is unnecessary.
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Offshoreram wrote:
For the record, I think the seemingly constant need from many quarters to politicise the current crisis is unnecessary.
Agreed. When Wayne Rooney has to make an anti- government point about it, it’s clearly gone too far. I’m no Tory but I thought the response in the press conference on Thursday was balanced, sensible and driven by the scientific evidence.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Offshoreram wrote:I wonder how much of the cancellation was driven by the need to get home before the flight restrictions from the UK to the US kicks in.

No need to hang around seeing Liverpool crowned champions anymore

Just time for a quick trip to see his mum then on to the airport.

Doubt if Boris will take any notice of this . As an NHS laboratory scientist of over 37 years it pissed me right off to see him in a lab attempting to do some pipetting for the cameras. I wouldn’t have let him near any of my equipment in my lab for a cheap publicity stunt to prove how much he cares. My wife also picked up on his awful handwashing technique, where he picked up the soap dispenser with his unwashed hand - prat.

Elvis’ statement says more about his humanity and concern for all involved compared to the hunt for a sound bite or photo opportunity from this jackass Prime Minister.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Fishfinger king wrote:
Offshoreram wrote:
Agreed. When Wayne Rooney has to make an anti- government point about it, it’s clearly gone too far. I’m no Tory but I thought the response in the press conference on Thursday was balanced, sensible and driven by the scientific evidence.
But you’re right here FFK, that balance between the science and the government was good - it’s just that BJ had to take it several steps too far to try and look good !
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

sulky lad wrote:
Fishfinger king wrote:
Offshoreram wrote:
But you’re right here FFK, that balance between the science and the government was good - it’s just that BJ had to take it several steps too far to try and look good !
I would expect politicians to politicise events. It's their job. Whether you agree with the government or not, they are following a line of 'expert advise', which has not been totally disagreed with by other 'experts'. Personally I don't need footballers or pop stars to tell me what is or is not the correct advice. Also I don't need to watch BJ pretending to do science or wash his hands to be reassured but I'm sure some in society will.

I'd imagine Elvis cancelling remaining shows will have insurance complications, especially when the official line is to carry on. At least for the next week.

However, with current travel restrictions coming in soon, and probably more to follow, the suggestion is that people get to where they need to be (home) sooner rather than later.

I'm as disappointed as anyone with the cancellations, especially as I have a ticket for Oxford and had sourced one for Birmingham.

I'm really going to struggle over the next few weeks with the lack of gigs and sports. I didn't realise how much my life revolves around them.
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch wrote:https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299018[b]

IT IS WITH GREAT REGRET THAT WE ARE ANNOUNCING THE POSTPONEMENT OF THE THREE REMAINING SHOWS OF THE "JUST TRUST UK 2020 TOUR". [/b]

(...)

Seems like there are already plans to come back to the UK/ Europe in the near future.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a European tour this fall.
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

sweetest punch wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299018[b]

(...)

Seems like there are already plans to come back to the UK/ Europe in the near future.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a European tour this fall.
I hope that is the case. It would be an amazing feeling after a locked up spring and summer to see our favourite. The UK shows have been received incredibly well.
verbal gymnastics

If “just a little while” is like when Mrs VG is getting ready to go out then God knows! :lol:
sinatra57

Post by sinatra57 »

Other "experts", not all other opinions are "political.

Richard Horton, editor-in-chief of the Lancet, said the government was “playing roulette with the public”.

“Social distancing has worked in China, Singapore and other countries,” said Alan McNally, professor of microbial evolutionary genomics at Birmingham University. “There needs to be a combination of social distancing and extensive testing, followed by the quarantining of infected individuals to contain the epidemic – and that quarantine should not be at home, where we will see large levels of familial transmission, but in dedicated quarantine facilities.”

Dr William Hanage, professor of the evolution and epidemiology of infectious disease at Harvard, "The UK should not be trying to create herd immunity, that will take care of itself. Policy should be directed at slowing the outbreak to a (more) manageable rate. What this looks like is strong social distancing. Call a halt to large gatherings. Educate people about masks and how they should be reserved for the medical professionals who need them. All this and more should have started weeks ago."
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:If “just a little while” is like when Mrs VG is getting ready to go out then God knows! :lol:
If it’s like his tours does that mean every two years to get ready? :shock: :D
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

Once the travel band was extended to the UK they had to make the call to leave latest Monday or deal with a 2 week quarantine on return.

I decided to stay in the USA Thursday, the confusion around the EU ban made me concerned it was a matter of time before they added the UK.

So sad and could not even find a home for my tickets after a friend decided last minute not to risk the crowds. Looks like i missed a great show . I do think the band are better off being back in their homes and then making their own decisions on travel and "social distancing".

Hope to see some shows later in the year but my guess in New Orleans and Dallas will be no go's :( :( :(

David
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Chicago has stopped all shows, bars and restaurants til at least May 1st. I know he had nothing scheduled here but Dr fauci says there needs to be more social distancing throughout the states. Expect postponement of many events. Record store day and Coachella, for example.