Elvis & The Imposters play Palace Theatre, Manchester, March 12, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Palace Theatre, Manchester, March 12, 2020

Post by Man out of Time »

The JustTrust UK 2020 Tour includes three dates in the North West. The third of these in at the Palace Theatre in Manchester on Thursday March 12, 2020. Surprisingly Elvis has only played this venue once before; on the Lonely World Tour with Steve Nieve in 1999. Elvis has played the Bridgewater Hall and Apollo Theatre in Manchester more often.

Elvis was due to play the Sounds Of The City Festival at Castlefields Bowl in Manchester last year, with the Imposters, but had to cancel along with some other dates on the European Tour.

Prior to announcing the dates and locations for the tour, Elvis tweeted a series of images on Twitter, as clues to the show venues, including this one.
The 39 Steps
The 39 Steps
01.jpeg (63.3 KiB) Viewed 20943 times
This clue was the French language film poster for Hitchcock's adaptation of John Buchan's novel, the 39 Steps. In the film, our hero Richard Hannay is a Canadian visitor to London. The film locations include the London Palladium, which led some Fan Forum members to suggest that as a concert venue for the tour. However, Elvis intended the poster to point to Manchester, birthplace of Robert Donat, who played Hannay.

Ticket prices start at £55.40 rising to an eye-watering £111.50 + fees for seats in the front row.
It will be interesting to see how well this midweek show sells, alongside other tour dates in Liverpool and Blackpool.

Who is going?

MOOT
Harry Worth

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Palace Theatre, Manchester, March 12, 2020

Post by Harry Worth »

Two and an half hours, set much the same as other nights. Voice ropey for the first few songs before a sip of the magic juice and got into gear on Tokyo Storm Warning.
Many highlights, but Detectives was sublime! American without Tears, Whisper to a scream, all the Get Happy track and PL&U all fantastic.
Wonderful stage set too!
As Mrs Worth has just remarked "On Fire!"
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Most importantly-
Elvis announced from the stage that Sebastian Krys is remixing a version of This Year’s Model with Elvis’ voice being taken off it and “it’ll blow you mind “ - to which I have to say - what’s the point ??

Great show, his voice is as fine as it was in 2016 - we got Tokyo Storm Earning, The Look Of Love going into Photographs Can Lie, the piano version of American Without Tears, Radio Radio and American Gangster Tine as the first song of the encores and possibly the answer to Oliver’s Army end lyrics ,
“The BBC will ask us for forgiveness “ - bollocks I’ve forgotten the rest - something the truth and cut the lies with scissors- I only had one drink with Colin TB too !
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Agree that it was a great show, I've only seen Liverpool and Manchester this time out, Liverpool was fine, but man, he was on fire last night. Really going for it. I took a longtime friend and serious Dylan fan - we take each other to our idols' gigs from time to time as a kind of competition, I suppose. Last night he said 'fair enough, that was something - Bob doesn't really do it like that any more'.

We got the two versions of 'American Without Tears' segued into one?

I also love the way Kitten and Briana work, and commented to my friend that it's a bit like the backing singers on Dylan's 'Brownsville Girl' - you can tell they've had a brief chat about what they're going to do, but not mapped it out to the letter, so it retains a delightfully improvisational feel. A great night, and I'm so glad I did both gigs. I'm now toying with Birmingham, as a friend has a spare ticket...coronavirus allowing, of course.

I'm also a bit 'what's the point?' about taking his vocals off an LP but he's said it enough times now to make me think it's not a wind-up. And there was a slide near the very end (perhaps even after they'd all left the stage?) that said 'Two Sides of Elvis Costello' - sounded more like the title of an LP/project than a random slide?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

The aforementioned slide had an angelic and a devil cartoon Elvis either side of a heart ,(I think) and Elvis was really tardy as the left to the sound of “Where’s Me Shirt” a Ken Dodd and the Didfymen record !
Hazya

Post by Hazya »

Must say Elvis was on fire, my favourites for the night were American Without Tears and American Gangster Time. We were sat close to the mixing desk and must say the sound was fantastic, apart from a couple sat in front who were obviously not fans and decided to talk to each other for first half hour and two ladies to their right, although fans talked very loudly and were very intoxicated. Now I know why I always try to get front row seats.

Decided to wear my new PeLe t-shirt and after gig went to purchase another Costello one. While waiting in line Ian shouts across "I have a fan". Got talking with him and he asked where I was from, when told him Little Sutton (where he comes from)' he was very interested why we hadn't met before. I told him been a big fan of Amsterdam since mid 1990's. Mrs Hayza and I had a picture taken with him, such a great guy and looks so chuffed to be part of this tour and off we went into the night. Saw Elvis' coach parked up around back, but had to get off, so didn't get to meet him this time.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sulky lad wrote: ...left to the sound of “Where’s Me Shirt”...
and the Anfield postcode projected : 666. So in Liverpool they exited to the Devil's Tune and now in Mudchester to the Devil's Number.

Everything is subjective of course, but this was a great show for me too. Best experience of my three seated gigs. Best sound and best seat. EC asked at one point if the audience could hear ok since they had an issue on stage with the monitors "...that's the problem with these Charles Hawtrey's...". Perhaps the problem all along has really been those earpieces!
Sulky in another thread has posed and answered his own question 'what's the difference between a good gig and a great one?' Think for me a common determinant is 'how well can I hear Steve?' last night from where I sat he was crystal clear clarity. Steve's sound, for me, was huge part of why The Attractions were the best band around. At Imposters gigs Elvis over the years seems to have cranked up his guitar at the expense of vocals and keyboards, last night balance was restored.
Of course the songs matter too. Loved piano version of American Without Tears, guitar version of Can't Stand Up and all-too-current version of Tokyo Storm Warning.
I can also say I don't see the point of the Elvis-less This Year's Model either. And of course I'll buy it the day it's released.
4 unforgettable gigs for me, I really hope that he gets to finish the full tour.
Coin Top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Setlist :-
1. Strict Time
2. Clubland
3. Green Shirt
4. Accidents Will Happen
5. Watch Your Step
6. Tokyo Storm Warning
7. The Look Of Love - Photographs Can Lie
8. (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea
9. Suspect My Tears
10. Mystery Dance
11. Watching The Detectives- Invisible Lady
12. American Without Tears
13. Good Year For The Roses
14. A Face In The Crowd
15. I Can’t Stand Up (For Falling Down )
16. High Fidelity
17. From A Whisper To A Scream
18. Radio Radio
19. Alison - I’m Gonna Make You Love Me
20. Everyday I Write The Book - Mr. Big Stuff- The End Of The Road
21. Pump It Up
22. American Gangster Time
23.Oliver’s Army
24. (What’s So Funny’Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
Also forgot to mention the opening slides included one of what I thought was Ned Kelly but turned out to someone wearing an upturned bucket as a
Improvised gas mask and then a further slide of Union men with gas masks - he also mentioned Andrea Bocelli in the list of Grammy nominees and said “ he’s not doing so well at the moment , no doubt referring to Italy’s crisis with Covid 19.
I know you might be otherwise engaged tonight MOOT but could you do the honours fir the wiki at some stage please ?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.manches ... 0436.amp[b]

Review: Elvis Costello and the Imposters at the Palace Theatre[/b]

Twenty-four songs, covering a multitude of genres are rolled out over a blistering two-hour set

He's enjoyed a career spanning six decades, written songs with Paul McCartney, performed with Roy Orbison and been ranked the 80th greatest artist of all time by Rolling Stone magazine.

But it's unlikely the famous Buddy Holly-lookalike on stage has ever performed in circumstances quite like this.

With shows and events falling victim to the coronavirus and the Cobra committee with each passing hour, a thousand or so middle-aged Elvis Costello fans are gathered in the luxurious surroundings of the Palace Theatre to self-isolate themselves from the growing sense of panic outside.

Whether attending the concert at all is a good idea or not is open to debate, but when the tour is called the Just Trust Elvis Costello, what are you going to do?

"How have you been?" he asks after taking to the stage, admitting the question gets more and more poignant by the minute. "We didn't expect we would be with you tonight."

Still he doesn't seem overly concerned.

There are no face masks in the crowd and there's plenty of loo roll in the gents, and while there is a small queue for the hand gel, there's also palpable sense of determination among the crowd to enjoy the night...with a half expectation that men in CSI coats could storm in and shut things down at any moment.

And Elvis makes sure we get our money's worth before we all head off into confinement with just a few LPs for company.

Twenty-four songs, covering a multitude of genres are rolled out over a blistering two-hour set.

As you'd expect from a man who'd to take the name of the King, he's not uncomfortable in the limelight, lapping up the rapturous reception and striking up an easy rapport with the locals, throwing in a few Hillary Clinton-eque finger points to individuals in the audience for good measure.

The show kicks off with Strict Time, which in all honesty is not strictly in time, but things tighten up with the Latin rhythm-infused Clubland, which follows it.

Poor Elvis is clearly still reeling from his beloved Liverpool being dumped out of Europe the night before - and perhaps United's 5-0 triumph earlier in the evening - treating us to a frankly unwarranted six figure salute, and the promise that there will only be one team playing in red next year's Champions League.

Bless.

The set is at times plagued by technical problems with the ear pieces - inevitably blamed on the virus - but even the odd mistimed vocal line can't derail an almighty version of Watching the Detectives, while (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea is another early tour de force, likewise underpinned by an irresistible 1970s reggae bassline.

Flanked by two members of his original backing band The Attractions and two accomplished backing singers, the quality is the musicianship is matched only by the versatility of the performance, and the show loses none of its intensity when Elvis takes to the piano for a more ballad-focused segment, of which, A Good Year for the Roses is a stand out.

An all seater venue, but the crowd finds its feet when he re-dons his guitar for Pump it Up, which retains every inch of the primeval, punk organ thump of the 1978 original.

It's a rip-roaring set, drawing on a back catalogue of classic songs spanning decades, and demonstrating a mastery of genres, from punk to gospel and country to reggae, while never straying too far from his tradmark low-fi, DIY ethic.

Following a recent cancer scare, it feels like a reappraisal and celebration of a life's body of work.

He even shares news of plans for a return to Palace Theatre with a musical stage show currently in development.

The concert ends on a high with the soaring anti-militarist double of Oliver's Army and (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding, both performed beneath the ghostly pictures of child soldiers from The Great War and the words 'Don't Join'.

As the man said, Trust Elvis.

Except perhaps when it comes to football predictions...or guidance on staying safe from the coronavirus.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.