Elvis & the Imposters play City Hall, Sheffield, 7th March 2020.

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & the Imposters play City Hall, Sheffield, 7th March 2020.

Post by sweetest punch »

They usually play this sequence: Mr. and Mrs. Hush / Getting Mighty Crowdy.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

johnanderson wrote:I’m sure that Getting Mighty Crowded should be in there.

And something else too.

Not “Something Else”, although I’d like to hear that. I mean another song :D

"Proper" setlist to follow in about an hour !!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

OK

1. Strict Time
2. Clubland
3. Green Shirt
4 Accidents Will Happen
5. Watch Your Step
6. Just About Glad
7. Harry Worth
8. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
9. Suspect My Tears
10. Unwanted Number - 99 1/2 Won't Do -
Billy Jean ( just a line - " Billy Jean Is Not My Lover"
11. Watching The Detectives
12. Good Year For The Roses - EC on piano
13. A Face In The Crowd - EC on piano
14. I Can't Stand Up (For Falling Down ) ballad version - EC on piano
15. The Greatest Love - EC on piano
16. Mystery Dance ( echo microphone)
17. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
18. High Fidelity
19. From A Whisper To A Scream
20. Alison - I'm Gonna Make You Love me
21. Mr. And Mrs. Hush - Getting Mighty Crowded
22. Pump It Up
23. Flutter And Wow
24. Everyday I Write The Book - Mr. Big Stuff
25. Oliver's Army
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding

A nice few anecdotes about their early days in Sheffield where there was more action in the dressing rooms than on stage and how the wife in the story about the couple on Harry Worth eventually ran off with the bass player though EC then emphasised that it wasn't Davey - being very careful in his protection of him !
No "The End Of the Road" tacked onto Everyday I Write The Book. There wasn't quite a segue between Can't Stand Up and The Greatest Love but Mr. And Mrs. Hush went straightinto Getting Mighty Crowded but they did play the whole song
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Only because i know it matters to you too....BILLIE JEAN
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Loved this show.

Different experience to Liverpool as I was seated in the stalls this time. I slightly disagree with Sulky, the sound was a bit disappointing where we were. Elvis's vocals way too low in the mix for my tastes.But his energy and the band's performance were full on.

I'd give top marks to the three songs from the Get Happy!! era - Can't Stand Up, High fidelity and Getting Mighty Crowded. After JustTrust, I yearn for a Just ( ie Only) Get Happy!! tour.

And extra points for ditching the Devil's Tune as his apres-set music in favour of Nelly the Elephant.

Colin Top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:Only because i know it matters to you too....BILLIE JEAN
Thanks, BA - I should have looked it up shouldn’t I? My paternal grandad was a Billy so maybe it was natural to think of his spelling !
PLU :D
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.examine ... 888477.amp

Elvis Costello and The Imposters at Sheffield City Hall - review, setlist and more
An army of fans loved his performance on Saturday evening
4 stars (out of 5)

It’s Saturday night in Sheffield, what do you say?’ Declan MacManus cries out a handful of chords into his show in the heart of South Yorkshire on a drizzle-flecked weekend evening.

Outside, the wind is starting to get up, but nestled in the Grade II-listed City Hall, the man best known as Elvis Costello is holding court in rambling, intermittently baggy but mostly engaged fashion.

“We’ve been backstage with the holy water and burning sage,” he quips, “because there were a few scenes back there in 1978, I can tell you!”

It was a real pleasure to see the 65-year-old Paddington native back on stage filled with vim and vigour. As, Two-years-ago, Costello was forced to suspend a run of shows after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

He was backed by his current band The Imposters, on Saturday evening, which includes two players from The Attractions in the shape of pianist Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas – as they work their way through a two-and-a-quarter-hour set that spans the gamut of his career.

There’s a looser feel to both him and Nieve than the rest of the show, the pair often seem to drizzle notes and melodies over taut backing rhythms rather than adhere to the right notes in the right order, leading to a particularly improvised feel throughout.

Opener Strict Time mixes guitar fuzz and piano grooves; Clubland rears up with choppy bursts; Green Shirt burbles with underlaying shots of synth organ. A clutch of songs from his 2018 Grammy-winning record Look Now prove pleasingly watertight compositions amid the insidious slink of Watching the Detectives.

When Costello takes to the keys himself for a trio of ballads – Good Year for the Roses, A Face in the Crowd and a gospel-tinged version of I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down – there is a noticeable lag of energy from some quarters of the crowd, particularly as the latter breaks down into elongated soloing.

But the old school boogie of Mystery Dance brings the tempo back to full speed and from there, it becomes a practical romp through the hits; Alison, Pump It Up, Everyday I Write the Book among them.

After a funked-up outro from the latter allows for band introductions, Costello looks relatively set to exit stage right – but he serves up a final one-two punch of Oliver’s Army and (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding that has scores of middle-aged punters dancing with hip-restricted shuffles in the aisles. Now that’s a finish.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hip restricted shuffles !!
Cheeky bastard , I was leading the way with a funky soul groove that made Kitten weep with envy :shock: :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Has it been confirmed that Elvis had prostate cancer? I've never seen an interview where he's volunteered this.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sulky lad wrote:Hip restricted shuffles !!
Cheeky bastard , I was leading the way with a funky soul groove that made Kitten weep with envy :shock: :wink:
Pretty impressive for a middle-aged punter.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

docinwestchester wrote:
sulky lad wrote:Hip restricted shuffles !!
Pretty impressive for a middle-aged punter.
Not when only 5 or 6 seconds elapse before I’m reduced to Dad- dancing shuffle :shock:
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Dominic Walsh posted at AtTheBarrier.com on 9 March 2020:

"Elvis Costello – Sheffield City Hall: Live Review

An intro tape with a preacher pontificating is an apt sound for a man like Elvis Costello to take the stage to. He’s a musical preacher himself. Decked out in a sparkly jacket and red tie, Costello looked dapper as he and his ‘Imposters’ played a riveting set in the grand surroundings of Sheffield City Hall.

‘It’s Saturday night Sheffield…whaddya say?!’ chirps Costello amongst an opening duo from 1981’s Trust LP in the form of Strict Time and a wonderfully salsa tinged Clubland. ‘JusTrust’ is the name of the tour – it feels only appropriate that there is a generous smattering of material from Trust. Watch Your Step and From A Whisper To A Scream also made the set from the same album. The latter was a real highlight as the night progressed.

Accidents Will Happen, Greenshirt, (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea are all aired early doors, amongst cuts from 2008’s Momofuku, Brutal Youth and the bands latest LP, Look Now.

In the first of many lengthy interactions with the crowd, Costello reminisced about how it’s been six years since he was in Sheffield with a band, as well as how good it was opening the tour in Liverpool as ‘his mam was there!’ In a remark about how he didn’t think his 90+ year old mother would make it a couple of years ago, Costello remarked that the same could have been said for him (after his battle with cancer). It is with this poignancy and reflection that you take a moment to really comprehend the fact that you are in the presence of greatness, and just how much of a treasure Costello is. Anecdotes continued with a story about when Costello accidentally attended someones wedding inspired the song, Henry Worth.

One of the best things about the show was just seeing Elvis Costello back on stage, enjoying himself and showcasing some of the finest songs ever written. Whilst there were plenty of older cuts to satisfy the crowd, the material from Look Now was really quite special as well.
Photo credit: Mike Ainscoe  / atthebarrier.com
Photo credit: Mike Ainscoe / atthebarrier.com
2020-03-xx sheffield photo 01 ma.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 13804 times
‘We won a Grammy in the traditional pop category with Andrea Bocelli, John legend, Michael Buble, and the mistress of voodoo, Barbara Streisand.’ The extremely souful Suspect My Tears was rapturously received, as was Unwanted Number. Both tracks saw Costello using a falsetto style vocal whilst his backing singers gave both songs a Muscle Shoals, gospel soul feel. A little interpolation of Billie Jean also showed the playfulness that the band can have with their repertoire. Costello’s swagger was enthralling as he seemed to be thoroughly enjoying his Saturday night in Sheffield.

With Costello at the piano and backing singers, Briana Lee and Kitten Kurroi sharing a mic, Good Year For The Roses was another delightful cut. What followed was arguably the highlight of the night; I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down completely re-imagined as a soulful, gospel blues number. Again, this made it sound as if it should have been cut at Muscle Shoals.

Another run of ‘classics’ followed in the form of the punchy Mystery Dance, a rousing High Fidelity and an always sublime Alison. It can’t be emphasised just how good this band is. They are tight to the nail and the showcasing of the backing singers, being upfront with Costello, shows their importance to the bands sound in 2020.

Pump It Up unsurprisingly brought people dancing in the aisles. A huge standing ovation followed before Flutter & Wow and an emphatic version of Everyday I Write The Book which included more snippets and band intros.

Described as too wiggly for ballet school by Costello, Kitten Kuroi (backing singer) took a quick vocal solo before her counterpart, Briana Lee (who according to Costello is mischievous and brings mayhem and magic) reciprocated.

‘Professor’ Steve Nieve got his nod as well as bassist, Davey Farragher and the drummer; who according to Costello is full of Sheffield steel; got his bow for his hometown crowd.

When all was said and done and the final strains of Oliver’s Army and (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love & Understanding faded, the only conclusion to draw is that this evening was a resounding success. The multiple standing ovations proved it.

A superior showman and ringleader, Elvis Costello is an artist for the ages. With songs and swagger in abundance, Costello showed just why he is such a revered artist.

You can read our review of Elvis Costello’s special guest on the tour, Ian Prowse, here."

More photos by Mike Ainscoe on the page at Atthebarrier.com.

But "the drummer"? Not enough respect for Powerful Pierre methinks.

MOOT