Elvis & the Imposters play City Hall, Sheffield, 7th March 2020.

Pretty self-explanatory
Pars

Post by Pars »

Last edited by Pars on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man out of Time

Elvis & the Imposters play City Hall, Sheffield, 7th March 2020

Post by Man out of Time »

Pars, I think you meant to start a new thread with this title?

Elvis and The Imposters play Sheffield City Hall on March 7. In the run up to announcing the 2020 UK Tour dates, Elvis posted a series of visual clues on Twitter pointing to the cities where concerts would take place. This was the clue for Sheffield:
Praise of Grumble
Praise of Grumble
Praise of Grumble.jpg (117.86 KiB) Viewed 34265 times
He captioned it "Praise of Grumble". Apparently the photo shows Derek Temple's goal for Everton beating Sheffield Wednesday 3-2 in the 1966 FA Cup Final."Praise Or Grumble" is a BBC Radio Sheffield football show.

Pete Thomas is a Sheffield lad (although he also has Brighton roots). This will be Elvis's twelfth show in the City of Sheffield, and the fourth with The Imposters.

This article in the Rotherham Advertiser previews the show, with an emphasis on support act Ian Prowse, whose publicist is clearly on the ball.

Who's going?

MOOT
Top balcony

Re: Elvis Costello General Discussion

Post by Top balcony »

Me - 66th Birthday present - if you're reading this Elvis "Route 66" would sound great..., or indeed "Waiting for the end of the world" in recognition of my mental state given the inevitable trophy success in May of the Not-So-Invincibles!

BTW that's Mike Trebilcock scoring for Everton against Sheff Wed : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... esday.html Derek Temple scored the winner.

Colin-in-the-side-stalls-with-his-partner-and-sister-in-law
Pars

Post by Pars »

Apologies to all. My first attempt at starting a new thread..and I fail miserably!! This Coronavirus panic is distracting me. Yes, I’ll be going. Really enjoyed the Nottingham gig on Monday but hoping for at least one choice cut from Blood & Chocolate on Saturday.
bronxapostle

Elvis Costello & the Imposters play City Hall Sheffield March 5, 2020

Post by bronxapostle »

Pars wrote:Apologies to all. My first attempt at starting a new thread..and I fail miserably!! This Coronavirus panic is distracting me. Yes, I’ll be going. Really enjoyed the Nottingham gig on Monday but hoping for at least one choice cut from Blood & Chocolate on Saturday.
Good news....go to your original post. YOU CAN STILL CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE.

Update...Better news!!! I was able to fix it too. When i realized one of my best buddies changes the thread title ALL THE TIME, :lol: :lol: i gave it a shot! IT WORKED... Cheers.

Oh no, wrong again....it didn't change ORIGINAL THREAD TITLE. MAYBE if you try it Pars.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Only the person who started a thread, can change the title of the thread (by logging in and going to the first post).
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Pars

Re: Elvis & the Imposters play City Hall, Sheffield, 7th March 2020.

Post by Pars »

Yes!!! Done it. Thanks for your assistance.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Good job ! Maybe see you there ?
Pars

Post by Pars »

That would be great. Any decent pubs nearby that you recommend ?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sweetest punch wrote:Only the person who started a thread, can change the title of the thread (by logging in and going to the first post).
Is this truth john foyle???? I thought you would definitely know this. :lol: :lol:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Problably a moderator can also change the title of a tread. :)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sweetest punch wrote:Problably a moderator can also change the title of a tread. :)
Ahhhh and king foyle is a mod i imagine. Cool and appropriate. And PLEASE....IF ANYONE KNOWS ANDREW IN SHEFFIELD, send my fondest regards.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:Problably a moderator can also change the title of a tread. :)
Ahhhh and king foyle is a mod i imagine. Cool and appropriate. And PLEASE....IF ANYONE KNOWS ANDREW IN SHEFFIELD, send my fondest regards.
You know what a small world this is, BA . I think Andrew’s sister is having my spare ticket , met him at Liverpool and Sunderland so I’ll pass your best wishes to him , no problems !
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

Pars wrote:That would be great. Any decent pubs nearby that you recommend ?
There are plenty of decent pubs in Sheffield, but not so many near the City Hall.

The nearest places are all cathedrals for the closing time choirs. I’d recommend seeking out either the Red Deer on Pitt Street, or The Bath Hotel on Victoria Street. Both are a short stroll to the City Hall.

If you fancy finding Fagan’s on Broad Lane, you’ll have a 50/50 chance of sharing the bar with Richard Hawley (and a ten minute walk back to the venue).
Pars

Post by Pars »

Many thanks John.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I’ve still got a circle ticket available at a huge cut price - if anyone’s interested fir the chance to see Elvis is Sheffield just pm me here !
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

sulky lad wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:
You know what a small world this is, BA . I think Andrew’s sister is having my spare ticket , met him at Liverpool and Sunderland so I’ll pass your best wishes to him , no problems !
Just contacted Andrew re tomorrow night - his sister can’t take my ticket so I’ve got a spare but he want me to send you his very best wishes to his very good friend, BA and to say sorry for dropping off the radar !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Please tell Andrew i still have all his little paperwork as a souvenir with the recordings i graciously received from him, probably twenty years or so back by now. Tell him no need to be sorry, life goes on and i am sorry to have been neglect to contact. And my email is the same as always. God bless us all for our great internet friendships. :D
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Will do BA abs hopefully one day internet friendships will become Face to Face ones :D
Pars

Post by Pars »

40 years of watching Elvis and I’ve never shouted out for a request. Always deemed it disrespectful... but I’m tempted to holler for “ Blue Chair “ tonight...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Pars wrote:40 years of watching Elvis and I’ve never shouted out for a request. Always deemed it disrespectful... but I’m tempted to holler for “ Blue Chair “ tonight...
He did it 4 months ago, so he might play it for you. I'd wait after about 8 or 10 songs into the show. I too, have NEVER yelled for a request. :P i hope you get it....
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Best night of the tour, Getting Mighty Crowded, The Greatest Love, he even just put a line of Michael Jackson’s Billy Jean in the end of something !!! Eat your heart out , everyone . Steve, Pete and Elvis all chatty , someone asked Pete about his childhood and he said he remembered being in his pram covered with soot . And I thought he would have been too tall to be shoved up chimneys !
Sound was brilliant but hard to hear the girls lots from Look Now and non stop to PLU - fantastic night , I’ve bender had a duff one in Sheffield . Tomorrow a day off, I’m going to choral evensong in the cathedral and to find a launderette !!!
Pars

Post by Pars »

bronxapostle wrote:
Pars wrote:40 years of watching Elvis and I’ve never shouted out for a request. Always deemed it disrespectful... but I’m tempted to holler for “ Blue Chair “ tonight...
He did it 4 months ago, so he might play it for you. I'd wait after about 8 or 10 songs into the show. I too, have NEVER yelled for a request. :P i hope you get it....
No show for Blue Chair but what a show!! 2hrs 15 minutes and with 2 songs from Momofuku & 3 from Look Now as well as Face in the Crowd, Elvis is certainly not pandering to the “ Best of Elvis Costello “ loving crowd. Wife and I listened to a Northern Soul collection during our drive to Sheffield so delighted that High Fidelity and Getting Mighty Crowded got an airing. Until next time.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... 9f9dc.html

Setlist

Strict Time
Clubland
Green Shirt
Accidents Will Happen
Watch Your Step
Just About Glad
Harry Worth
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
Suspect My Tears
Unwanted Number
Watching the Detectives
A Good Year for the Roses
A Face in the Crowd
I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
Mystery Dance
Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
High Fidelity
From a Whisper to a Scream
Alison
Mr. & Mrs. Hush
Pump It Up
Flutter & Wow
Everyday I Write the Book
Oliver's Army
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

I’m sure that Getting Mighty Crowded should be in there.

And something else too.

Not “Something Else”, although I’d like to hear that. I mean another song :D