Elvis & The Imposters play Nashville, TN, November 4, 2019

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters play Nashville, TN, November 4, 2019

Post by Man out of Time »

On Monday November 4, 2019 Elvis & The Imposters play the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN. Elvis was at the same venue only last month, for the Americana Awards. This will be his nineteenth appearance at the venue.

Nashville Scene published this preview by Stephen Trageser on June 24, 2019.

"Elvis Costello Plans Ryman Return
The chameleonic legend will be backed by The Imposters on his fall tour, called Just Trust

First, the bad news: Elvis Costello is undertaking a double headline tour with Blondie this summer, and it's not coming anywhere near Nashville. Before you start filling that beer with tears, here's a consolation prize that none would call "mere": Costello and his finely tuned band The Imposters have announced a fall tour that they'll headline on their own, and it will stop at the Ryman on Nov. 4.

Tickets run $55-$75 and go on sale this Friday, June 28, at 10 a.m. right here.

For many fans of musical polymath Costello, that's all you need to know. But if you require convincing, here's some of what the incredibly wide-ranging songsmith with deep Nashville ties has been up to since he last visited our fair city opening (yes, really) for Steely Dan in 2015. He had to postpone some tour dates following a cancer diagnosis that he described as far less a concern than was reported by the media. In October, he and The Imposters released Look Now, a characteristically diverse offering, lushly but tastefully embellished. (Below, hear two standout cuts, the wistful "Suspect My Tears" and the deceptively upbeat "Mr. & Mrs. Hush.") Recently, Costello also received (in a cheeky fashion, fittingly) an OBE from Queen Elizabeth as part of her birthday honors.

The upcoming tour, called Just Trust, is not going to be pulling solely from the new album, however. From the release:
The tour is entitled, “Just Trust” in answer to the musical questions: “Will they play my favourite song?," or, “Are they going to frighten the horses with a lot of excellent songs that are rarely performed?,” not to mention, “Can I expect the hits of yesteryear and those of tomorrow?"

To which we say: Just Trust Elvis Costello and The Imposters.
"
Elvis Costello at the Ryman, 6/21/2014<br />PHOTO: LANCE CONZETT
Elvis Costello at the Ryman, 6/21/2014
PHOTO: LANCE CONZETT
ElvisCostello_Ryman_20140621_Conzett.5d113fdd57e12.jpg (68.94 KiB) Viewed 33210 times
Who's going?

MOOT
Shellacandvinyl

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Nashville, TN, November 4, 2019

Post by Shellacandvinyl »

I will definitely be there! Can't wait!
And you try so hard
To be like the big boys, oh
https://twitter.com/shellacandvinyl
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Doc and I will be there :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Spooky - lovely to know you’re still around :D

And Nashville will be a stormer with loads of country tracks. I expect this to be one of the highlights of the tour.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Charles

Post by Charles »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Doc and I will be there :D
And so will I!!!
Charles

Post by Charles »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Spooky - lovely to know you’re still around :D

And Nashville will be a stormer with loads of country tracks. I expect this to be one of the highlights of the tour.
I’m hoping for, and expecting, the same!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

cfm123 wrote:
spooky girlfriend wrote:Doc and I will be there :D
And so will I!!!
Yay! It will be wonderful to see you!

And yes, verbal...I'm still around. ;-)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Anyone else for Nashville tonight? Anyone?? You know it's dangerous to miss a Ryman show, people! 8)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hope they play a blinder for you all tonight !
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Very encouraged by the lengthened set list!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/amp.tenness ... 4102851002

Elvis Costello returns to the Ryman Auditorium

Less than two months after he picked up a songwriting award on its stage, Elvis Costello made a quick, welcome return to Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium Monday night.

At his latest tour stop, the British rock troubadour tore through all 42 years of his celebrated songbook during a two-hour concert at country music's mother church.

Even better, he was flanked by The Imposters — the band that includes two-thirds of The Attractions, who fueled him through much of his best work in the ’70s and ‘80s.

Through a brisk show with many highlights, here's what stuck with us.

He’s still pitching songs to Nashville: "I didn't start out to be a singer, and I think that's fairly obvious," Costello quipped while seated behind a keyboard.

"It's like wishing to be a matinee idol. I wanted to be a songwriter originally, so I wrote this here song. And I thought it was gonna travel far, but nobody ever cut it. But there's still time!"

He was introducing "Different Finger," which was a big swing for a classic country sound when he released it on 1981's "Trust." That same year, he traveled to Nashville to record an entire album of country covers, "Almost Blue," which earned mixed reviews.

On Monday night, Costello also recalled the band's earliest visit to Nashville, back in 1979.

"I remember that night because Carl Perkins was gonna sit in with us that night....Then he saw us play a full show, and when we came off (stage), he was gone. He thought better of it, I think."

The element of surprise: Costello is calling this latest jaunt "Just Trust," and not because you'll get a decent helping of cuts from his 1981 album "Trust" (we counted five at the Ryman, including "Clubland" and "Watch Your Step.")

No, Costello wants fans to have faith. They're guaranteed to hear the likes of "Alison," "Watching The Detectives," "Pump It Up" and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding," but a good chunk of the set is switched up each night.

That can sting as much as it thrills: Nashville didn't get to hear "Radio Radio," "Less Than Zero" or "King Horse," but we did score "This Year's Girl," "Little Triggers" and "Party Girl."

The Imposters are the real deal: Since Costello no longer works with estranged bassist Bruce Thomas, his backing band has been called "The Imposters" since 2001. Sure, it's clever, but it sells the group short. Attractions keyboardist Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas are still backing him up, and sounding just as brilliant now as they did in 1978.

Alongside longtime bassist Davey Faragher, Costello's band also featured two powerful background vocalists, Briana Lee and Kitten Kuroi. Their presence allowed him to revisit a song he's almost never played live — like "From a Whisper to a Scream," recorded as a duet with Squeeze's Glenn Tilbrook.

They also added a new, harmony-rich dimension to cuts like "High Fidelty," and brought to life textures that had always been lurking on the records, but rarely make Costello's live show, like the ominous “oohs” in “Watching The Detectives.”

On Monday, he shared a little more perspective than his time at the podium that night allowed.

"You haven't seen that show yet, but you're in for a treat, because I was right in the middle of being very, very emotional. My brother, T Bone Burnett, who's here tonight, he made this beautiful speech, and I was in the company of all of these people, it was half my record collection when I was 17 years old. Delbert McClinton and Bonnie Raitt and John Prine.

And halfway through my halting words of acceptance, the smoke machine by the side of the stage malfunctioned and I disappeared in a cloud of smoke like the Wizard of Oz. And I thought, 'Well, there's a metaphor for my career.'"
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Nashville

Setlist

01. Strict Time
02. Clubland
03. Green Shirt
04. Accidents Will Happen - including Be Real
05. No Hiding Place
06. Watch Your Step
07. Little Triggers
08. Unwanted Number - including Ninety-Nine And A Half (Won't Do)
09. 13 Steps Lead Down
10. Moods For Moderns
11. Watching The Detectives
12. Different Finger - including Games People Play
13. Blood & Hot Sauce
14. A Face In The Crowd
15. This Year's Girl
16. Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter
17. High Fidelity
18. Party Girl
19. From A Whisper To A Scream
20. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
21. Stations Of The Cross
22. Crawling To The USA
23. Alison - including I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
24. Country Darkness
25. Everyday I Write The Book - including Mr. Big Stuff
26. Pump It Up
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bobbydriver

Post by bobbydriver »

Another decent length setlist, but they seem to be varying the length - is that just down to individual venue policies?
26 songs here, but only 19 in Ithaca for example. Some sets have been as short as 1 hour 40 mins

I guess I'm just worried that I'll feel short-changed on the UK leg where the ticket prices have nearly doubled if the set ends up being way shorter too
rockcat

Post by rockcat »

bobbydriver wrote:Another decent length setlist, but they seem to be varying the length - is that just down to individual venue policies?
26 songs here, but only 19 in Ithaca for example. Some sets have been as short as 1 hour 40 mins
I don't think the length has anything to do with venue policies. I think it's strictly a matter of Elvis' mood on any particular evening. If he's really feeling the crowd, then the energy in the room fuels him to play longer. Elvis loves when everybody is up on their feet (for more than just the encores). Chances are, if your audience doesn't do this, you're going to get a shorter set. Sometimes you get lucky and hit on a really hot night. Unfortunately, not every show can be a 10.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

It did appear that he enjoyed the venue enough to play a lengthier setlist, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed by the lack of country music. I *do* love me some country Elvis. Also a tad bummed about the lack of any KOA songs, but we get what we get. And I *did* get a picture with T Bone Burnett after the show, and things like that usually only happen at The Ryman. Very good to see some familiar faces and to meet some new friends as well. I'll get the pics from my phone to share here :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I must admit, it wasn’t the setlist I was expecting.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Shellacandvinyl

Post by Shellacandvinyl »

bobbydriver wrote:Another decent length setlist, but they seem to be varying the length - is that just down to individual venue policies?

I think he just loves playing the Ryman. I did think he was gonna end the show after Alison, he made the band stand up and take a bow but then had them go back and play Country Darkness.
And you try so hard
To be like the big boys, oh
https://twitter.com/shellacandvinyl
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

And I had just played TDM in the car on the drive to Nashville, so we were thrilled for that song! He played such a tremendous setlist in 2009 and loads of songs from KOA and the Sugarcanes were absolutely on point that night. I suppose I was expecting something more along those lines. Or that time he brought out Emmylou to sing with him. I was just as shocked as anyone else. And a little miffed that Atlanta got Suit of Lights the following night! ;-)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Elvis mentioned that T Bone was at the show, but we were thrilled to see him exit where we were waiting for Elvis afterwards. I didn't have anything for him to sign, so I just asked if he would mind a photo and he more than happily obliged!
Attachments
Tboneburnettryman.jpg
Tboneburnettryman.jpg (117.82 KiB) Viewed 32284 times
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Pictures of Doc and I with Elvis after the show. It was all rather rushed, so we got what we could! :)
Attachments
Elvis 3 2019.jpg
Elvis 3 2019.jpg (45.75 KiB) Viewed 32281 times
Elvis 2 2019.jpg
Elvis 2 2019.jpg (57.21 KiB) Viewed 32281 times
Elvis2019.jpg
Elvis2019.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 32281 times